• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking a dog with you

paige

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk from September 15th
I will be travelling the Camino in September and want to take my dog. He is small and pretty hardy but doesn't like to be separated from me so I don't want to leave him behind. Will I be able to find accommodation ? Does anyone have experience of this they can share?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
there are lots of threads on this forum that discuss this at length.
I have walked with a friend and her dog, I have hosted pilgrims with dogs, etc. etc.

I think it is not a great idea. It severely limits your accommodation options, it raises your expenses, and creates logistical problems you cannot imagine just now. And it is a very very long way for anyone to walk who does not have a choice in the matter, who is greeted with violence by the natives, who must eat strange food and sleep in utility cupboards and porches and be left behind when you are busy. It often it is just too much. Even for a faithful, beloved dog.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The right dog might be great, but few dogs can deal with much heat. I would say if you have to ask here, the answer would be no, don't do it. If your dog is an avid, proven hiker and you start at the end of September, maybe.
I used to backpack with a dog who would howl with excitement when his pack came out. He would not have liked the Camino. Well, maybe in the winter.

beau.JPG

Seriously, seriously DON'T. The path can be rocky and painful even in tough walking boots, the heat killing, and you'd have to carry double the water, plus dogfood etc. Serously don't.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I didn't encounter anyone who was able to walk their dog completely from beginning to end. The few dogs I saw which were walking with their owners did not look happy. I saw dogs limping, heavily panting, and dogs whose owners had to take cabs to get from point A to point B because their pet was unable to walk. These dogs were fit and beloved pets.

Your dog is devoted to you and counts on you to make good decisions for him/her.

I agree with Rebekah and the others - your dog will be happier not going.

Blimey! a lot of people seem to have unfit dogs. I have never had a dog who couldn't outwalk me. Obviously taking any dog to a hot country - you have to make the decision that they can cope - and that you are prepared to walk earlier and later in the day if it's particularly hot. As most albergues will not allow pets you are better off camping, it also gives you more flexibility. I didn't take my dog on the European portion of my pilgrimage - mostly due to the logistics of getting us all there. I'm glad I didn't as I would of missed many nights in albergues where I met brilliant wonderful people.
I did take my dog ( a lurcher x collie) on a 900 mile cycle for the Uk leg of my journey. We had tried shorter journeys before to ensure he could cope (his feet kept slipping off the pedals... joke!) I bought a child's cycle trailer and adapted it for him (5 stone!) and his gear. Then I attached the trailer to my husband's bike - which slowed him down nicely! Our dog ran between 5 -15 miles a day depending on the terrain /temperature etc. He was checked out by a vet beforehand and during the trip and found to be fine. During a few days of heatwave whilst traversing flat terrain through Essex, it was too hot for the dog to run apart from very early morning, so he spent most of the day in the trailer being towed by my husband. It was the closest we have come to divorce so far...
If anyone is interested - http://arcadiaramblings.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/excerpt-from-book-oakys-grand-tour/
So I would say maybe cycle instead - then you can take a tent and also your dog can ride when he's had enough. Either way - it is your responsibility to ensure he is healthy and happy on any trip - it would be awful to cut short such a special journey if he couldn't make it.

In one sentence: Do NOT take your dog on the Camino - for your dogs sake! Use the search function here on this forum for the umpteen reasons why! Buen Camino sin perro, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In one sentence: Do NOT take your dog on the Camino - for your dogs sake!

OK, now this thread is getting a bit too strident. Some dogs could do the trip without the slightest problem.

Humans need exercise to feel better, look better and live a healthy life. And the dogs in our lives are no different. Dogs are built for activity. In fact, dogs can travel 20 to 30 miles (32 to 48 kilometers) a day.

Stray Dog Runs 1,700 Km across China after Befriending Cross-Country Cyclists

After a cyclist gave her food during a cross-country race through China, Xiao Sa, a little stray dog with a really big heart, followed the cyclists 1,100 miles across very rough terrain.
Xiao Sa really wanted to accompany them on their trip, and she showed incredible determination over the 20 days she ran alongside her new-found friends, all the way to Lhasa, Tibet. She traveled a total of 1,138 miles, climbed ten mountains over 4,000 meters high, and ran on uphill sections where many bikers prefer to take the bus.

