• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking a number in Santiago.

They cannot afford to hire more staff. More volunteers might help... like from amongst the Forum membership... Just sayin... Consider being part of the solution... See this thread for everything you need to know...

Each time I return to work as a volunteer, I continue to make the same business case that they MUST introduce at least SOME automation to the process, particularly for those arriving pilgrims who are okay with it.

I accept maintaining as much of the traditional approach as can be done. Continuing to throw more bodies or longer hours at the problem is not going to successfully address the issue. I explain my approach below...

Presently, the pilgrim office has 16 networked counter positions for processing arriving pilgrims, plus another four networked workstations in the adjacent group processing office. Even if these 20 workstations are staffed 24 x 7, it will not be adequate to process the estimated 3000 - 5000 pilgrims expected per day, seven days per week, during peak season of the the 2021 Holy Year.

Simply put, more bodies and more hours is NEVER going to be a valid solution, at least IMHO.

By the numbers, one person can process about 40 - 60 arriving pilgrims seeking a Compostela and / or Distance Certificate per five or six-hour workday. Presently, the individual contact time at the counter, for one pilgrim is (in general) from 8 - 10 minutes.

This is NOT a linear model. Each pilgrim is different. I have seen some people be finished in 2-3 minutes, and some take 15 minutes, or more. Staff must take regular breaks: bathroom, water, snack, etc.

There are no formal break period, per se. Staff are encouraged to look after their own needs. So, the work rate is highly elastic.

Staff and volunteers typically work six-days per week. Interviewing pilgrims is actually very stressful and these people are wiped out after their shifts... Again, this is not an assembly line occupation you cannot do "back of the envelope" straight line calculations on this.

The process solution is very complex and highly multivariate. It can be modeled using automation. Been there done that, so I understand what I am talking about.

But, let's not even get started down that path. I have first-hand experience with this, enough to know that it is not a difficult thing to setup and model. However, the powers that be, are likely not prepared to deal with the results. So, why bother...

This really busy time starts each year at Semana Santa, Holy Week, and continues through mid - October. The peak hits at the same time every year. But in 2021, it is expected to be some 40 - 50 percent HIGHER than what will be seen in 2020. At least that is what historic analysis suggests. The Holy Year volume is typically about 50% higher than the last, previous "normal" year.

Presently, I am trying to suggest, because a head-on approach never works, that they TRIAGE arriving pilgrims into FOUR parallel, but physically processes, The building can accommodate two separate entries, one of Rua das Carretas (as is) and another around the corner, through the large vehicle gate (as the architect designed the campus for 2016).

Here is my basic TRIAGE process approach:

AUTOMATED ASSIST PROCESSING:

Groups of 10 or more
- these groups MUST:
  • Pre-register, over the internet, at least 48-hours before the group arrival at Santiago,
  • Submit ALL their estadillo credential information electronically, using a web-based application that has already been developed but never deployed,
  • The person submitting the information receives a SINGLE QR code, following successful receipt of the transmitted group data.
  • This code relates to the large group application, and has a large letter G (for Group) printed on it. The code can be printed out or saved to a smartphone.
  • At the office, the group leader proceeds to the designated Express / Group Processing entry (side gate) and has the group QR code read,
  • The system verifies that information has been received, processed and completed certificates are ready for pick up.
  • ONLY the group leader enters the pilgrim office Express / Group processing office to validate credentials and pick up pre-printed / completed Compostelas and / or Distance Certificate.
  • Other group members either wait in the rear garden, or outside the complex, wherever...
  • Payments due are made, and the group leader exists the process...
Individual Pilgrims CHOOSING to use the Express Automated Process - These individual (non-group) pilgrims MUST:
  • access the available web application, at least 24-hours in advance of arrival at Santiago,
  • Submit ALL the information now on the manual estadillo form that all pilgrims complete at the counter, all data is mandatory. But all EU data protections are adhered to. Specifically whereas demographic data is maintained, names are discarded immediately after the Compostela / Distance Certificate is picked up.
  • Select the Latin given name they prefer on their Compostela from a pull-down choice box
  • Select the OPTIONAL dedication "In Vicare Pro" and provide the full and correct spelling of that name for the dedication on the Compostela,
  • Opt-in to buy an optional Distance Certificate,
  • Submit this request, and receive a QR code in reply, similar to the current system. Except these QR codes have the letter E (for Express) printed on them for all to see.
  • On arrival at the Pilgrim Office, pilgrims with an electronic QR code (identical to an airline border pass) on their smartphones, are directed to the side / Express entrance (also used by group leaders).
  • The QR code is read and validated at the entry, the pilgrim enters,
  • Credentials are reviewed, validated and double-stamped.
  • The pilgrim is presented their precision-printed (calligraphic font) Compostela (with or without the In Vicare Pro dedication) and a similarly printed (optional) Distance Certificate.
  • Payment is made and the pilgrim exits the process...
MANUAL ONLY PROCESSING:

Groups of less than 10 (9 and below), must -
  • Designate a group leader to approach the old-school group office, as is down now
  • Security validates whether the group is valid
  • The group leader completes the estadillo form, as is done now,
  • The group leader collects all credencials from the group, as is done now,
  • The group leader presents the completed estadillo form and credencials, as is done now,
  • Staff or security personnel accept these material and issue a timed return receipt to the leader. as is done now,
  • At the appropriate time, the leader returns to collect Compstelas and Distance Certificate (if requested), same as at present,
  • Only the leader enters the facility. All other group members are asked to wait outside.
  • No QR code is issued.
Individual pilgrims not in a group who cannot, or choose not to use the Express / Automated process, must -
  • Enter the Pilgrim Office campus
  • Proceed to the waiting area / hall, down the stairs and to the left
  • Take a QR number from a kiosk, this ticket has a large I (eye) printed on it (Individual)
  • Wait for their number to be called, as is the case presently
  • Present themselves, and their completed credential at the counter, when directed, as is now done.
  • The remainder process is the same as now done...
This is what I would like to see happen. The arriving flow is triaged into four separate sub-processes. The volume of people who need to enter the campus is reduced. The amount of automation is inversely applied to the volume of arriving pilgrims.

Everyone is taken care of. Groups have two processes. Individuals have choices as well. Holy Year, surge processing is accommodated without bringing everything to a screeching halt, causing riots, or attracting unfavorable attention by the media...

Automation is used ONLY for those who choose it, except for large groups (> 10) who are the primary cause of overwhelming delays, and which literally choke the process to a standstill. Large groups must mandatorily use the automated process.

I view this as a win-win-win. Tradition is maintained. The staff wins, the pilgrim wins, and the Church traditionalists win. After we get past the 2021 Holy Year, they can rethink returning to the current process. But, I rather suspect they will come to appreciate doing a lot more work with only a nominal staff increase. One can only hope.

My considered assessment is that the semi-automated process will take care of at least two-thirds of all pilgrims. In my view, that reduces the number of folks who must use the current, wholly manual process (excepting the QR number system) to less than is now the case.

I keep making suggestions leading to the above process solution. However, it is a challenge. I plan to make my pitch once again in 2020. I know that most of the pieces are already done. The disparate process pieces just need to be properly integrated into a process solution that flows smoothly.

At this point, I do not care much WHO can get the above in front of someone in authority who can direct staff to "make it happen." I just want things to work.

Obtaining credit is my last thought. One of the lessons I have learned in my six straight years as a volunteer, is that no idea is a good idea, until it comes from someone on staff, preferably in the Cathedral hierarchy. Human nature being what it is, a good idea is a good idea primarily when it comes from the top down. Maybe it is cultural... I do not know. I have seen similar paradigms in large corporations and government agencies.

Relating all of this, I am reminded about the old saw about being able to lead a horse to water, but not being able to make it drink...(sigh)...

If all pilgrims go away feeling satisfied about their experience, then I have done my job...at least the job I gave myself... Whatever makes things manageable and smooth for the 2021 Holy Year is what I am in favor of. That light coming towards us down the proverbial tunnel may be a train, it may be sunshine... I just want to be sure it is not a very angry pilgrim mob with torches.... anticipating an Auto da Fe!

Hope this helps the dialog.
This would be perfect.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The BIG takeaway is DO NOT DAWDLE OR DELAY in going to the pilgrims office and obtaining your queue number from the kiosk!

