• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Take what you read here with a grain of salt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Healthful

Time of past OR future Camino
Siempre
This is a great forum for information sharing, however, take whatever you read here with a grain of salt. I can say from experience that there were many things I read here that swayed my path, and not always for the best.

One of the things about El Camino de Santiago is its organic nature. Pilgrims will go through trials and tribulations they never imagined, get through them, and come out for the better.

Preparation is good, planning is smart, but don't let advice here calcify in your mind or heart because when you walk you want your heart and mind to be wide open to receive all the blessings the Camino has to offer.

It will challenge you and alter you, and that's a good thing.

I'm just concerned that taking too much advice here will override your basic instincts, which are vital on the camino.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Could you be a bit more specific? Because the variety on this wonderful forum is enormous. The things I read here range from 'be careful' to 'don't worry'.

This is a great forum for information sharing, however, take whatever you read here with a grain of salt.
A pretty broad statement but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Undertaking any long hike/pilgrimage without advise is just plain foolish and expecting "the camino to provide" can be both irresponsible and disappointing.
Remember the old adage "trust in Allah but tether your camel.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When car sat-nav systems were still a new and unfamiliar thing our UK newspapers often printed stories of people who had followed their instructions absolutely - without hesitation and apparently without thought - and found themselves driving into rivers, on to railway tracks and into other unwise places. Many of us will ask others for their opinions and advice on something from time to time but at the end of the day as rational and responsible adults our final decisions must be our own. Isn't that really just stating the obvious?

and come out for the better.

IMHO people do not always come out " better " from a pilgrimage. That implies that one was " worse " before starting a Camino.
Neither is an altered state always a good thing.

Sometimes walking a Camino is just what it is : mere walking and that is good on it's own.
It is all good!

A pretty broad statement but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Undertaking any long hike/pilgrimage without advise is just plain foolish and expecting "the camino to provide" can be both irresponsible and disappointing.
Remember the old adage "trust in Allah but tether your camel.

Your statement is broad. Will it stand up to scrutiny? Time will tell.

There is nothing foolish about undertaking a very long walk.

A very long walk will save some of us, and entertain others along the way.

Walk everyday...that may save you.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
IMHO people do not always come out " better " from a pilgrimage. That implies that one was " worse " before starting a Camino.
Neither is an altered state always a good thing.

Sometimes walking a Camino is just what it is : mere walking and that is good on it's own.
It is all good!

Yes probably so. Some after a walk might feel worse. However, and hopefully, most come out better. So, walk on and Buen Camino!!!

take whatever you read here with a grain of salt.

I guess that goes about almost everything you read or hear just about everywhere. Always apply your own good judgement. If your message is that you should be open, receptive and ready to adapt and change and not be locked in predetermined attitudes, then I agree – and not only on the Camino….

This is a great forum for information sharing, however, take whatever you read here with a grain of salt. I can say from experience that there were many things I read here that swayed my path, and not always for the best.

One of the things about El Camino de Santiago is its organic nature. Pilgrims will go through trials and tribulations they never imagined, get through them, and come out for the better.

Preparation is good, planning is smart, but don't let advice here calcify in your mind or heart because when you walk you want your heart and mind to be wide open to receive all the blessings the Camino has to offer.

I'm just concerned that taking too much advice here will override your basic instincts, which are vital on the camino.

Buen Camino!

The focus of this forum is "Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn". I'm not sure what you mean by "too much advice". Advice is just that...advice. Each of us alone is responsible for using what we learn from what is shared.

Last edited:
There is nothing foolish about undertaking a very long walk.
You misquote me, this is what I actually said "Undertaking any long hike/pilgrimage without advise is just plain foolish" and no, there is absolutely nothing foolish about undertaking a very long walk provided you are prepared both mentally, physically and have adequate equipment for said walk otherwise you are just putting both your own well being and others at risk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Healthful what is your point? Why did you open this thread?

