• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Takeaways from our first Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept–Oct 2022
We completed our first camino (Camino Francés) Sept.–Oct. this year. We planned for a year, seeking advice from veterans in this forum, YouTube vlogs, Facebook groups, Reddit and various blogs and websites. This forum was by far the most helpful, so I wanted to follow up and share some of our takeaways for anyone else who may be planning their first camino soon. Apologies in advance for the length of the post.

We got a LOT of great advice from members of this forum — some we heeded immediately and some we ignored until we were on the camino dealing with a scenario that reminded us of the sage wisdom we'd previously discounted. I'm sure everyone starts with an idealized vision of what their camino will be, but once you're on the Camino, you realize some things you thought would be important aren't, and some things you didn't give much thought to have greater impact than you imagined. My first takeaway was, it's OK to let go of the idealized vision of the camino you started with — it will still be better than you imagined!

In the planning stages, we focused a lot on packing light. We bought 38L and 36L backpacks, ultralight/packable gear, and kept the weight to 16lbs (7kg). I was committed to carrying my backpack everyday as long as I wasn't injured. I don't know if it was pride, a misinterpreted obligation to have an "authentic" camino, some form of self-induced penance, or a combination of these things; but after a couple of weeks of slogging that 16lb bag up hill, after hill, after hill, and realizing how miserable the thought of strapping it to my back made me every morning, I finally let go of my idea that sending the bags ahead was a sign of weakness. This allowed me to enjoy the walk instead of seeing each day as a trial of endurance, and it brought our actual camino experience much closer in line with our ideal of what the camino would be.

Our plan was to complete the Camino, from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Finisterre, in 35 days, walking an average of 16 miles per day with several longer days of about 20 miles closer to the end of the trip. One of the most common pieces of advice we heard from veterans was that we should consider stretching our camino to more days with shorter distances. Unfortunately, we were limited on the days we could take off from work and wanted to pack in as much as we could not knowing if we'd ever be able to do another Camino. And this is my biggest regret — we didn't have enough time to enjoy the places we passed through or to explore and get to know the places we stayed each day. In retrospect, there were some things we could have done differently to give us more time.

Each day, we would set out when the sun came up, usually closer to 8 a.m. because we wanted to see the places we were walking through. We'd stop for breakfast and lunch along the way and then push through all the villages in between without stopping so we could make it to our destination with enough time to do our laundry. We only brought 2 changes of clothes and failed to anticipate how much time would be consumed by doing laundry every day.

Averaging 16 miles a day, we usually arrived at our next stop around 2–3 p.m. By the time we'd shower and get laundry going, it was usually 4–5 p.m. Some places had laundry service, so we could drop off our clothes and go exploring, but most days we had to either find a laundromat, or use the machines/clotheslines provided, which you can't leave unattended, and you often have to wait for your turn. By the time laundry was done and we'd re-packed our bags for the next day, it was 7–8 p.m. and time to eat dinner.

So, my second takeaway was, consider the trade-off. While it's certainly wise to limit what you bring, if we hadn't been so focused on packing light so we could carry our backpacks each day, we could have brought larger bags and 3 or 4 changes of clothes reducing our laundry days to twice a week. For us, the trade-off for making the backpacks easier to carry was spending a lot of time, the most valuable commodity, doing laundry.

Another regret we have is losing contact with the cohort we started with on the Camino. We decided to rent e-bikes and cut our time on the Meseta down from 9 days to 5 in order to give ourselves a rest day and a few days to see more of Spain before heading home. This meant that we left the group we had been traveling with for almost 2 weeks — the people we met when we arrived in St. Jean, the ones who encouraged us as we struggled up the Pyrenees, the ones who showed us the way down into Roncesvalles, the ones we shared our first dinner with, and all the familiar faces we met over and again as we moved from village to village. And even though we met and got to know many new people along the way, there's something special about the group that you start out with. While I wouldn't change the decision to jump ahead, my third takeaway is that I wish we would have spent more time getting to know some of those "day ones" better and found a way to stay in contact.

