• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking a cat on the Camino in May/June 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelinchick007

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June (2020)
Hey guys, I'm planning on doing the Camino Frances in May/June 2020 and a crazy idea struck me. My kitty, Honey is 10 years old and never leaves my side. When I go somewhere for the weekend, I miss her terribly and my boyfriend says she walks around the house meowing looking for me.

So I'm already planning on doing the Camino next year but the idea stuck me, what if she came too? I've already looked up what I would need to take her as far as documentations, (passport, vet notes, tags, etc). I found a stroller I could get to see if she even likes it (before I leave, obviously). My question to you guys who have done the camino already, how hard do you think it would be to find accommodations for us? I'm sure the albergues won't allow us to stay there, but do you think I would have a hard time finding a place to sleep each night?

Again, I'm just toying with the idea, I haven't completely decided, but I think it would be really nice to have her do the camino with me. We have done dozens of road trips over the last 10 years so shes used to traveling and is leash trained, but the Camino will be completely new for her (and me).

Thanks for any feedback including maybe something I'm not thinking of.
20190411_173206.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's difficult one, I would normally be against the idea but I saw somewhere (?) recently a photo of a young Italian man who had walked from Italy with his cat , the photo was taken near Ponferada 200km from Santiago, the cat was laid curled up in a round open shallow whicker basket on a blanket the edge of the basket was resting on his chest and was attached to him by a harness. I'm still going to advice caution just for the reason that you have not walked the Camino yet, I would suggest you see how you cope with it individually before not only putting an extra burden on yourself but also to help you gain some insight into the path and being able to relate that to a future Camino with Honey so you can make her journey smoother and possibly less fraught.

Buen Camino

I’ve had many splendid companion cats over the years, but they all had one thing in common - they were territorial. They bonded primarily with the area they lived in and with their human staff secondly.

Please excuse what you may think is an unnecessarily rude reply, and feel free to ignore me. Someone more empathetic will be along shortly to confirm that it’s the greatest idea they’ve ever come across, it’s your right to do your camino your way, that cats(and dogs) are just fur-babies and really want to be ferried around in strollers etc etc.

Personally, I think it’s an utterly mad idea.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Every dog along the route will sit up and take notice.

Eating & sleeping just got harder.
Most hostals likely won't let you stay because of allergy issues for others. How will you eat? Restaurants likely won't let you in with it. Will you leave the cat tied up outside the restaurant or grocery store in an unfamiliar territory?

I'd say if you love your cat, leave it at home.

Yes, my cats meowed while I was away on the Camino. Now they're over it. I can't imagine trying to take a cat on the Camino. It seems cruel to the cat and to have a high likelihood of a lost cat in a foreign land.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Cat lover here as well.

I'd go by myself first, to see how I cope with the camino and check what Honey would need. Then I'd plan a future camino with her. :)
In the meantime, in your first walk, call her online often and talk to her as frequently as you can, she will appreciate it.

(Also, you never know how she will react to the foreign fauna, so better check yourself first. In case of emergencies, it is challenging enough to find a doctor, who says a vet depending on which part of Spain you are.)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Alright, alright thank you guys lol I won't bring her. It was just a crazy idea. But I can definitely see the reasoning behind each of your "no's".
Good decision I'd say. But just to understand what it is like to travel with animals on Camino you should read thread by a guy that walked with two donkeys (mother and son), two dogs and a cat. Don't remember the exact title but use the Search option or someone will chime in with the link.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1566261025835.png

Here's pilgrim Marcelo with cat Osiris who walked the CF in May. They slept in a tent. It was their second Camino together, last year they walked the Via Francigena to Rome.

Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/gato_nomada/?hl=nl

IMO not every cat is a happy traveller, and not every pilgrim is happy to carry both a cat plus a tent and catfood on top of everything else.

APACA has more info about walking the Caminos with an animal, website: https://apaca.paradoxahumana.com/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Aww .... you're from the US. Leave her at home. Don't put your cat through a transatlantic flight, and back.
@travelinchick007 has already decided (very wisely) not to bring her cat.
And here's something worth exploring along the way - our pets invariably mirror our own process right back to us. You can't deal with her separation anxiety about you, but you can work to release any separation anxiety going in the other direction, if it's there. It's a wonderful opportunity.

