• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking a dog on the camino

Romika

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese 24/05/2016
Hello all.
I am wondering if anybody has taking a dog on their camino. Are they allowed in hostals? If anybody has any info i would like to hear it. Walking from Tui to santiago in may, want to do bilbao to sdc in september with my dog

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Probably would be best left at home: there are some dogs on the camino - here's one I met in 2011 ...
P1090252.JPG

he carried all his own things - and some of his master's, I think! But as mspath said, dogs aren't generally accepted in albergues.
Buen camino .... with or without the dog :)!!

Thanks for the info,after reading all that I know its best to leave him home
I hear there are a few wild dogs on the Camino...just bring a leash ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wild dogs? Guess it depends on your definition of "wild".
A "wild dog" can be a protector of a home or person that determines you are a threat.
A "wild dog" can be, as I witnessed on a stretch of the Caminho Portuguese, a dog no longer wanted by their owner. In this case, the driver got out of the car, called the dog by name, put a dish of stew meat on a plate...then drove away.
Sadly, there are some homeless dogs to be found along the Way. The most I've seen were in Finisterre outside the bus stop. In this case, a pilgrim felt sorry for several dogs and, through a kindness, would feed them at night. Wonder of wonders...they were there in the morning...where again he fed them...all the Way to the end of the world. When he got on the bus back to Santiago...the dogs were abandoned once again.
There are some happy endings. One fellow from Sweden attracted a new friend outside Estella and walked all the Way to Santiago together. He sought out the appropriate authorities in Sweden to get the dog back home. He had to ensure the dog was microchipped and had current rabies vaccination. Since Spain is considered a "Rabies-Free Country" this made his decision easier.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wild dogs? Guess it depends on your definition of "wild".
A "wild dog" can be a protector of a home or person that determines you are a threat.
A "wild dog" can be, as I witnessed on a stretch of the Caminho Portuguese, a dog no longer wanted by their owner. In this case, the driver got out of the car, called the dog by name, put a dish of stew meat on a plate...then drove away.
Sadly, there are some homeless dogs to be found along the Way. The most I've seen were in Finisterre outside the bus stop. In this case, a pilgrim felt sorry for several dogs and, through a kindness, would feed them at night. Wonder of wonders...they were there in the morning...where again he fed them...all the Way to the end of the world. When he got on the bus back to Santiago...the dogs were abandoned once again.
There are some happy endings. One fellow from Sweden attracted a new friend outside Estella and walked all the Way to Santiago together. He sought out the appropriate authorities in Sweden to get the dog back home. He had to ensure the dog was microchipped and had current rabies vaccination. Since Spain is considered a "Rabies-Free Country" this made his decision easier.
A dog without a home and running free
Apparently he was 'wrong' about something else over the week end - some people! :)
Apparently ;)

Hi! Most of people don't recommend to take a dog to the Camino, but I did it and it was perfect, I am sure we will go again. I walked the French Way last September with my 7 years old Border collie. She did it very well. I carried a tent so sleeping was no problem. Most albergues don't accept dogs, but many times we could sleep in the garden. Campings are also an option but they are more expensive than albergues. Walking with a dog is not impossible at all, but I don't recommend walking it with every kind of dogs. My dog had to get along with every kind of people and with every type of animals, for sure without bothering anyone. She had to travel calmly for many many hours, she had to sleep in new places every night, outside, even in rain, in wind, in cold, when we slept in albergues with other people she had to be in deep silence all night. She had to walk 25-30-35 km every day in every kind of weather. Sometimes giant farm dogs barked in her face and she had to move forward without giving them any answer to avoid a fight. Some days I didn't find food for her, so she had to go sleep after a tiring day with an empty stomach. She was ok with all these things so she enjoyed it very much. And I enjoyed it too, because I didn't have to look after her all the time as she doesn't go away from me more than 10 meters, she never gets lost, never gets in trouble, never eats from ground, and for sure I know her reaction in every situations so I can act before she would act. Yeah, these things sounds a bit difficult... I definitely don't recommend all kind of dogs to walk the Camino with! But if you have a dog similar to mine, you will love walking together on the Way!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
These albergues let me go in with the dog:

Albergue parroquial, Zabaldika - we camped in the garden
Casa Mariela, Torres del Rio - we slept in a room
Albergue parroquial, Belorado - camping in garden
Albergue El Pajar, Agés - room
Albergue El Puntido, Hontanas - room
Albergue de San Nicolas, Itero del Castillo - garden
Albergue Gaia, Mansilla de las Mulas - room
Hostel Oveido, León - room
Albergue San Miguel, Hospital de Orbigo - garden
Albergue las Aguédas, Murias de Rechievaldo - room
Albergue municipal, Pereje - garden
Albergue A Reboleira, Fonfría - here we slept in the stable/garage
Albergue Barbacoa del Camino, Sarria - room
Albergue Casa Garcia, Gonzar - garden
Albergue Melide, Melide - garden

In the other nights we slept in campings or I just put my tent somewhere outside (but I think this is not allowed so I don't recommend it).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the French Way last September with my 7 years old Border collie. She did it very well. I carried a tent so sleeping was no problem.

You obviously have a great dog and, perhaps more importantly, don't mind a bit of discomfort in order to share time with her. I love border collies (partly because I come from the border they come from) and they are arguably the cleverest dogs on the planet. I'm sure my beautiful Hungarian vizsla Huba would love to walk the camino with me and would act (almost) as sensibly as your collie. Sadly I won't be bringing him, as my old bones and muscles need a mattress at night and anyway my wife wouldn't let him go.

But "respect" to you and to your collie, and I loved the picture of her in her scarf guarding your backpack.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1435965023898.jpg
    FB_IMG_1435965023898.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 12
Hi! Most of people don't recommend to take a dog to the Camino, but I did it and it was perfect, I am sure we will go again. I walked the French Way last September with my 7 years old Border collie. She did it very well. I carried a tent so sleeping was no problem. Most albergues don't accept dogs, but many times we could sleep in the garden. Campings are also an option but they are more expensive than albergues. Walking with a dog is not impossible at all, but I don't recommend walking it with every kind of dogs. My dog had to get along with every kind of people and with every type of animals, for sure without bothering anyone. She had to travel calmly for many many hours, she had to sleep in new places every night, outside, even in rain, in wind, in cold, when we slept in albergues with other people she had to be in deep silence all night. She had to walk 25-30-35 km every day in every kind of weather. Sometimes giant farm dogs barked in her face and she had to move forward without giving them any answer to avoid a fight. Some days I didn't find food for her, so she had to go sleep after a tiring day with an empty stomach. She was ok with all these things so she enjoyed it very much. And I enjoyed it too, because I didn't have to look after her all the time as she doesn't go away from me more than 10 meters, she never gets lost, never gets in trouble, never eats from ground, and for sure I know her reaction in every situations so I can act before she would act. Yeah, these things sounds a bit difficult... I definitely don't recommend all kind of dogs to walk the Camino with! But if you have a dog similar to mine, you will love walking together on the Way!
Didn't I read somewhere that the Camino was having issues with human waste...wouldn't this cause additional stress to The Way if every Tom, Dick, and Madeleine were thinking about bringing their dog!!

Allow me to state at the outset of this that I am a cat person, I have never owned a dog.

I do like dogs, as I like human children, as long as they belong to someone else...;) I also respect dogs very much.

HOWEVER, I STRONGLY advise NOT taking a dog on Camino for several reasons:

1. Any breed of dog must take multiple strides to keep up with their human's single stride. This means that while YOU might walk 775 Km from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, the poor dog must walk three to four times farther (in dog strides), or more if a tiny breed, to accomplish the same result. This is IMHO selfish and very cruel to the dog. Of course, the poor dog, being loyal will follow their owner into hell... YOU, the human, are responsible for their health and wellbeing. This responsibility includes not leading them into a hazardous situation.

2. Any dog, even large breeds, will suffer injuries to leg muscles and connective tissues from the ultra-long walk. This is not the usual twice-daily walk in the park. Your dog is likely much less prepared to walk several hundred kilometers than you are.

3. Any dog can pick up parasites, ticks, leeches, etc., including some carrying life threatening consequences, while walking through wilderness. Veterinary care is not as readily available as human care along the Camino routes. Why take the chance?