Walking as a couple, the best advice we got was to make a game plan for how we would walk together, set some ground rules and talk about contingency plans beforehand. I have no doubt that doing this saved us from arguments every single day! For example, I like to stop and take a lot of photos but my husband likes to keep moving and get to the next stop. So, our "rule" was that if I stopped to take pictures it was perfectly fine for him to keep walking and I would catch up with him at the next stop. We also decided that our health was the top priority for the camino, so if one of us couldn't continue walking we would stop together and rest, and/or find alternate transportation if needed.

Although we're active (running, biking, swimming, etc.), we're not hikers and we live in the flatlands of the Gulf Coast in the US. So, the mountains and hills were hard for us — not impossible, but much harder than we imagined, even though we walked 5-10 miles daily with loaded packs for 9 months before the camino. This brings me to my final takeaway — the most important thing we learned was, no amount of planning and preparation will guarantee a camino that meets your expectations, so you need to be flexible enough to adjust your plans and your expectations.

There were several things I planned in advance because I wanted an "authentic" camino experience, including some very long walk days in the first week so we could stay at specific albergues for the traditions they offered. As we got closer to those long walk days and we realized we didn't have the stamina to complete them without risking injury, we adjusted our plans to walk shorter stages, and we adjusted our expectations of what an "authentic" camino experience looks like. Toward the end of our camino, we even grew to the point that we relaxed the expectations we had on ourselves to complete our camino the way other people thought it should be completed.

When we were planning our camino, I loved reading other peoples' takeaways, so I hope someone finds this helpful. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some very valuable insights in this thank you. Especially maybe the part about always carrying your rucksack ? I too felt I was somehow cheating when I sent my pack ahead but really by not putting myself under unnecessary pressure I was able to enjoy the actual walking much more
Also by being able to pack more changes less laundry time (an awful waste of precious Camino time)
Thanks Canito6671 for sharing 🥰

Thanks for sharing your "lessons learned" and your experiences!

Just curious - did you also mail some stuff home? I find no matter how light I "think" I have packed - I have things that I decide I don't really need and mail them home.

Clothing - yes - this is a big one for me! It is funny because most people say wear one set of clothes, pack one set of clothes - and yes, that means you have to wash clothes EVERY DAY. I despise having to wash my clothes EVERY DAY. I ended up buying more clothes on my first Camino because I was too cold - but learned I like having extra clothes. Anyhow - I advise people that you only NEED those 2 sets of clothes, but I add that I prefer at least one extra outfit so I don't have to do laundry every day.

Still - I do manage to pack lighter with each long distance hike. In fact, my bag is packed right now and is significantly lighter than my last 2 packed bags, and I even got down to a 24L for my next Camino.

Anyhow - I now bring 1 set of clothes to wear plus 3 packed sets of clothes - but they are SUPER lightweight. Totally overkill, but I enjoy myself more when I am not stressed about whether or not my laundry will dry in time. I found 2 very lightweight merino wool (blend with something else) fabric dresses, 1 t-shirt, 1 tank-top, one athletic shorts, 1 silk yoga pants, 1 long sleeve shirt. I even have multiple pairs of sock liners and merino wool socks. But again- they are all super light weight and all my other gear is "ultralight" with the exception of the backpack. Anyhow - my completely packed bag for the Camino is down to 5kg, with all these clothes included (even those that I will wear). Only thing not included in that weight that I am brining is my trail running shoes - but all my other "worn" and packed clothes/gear are currently in the bag.

Unfortunately, I decided to do the Via Francigena next - so need to add gear and probably go back to my bigger bag (30L).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the detailed impressions, @Canito6671. It’s always so helpful to read real-time reactions, especially from “newbies.” I hope you don’t think that I’m being condescending using that term, but your experience is likely to be much closer to what the prospective pilgrim is going to grapple with.

You are right that there is a trade-off for carrying your own pack and keeping it light. I’m an old school peregrina who started walking when there was no luggage transfer, and I have stuck with that program. I have never tried luggage transfer, and I hope to carry my own pack till I’m too feeble to carry it, for a variety of reasons. First, the sense of self-reliance it gives. I don’t need to wait for anyone, to rely on anyone, to get my belongings to my next stop. I know that I do rely on thousands of people to provide for me as I walk, to give me shelter, to make my food, but I like the feeling of moving from one place to another with everything I need to continue my journey. Then there’s the flexibility. I know that the hard core “carry your own pack” people point to not being tied down as a huge advantage. Frankly, I almost always know where I hope to spend the night when I leave in the morning (in part because the caminos I walk now don’t have many options), but there have been a couple of times when my plans changed abruptly during the day and it would have been a big hassle if my pack were elsewhere. I like having that freedom in the back pocket even if I don’t use it much.

