• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

taking a sleeping bag in Sept?

laineylainey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
started in 2012, hooked ever since.
I am hopefully walking the Salvador and Primitivo in Sept and my question to those who have walked these routes especially the Salvador around that time of year, is did you take a sleeping bag? I ask because although my sleeping bag is only 700G, I am more conscious of carrying weight this year, especially taking warmer clothes for the potential of a chilly Hospitales walk. So wondering if in the Albergues I would get away with a liner? The feedback on most of the Albergues on the Salvador is that they are great - especially Sandra''s at Benduenos?
Thanks for any advice, and also is there anything I should be taking for this route?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I cannot recall an Albergue where mantas (blankets) were not available on these routes. We walked in May & June of this year and temperatures were variable. We were grateful for the blankets on occasion - at La Robla on the San Salvador; at Escamplero; Cornellana, and Pola de Allende. On a couple of occasions on other routes we slept with just our silk liners and piled jackets, towels etc on top. I guess your options are: carry 700 gms you may not need or risk a chilly night or two.

Some may be aware that the magnificent Casa Cuba in Burgos does not provide blankets... the lovely bar opposite will cheerfully lend you one of their fleece blankets. Needless to say these should be returned when you drop in for desayunos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Talking about Sandra's Albergue at Benduenos. Can anyone confirm if it is easy enough to find? Is it about 3k before Campomanes?

I am hopefully walking the Salvador and Primitivo in Sept and my question to those who have walked these routes especially the Salvador around that time of year, is did you take a sleeping bag? I ask because although my sleeping bag is only 700G, I am more conscious of carrying weight this year, especially taking warmer clothes for the potential of a chilly Hospitales walk. So wondering if in the Albergues I would get away with a liner? The feedback on most of the Albergues on the Salvador is that they are great - especially Sandra''s at Benduenos?
Thanks for any advice, and also is there anything I should be taking for this route?

I haven't walked either the Salvador or the Primitivo but I ALWAYS take a sleeping bag, whatever the season and whatever the walk....
Buen camino :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My daughter and I did the Norte to Santander then the Primitivo to Frances September 2016. Only had silk liners. Bag completely unnecessary. Wind was the biggest issue on the Hospitales but our rain/wind jackets took care of that. plus light gloves.

I'm just about to buy a Western Mountaineering Summerlite sleeping bag for my Camino next April. It only weighs 500g which could perhaps be an alternative if you still choose to take a bag?

My daughter and I did the Norte to Santander then the Primitivo to Frances September 2016. Only had silk liners. Bag completely unnecessary. Wind was the biggest issue on the Hospitales but our rain/wind jackets took care of that. plus light gloves.
Thanks Arch for that. Out of interest thinking about the Hospitales day, what type of wind/rain jacket did you use - anything special? I have carried on all my walks a very simple shower proof jacket simply because it rolls us very small. I was thinking of taking one of my husbands merino long sleeved tops for extra warmth.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Talking about Sandra's Albergue at Benduenos. Can anyone confirm if it is easy enough to find? Is it about 3k before Campomanes?

In the little hamlet of Herias, you will see a clear marker with an indication for Bendueños. It is a turn-off to the left. It is a short steep ascent, but nothing crazy. I can't remember exactly how far it is, but it is oh so worth the detour!

And as to the sleeping bag question, I think it is impossible for anyone to tell you whether you will need one. All anyone can tell you is whether he or she would need one. I used my bag regularly on the Norte this past June and July, while many others would say that they would be burning up in a bag.

In the little hamlet of Herias, you will see a clear marker with an indication for Bendueños. It is a turn-off to the left. It is a short steep ascent, but nothing crazy. I can't remember exactly how far it is, but it is oh so worth the detour!

And as to the sleeping bag question, I think it is impossible for anyone to tell you whether you will need one. All anyone can tell you is whether he or she would need one. I used my bag regularly on the Norte this past June and July, while many others would say that they would be burning up in a bag.
Thanks for that advice and also directions to Sandra which I definitely don't want to miss as part of my Salvador experience. The photos of inside her place look amazing!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All the albergues and pensiones on the Primitvo that I and my companions came across have blankets. I used my 50F degree bag a couple times just for covering myself in May, but I wasn't cold. The heat inside the albergues is a comfortable temperature for most people. A light weight one never hurts in case you are cold natured. My husband never even used the blankets. It's hard to tell you what you will need. But I wouldn't take a thick bag.

Alaskadiver it was your great blog on the Primitivo that made me ask the question. I am walking alone and am trying to reduce my carrying load for both my walks perhaps especially the Salvador. I have a 700g bag and now think it needs to come with me even if I dont always use it. I had thought about just a silk liner as everytime I have been away in Sept it has been very warm. Thanks for your reply.

I'm just about to buy a Western Mountaineering Summerlite sleeping bag for my Camino next April. It only weighs 500g which could perhaps be an alternative if you still choose to take a bag?
Walked the primitivo in september,and just took a silk liner. Wished I had taken a bag as it is so much easier to mess with.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Beeman, I also walked the Primitivo (and Salvador) in sept and was glad of both my bag and silk liner.
Thank you. Its nice to hear the ending of a story, especially a happy ending. :)

Midway between a silk sleeping bag liner and a sleeping bag, or an alternative to a sleeping bag, is the Costco down blanket. Cheap as chips and very lightweight. I use it with a silk sleeping-bag liner, but the main reason for that is bedbugs. If you are not worried about them, then the Costco blanket by itself is a very lightweight option. I bought one ($29), cut off about a quarter by machine sewing two lines (fine stitches) down the quilt and cutting between the lines. It now weighs a mere 300grams.

If using it with a silk liner, you need to attach some velcro or snaps, to prevent it falling off.

My thanks to others on this forum for the tip.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back