I saw a couple of people with dogs. The pilgrims were each time quite burdened with camping gear. But the dogs seemed happy enough.

Taking a collie or German shepherd is a different proposition to a pampered pooch with bling on their feet and collar. I'm sure no-one would attempt the latter. But how does one generalise? And of course age and fitness is key.

I agree with general sentiment. Don't do it, the dog will usually cope with your absence. I take my dog to work and I'm not away from him for more than 4 hours in normal life. but he survived 5 weeks without me when I did the Camino.

My next trip might be 3 months. and that will be a different proposition. So I am thinking about taking him, using a tent, adapting pace and maybe having a cart for him to rest in. But it's not easy choice.

If I can leave him behind, I will. The question is - can I ?

Last edited:
Sorry, additional thought.
I didn't prepare well in terms of fitness. As a result, my 1st two weeks were tough. I was exhausted, lots of aches and pains. If my dog suffered the same as a result of my actions, I would be mortified.

I understand your wanting to talk the dog. Only you can judge which is being responsible, taking or leaving. It is possible that the Emotional distress of leaving the dog will hurt the dog more than the physical and emotional distress of a long trek. But generally I doubt it, especially if there are other carers whom the dog can remain attached to without too much change to its environment while you are away.

Good luck with the decision.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's not only the physical wear and tear, and the difficulty with accommodation. Quoting from my earlier post:

"Some dogs do get very stressed with the continual changes of walking and sleeping in a different place every night. They tend to be always 'on guard' and can't rest or sleep. I know some dogs cope but just be aware it can happen. My Belgium friend expected her dog to love the Camino (she does long walks and car trips with him at home) but he was a mess after two weeks on the Camino and stopped eating; her mother had to drive down and collect him."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It has been discussed before. I was in sync with a German lady who took her dog with her. She also took a tent. She had very few problems pitching the tent in the Albergue gardens or very nearby.The dog, a wee mongrel type, seemed to be having a rare old time.Can't say it would suit every pooch though a thoughtful owner would know there dog best.

If this were an exam question, then most of the answers would be fails for not answering the question asked ......

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
of course there are far more health problems in dogs never being exercised enough ...
We took our now 12 year old lurcher cross Oaky for a weeks cycle on the Mary Michael Pilgrimage Way this summer. In deference to his age we let him choose to ride in the trailer whenever he wanted - but he still spent a lot of time trotting and an inordinate amount of time sniffing... He made it clear he would rather travel along footpaths and riversides so we proceeded at a glacial pace - but as he enjoys the pubs en route as much as we do - we all had a most excellent journey.
I wish he would live forever but as he (nor I) will not - I may well choose a slightly more portable dog next time - one that will fit in a pannier or basket!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
of course there are far more health problems in dogs never being exercised enough ...
We took our now 12 year old lurcher cross Oaky for a weeks cycle on the Mary Michael Pilgrimage Way this summer. In deference to his age we let him choose to ride in the trailer whenever he wanted - but he still spent a lot of time trotting and an inordinate amount of time sniffing... He made it clear he would rather travel along footpaths and riversides so we proceeded at a glacial pace - but as he enjoys the pubs en route as much as we do - we all had a most excellent journey.
I wish he would live forever but as he (nor I) will not - I may well choose a slightly more portable dog next time - one that will fit in a pannier or basket!

What make and model bike trailer do you use?

I love dogs. My dogs love to spend time with me. I worked as a hospitalero in Spain. I hated it when pilgrims arrived with dogs. The dogs were regarded as vermin and had to stay outside, where their owner did not sleep. They were separated from their owner in a strange environment. This was so cruel! I felt for the dogs.
I recommend that you put your dog in a kennel / boarding establishment where it will be well cared for while you go off walking. It will be happier than the stress it would encounter if it walked with you.
Enjoy your Camino.

Here's a wonderful dog who adopted us on our recent trek in Nepal. It hiked with us four days, though one day it went off early to a high monastery with some Polish women, only to rejoin us for a repeat climb later.