A concern that seems to be growing, though, is the logistics of the pack transfer and the potential for mix-ups, theft and loss. I’m kind of flabbergasted that we have threads now on using air tags to track your pack, on money gone missing from sign-up transfer envelopes, on packs that disappear from the piles waiting to be picked up on one end of the stage or the other. I won’t say it’s a huge problem now, but there are enough reports on the forum of packs gone astray that I would factor that risk in. When I walk into Santiago, I inevitably wind up merging onto a well-traveled route, and I frequently see pilgrims who can’t find their bags, and as I look at the huge piles of packs and suitcases, I am thankful I have mine right on my back! Like you said, it’s a trade-off and everyone will figure out what works best for them.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. I don’t know what kind of laundry routine you have, but it takes me no more than 10 minutes to wash out my underwear, socks, shirt and pants. Add soap, scrub a bit, rinse and hang to dry. But maybe my standards are much lower than yours!

You had some very good comments about letting go of the idealized camino expectations! And that can include the issue of pack transport. I find that my "day pack" would often weigh about 3 kg anyway, so I just add the other 3 kg and carry it all.

I wonder about the excessive laundry time. I think this might come from following the advice to alternate two sets of walking clothes - wearing one in the day, washing it at night, wearing the next day's clothes to bed, etc.

I have two basic outfits - daytime/walking, and evening/sleeping. Some extra layers can be used for both. I wear the same walking outfit every day and I don't mind if it is a bit dirty. At my destination, after my shower, I change into an evening outfit that generally stays clean. This way, I only need to wash the trousers and shirts once or twice a week. I wash my socks and underwear everyday, and in hot weather I wash the very light tank top that absorbs the sweat. That can be done very quickly in a sink.

Thanks for coming back with your summary! Are you planning another Camino?

There are some valuable insights here, and the OP's conclusions are legitimate, of course. May I offer some alternative conclusions?
For me, while I still can carry my own pack, I will carry my own pack. That is an essential part of my Camino - the flexibility to respond to opportunities and challenges as they arise. To take a look at accommodation before committing to it. To reach 3pm and decide to walk until 4pm. To see a fabulous church and hang around to see inside, without worrying about reaching my distant bed. But also to continue the tradition of many thousands of pilgrims to Santiago before me.
One day I will give in to my age and declining strength and use the pack-transport service - and I respect those for whom the Camino is important but impossible or too arduous to undertake without those services.
In the meantime, instead of dumping the pack, why not adjust the length of the Camino to a shorter daily distance e.g. start from Pamplona rather than SJPdP? The Camino is not an all-or-nothing experience; a shorter Camino is still a Camino.
As for laundry: I wash my underwear, socks and polyester t-shirt by hand immediately after my shower each day. Ten minutes to wash then get it on the outdoor line to dry! If it's not properly dry in the morning, I attach it to my pack and dry it as I walk. I resort to a machine at larger towns or when the albergue offers such a facility, every four or five days, when I also include my hiking shorts or trousers and a long sleeve midlayer and also pay for a cool tumble-dry.
I usually blog or scan the news on my phone while the machine is in action.

I emphasise, I am not saying that my way is better than others, but it works for me!

However you choose to make your Way work for you, Happy Christmas and Buen Camino for next time!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
By the time laundry was done and we'd re-packed our bags for the next day, it was 7–8 p.m. and time to eat dinner
it takes me no more than 10 minutes to wash out my underwear, socks, shirt and pants. Add soap, scrub a bit, rinse and hang to dry
I now bring 1 set of clothes to wear plus 3 packed sets of clothes - but they are SUPER lightweight. Totally overkill, but I enjoy myself more when I am not stressed about whether or not my laundry will dry in time. I found 2 very lightweight merino wool (blend with something else) fabric dresses, 1 t-shirt, 1 tank-top, one athletic shorts, 1 silk yoga pants, 1 long sleeve shirt. I even have multiple pairs of sock liners and merino wool socks
I wonder about the excessive laundry time. I think this might come from following the advice to alternate two sets of walking clothes - wearing one in the day, washing it at night, wearing the next day's clothes to bed, etc.
I wash my underwear, socks and polyester t-shirt by hand immediately after my shower each day. Ten minutes to wash then get it on the outdoor line to dry! If it's not properly dry in the morning, I attach it to my pack and dry it as I walk

I note that what we do for some activities en route can be "conditioned" by how we do those activities at home, or by experiences en route.