I missed my cats terribly on the Camino. Fortunately, there were many friendly cats around to keep the withdraw symptoms at bay. In my daily report to my friends, I would list among many things (distance, temperature, weather, food) the number of cats seen, fluffed, and a picture.

I wouldn't take my cats (I don't even take them to the cattery when I travel, I have a petsitter) because they travel badly, they have their sleeping routine during daytime, they don't like changes, the heat would be too much for them, but also there are many dogs on the way, which I realised are less friendly than the Camino cats. Here's a picture of the friendliest cat in Combarro. Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 08.28.07.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey guys, I'm planning on doing the Camino Frances in May/June 2020 and a crazy idea struck me. My kitty, Honey is 10 years old and never leaves my side. When I go somewhere for the weekend, I miss her terribly and my boyfriend says she walks around the house meowing looking for me.

So I'm already planning on doing the Camino next year but the idea stuck me, what if she came too? I've already looked up what I would need to take her as far as documentations, (passport, vet notes, tags, etc). I found a stroller I could get to see if she even likes it (before I leave, obviously). My question to you guys who have done the camino already, how hard do you think it would be to find accommodations for us? I'm sure the albergues won't allow us to stay there, but do you think I would have a hard time finding a place to sleep each night?

Again, I'm just toying with the idea, I haven't completely decided, but I think it would be really nice to have her do the camino with me. We have done dozens of road trips over the last 10 years so shes used to traveling and is leash trained, but the Camino will be completely new for her (and me).

View attachment 63555
Welcome to the forum, Chicky. She's adorable...I wish you well.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's difficult one, I would normally be against the idea but I saw somewhere (?) recently a photo of a young Italian man who had walked from Italy with his cat , the photo was taken near Ponferada 200km from Santiago, the cat was laid curled up in a round open shallow whicker basket on a blanket the edge of the basket was resting on his chest and was attached to him by a harness. I'm still going to advice caution just for the reason that you have not walked the Camino yet, I would suggest you see how you cope with it individually before not only putting an extra burden on yourself but also to help you gain some insight into the path and being able to relate that to a future Camino with Honey so you can make her journey smoother and possibly less fraught.

Buen Camino
I saw that photo, too! I was thinking, awww, another one of "man's best friend"!

Good decision I'd say. But just to understand what it is like to travel with animals on Camino you should read thread by a guy that walked with two donkeys (mother and son), two dogs and a cat. Don't remember the exact title but use the Search option or someone will chime in with the link.

Buen Camino!
Loved his thread...wish he'd post again.

if you change your mind don't forget this.
Courtesy of the Spanish Embassy in Washington ;)

Attachments

• INFORMATION NON COMMERCIAL MOVEMENT ANIMAL PETS rev.JULY.18.pdf
    352.1 KB · Views: 41
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Buen Camino
Here is said cat after arrival in Santiago. They came all the way from Rome. I saw some pretty tired and haggard looking dogs on the Camino and in SDC. As an animal lover and shelter volunteer, I would probably vote for leaving the animal home MOST OF THE TIME. However, this cat seemed to be an exception. They travelled mostly at night and early in the morning, the cat appeared to be happy, comfortable and very well cared for. The man’s love for the cat was very evident. Some cats are good travelers while others despise it. So it depends. Cats are easily spooked and can easily find themselves lost in a moment of fear. Maybe try a small Camino experience near home first and see how it goes. Wishing you (and the cat) well.

Attachments

• 611F9E71-ABE7-422D-A7EB-84613BC9A869.jpeg
    611F9E71-ABE7-422D-A7EB-84613BC9A869.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 47
  • 5162E52B-0365-4659-81EF-06E03097A217.jpeg
    5162E52B-0365-4659-81EF-06E03097A217.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 8B5233F5-A044-47C2-86AF-CADE3493576B.jpeg
    8B5233F5-A044-47C2-86AF-CADE3493576B.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 954A8658-0306-47CF-B8B9-F855DFD58A8A.jpeg
    954A8658-0306-47CF-B8B9-F855DFD58A8A.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 44