The dog got along with everyone and every dog on the route. It slept outside the tea houses and would be there in the morning ready to go. If it had stayed with us we would have brought it home, but as we got lower it picked up some people heading up and returned.

This fellow just liked hiking, liked meeting people, and during the cooler months, this dog could do the any trail at any pace. I wish we could have kept him.

gompadog.JPG

Here's a wonderful dog who adopted us on our recent trek in Nepal. It hiked with us four days, though one day it went off early to a high monastery with some Polish women, only to rejoin us for a repeat climb later.

The dog got along with everyone and every dog on the route. It slept outside the tea houses and would be there in the morning ready to go. If it had stayed with us we would have brought it home, but as we got lower it picked up some people heading up and returned.

This fellow just liked hiking, liked meeting people, and during the cooler months, this dog could do the any trail at any pace. I wish we could have kept him.

View attachment 15825

That was Nepal! In Spain it is different. I was amazed at the attitude and treatment of dogs in Spain. Leave your dog at home! (So says she who takes her dogs in a stroller or as walker every day as she trains for the Camino.)

Attachments

• Geriatrics.JPG
    Geriatrics.JPG
    588.5 KB · Views: 7
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I love dogs, and I think for the most part, they return the sentiment. That said, I'd be really careful about bringing one on the Camino, primarily for all the aforementioned reasons. Also, realize that the dog owner may be under some serious stress. We encountered a poor lad at one albergue that needed to desperately find a toilet. He asked if we could watch his dog while he went inside. He had slept on the steps of the albergue all night and looked quite bedraggled.
We convinced him to take his time and freshen up a bit, he looked really rough and stressed out. It was obvious that his dog was well cared for and was a serious companion to this fellow, but I think the young man was pushing himself to a breakdown.
Others, mostly Spaniards, seemed to fair quite well with their dogs, but most of them were on the last 100 km and I suspect they had vehicle/family support that may have been helping them with evening accommodations, since we never saw them at the albergues.
In the end, you must decide what works for you, just don't go into this without giving thought to what might prove difficult for the dog, and just as importantly, you. Let us know what you decide.

That was Nepal! In Spain it is different. I was amazed at the attitude and treatment of dogs in Spain. Leave your dog at home! (So says she who takes her dogs in a stroller or as walker every day as she trains for the Camino.)

I've met many a happy dog in Spain, all over the country. Maybe you could explain your perception of their attitude.

dog.JPG dog4.JPG

View attachment 15825
We had the same experience in Sikkim. I loved her and called her Julia. She followed us for three days and slept outside against my sleeping bag, so I could feel her through the tent. Was very sad to see her go as we descended at the end of our trek. Sadly I can't find the photo of her....was before iphones!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Whilst I do not own a dog, I would describe myself as a "dog person". However I would never take my dog on the Camino - even if I lived locally in Western Europe. You do not say where you live and how far you and the dog will have to travel before you start your Camino. Maybe you need to do some "training" walks to see how your dog reacts to the changes. If you are really insistent on taking the pooch then maybe start in May rather than September. Cheers

I will be travelling the Camino in September and want to take my dog. He is small and pretty hardy but doesn't like to be separated from me so I don't want to leave him behind. Will I be able to find accommodation ? Does anyone have experience of this they can share?

Yes, lets get some further info from you @paige

First, what type of dog is it exactly? What sort of exercise regimen does it hold and is it use to walking on multiple surfaces (mud, dirt, cobblestone, lose rock, asphalt, sidewalk etc...)

Second, where are you from and what climate conditions do you experience on walks with your dog. Is your dog used to spending more than 10 hours in 100F/37C weather?

What kind of accommodation are you looking for optimally? Can YOU handle sleeping outside every night of the Camino? Or do you need a bed and a shower?

When you say "doesn't like to be separated" do you mean he has an anxiety issue that makes him difficult or impossible to kennel, or does he whine for a few days but generally get on?

I only saw two dogs besides the multitudes of wild ones on the Camino. One was walking it with a local, and seemed alright on the day I saw him, but they walked slow, small days, and the dog seemed more like an outside dog, he was big and relaxed. The other dog I saw was also big, seemed pretty muscular for any dog I've ever met, and lean. I didn't really get a chance to talk to his owner because they were running at that point (with a pack!!!) but I didn't see them in the town I stopped at so I imagine they stopped earlier too.