An advert starring Sir Peter Blake of Americas Cup fame from about 1995 was that merino tops only needed washing once a week. And my experience of cotton tops taking forever to dry. That conditioning drives my choice for three merino tops - two short sleeve for normal wear and one long sleeve for warmth when required.

My underpants are polyester boxer shorts. My socks are also polyester - knee length - one is light compression for varicose veins the - the outer layer is more colourful and reflects the occasional advice for a little movement between foot and shoe.

For me the driver to carry more than one of a necessary item is whether it is likely to wear out en route and the probability of finding a near similar replacement.

I echo the advice from @Tandem Graham: I am not saying that my way is better than others, but it works for me!

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

I can never get my head around what people pack that makes for a 7kg pack and still don't feel like they have enough clothes. At ~50g a boxer, ~100g a t-shirt and ~35g a pair of socks I don't think its them that make the pack heavy. I also did pack two spares each this time, but that really felt plenty for me (and was not really needed). But i agree totally, sometimes a little extra weight in your backpack can make for a whole lot of extra comfort.

As for laundry: I wash my underwear, socks and polyester t-shirt by hand immediately after my shower each day. Ten minutes to wash then get it on the outdoor line to dry! If it's not properly dry in the morning, I attach it to my pack and dry it as I walk. I resort to a machine at larger towns or when the albergue offers such a facility, every four or five days, when I also include my hiking shorts or trousers and a long sleeve midlayer and also pay for a cool tumble-dry.
I usually blog or scan the news on my phone while the machine is in action.
I found that with regards to drying clothing - the route matters (and surely the time of year). On the Frances, I walked from June 9th and into mid-July. I got to my accommodations by 1-3pm, showered, and did laundry. By bedtime, my clothing was almost always dry. If not, I either allowed it to dry in the room or attached to my pack in the AM and it was fine by the time I needed it. On the Norte the following very late May through June - my socks especially - were hardly ever dry within 1-2 days. I ended up wearing the same pair for multiple days unless I had access to a washer/dryer. Most of the time, I made it work. But then there was that one day when I was walking though tall wet grass - and you guessed it - my feet were wet ALL DAY LONG. And I had only 1 other set of socks and they were still wet from laundry 2 days before. Thank goodness that day I was able to walk a double stage to get from the Norte to the Primitivo and arrived in Oviedo - and headed straight to Decathlon to buy more socks. And boy - I had to PEEL the wet socks off my water soaked feet. Any other damp clothing I could survive - but the wet socks can totally ruin your hike!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can never get my head around what people pack that makes for a 7kg pack and still don't feel like they have enough clothes. At ~50g a boxer, ~100g a t-shirt and ~35g a pair of socks I don't think its them that make the pack heavy. I also did pack two spares each this time, but that really felt plenty for me (and was not really needed). But i agree totally, sometimes a little extra weight in your backpack can make for a whole lot of extra comfort.
Exactly - I think some of us weigh our clothes and gear and pick the lighter options when we can. I look for Merino wool whenever I can for all of it's properties and it tends to be mostly lightweight material. Others pick heavy materials. I can pack 4 sets of clothes (including the set I will wear) and yet my pack is lighter than most peoples bags with 1-2 sets of clothes. Anyhow - some people laugh at those of us who weigh and record the weight of every item in our packs - but it allows us to look at everything closely and decide if the items are worth their extra weight on our backs. I feel like I have my Camino packing down to a science for me - and I know how to pick the lightest options of everything to allow myself to have everything I feel I need without my pack being so heavy that it hurts my back to carry it. Anyhow, just an example: My silk yoga pants are a lot lighter than regular leggings which are a lot lighter than your typical hiking pants, which are a lot lighter than convertible hiking pants. My tank top is the lightest one I could find. My t-shirt is under 100g, my hiking dresses are about 120g. My choices allow me to pack more without weighing as much as other people's packs.