4. As a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office for the past two years (I go again in July for a month) I saw a pathetic variety of dogs (all breeds) who arrived with their paws bandaged, or all torn up, and some bleeding and unattended. Many arrived limping, or walking in apparent pain. None were carried. All were compelled to walk, no mater how apparent their injuries. I always offered fresh water in a clean stainless bowl. It was shocking to see owners who did not even have a bowl for their dog to drink from. Again, IMHO this is very cruel to the animal.

5. Dogs are not designed to walk these long distances over "improved" surfaces on their foot pads. They are designed to walk on unpaved surfaces, not concrete, asphalt, and cobblestones. To compel them to do so is IMHO cruelty.

6. It rains, a LOT, in northern Spain throughout most of the year. You may wear a parka or poncho. What about your dog? Dogs can get hypothermia and catch pneumonia as well as humans. How about being considerate of your pet's health and well being? A day filled with rain and mud is miserable for a human pilgrim. How do you suspect the dog feels?

Lastly, and tangentially related. DO NOT EVER allow a dog encountered in a small hamlet or village to follow you!

Last year during my month-long volunteer stint at the Pilgrim Office, we had two very cruel and heart-wrenching instances of couples trailing a dog they claimed was not theirs, arriving at the Pilgrim Office. In both cases, they stated that they were walking through a small village "about four or five days back" when the dog started following them. These dogs were clearly working country or farm dogs. They did NOT have collars and were NOT chipped. The pilgrim couples inadvertently lured and led the dogs into straying from their home territory.

You must understand that, in parts of Spain (and likely in many other countries as well), country and farm dogs are animals, NOT pets! They are not treated like our domestic pets. These animals typically live out of doors, and do not receive the veterinary or grooming care that we lavish on our pets. They are WORKING DOGS. You may or may not agree with this, but it is a fact.

The couples arriving at the Pilgrim Office blithely abandoned the poor farm dogs in the city, stating that, as the dog was not theirs and freely followed them, they were not responsible. They literally just walked away into the crowds, leaving the dog to its own devices. THAT IMHO, was the ultimate in cruel, selfish behavior. I hope never to see it again. But it happened twice in as many weeks last summer.

These "nit wits" failed to realize that once the dog got more than a kilometer or so from their normal surroundings, their sense of smell and ability to recognize "home" was diminished. The poor, confused, animal had no alternative but to follow the human. In allowing this, the human created a new master-pet bond. The pilgrims thought this cute and amusing. But they condemned the poor dog. THAT was completely stupid and selfish.

In the end, in the evening, and with no one else showing up claiming the dog, in each case, and after seeing that the dogs were watered and fed, with the help of local restaurants, we were compelled to call the local animal shelter. Fortunately, we located one that operated a "no kill" shelter. However, since both dogs wore no collars and we could detect no chips about the shoulder blades, their fate was completely uncertain.

So please, if you are a dog owner LEAVE YOUR PET IN CARE WHILE YOU ARE ON CAMINO.

If you are on Camino and a dog starts to follow you please shoo them away firmly and without striking them. This has happened to me at least three or four times when walking through a small village or hamlet. NEVER allow a dog to follow you more than a few hundred meters.

Shout at the dog to: "Va a la casa! (Go home!) Wave your arms about, raise your voice to a command tone. But, DO NOT allow a dog to follow you beyond the hamlet or village in which they appear to live.

Allowing, encouraging, or enticing any animal to stray from their normal home is cruel, inhuman, and insensitive to the animal. Please do not do it, or if you see it happening to another pilgrim, please convince that pilgrim to persuade the dog to return home.

I hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"You must understand that, in parts of Spain (and likely in many other countries as well), country and farm dogs are animals, NOT pets! They are not treated like our domestic pets. These animals typically live out of doors, and do not receive the veterinary or grooming care that we lavish on our pets. They are WORKING DOGS. You may or may not agree with this, but it is a fact"

I grew up in rural Galicia, and I would add that most of them are happy dogs living lives much more interesting than pets do. Most of them are not castrated but yes they must go to vet to get vaccinated (it's the law) .

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back