Answers:
Camping is discussed by multiple people. Its a difficult proposition on its own. Some people have great success with it, others find they can't get a space anywhere.
A quick search tells me there are a few Pensions (including one in Santiago) that allow dogs. HOWEVER, I didn't find many, which means you'll need to ask, beg, and sometimes be content with your dog sleeping outside and tied up. And if you have a dog that barks when it is alone.... :confused:
Hotels generally do not allow dogs, as most of the ones I walked past had a "no perros" type sign on the door (as did a few other places).
IF you choose to camp, be aware that there are good few stray dogs that live around the Camino, as well as farm dogs that roam a little more free than you'd expect. These dogs may NOT like yours... that's a danger.

Conclusion
If your dog will not survive the trauma of being away from you for the duration of your Camino, it is time to start thinking about how it will affect your Camino to have a dog. It may make your trip longer, or it may mean you wont earn your Compostella if you have to taxi in the last 100km... or something of that ilk. It may mean you'll need to be wary of walking to early or too late when the dogs of the towns and outskirts are about. It may mean doing the entire thing in tents, and being prepared to be turned away from restaurants that wont let you tie your dog up outside. It may mean forgoing groceries unless someone can watch your pup.
Think seriously about the benefits to costs of bringing your beloved animal. Even humans struggle on this journey. Animals may seem a lot tougher than humans, but domesticated pets are a wild card.
You may have a Camino ready animal, but are you and the Camino ready for your pet?

I have seen people walking with dogs on both the Camino Frances and St Olavs Way, and stayed in the same places from time to time.

One was allegedly a guide dog for a blind walker, but the walker wasn't carrying any of the normal guide harness, and if it was a guide dog, it was there as a companion, not to assist its master. The time I stayed at the same albergue, it was a place with a number of small rooms, and there was no need to have it in a room with strangers. I know I wouldn't have felt comfortable sharing a room with a stranger's dog, and I object to them being in eating and food preparation areas, which is a risk when they are left to roam.

On St Olavs Way, it is generally much quieter. A woman and her son were walking with a companion dog, a young dog that was relatively undisciplined when running loose at the end of the day. It stayed in the same hut as other walkers at one place, and was an inconvenience to everyone else despite the best efforts of its owners. On the next night, the hosts were able to give the party a separate room, which reduced the disruption it was able to wreak. This dog had its own pack saddle, and carried its own food. After that, I walked a long stage, and didn't see this group again.

I cannot say how difficult it would be to find accommodation. It might be a little more complicated and require making prior arrangements from time to time to find dog friendly places.

Don't expect other pilgrims to be comfortable with a dog in albergues. Some of us might like dogs in a general sense, provided they don't disrupt things and get in the road, etc. It is my view is that, if not kept in control, you risk walking with what many will see as an unwelcome nuisance.

Of course, albergues do not allow dogs at all. You will either have to camp (not practical or I would think possible with perhaps a handful of exceptions) or stay in hotels. On eight Caminos I have met a number of dogs and their masters. With two exceptions, it was all about the master's emotional needs, and the dog had to put up with it-- in one case, the dog was verging on dysfunctionality or a canine breakdown. Of the two exceptions, one had a dog which was managing to keep up with things and not minding too much; the other was the only time where I saw the dog clearly enjoying things. I do not like using such strong language, but on this I would go so far as to say that taking a dog on the Camino is borderline abusive.

Of course, albergues do not allow dogs at all. You will either have to camp (not practical or I would think possible with perhaps a handful of exceptions) or stay in hotels. On eight Caminos I have met a number of dogs and their masters. With two exceptions, it was all about the master's emotional needs, and the dog had to put up with it-- in one case, the dog was verging on dysfunctionality or a canine breakdown. Of the two exceptions, one had a dog which was managing to keep up with things and not minding too much; the other was the only time where I saw the dog clearly enjoying things. I do not like using such strong language, but on this I would go so far as to say that taking a dog on the Camino is borderline abusive.

