• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Take my running shorts?

Oravasaari

Helsinki, Finland
Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata March 2023
Fourth camino coming up and still undecided about which camino to tackle next but have also become a bit of a runner recently. Has anyone had experience of running parts of caminos?

I've reduced my essentials right down to almost nothing based on 3 caminos worth or experience, so no problem running with tiny runners' pack on my back etc. So maybe have option to run last 5, 10km (or a bit more depending on fitness) of non-mountainous section every otherday. i.e walk 20, run 5 or 10km, then walk 30 next day, repeat.

Will depend on time of year though (has to be early spring or late autumn due to temps etc.)

Has anyone attempted this? Done it? Drawbacks? Issues? Equipment? Rest days?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fourth camino coming up and still undecided about which camino to tackle next but have also become a bit of a runner recently. Has anyone had experience of running parts of caminos?

I've reduced my essentials right down to almost nothing based on 3 caminos worth or experience, so no problem running with tiny runners' pack on my back etc. So maybe have option to run last 5, 10km (or a bit more depending on fitness) of non-mountainous section every otherday. i.e walk 20, run 5 or 10km, then walk 30 next day, repeat.

Will depend on time of year though (has to be early spring or late autumn due to temps etc.)

Has anyone attempted this? Done it? Drawbacks? Issues? Equipment? Rest days?
Sorry, but I have always thought that the Camino was a slow attraction? Like Yoga ....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Qualified long distance runner here and I choose not to run any part of the camino. However, I saw a man (young and strong) running with a loaded backpack after leaving Burgos. Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Qualified long distance runner here and I choose not to run any part of the camino. However, I saw a man (young and strong) running with a loaded backpack after leaving Burgos. Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Sailor, Got a half marathon in mid May so need to run whilst on camino to keep in shape. As I'm going on camino Feb/March I'll need a bit more gear than in warmer months so I'll maybe take my "big" 33l Osprey so can pack running shoes for training and eve wear. Reckon 5km every other evening at destination will keep me ticking over until get back home etc.

Buena suerte para ti también, y que tus dioses te acompañen.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mister Oravasaari thanks for the update and good luck with your Thirteen-Miler in May. Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sailor, Got a half marathon in mid May so need to run whilst on camino to keep in shape. As I'm going on camino Feb/March I'll need a bit more gear than in warmer months so I'll maybe take my "big" 33l Osprey so can pack running shoes for training and eve wear. Reckon 5km every other evening at destination will keep me ticking over until get back home etc.

Hi @Oravasaari, you might find that you've no desire to run at the end of a day's walk. I contemplated bringing running shoes on one of my Caminos, thinking that I'd enjoy a run some evenings. I'm glad I didn't as it was the last think I wanted to do.

If you do most of the training for the HM before your Camino, you should have plenty of time to resume training for a May race when you get back. I've found that I can get back to running within a few days of returning from a walk. I've also found that hiking builds running strength and endurance - which more than compensates for a temporary loss of speed.

@timr might want to chime in here - he knows a lot about this stuff!

Hi @Oravasaari, you might find that you've no desire to run at the end of a day's walk. I contemplated bringing running shoes on one of my Caminos, thinking that I'd enjoy a run some evenings. I'm glad I didn't as it was the last think I wanted to do.

If you do most of the training for the HM before your Camino, you should have plenty of time to resume training for a May race when you get back. I've found that I can get back to running within a few days of returning from a walk. I've also found that hiking builds running strength and endurance - which more than compensates for a temporary loss of speed.

@timr might want to chime in here - he knows a lot about this stuff!

You are probably right! But as it will be my first half marathon I'm a bit of a slave to my training plan! I already take my Merrel Road Glove minimalist running shoes on camino as my evening footwear, so only need to take my skimpy running shorts too and I'm set should the urge bite. I'm accomplished at 30-40 km per day caminos so if I walk a short 15–20km every other day I think I might still be up for a quick 5km jog. Planning to go soon (end Feb, March time) si will be ideal jogging weather.

I was unable to get away to the Camino earlier in the year as planned and have since run my half marathon - but, I'm now able to go for a 2 week Camino June 13-27th Yipee! I plan to run/walk from Burgos and see how far I get (maybe to Ponferrada). Depending on how warm it is I'll likely walk 3-5km then run 2-3km repeats, only running every other day. I quite fancy just doing between 25-30 km/day so that I stay in touch with any camino buddies etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Oravasaari, thank you for the update. I hope your HM went well. I met a young Spanish man when I was walking the Camino Ingles, he was running the Camino. The young man ran past me and a little later, I met him in Bar Julia where he was taking a break and I just had to ask him about running the Camino. He had a tiny backpack with a change of clothes, a few toiletries and a towel. I'm a runner and it seems like a wonderful run.
All the best to you and buen camino

We are all distance runners and on the last 2 Caminos planned to run sections occasionally and run on rest days. Didn't happen on the Frances but got back into it straight after and were amazed how strong we felt. Didn't happen this time on the Norte but have had a couple of runs now we are in A Coruna and it was fine.
Mind you, we walk fast and on the uphills very strongly, and we cover a lot of distance (we had two 53km days on the Norte, which we didn't plan for but had no choice but to walk as taxis and buses aren't our choice) which keeps your stamina up. Saw runners on the Frances and watched enviously as they passed but saw no one run on the Norte this time. Go for it, take the running gear and enjoy the scenery. What better way to train for a marathon

