• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking a Chariot...

Tiff and Z

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2017
Hi there,

So I am doing the Camino this April/May... with my 3 year old in a pram! It is an off-road Chariot that can handle the trip, and will be big enough for him to be comfortable for the whole journey. I just want to confirm that the first section, from SJPP to Pamplona will be do-able? What is the terrain like? I know it's a steep uphill, but will I manage with a 3 wheeler (as in, are there any rocky trails, or is it jeep track/road the whole way)? I have been watching LOTS of YouTubes to get an idea of the terrain, and I am pretty confident about most of the journey. I am totally happy to skip sections and take a taxi/bus if necessary... but I would REALLY like to start from SJPP. Your thoughts please?

Many thanks,
Tiffany

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Insure that you have some very good high viz vests and markers for the "Chariot" for walking on the various roads that you will encounter. Some are busy and many are just country back roads with little or no traffic.

Being very visible is always a good idea...but even more important with a little one along.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great advice, thank you! The Chariot is bright yellow and blue, but that is an excellent point so I will definitely add some reflective high-vis to the pram and my own attire, thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a short piece above Orisson, just after the Thibault Cross where the path becomes a bit uneven, rocky, narrow. Otherwise, there are paved roads, gravel roads. But when you get to the West side of the mountaions, TAKE THE PATH TO THE RIGHT!!!. The path to the left is very steep and rocky. The path to the right is a couple km longer but much easier on the legs, and safer. This should be described in the paperwork you will receive at the Pilgrims' Office in SJPP.

There are some extremely steep sections on the ascent. I expect you will be able to handle these, but I am concerned about the possibility of a 'runaway'. Does the pram have some sort of automatic brake that is engaged if you inadvertently lose your grip? For example, if you stumble or are distracted. It's an aspect worth considering.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there,

So I am doing the Camino this April/May... with my 3 year old in a pram! It is an off-road Chariot that can handle the trip, and will be big enough for him to be comfortable for the whole journey. I just want to confirm that the first section, from SJPP to Pamplona will be do-able? What is the terrain like? I know it's a steep uphill, but will I manage with a 3 wheeler (as in, are there any rocky trails, or is it jeep track/road the whole way)? I have been watching LOTS of YouTubes to get an idea of the terrain, and I am pretty confident about most of the journey. I am totally happy to skip sections and take a taxi/bus if necessary... but I would REALLY like to start from SJPP. Your thoughts please?

Many thanks,
Tiffany
There was a lady on here 3 years ago asking a similar question although her little girl was 5 and walking. The general consensus was that she should start from Roncesvalles. I met her in Biarritz airport and she had decided that was the best idea, as at that time of year in April, there can still be snow on the Napolean route. I can tell you that she made it to Santiago but did skip a couple of days by train. The trail down into Zubiri even if you do skip the Pyrenees is steep bed rock. Similarly trails down to Molinaseca after the Cruz de Ferro. When do you actually start. The later in April, the more pilgrims will be on the road so more helping hands to get you over the toughest parts

There is a short piece above Orisson, just after the Thibault Cross where the path becomes a bit uneven, rocky, narrow. Otherwise, there are paved roads, gravel roads. But when you get to the West side of the mountaions, TAKE THE PATH TO THE RIGHT!!!. The path to the left is very steep and rocky. The path to the right is a couple km longer but much easier on the legs, and safer. This should be described in the paperwork you will receive at the Pilgrims' Office in SJPP.
I would change that 'bit uneven' to very uneven steep and rocky to be honest

Hi there,

Many thanks,
Tiffany
no problem for a chariot, amazing things. Make sure your'e fit for the long push up into the Pyrenees!! Buen Camino, have a great time

SJPP to Roncesvalles should not be a problem, but the downhill to Zubiri will be difficult: steep and very rocky!
It should be doable, but very slowly (and bumpy for your kid).

