• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Take extra care in the current heat

N

NoQ

Today while walking from Carrion to Moratinos I came upon a pilgrim in trouble in the heat. On the rise to Ledigos she was sprawled on the ground panting for air and getting water poured over he head. She had apparently been there for about only 10 minutes according to a few other pilgrims who were there when she fell. It looked like she hadn't been wearing
anything on her head to
protect from the sun. About
35 degrees today.
Fortunately, it was by the
road so she was picked up
by a passing car quickly.

Need to take extra water while walking and cover up from the fire ball above.

Having said that, I personally think the current weather is fantastic.
Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Today while walking from Carrion to Moratinos I came upon a pilgrim in trouble in the heat. On the rise to Ledigos she was sprawled on the ground panting for air and getting water poured over he head. She had apparently been there for about only 10 minutes according to a few other pilgrims who were there when she fell. It looked like she hadn't been wearing
anything on her head to
protect from the sun. About
35 degrees today.
Fortunately, it was by the
road so she was picked up
by a passing car quickly.

Need to take extra water while walking and cover up from the fire ball above.

Having said that, I personally think the current weather is fantastic.
Buen Camino.
You are so wright , people have to think that they take enough wather with them.
And wearing something on there head .
I like this type of weather also its better than rain.:cool:
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hydrate and a hat.....
A good hat. Lightweight, and breathable. Probably a type with a brim all the way around is the best.
I would guess a minimum of four liters of water a day this time of year for the average pilgrim walking the average distances on the CF. If your urine is not clear, you are not hydrated.

Mark, that's pretty much what I told my wife, though it does cause issues with calls of nature, especially on our current flat open stages. It doesn't bother me so much though as I got used to it when my doctor told me, when I had a bout of kidney stones a few years ago I had to 'go' whenever I felt the need and she insisted on 'almost no matter where'.

I finished two weeks ago and it was hot enough then. I finish around 1 o'clock normally, partly to avoid people deciding if I am the Mad Dog or the Englishman in the song! Seriously though I cannot understand those driven people who miss out on the pleasures of the afternoon by walking through it. I couldn't help but notice how few people had anything on their head! I wear a hat like mentioned above with a brim all around. I also wear a buff around my neck. When it is hot I soak the buff and hat when I can.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mark, that's pretty much what I told my wife, though it does cause issues with calls of nature, especially on our current flat open stages. It doesn't bother me so much though as I got used to it when my doctor told me, when I had a bout of kidney stones a few years ago I had to 'go' whenever I felt the need and she insisted on 'almost no matter where'.
Yeah, some places along the Camino has more private spots to answer nature's call, and some don't. Honestly, nobody really notices you or cares if you can only find a spot near the path. After I slipped one time in the mud and busted my knee trying to get too far off the path, I said the heck with it and would just take a step or two off, and go. You got to stay hydrated.
I had a couple of co-workers get kidney stones and they told me they developed them because they did not drink much water and drank too many sodas as well as waiting too long to urinate.

Along with staying properly hydrated, I'm a big proponent of wearing trousers, collared long sleeve shirt, and a good sun hat. I know from my experience on the Camino Frances (Jun-Jul) that staying covered up kept the sun from sucking the life out of me, I wasn't nearly as exhausted compared to those who wore tank tops and shorts, along with the sunburn which adds to the dehydration and can make things worse.

Along with staying properly hydrated, I'm a big proponent of wearing trousers, collared long sleeve shirt, and a good sun hat. I know from my experience on the Camino Frances (Jun-Jul) that staying covered up kept the sun from sucking the life out of me, I wasn't nearly as exhausted compared to those who wore tank tops and shorts, along with the sunburn which adds to the dehydration and can make things worse.
I agree

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Excellent advice.

Arrived at Compo Naraya the temp gauge said 41(that's 105.8!). Yes a wide brim hat and I also have worn my Patagonia tropical hoody long sleve. I don't use the hood much but it does act as a buff when needed. Best thing is to completely wet it down at water fountains. It's like AC!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Arrived at Compo Naraya the temp gauge said 41(that's 105.8!). Yes a wide brim hat and I also have worn my Patagonia tropical hoody long sleve. I don't use the hood much but it does act as a buff when needed. Best thing is to completely wet it down at water fountains. It's like AC!
OK, I don't wear trousers or long sleeves shirt, but 100% cotton T-shirt which do exactly the same soaked with sweat as your buff is. The only difference is that I drink the water you are soaking your buff with. Less kidney and prostate problems I guess ;)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Umbrella
Umbrella
Umbrella

Hydrate
Hydrate
Hydrate

Hat
Hat
Hat

Frequent Rests in the Shade

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back