Of course - I am not a big person and don't need to carry big person clothing - that makes a huge difference too. I mean - I can compare myself to my skinny but very tall son. I am just under 5'5" and he is 6'3".... his clothing will obviously weigh much more than mine!

Also - it can be more much more expensive to buy the "ultralight" clothes and gear. We all know my Icebreaker t-shirts are expensive compared to that t-shirt you buy at another sports store. My silk yoga pants are ordered from Australia lol.

But it is the other gear that plays a huge role in pack weight. How big is the first aid kit, how big is the toiletry kit, how heavy is the sleeping bag and sleeping bag liner? What "luxury" but unnecessary items are in the pack?

Anyhow - if you are going to go on many hikes/pilgrimages - then it is a good investment to buy ultralight gear when you can. But if you are not a frequent long distance hiker, the extra cost probably is not worth the weight you will save.

Exactly - I think some of us weigh our clothes and gear and pick the lighter options when we can. I look for Merino wool whenever I can for all of it's properties and it tends to be mostly lightweight material. Others pick heavy materials. I can pack 4 sets of clothes (including the set I will wear) and yet my pack is lighter than most peoples bags with 1-2 sets of clothes. Anyhow - some people laugh at those of us who weigh and record the weight of every item in our packs - but it allows us to look at everything closely and decide if the items are worth their extra weight on our backs. I feel like I have my Camino packing down to a science for me - and I know how to pick the lightest options of everything to allow myself to have everything I feel I need without my pack being so heavy that it hurts my back to carry it. Anyhow, just an example: My silk yoga pants are a lot lighter than regular leggings which are a lot lighter than your typical hiking pants, which are a lot lighter than convertible hiking pants. My tank top is the lightest one I could find. My t-shirt is under 100g, my hiking dresses are about 120g. My choices allow me to pack more without weighing as much as other people's packs.

Of course - I am not a big person and don't need to carry big person clothing - that makes a huge difference too. I mean - I can compare myself to my skinny but very tall son. I am just under 5'5" and he is 6'3".... his clothing will obviously weigh much more than mine!

Also - it can be more much more expensive to buy the "ultralight" clothes and gear. We all know my Icebreaker t-shirts are expensive compared to that t-shirt you buy at another sports store. My silk yoga pants are ordered from Australia lol.

But it is the other gear that plays a huge role in pack weight. How big is the first aid kit, how big is the toiletry kit, how heavy is the sleeping bag and sleeping bag liner? What "luxury" but unnecessary items are in the pack?

Anyhow - if you are going to go on many hikes/pilgrimages - then it is a good investment to buy ultralight gear when you can. But if you are not a frequent long distance hiker, the extra cost probably is not worth the weight you will save.
I don't have any "technical" clothes. I started weighing my stuff when I was travelling for work with a 10kg Ryanair hold bag. I had heavy tools and a laptop. I'm pretty sure a whole week's worth ordinary of T-shirts, knickers and socks would be less than 1.5kg.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just curious - did you also mail some stuff home? I find no matter how light I "think" I have packed - I have things that I decide I don't really need and mail them home.
We didn't mail anything home — we actually bought more clothes after a week or so to help cut down the laundry frequency.
p.s. I don’t know what kind of laundry routine you have, but it takes me no more than 10 minutes to wash out my underwear, socks, shirt and pants. Add soap, scrub a bit, rinse and hang to dry. But maybe my standards are much lower than yours!
We used washing machines and dryers when available — that's another area where we could have saved some time, but to be honest, we were so exhausted by the time we got to the next destination that the thought of handwashing our clothes was a little overwhelming! Plus, we didn't have a lot of luck line drying the clothes.
Thanks for coming back with your summary! Are you planning another Camino?
When we first finished the Camino, I was glad we did it but had no desire to do it again. However, just a little over 2 months later now, I actually do want to do it again! I want to slow down and see all the places we flew through on the first Camino.
In the meantime, instead of dumping the pack, why not adjust the length of the Camino to a shorter daily distance e.g. start from Pamplona rather than SJPdP?
Now that we've done the Camino Frances all in one fell swoop, I would definitely be comfortable with a shorter Camino and shorter stages!
I found that with regards to drying clothing - the route matters (and surely the time of year).
Our very first night in SJPdP, we hand washed our socks and underwear that we'd worn on the plane and hung them overnight on a line on the balcony — they were still soaking wet in the morning. That's one of the reasons we decided to use machines for the rest of the journey. Later on, in Triacastela, our host had a washing machine but not a dryer, so we had to line dry the clothes. It was 3pm and once again, they were still wet when we had to take them off the line at 7pm. We tried to hang them in the room overnight to finish drying but they actually made the room more humid and still didn't dry. Maybe we just had bad luck with line drying the clothes, or maybe it was some sort of curse (LOL!).