Please don’t ask that –if we had to have clear, rational reasons for opening a thread, I think many threads would be in jeopardy …………. I guess that sometimes we like discussing-just-for the-sake-of-discussing discussions and getting responses from others on arbitrary matters 😁

OOh! I see we've been relegated to misc topics! I guess that what I brought up could not possibly be instrumental or valuable to the many that traverse this site...

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus of this forum is "Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn". I'm not sure what you mean by "too much advice". Advice is just that...advice. Each of us alone is responsible for using what we learn from what is shared.

My focus is on any pilgrim benefiting from this forum. Reading a lot, thinking even more...and then deciding for him or for her what is true...and then walking to test what they believe...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Why? What's wrong with inquiry and then debate? I posted what I posted to possibly help some of those on the fence about things. Why would you jump on that?
Because you are going nowhere. In the title you suggest something. Take something with a grain of salt: to accept something while maintaining a degree of scepticism about its truth. But it is completely unclear (at least to me) what you have read on this forum that made you think that way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just one advice: maybe you could choose a less provocative title next time you would just like to philosophise a bit about nothing in particular...
Also, why is it provocative to lead with, "take what you read here with a grain of salt?"

That's just saying, take whatever you ever read or hear with a grain of salt. That's provocative? Were your programmed early on not to question anything?

There's nothing provocative about encouraging others to think on their own. I stand by what I said, "take everything you read here with a grain of salt." That should be enough.

Last edited:
Oh, just spit it out and don't beat around the bush, @Healthful ☺. Is it about the mobile phones? 😇

Yeah kinda! No, seriously though...I think a lot of open heart pilgrims come here for information. It's the heavy handed advice here that worries me. Frankly, I hope it doesn't deter them or worry them enough that they leave and look elsewhere.

I think anyone that's made it this far, ready to partake in a pilgrimage...they're read to rock and roll.

I want them to partake on their Camino of choice. That's about it.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Would you mind being specific and give examples? If you want honest discussion, then we need something to grasp besides air. :)

Wouldn't that just spark controversy and endless debate?

I encouraged people to go with their gut in my very first post. That stirred controversy!

So I'll just reiterate to anyone on this forum, take any advice you read here with a grain of salt, and trust your instincts above all. Thanks!

Last edited:
Wouldn't that just spark controversy and endless debate?

Of that's really what you want, seek and you shall find.

As far as I'm concerned, your postings and answers are nothing more than trolling. I do not see where a genuine desire for discussion exists, as anything specific to discuss is missing in action. What I read is continuous provocation and deflection anytime a Forum member asks for clarification.

When you tell me "[If] that's really what you want, seek and you shall find" it is obvious that it is YOU who are trying to stir trouble where none needs to exist.

I hope the Moderators will close this thread.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As far as I'm concerned, your postings and answers are nothing more than trolling. I do not see where a genuine desire for discussion exists, as anything specific to discuss is missing in action. What I read is continuous provocation and deflection anytime a Forum member asks for clarification.

When you tell me "[If] that's really what you want, seek and you shall find" it is obvious that it is YOU who are trying to stir trouble where none needs to exist.

Yikes.

Have to agree with you on this one. This thread’s energy is going far away from Santiago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yikes is right. I've reported the thread to the moderators, so they can decide if Forum rules against trolling have been violated.

The shame of it is, the title of the thread held promise for a meaningful discussion. I hope you take the time to re-read the posts on the thread.

I see. I wish you the best and as always, Buen Camino!

Don't quite understand why the post is perceived as controversial or trolling. I think I agree with the general message of the OP (taking too much advice may contradict the general instincts), but then again this message also needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't quite understand why the post is perceived as controversial or trolling. I think I agree with the general message of the OP (taking too much advice may contradict the general instincts), but then again this message also needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Thank you! All advice or messages must be taken with a grain of salt.

It is the entirety of the author's responses on the thread, not a singular post, that is trollish.
I don't understand. Would you like to pick apart a well-intended fellow pilgrim, or join the discussion? I'm confused by where you're putting your energy here. Take a deep breath. I will too. Ok, good. Now, you're a pilgrim. I'm a pilgrim. We're sharing here. We're sharing thoughts and hopes and feelings and stories of the Camino. That's all this is. Ok?