When you first see the difference between your number and the number now being seen, you can make an informed decision about leaving the Pilgrim Office to check in at your accommodations, get cleaned up, have lunch, etc.

Use the QR scanning capability built-in to your smartphone to check the status of the queue over the internet. You can do this literally from anywhere.

If your queue number is 50 or less from the number being processed, wrap up what you are doing quickly and return to the office.

By the time the difference between your number and the number being processed is 30 or less, YOU MUST BE WAITING in the hallway, where you can see “Señor Bong.” This is the HDTV hanging over the entry to the processing area that announces the next number to be seen, as well as what desk / counter position to go to.

If you miss your counter call, you are screwed. Because so many pilgrims failed to pay attention then showed up well out of sequence, management adopted a policy of canceling your place in the queue.

This compels you to obtain a new, higher number, and restart the process. DON’T BE A NO SHOW!

Finally, security have been told to turn off the number issuing kiosks when they have issued enough tickets, such that there are enough pilgrims pending / waiting somewhere to keep the available staff busy through office closing. Given arrival patterns and staff availability, this cutoff could occur at any time in late afternoon or early evening. This all depends on supply and demand.

The purpose of this is to ensure that, if you have a number from the kiosk, you will be processed... unless you were a “no show” earlier, when your number was called to the jointer, but you did not reply immediately.

If you do get caught out on arrival, your ONLY option is to return in time for the office opening the next morning. Tickets for the next day are NEVER issued in advance.

Please bear in mind that this new process is among many to come to get ready for the 2021 Holy Year. Be flexible and patient.

Hope this helps.
I was volunteering over St. James' feast day this year, and on that day specifically, all of the numbers had been given out by noon that day. We saw over 1400 pilgrims that day. If you can plan it that way, it is better if you can get your Compostela the next day from arriving and just get there early so you have a shorter wait.

Well I'm worried now as I'm starting there on October 7 for a fortnight as a volunteer and am not sure I'll be able to understand this system.
I suppose you could pray for me.
As a volunteer, it's super easy! You will either be put in the office behind the desk, and they show you how to advance the number queue (it's a click of a mouse), or you are in Monte de Gozo showing pilgrims how to pre-register on their phones, which is a pre-requisite to get a number for the queue. I was very very blessed by my time volunteering this year. I hope your time is as blessed as mine was!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
or you are in Monte de Gozo showing pilgrims how to pre-register on their phones, which is a pre-requisite to get a number for the queue.
Is this new? Are you saying that a pilgrim must pre-register and can't just show up at the Pilgrims Office to get a ticket?

Is this new? Are you saying that a pilgrim must pre-register and can't just show up at the Pilgrims Office to get a ticket?
My understanding is that they implemented this as a way to make the time waiting shorter. Your information is already in the system, so whoever is doing your Compostela doesn't have to add it to the computer.

If you don't do it before, they make you do it on your phone before you get your number--you have to show your confirmation code to the officer/volunteer issuing the numbers. The only exception is if you don't have a phone with qr code capabilities. They still have paper forms for that, but try to use them as little as possible.

I have no idea how lone they have been doing it that way. I just know it was that way all summer long.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a volunteer, it's super easy! You will either be put in the office behind the desk, and they show you how to advance the number queue (it's a click of a mouse), or you are in Monte de Gozo showing pilgrims how to pre-register on their phones, which is a pre-requisite to get a number for the queue. I was very very blessed by my time volunteering this year. I hope your time is as blessed as mine was!!!
How do you preregistration on your phone? Is there an app? This could be challenging for us technically challenged folks.

It must be nearly as difficult as "rocket science"...or is it really?
That's the funny thing I have learned over the years - even rocket science isn't "rocket science". (I emphasize that I am not a rocket scientist and don't really know, but I believe my analogy is valid.) In other words, if you break down the process, one step at a time, almost anybody can follow it through. It is quite like the Camino - 800 km seems impossible and most people will never try past a few km. But when you do take it on and persist, one step at a time, you realize that it is not so mysterious or impossible at all.

That's why I say people should not talk as if there are talented techies and the rest of us non-techies, any more than there are those talented people who can walk the camino and those masses who can't.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.