BTW: Our clothes were all quick-dry and merino fabrics. During the month of September, we sweated A LOT during the day, so the thought of wearing those sweaty (and very dusty) clothes again was dreadful. After we got into October and out of the Meseta, we were able to start skipping days washing the outerwear.

I appreciate everyone's comments and feedback! It's why I love this forum ☺️.

We completed our first camino (Camino Francés) Sept.–Oct. this year. We planned for a year, seeking advice from veterans in this forum, YouTube vlogs, Facebook groups, Reddit and various blogs and websites. This forum was by far the most helpful, so I wanted to follow up and share some of our takeaways for anyone else who may be planning their first camino soon. Apologies in advance for the length of the post.

We got a LOT of great advice from members of this forum — some we heeded immediately and some we ignored until we were on the camino dealing with a scenario that reminded us of the sage wisdom we'd previously discounted. I'm sure everyone starts with an idealized vision of what their camino will be, but once you're on the Camino, you realize some things you thought would be important aren't, and some things you didn't give much thought to have greater impact than you imagined. My first takeaway was, it's OK to let go of the idealized vision of the camino you started with — it will still be better than you imagined!

In the planning stages, we focused a lot on packing light. We bought 38L and 36L backpacks, ultralight/packable gear, and kept the weight to 16lbs (7kg). I was committed to carrying my backpack everyday as long as I wasn't injured. I don't know if it was pride, a misinterpreted obligation to have an "authentic" camino, some form of self-induced penance, or a combination of these things; but after a couple of weeks of slogging that 16lb bag up hill, after hill, after hill, and realizing how miserable the thought of strapping it to my back made me every morning, I finally let go of my idea that sending the bags ahead was a sign of weakness. This allowed me to enjoy the walk instead of seeing each day as a trial of endurance, and it brought our actual camino experience much closer in line with our ideal of what the camino would be.

Our plan was to complete the Camino, from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Finisterre, in 35 days, walking an average of 16 miles per day with several longer days of about 20 miles closer to the end of the trip. One of the most common pieces of advice we heard from veterans was that we should consider stretching our camino to more days with shorter distances. Unfortunately, we were limited on the days we could take off from work and wanted to pack in as much as we could not knowing if we'd ever be able to do another Camino. And this is my biggest regret — we didn't have enough time to enjoy the places we passed through or to explore and get to know the places we stayed each day. In retrospect, there were some things we could have done differently to give us more time.

Each day, we would set out when the sun came up, usually closer to 8 a.m. because we wanted to see the places we were walking through. We'd stop for breakfast and lunch along the way and then push through all the villages in between without stopping so we could make it to our destination with enough time to do our laundry. We only brought 2 changes of clothes and failed to anticipate how much time would be consumed by doing laundry every day.

Averaging 16 miles a day, we usually arrived at our next stop around 2–3 p.m. By the time we'd shower and get laundry going, it was usually 4–5 p.m. Some places had laundry service, so we could drop off our clothes and go exploring, but most days we had to either find a laundromat, or use the machines/clotheslines provided, which you can't leave unattended, and you often have to wait for your turn. By the time laundry was done and we'd re-packed our bags for the next day, it was 7–8 p.m. and time to eat dinner.

So, my second takeaway was, consider the trade-off. While it's certainly wise to limit what you bring, if we hadn't been so focused on packing light so we could carry our backpacks each day, we could have brought larger bags and 3 or 4 changes of clothes reducing our laundry days to twice a week. For us, the trade-off for making the backpacks easier to carry was spending a lot of time, the most valuable commodity, doing laundry.

