• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Take a bus from Gijón to Avilés?

Solomonk

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte (Sept 2018)
Don't. Do. It. Why?
So my guidebook says this is the worst section (mostly industrial) of CamNor, so you won't miss a lot if you bus it out. What? I usually leave late and walk faster than average so I pass a bunch of same Cammers every day. Today not so on my way to Avilés. Did they all catch a set of wheels as it was raining too? I think you'll regret it one day if you don't walk every yard from Irun to Santiago regardless how crappy the Way is in some parts, ferries excluded (walking on water is better be left to pros). For the rest of your life you'll hear these words: "What!? You actually WALKED 833 km to Santiago!?" And your answer is either "Yes, I did!" or "Well, one day I took a bus, but I..." Which answer do you want to take home from this most amazing experience?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How to value the fact that you took a bus, train or taxi, solely depends on the goals you have set and your mental and fysical condition. This year I took a bus the first 10 km from Gyon because it was boring. I had no intention to walk to Santiago, so it did not feel like I missed out a stretch. 30 years ago I walked the Coast to Coast in England. Due to bad whether and because we got lost, we had to turn around. The next day we took a bus and did not walk a 10km stretch. That still feels like a miss, we did not walk from Coast to coast

If you are not sure whether you will regret taking the bus but don't want to walk this industrial slog, there is a wonderful alternative. After the town of Villaviciosa, there is a split. Straight ahead for Gijón, but turn left if you want to go into Oviedo. It's two easy walking days into Oviedo, with some nice albergues along the way, and the opportunity to visit the pre-Romanesque church of Valdediós.

From Oviedo, though the majority of people keep on the Primitivo, there is a very well marked route back from Oviedo to Avilés, no industry at all, so you have essentially made a triangle to avoid the Gijón to Avilés section. It does take a little more time, but is worth it, since Oviedo is one of Spain's loveliest mid sized cities!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't. Do. It. Why?
So my guidebook says this is the worst section (mostly industrial) of CamNor, so you won't miss a lot if you bus it out. What? I usually leave late and walk faster than average so I pass a bunch of same Cammers every day. Today not so on my way to Avilés. Did they all catch a set of wheels as it was raining too? I think you'll regret it one day if you don't walk every yard from Irun to Santiago regardless how crappy the Way is in some parts, ferries excluded (walking on water is better be left to pros). For the rest of your life you'll hear these words: "What!? You actually WALKED 833 km to Santiago!?" And your answer is either "Yes, I did!" or "Well, one day I took a bus, but I..." Which answer do you want to take home from this most amazing experience?
I even walked the long way - extra 6-8km instead of taking the short train ride at Boo de Piélagos. :D

Whether good, bad or ugly I just walk. It is all part of the Camino. Is it nice? No, not really, but then again there are always parts that are less pleasant no matter which Camino you walk.

@trecile didn't even know that that was an option;)

Last edited:
I even walked the long way - extra 6-8km instead of taking the short train ride at Boo de Piélagos. :D
Whether good, bad or ugly I just walk. It is all part of the Camino. Is it nice? No, not really, but then again there are always parts that are less pleasant do matter which Camino you walk.

@trecile didn't even know that that was an option;)

But the OP asked about Gijon and Aviles, not Boo and Mogro.

But since we’re talking Boo.... I once did that loop around, not on purpose, and it was an asphalt slog the entire way on the road. All I remember is a huge baptism/wedding place that had about 500 people celebrating. Not fun. The previous time I had walked over the train tracks, not the recommended way to do it, I know. But I have taken the train, too, and if you stay at the albergue in Boo, the stop is right outside the door. timing works well, I think the first one was around 7 and everyone from the albergue hopped right on.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't. Do. It. Why?

I agree with @peregrina2000 , and we're walking to Oviedo, and then back up to Avilés.
We're even staying two nights in Oviedo.
The cathedral at Oviedo is called San Salvador (Saviour), and there is a Spanish saying: "Quien va a Santiago y no al Salvador, visita al criado y no al Señor", which means "Who goes to Santiago and not to the Saviour, visits the servant and not the Lord". :)
Buen Camino !

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back