I cannot agree more!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
  • First, please consider the trauma (to your dog) and expense of flying your dog to Spain. There may very well be a quarantine period as well.
  • Second, consider the trauma of the dog having to walk 6-8 hours all day long on very hot pavement and trail, sometimes with sharp rocks.
  • Third, consider your fellow pilgrims, who may be allergic or be afraid of your dog. Also consider the many times you will encounter livestock like cattle and sheep on the trail. Farmers may not be so happy to have your dog barking at their livestock - nor may their cattle dogs or sheep dogs be friendly to another canine.
  • Fourth, consider where you will sleep, as most albergues will not allow your dog inside
  • Fifth, consider the days you will be walking in pouring rain - will the dog enjoy that? Will you buy him a raincoat?
  • Sixth, please consider just leaving your dog home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also consider that depending on breed, a dog needs 10-16 hours sleep per day distributed between the main sleep at night and 'dog naps' during the day. If you sleep (nearly) every day in a new place your dog will, most likely always be on high alert and not be able to rest/sleep as profoundly as he needs to for his well being. SY

I do not like using such strong language, but on this I would go so far as to say that taking a dog on the Camino is borderline abusive.
If you don't like to use such a strong language, please don't do it. At least I hope this will be the exeption of a good habbit on this forum not to medical diagnoses to each other, at least not without a good medical check :cool:
It seems like dogs make people react more strong then usual.

Last year I was on the European Peace Walk (EPW), 600 kms from Vienna to Trieste. As everyone in at least the first 2 groups know, about half way dog suddenly started to walk with us for one full day (without us paying attention to him), and another one (then we paid attention), and another. For 11 days he kept walking with us, waiting every morning outside the hostel to come with us for another day. When we walked 30 kms a day, the dog (his name became Grattan, after the founder of the EPW) did at least 60 kms. Long storey, but in the end, dog is laying next to me now at home...
If you can read Italian: http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/trieste...e-di-pace-randagio-ma-con-microchip-1.9799969

20140812_145735 (640x346).jpg

The EPW is not a camino, but at least some dogs love to run and walk a lot and will be able to do the camino. It can be a special unique experience.

Spain is not very dog friendly. As far as I know, it is not allowed by law to take dogs into restaurants. So you need to be open for eating on terraces, which is not a hard taks when it the weather is nice ;)
Albergues or hostels can be hard to find. A list of dog friendly places can be found at:
http://www.caminoconmiperro.com/de_santiago/alojamientos.html
Be prepared that costs can be much higher.

I gues it is like walking with a child. It can be wonderful, or it can give you a hard time. ( but the camino always give you what you need, not what you want :cool:) You need to be able to adjust to each other and be prepared to change plans when your dog want different things then you.

At this moment I wouldn't dare to do it. In other words, I'm not sure that I will be flexibel/willing enough to adjust my camino enough to my dog needs.

The OP started this topic nearly a year ago. Wishing everyone thinking about taking a dog a lot of wishdom, and a beautiful camino.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
CISSA69 I bought a children's bike trailer from ebay - quite large - it sat 2 toddlers beside each other. I wasn't sure if my dog would consider travelling in it - so I didn't want to spend much! (£25) After much time persuading my husband that it WAS a good idea for him to tow a 5 stone dog - we altered it to have a larger flat area for Oaky to sit on, with a non-slip mat. This left the foot-well beneath for dog food and a large area behind in which the tent magically fitted! Here are a couple of photos. Also the raincover can fold over making a 'kennel' for night-times if he didn't want to share the tent. He was unsure at first (https://arcadiaramblings.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/excerpt-from-book-oakys-grand-tour/) but now when we go off cycling he will hop in the trailer when hubby slows down for a gateway and hop off when he sees a hill approaching (a remarkably intelligent dog of course...!) He would always rather be with us than left at home or even with relatives who spoil him with treats....
K1ypp - there is a lovely real ale made locally called 'the dogs bollocks' - we all are fond of that!!
On a 900 mile journey Oaky could hardly pass a petshop without the staff running out with free biscuits and pig's ears - he had the time of his life!

Attachments

• pilgrimage part 2 155 (768x1024).jpg
    pilgrimage part 2 155 (768x1024).jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Image015.jpg
    Image015.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 9

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back