I want potential pilgrims to be filled with good advice from these forums, but never to not take their first step based on what they read here. That was my point. Chill.

Finally, Marc S. said it best, "taking too much advice may contradict the general instincts."

That is what I wanted to post in a nutshell. I have posted this idea and it's been lodged.

Now we'll see if the naysayers win in taking down my voice--an honest well-tended thought--for no good reason.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maybe its a language thing but from where I come being told to to take something that a person tells you with a grain of salt is to say that that person is lying or trying to deceive you and if that is what you believe from all the advice you have asked and got from this forum then I wonder if at this stage if you are not just trolling and, if you have bothered to read the rules, will know that is not allowed.

Maybe its a language thing but from where I come being told to to take something that a person tells you with a grain of salt is to say that that person is lying or trying to deceive you and if that is what you believe from all the advice you have asked and got from this forum then I wonder if at this stage if you are not just trolling and, if you have bothered to read the rules, will know that is not allowed.

"This is a great forum for information sharing, however, take whatever you read here with a grain of salt."

Yes, I'm quoting myself. It seems a reasonable, well-intended reminder for everyone here.

It simply means, glean what you can here, but know that what is true for you is the truest. And do not let naysayers, here or in life, sway you from your path.

Thanks!

I would opine that taking too much advice might give false expectations rather than override anything..

The Forum is a blend of personal experience and enlightenment, gripes, factual information, and opinion. Occasionally facts are in dispute, but that usually is resolved because "facts are facts." Personal experience and enlightenment is fun because we see the Camino through the eyes of others. Gripes can create long threads; the venting is useful for the OP and repliers as well.

Opinions can be beneficial or toxic. An opinion is never right or wrong, though it can be founded on a fact that is right or false. If a new pilgrim allows others' opinions to "override your basic instincts," it may be the wrong thing to do.

There are 7.5 billion world views out there. They may all be right, but taking all of them with a grain of salt could be a good idea.:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Also, why is it provocative to lead with, "take what you read here with a grain of salt?"

That's just saying, take whatever you ever read or hear with a grain of salt. That's provocative? Were your programmed early on not to question anything?

There's nothing provocative about encouraging others to think on their own. I stand by what I said, "take everything you read here with a grain of salt." That should be enough.
Sure. Shall I open a thread stating that it is better to get out of bed and pee instead of the other way around?

This is my final word on this never ending story, why even ask for advice if you are going to take the advice with a grain of salt, and repeating the phrase hasn't answered any of the questions posed. As I have posted in this thread I will leave the decision of its future to the other moderators.

Sure. Shall I open a thread stating that it is better to get out of bed and pee instead of the other way around?

If that somehow moves you. Your thread idea would not interest me, personally.

This is my final word on this never ending story, why even ask for advice if you are going to take the advice with a grain of salt, and repeating the phrase hasn't answered any of the questions posed. As I have posted in this thread I will leave the decision of its future to the other moderators.

I think I can speak to your question, wayfarer. Why ask for advice if one is just going to take it with a grain of salt?

Because advice is another point of view to throw in the mix, ponder over, consider...it adds to the discussion or contemplation. It can be valuable, of course, but it's up the individual to decide if what is true for another, (the advice giver), is also true for them.

Trolling – (verb), as it relates to internet, is the deliberate act, (by a Troll – noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument

Trolling on-line forums as described above is actually analogous to the fishing technique of “trolling”, where colorful baits and lures are pulled behind a slow moving boat, often with multiple fishing lines, covering a large bodies of water, such as a large lake or the ocean.

The trolling lures attract unsuspecting fish, intriguing them with the way they move through the water, thus enticing these foolish fish to “take the bait”. Not unlike unsuspecting internet victims, once hooked, the fish are reeled in for the catch before they realize they have been duped by the Troll/Fisherman

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back