Another regret we have is losing contact with the cohort we started with on the Camino. We decided to rent e-bikes and cut our time on the Meseta down from 9 days to 5 in order to give ourselves a rest day and a few days to see more of Spain before heading home. This meant that we left the group we had been traveling with for almost 2 weeks — the people we met when we arrived in St. Jean, the ones who encouraged us as we struggled up the Pyrenees, the ones who showed us the way down into Roncesvalles, the ones we shared our first dinner with, and all the familiar faces we met over and again as we moved from village to village. And even though we met and got to know many new people along the way, there's something special about the group that you start out with. While I wouldn't change the decision to jump ahead, my third takeaway is that I wish we would have spent more time getting to know some of those "day ones" better and found a way to stay in contact.

Walking as a couple, the best advice we got was to make a game plan for how we would walk together, set some ground rules and talk about contingency plans beforehand. I have no doubt that doing this saved us from arguments every single day! For example, I like to stop and take a lot of photos but my husband likes to keep moving and get to the next stop. So, our "rule" was that if I stopped to take pictures it was perfectly fine for him to keep walking and I would catch up with him at the next stop. We also decided that our health was the top priority for the camino, so if one of us couldn't continue walking we would stop together and rest, and/or find alternate transportation if needed.

Although we're active (running, biking, swimming, etc.), we're not hikers and we live in the flatlands of the Gulf Coast in the US. So, the mountains and hills were hard for us — not impossible, but much harder than we imagined, even though we walked 5-10 miles daily with loaded packs for 9 months before the camino. This brings me to my final takeaway — the most important thing we learned was, no amount of planning and preparation will guarantee a camino that meets your expectations, so you need to be flexible enough to adjust your plans and your expectations.

There were several things I planned in advance because I wanted an "authentic" camino experience, including some very long walk days in the first week so we could stay at specific albergues for the traditions they offered. As we got closer to those long walk days and we realized we didn't have the stamina to complete them without risking injury, we adjusted our plans to walk shorter stages, and we adjusted our expectations of what an "authentic" camino experience looks like. Toward the end of our camino, we even grew to the point that we relaxed the expectations we had on ourselves to complete our camino the way other people thought it should be completed.

When we were planning our camino, I loved reading other peoples' takeaways, so I hope someone finds this helpful. Buen Camino!
Thanks, I really enjoyed your feedback. So well written as well as informative. I’m interested to know whether you booked accommodation ahead or played it by ear.

I'm interested in your silk yoga pants - not just for the Camino! Could you provide a link please?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Quick comment about drying clothes - (we had merino Tshirt, nylon underpants, shirts, shorts and thick merino/nylon sox).
We took some nappy pins and hung on line or even a fence, or in the room. My wife showed me that wringing them out in a tightly twisted micro towel was the secret! Much better than just twisting them as I tend to do.
Everything dried overnight except sometimes the thick sox and these dried on the pack the next morning. (this was in September and a fairly rain-free CF).

I've posted this before (many times), but this is how I do laundry on the Camino, and it doesn't take long.

Most albergues have laundry sinks and many have washing machines.
But I use a ultralight 12 liter Osprey dry bag as my portable washing machine.

I put my clothes in it as I'm getting into the shower with water from the shower as it's warming up. I add half of a laundry detergent sheet (some brands are Breezeo and Tru Earth)

Then I seal it up and give it a few shakes. I set it aside for everything to soak while I shower and dress.

Then I shake it a bit more to agitate the clothes in the bag before dumping it out in the laundry sink and rinsing. The detergent sheets don't make a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean and it's easy to rinse out.

After wringing the clothes out as best I can I wrap them in my towel and twist it to get out more water before hanging them to dry.

Because of the long soaking time method gets my clothes cleaner with less effort than when I used just the laundry sinks or tubs.

One note I haven't seen yet, regarding the weight of clothing: some of us just run cold.

Obviously this is going to vary a lot depending on what time of year/which route. I'm doing the Frances starting in mid-April, and I find my limbs get cold easily and that when I'm cold it's all I can think about, so I often find myself erring on the side of over-dressing for the weather.