Hi Oravasaari, thank you for the update. I hope your HM went well. I met a young Spanish man when I was walking the Camino Ingles, he was running the Camino. The young man ran past me and a little later, I met him in Bar Julia where he was taking a break and I just had to ask him about running the Camino. He had a tiny backpack with a change of clothes, a few toiletries and a towel. I'm a runner and it seems like a wonderful run.
All the best to you and buen camino

Yes, I'm really looking forward to it! Have an Osprey 5l running pack with 1l bladder. Total weight 1.3kg (2.3kg with full water bladder). Did a half marathon run 2k/walk 3k yesterday to test everything out and the pack is pretty unnoticable/snug and not too much bouncing around. Temperature was only 20 deg C, we will see how warmer temperatures affect the run v walk/cool down distances. If it's too hot one day I won't push it too much. On the run/walk days I'll start early and cover approx 25km in 3.5 hrs so should be "rehydrating" in the bar/cafe by midday!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are all distance runners and on the last 2 Caminos planned to run sections occasionally and run on rest days. Didn't happen on the Frances but got back into it straight after and were amazed how strong we felt. Didn't happen this time on the Norte but have had a couple of runs now we are in A Coruna and it was fine.
Mind you, we walk fast and on the uphills very strongly, and we cover a lot of distance (we had two 53km days on the Norte, which we didn't plan for but had no choice but to walk as taxis and buses aren't our choice) which keeps your stamina up. Saw runners on the Frances and watched enviously as they passed but saw no one run on the Norte this time. Go for it, take the running gear and enjoy the scenery. What better way to train for a marathon

Yes, I'm hoping it will give me a good base for my marathon training. I'll report back on the experience for sure! If you are Strava app users you could follow me if you like (will upload run and walk data to there). PM me if so...

I would like to hear how it works out walking and running so please keep us updated. I have thought about running the Camino Ingles and have my bag transported. I have never had my bag transported so it is a huge steep for me. Are you planning to do the Camino with only your 5 l Osprey running pack or are you bringing a bigger pack and having it transported?

I would like to hear how it works out walking and running so please keep us updated. I have thought about running the Camino Ingles and have my bag transported. I have never had my bag transported so it is a huge steep for me. Are you planning to do the Camino with only your 5 l Osprey running pack or are you bringing a bigger pack and having it transported?

Taking just the 5l pack, so running with everything I need on me (not very much!) After 3 long caminos I've slimmed the essentials down to almost nothing. Only taking a silk liner, one change of clothes, a shemagh for a towel, a waterproof jacket, plus the usual odds and sods. Total weight 1.3kg, 2.3kg when 1l water hydration system full.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As an ultra runner, and for my 50th birthday present (!!), I ran the CF in 2015 and had the most amazing time. Yes, a different experience from most but an intense and deeply spiritual experience nonetheless. I had a different Camino family every day ;) Incidentally, I didn’t go superlight as I wanted guidebook, journal etc, and personally I need a sleeping bag! See link to my blog in my signature
My wife, Jenny, and I have just returning from walking the CF. Due to her work constraints, we walked it in 3 sections over 3 years. SJPDP to Burgos in 2016, Burgos to Ponferrada last year, and Ponferrada to Santiago, followed by Finisterre/Muxia this year. Another fabulous experience and This year Jenny had her 50th birthday on the Camino which was wonderful. We’re already planning next year’s Camino.
Do what’s right for you and Buen Camino.

Good luck and buen camino. I'll look forward to your updates on the Camino!

Well things went a bit pear-shaped straight from the off with my flight delay causing me to miss my bus connection to Logrono. So I took the overnight bus to Pamplona. Have managed to run everyother day as well as put in some monster walking days (58km yesterday St Domingo to Cardenuela Riopico). So I should be able to cover Pamplona to Leon in 12 walking days. In Rabe de la Calzada now and looking forward to going across the Meseta. Hope to put in some longer runs on this section due to the flatness.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well things went a bit pear-shaped straight from the off with my flight delay causing me to miss my bus connection to Logrono. So I took the overnight bus to Pamplona. Have managed to run everyother day as well as put in some monster walking days (58km yesterday St Domingo to Cardenuela Riopico). So I should be able to cover Pamplona to Leon in 12 walking days. In Rabe de la Calzada now and looking forward to going across the Meseta. Hope to put in some longer runs on this section due to the flatness.

Wishing you a Buen Camino! I'm interested to see how the walk & run combination works out for you. When I first replied to this thread in January, I commented that I never felt the urge to run on a Camino. That view has 'evolved' in recent months and I seem to have turned into a wannabe ultra-runner. @Rich1, your blog is partly to blame for that!

Wishing you a Buen Camino! I'm interested to see how the walk & run combination works out for you. When I first replied to this thread in January, I commented that I never felt the urge to run on a Camino. That view has 'evolved' in recent months and I seem to have turned into a wannabe ultra-runner. @Rich1, your blog is partly to blame for that!

I think the 5-10km run every other day approach works well. I have been keeping pace with one guy who runs whole sections and walks others. Far too hot for me to be running half marathon+ distances, although that might be possible in March/April or Oct/Nov. I highly recommend the walk/run approach. People do think you are a bit mad though ;-)

Well after sucessfully testing a run/walk approach - Pamplona-Leon June 2018 I'm seriously considering run/walking the whole CF in March/April 2019! Initial plan is to everyday walk 5km to warm-up, then run a half marathon (21km) then walk another 5 km to cool-down. By keeping to a 30 km per day target I'll not lose touch with any camino buddies etc. Last June was a little too warm to run more than 5-10km at a time but I figure mid March onwards would be ideal for running (temperature-wise.) Yes, I know I probably sound a bit bonkers!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.