View attachment 63555

I am a cat lover and cat owner. And I have recently walked the Camino. I can appreciate that it would painful to be separated from your pet while on the Way. But my instinct is to regard bringing your cat on your Camino as making this long walk much more difficult than necessary and risks the possibility of your cat being lost in unfamiliar territory through some kind of accident or unexpected incident (e.g., an aggressive dog or loud, frightening noise). In short, I would say, don’t bring your cat— just carry her in your heart with you on the Way until you are home again. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There was a peregrino last Spring, whom I met at the hostel in Castrojeriz. He traveled with a cat and a small dog (jack russel terrier). He was going by bike, and had a trailer-- He had found the cat on his travels when she was in a bad way as a small kitten. They were not allowed in the hostel, but he set up a tent on the veranda, and so used the kitchen and other facilities. -- When we started out in the morning, his cat had gone walk-about so he was waiting for her return. Here is a photo of the cat in the bike trailer just after they arrived at the hostel. She felt very safe with him, and liked her carrier (she had grown up in it).

Attachments

• cat in bike trailer Castrojeriz, April 2019.jpg
    cat in bike trailer Castrojeriz, April 2019.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
I appreciate how much your cat means to you but I would have to vote NO. I strongly doubt that either you or the cat would enjoy the experience.

Here is said cat after arrival in Santiago. They came all the way from Rome. I saw some pretty tired and haggard looking dogs on the Camino and in SDC. As an animal lover and shelter volunteer, I would probably vote for leaving the animal home MOST OF THE TIME. However, this cat seemed to be an exception. They travelled mostly at night and early in the morning, the cat appeared to be happy, comfortable and very well cared for. The man’s love for the cat was very evident. Some cats are good travelers while others despise it. So it depends. Cats are easily spooked and can easily find themselves lost in a moment of fear. Maybe try a small Camino experience near home first and see how it goes. Wishing you (and the cat) well.
Well, that's clearly a discimination. A cat got canine compostela! ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The thing that would worry me the most is that cats don’t generally like a disruption to their daily routine or to their familiar territory. They can become stressed easily. Not to mention the additional burden that it will put on you during what is already a challenging experience. In addition to that, I worry that caring for your cat while on pilgrimage might distract you from the inner journey that takes place while on pilgrimage, which requires quiet reflection, which might be made more difficult if you’re focusing your attention externally.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
They travelled mostly at night and early in the morning, the cat appeared to be happy, comfortable and very well cared for.

How did the Canina " Betty "get the required stamps.
Was Betty issued with a Canina Credential ?

After walking 5 hours on the first day , you are now past Orrison , no cats allowed , you will then realise
*What was i thinking*

because she is totally crazy and would never do what was expected of her :D
She would not come home alive with that attitude
And in relation to the loo ....is she gender neutral?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your feedback, I appreciate you guys leading me to Not make a decision that both Honey and I would hate me for later lol. I promise I'll leave her at home because that is ultimately what is best for her and I guess for me too. You guys are great and I am so looking forward to being on the camino next year and meeting some fellow peregrinos 💕.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

View attachment 63555
How did the Canina " Betty "get the required stamps.
Was Betty issued with a Canina Credential ?

After walking 5 hours on the first day , you are now past Orrison , no cats allowed , you will then realise
*What was i thinking*

She would not come home alive with that attitude
And in relation to the loo ....is she gender neutral?
There is an organization in SDC that issues these canine certificates. It is not connected with the Pilgrim Office. Evidently there is no feline version.

Buen Camino

The Camino is no place for a cat. Leave it at home and FaceTime with it.

I remember seeing a guy with a cat draped around his neck on a Camino once and thinking how uncomfortable that must be in the heat of the day.
I took a cat on a canoe trip to Canada once. The cat spent every night in the bushes catching various vermin and bringing them back to the tent. Then the final day as we sat a the dock of the Hudson Bay Trading Post to take a ferry back to Timagami, the cat ran off to play with some other feral cats.
Good-bye Kittie. She missed the boat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

View attachment 63555
Call me crazy but I like the idea. I am leaving September 1 to do the Camino by bike and plan to stay in little pensions and CR. Maybe use Booking.com to contact a few and see if Honey is allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back