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.
Take a bus from Ronsesvalles to Pamplona to avoid this section

There are some extremely steep sections on the ascent. I expect you will be able to handle these, but I am concerned about the possibility of a 'runaway'. Does the pram have some sort of automatic brake that is engaged if you inadvertently lose your grip? For example, if you stumble or are distracted. It's an aspect worth considering.
This is an excellent point......or a long strap connected to the pram to go around the wrist. My daughters' 3 wheeler has one.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've experiences both chariots and the Camino Frances and the Chariot is suitable for the task in hand. super racing car type seat and straps for the child. A wrist strap and suspension. As long as you don't go in the winter you won't need your ski attachment. lol.

I have met several pilgrims who walked with young ones in strollers or prams or buggies or chariots or whatever you might want to call them. Any sort of off-road stroller will certainly work. If you are walking by yourself it will not be easy but many others have done it.
Buen camino, peregrina.

Many thanks everyone, super helpful!

I will heed all of your advice. Yes, the Chariot has a safety strap, and I will be adding another one so that I can adapt the buggy to be pulled, if necessary. I have also decided to add a reflective bicycle flag, and possibly even a small South African flag. Keep an eye out for us!

Many thanks everyone, super helpful!

I will heed all of your advice. Yes, the Chariot has a safety strap, and I will be adding another one so that I can adapt the buggy to be pulled, if necessary. I have also decided to add a reflective bicycle flag, and possibly even a small South African flag. Keep an eye out for us!

Let us know how it goes, as I'm still trying to persuade my husband to let us bring our youngest (now 4) one time. I've gone with a friend from Chiasso in CH to Le Puy (in stages) and our husbands and older teens are joining us for the next stage this summer, but I'd love to hear of experiences with little ones.

Let us know how it goes, as I'm still trying to persuade my husband to let us bring our youngest (now 4) one time. I've gone with a friend from Chiasso in CH to Le Puy (in stages) and our husbands and older teens are joining us for the next stage this summer, but I'd love to hear of experiences with little ones.

Will do!

I have met several pilgrims who walked with young ones in strollers or prams or buggies or chariots or whatever you might want to call them. Any sort of off-road stroller will certainly work. If you are walking by yourself it will not be easy but many others have done it.
Buen camino, peregrina.

HedaP, That would be wonderful to talk to someone who has actually done it with a pram/toddler. Would you mind putting us in touch please? My family is also quite concerned about us being so vulnerable... a woman travelling alone with a toddler. They are worried that he will kidnapped, or that we will be at risk of attack. Any suggestions as to how to ease their fears? Do you think I should be concerned about this safety aspect? I expect to be fully "on guard" in the bigger cities of Barcelona and Madrid, but how safe is the Frances Route itself? Would you be worried?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pack a small maintenance kit , nothing too elaborate , spanner , screwdrivers , pliers and WD40 . Just enough for you to adjust the braking system and tighten the odd thing that most certainly will work loose . Grease the wheel bushes/bearings well before you leave and learn how to do this if you don't already .
For safety's sake so called ' Deadman's' brakes are worth investigating , you must hold them down to release them and they will activate instantly if you happen to lose your grip on the handle . For the sake of comfort and avoiding fatigue they can be locked out when traveling in flatter areas .

HedaP, That would be wonderful to talk to someone who has actually done it with a pram/toddler. Would you mind putting us in touch please? My family is also quite concerned about us being so vulnerable... a woman travelling alone with a toddler. They are worried that he will kidnapped, or that we will be at risk of attack. Any suggestions as to how to ease their fears? Do you think I should be concerned about this safety aspect? I expect to be fully "on guard" in the bigger cities of Barcelona and Madrid, but how safe is the Frances Route itself? Would you be worried?
So sorry, I didn’t keep in touch with them so cannot give you contact details. I have never heard of a child being kidnapped or attacked on the camino. I met both men and women travelling alone with small children. They met with a lot of kindness from fellow pilgrims. I always walk alone and have never been threatened with kidnap or physically attacked. Walking the camino is probably less risky than walking at home but like everywhere in the world you have to trust your instincts and take all the usual precautions.
Buen camino, peregrina

Perhaps it would help to watch the documentary film Six Ways to Santiago (mentioned above by @jmcarp). One of the main characters is a young woman walking with her young child in a stroller/buggy. You can see her and him in the trailer - here.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.