• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking a bike up the Roman road from Cercedilla ?

RedBike

Time of past OR future Camino
I understand the uphill section is about 8km. It looks very rocky and quite difficult to hike.
I'm travelling by bike but I would expect to walk this part and push my bike with panniers on.
Once at the top, I hope to resume riding.
Do you thinks its doable. Is there an alternative route to avoid the roman road. I have seen another gravel road in some photos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked this yesterday.

For the first half of the 8km ascent, you can cycle on the sealed car road. For the last 4km, the way we went, you wouldn’t be able to cycle for most of it (and even pushing the bike would be difficult at certain points), but yes, there is an alternative dirt road that you can use. I wasn’t paying much attention to how to access this road or where it begins, but a car drove by while we were at the top, so it’s definitely doable.

The way down towards Segovia is easily cyclable as the entire path is a wide dirt road. We saw several bikers doing it, and I assume they came from the Cercedilla side.

Right now there’s only one small patch of snow on the trail but snow is forecast this weekend so that could also be a factor depending on when you’re going.

¡Buena suerte!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes that Gronze map does help. I already have the Buen Camino app loaded and also the GPS data for the route, but hadnt seen this cyclist alternative route before. Thanks very much for your help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.