I recently invested in an Ibex-brand puffy coat, which was one of the most expensive things I've bought for my Camino so far, even after a discount! But it weighs like 9oz/255g and walking with it around town has shown it's REALLY warm with just one long-sleeved shirt underneath down to just below freezing. For my legs I have leggings, a pair of polar fleece pants that fit over them, and a pair of waterproof/windproof pants. This would absolutely be overkill for some folks, but oh my god I cannot stand being cold, and yeah I'm warm when I'm *walking*, but once I stop moving for the day (or, when I drag myself out of bed in the morning) I get cold fast, and it makes me sleepy!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When we first finished the Camino, I was glad we did it but had no desire to do it again. However, just a little over 2 months later now, I actually do want to do it again! I want to slow down and see all the places we flew through on the first Camino.

Now that we've done the Camino Frances all in one fell swoop, I would definitely be comfortable with a shorter Camino and shorter stages!
Oh dear, I think you may have caught the same condition as the rest of us on here. Don't worry though, it's largely benign!

Thank you for posting.

Thinking back (quite some time) the most valuable learning IMHO comes from a first Camino; and probably from the first week in fact. Much of the apprehension disappears when one realises that it’s really quite a straightforward venture with the greatest difficulty coming from being able to repeat the cycle for circa 30 days.

I think that many repeat-peregrinos fall into a middle ground with respect to weight-carried; frequency of laundry and so-on. Unnecessary items are discarded and weight is considered alongside utility in what would be taken in future.

It’s only at the extreme that some pack for adventure-racing. It’s a perfectly legitimate choice but my compromise is a set of walking clothes and a set of leisure clothes with routine laundry confined to the essentials.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks, I really enjoyed your feedback. So well written as well as informative. I’m interested to know whether you booked accommodation ahead or played it by ear.
We booked 80% of our accommodations about 9 months in advance. We wanted to make sure we had places booked in the busiest areas and on the longest walk days. There were actually a lot of others booking that far in advance also, because several places we looked were already fully booked — even that far out! We booked the few remaining places about 5 months out.

I'm a planner by nature and I don't regret booking ahead at all. It gave me a huge sense of peace to know that arguably the most important part of the day was already taken care of, even if it meant we were locked into those plans. It worked for us because we were already on a tight schedule anyway, packing the whole Camino Francés plus the Camino Finisterre into 35 days. I was also able to research and carefully select the places we stayed instead of taking what we could find.

Now, with that said, we did change plans twice during our camino and once got off-track onto a different camino route (because you never really get "lost" 😉), so we had the experience a few times of having to scramble for accommodations on the fly. Navigating those situations gave us a feeling of accomplishment and a deeper faith in divine providence, so I certainly understand why most camino veterans prefer to play it by ear!

One note I haven't seen yet, regarding the weight of clothing: some of us just run cold.
Me, too — and I don't regret having the extra layers that I carried! I used everything I had on most days. I had a mid-weight fleece jacket and a puffy, down vest, plus a merino base layer in addition to my hiking pants and shirts. I also had a dry fit short sleeve shirt that I wore over the merino base layer and under the hiking shirt — I would slowly peel off layer by layer throughout the day to stay comfortable, 😅.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

There are quite a few shorter Camino to choose from. None of which I have personal knowledge.

That said there is the "English" from Ferrol (just above A Coruna).

And from the south, a route starting at Tui, just north of the border with Portugal.

If you are a Compostela collector, I understand both these routes have the required distance.

There are quite a few shorter Camino to choose from. None of which I have personal knowledge.

That said there is the "English" from Ferrol (just above A Coruna).

And from the south, a route starting at Tui, just north of the border with Portugal.

If you are a Compostela collector, I understand both these routes have the required distance.

Thank you for that info! My husband and I were talking about different routes we might consider sometime after 2024 — we will keep those in mind!

Excellent advice! From one who continued the Camino with a broken leg (unknown to me at the time) for 2 weeks, taking your time, it’s your Camino after all; listening to your body, and knowing when to have your pack transferred are invaluable lessons I learned along the way. And the Pilgrims you meet along the way, forever friends

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Excellent advice! From one who continued the Camino with a broken leg (unknown to me at the time) for 2 weeks, taking your time, it’s your Camino after all; listening to your body, and knowing when to have your pack transferred are invaluable lessons I learned along the way. And the Pilgrims you meet along the way, forever friends

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.