• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking our kids on Camino Frances....

everyday.journeys

Camino Frances with the kids!
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Taking our kids on the Camino Frances....

We all have our own reasons for walking the Camino, ours is one of a bucket list checklist that following a cancer diagnosis last year made us bring it forward. We were going to wait for the kids to have all grown up, but life is short and this is something that we really wanted to do whilst we had the health and the opportunity. So we took the two kids (11 & 15) out of school, made our arrangements with work and made our way down to SJPP.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 8.57.27 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 8.57.27 AM.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

We all have our own reasons for walking the Camino, ours is one of a bucket list checklist that following a cancer diagnosis last year made us bring it forward. We were going to wait for the kids to have all grown up, but life is short and this is something that we really wanted to do whilst we had the health and the opportunity. So we took the two kids (11 & 15) out of school, made our arrangements with work and made our way down to SJPP.
Bravo on that decision. I too have been planning for quite a long while to walk the camino with my grown kids. Last couple years saw us buy tickets even to fly from California to Paris but covid slapped us and our plans around and we had to cancel.
If you have the energy and interest a documentary and possibly even a book of your experience would be a great project.
I plan to go to your YouTube channel and follow you. As you may have heard from others the camino walk is magical. Try not to plan to much just let the days unfold. If you wanna stop and rest do it. If you want to stop and play do that too. I don't know your philosophy on religion but I can share that the Buddha said that the cause of all suffering is having expectations. As I have learned to manage my expectations I have suffered less. Buen camino to you and your dear family.

Bravo on that decision. I too have been planning for quite a long while to walk the camino with my grown kids. Last couple years saw us buy tickets even to fly from California to Paris but covid slapped us and our plans around and we had to cancel.
If you have the energy and interest a documentary and possibly even a book of your experience would be a great project.
I plan to go to your YouTube channel and follow you. As you may have heard from others the camino walk is magical. Try not to plan to much just let the days unfold. If you wanna stop and rest do it. If you want to stop and play do that too. I don't know your philosophy on religion but I can share that the Buddha said that the cause of all suffering is having expectations. As I have learned to manage my expectations I have suffered less. Buen camino to you and your dear family.
Hey Keith...Thank you for the 'bravo', before leaving for the walk we had as many positives as also negatives. Say that, the Pilgrims on the walk so far have been amazing and cheering on the two kids, we have also been approached by both Pilgrims and Locals saying what an amazing impact that this will have on the kids. We are very privilged to be able to get on the Camino and start walking as a family.

You must keep an eye out for the Pyrenees video...it was 50mph winds and such a challenging start to the walk we did wonder what we had exposed our children to. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On CP earlier this month saw a young couple from the Canaries carrying their 11 month old from Valenca. Baby on dads back. One of their own dads walking with them carrying day gear. Assume they sent other stuff forward. What a great tale to tell your child later. Met up with them a few times and saw them at pilgrims office with baby in pushchair.

We started our walk on 19th May 2022 and have started to share our journey on our YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_FWJOFBQs53u-846958UNQ).

Come on over and Subcribe to our channel to get the latest video releases.
So inspired by you both! truthfully, when our 3 boys were younger, we took them everywhere ( we Homeschooled them, so everything became an adventure & a "unit study" of sorts) in the future they could write about it, do a verbal & written report about it as well as broaden their horizons to travel. They were the best & I don't regret a trip investment one bit (there were lots of trips!) we had time shares through family & hubbs traveled a lot for work, ( so we created a journey & learning opportunity out of it) So all this to say, it's a journey your kids will never forget & will look back on with great memories. on the Camino, the saying is walk your own Camino, so enjoy & take your own pace. Blessings to you~

So inspired by you both! truthfully, when our 3 boys were younger, we took them everywhere ( we Homeschooled them, so everything became an adventure & a "unit study" of sorts) in the future they could write about it, do a verbal & written report about it as well as broaden their horizons to travel. They were the best & I don't regret a trip investment one bit (there were lots of trips!) we had time shares through family & hubbs traveled a lot for work, ( so we created a journey & learning opportunity out of it) So all this to say, it's a journey your kids will never forget & will look back on with great memories. on the Camino, the saying is walk your own Camino, so enjoy & take your own pace. Blessings to you~
Hey CreationRamblers...thank you for this! It means so much to hear from others that have made the jump and took their children out of the normal routine and made exposure to the outside world. In the time that they have been with us they have already benefitted so much and we are so proud of them both. Here is to the journeys that lay ahead :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey Keith...Thank you for the 'bravo', before leaving for the walk we had as many positives as also negatives. Say that, the Pilgrims on the walk so far have been amazing and cheering on the two kids, we have also been approached by both Pilgrims and Locals saying what an amazing impact that this will have on the kids. We are very privilged to be able to get on the Camino and start walking as a family.

You must keep an eye out for the Pyrenees video...it was 50mph winds and such a challenging start to the walk we did wonder what we had exposed our children to. :)
I'll look for it tomorrow. Stay strong

For those of you on the Pyrenees on the 20th May 2022 will empathise with all those that walked that day from SJPP (or Orrison like we did) to Roncesvalles. The rumour was that the winds got over 50mph and there were some injures that walked off that mountain range that day!

We are sharing our videos for anyone that would like to sample what we went through on that day :) (we survived with no injuries luckily!)

Very windy when we crossed on 15/5/22. Three steps forward and many back!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We love getting approached with the pointed finger and the statement 'you're that British family' 🤣, it makes us chuckle every time.

And during our recent entry into Logrono (after a very long walk, you currently on/have done the Camino will know what I am on about) a rather large group of fellow Peregrinos located in a cafe, rapturously clapped our kids into their final stage of the day! Thank you to that table, it made our day.

Anyway, we have made it to Carrión de los Condes and we are having a rest day (we are staying at a great hostel - https://hostalsantiago.es) to allow the feet to recover and the kids to catch up on some screen time...the wifi here is amazing!

Please keep saying 'hi' to us as we love chatting to fellow Peregrinos (that is what the Camino is about, right!) and getting to know more about you 😃.

ACS_0402.jpg

We love getting approached with the pointed finger and the statement 'you're that British family' 🤣, it makes us chuckle every time.

And during our recent entry into Logrono (after a very long walk, you currently on/have done the Camino will know what I am on about) a rather large group of fellow Peregrinos located in a cafe, rapturously clapped our kids into their final stage of the day! Thank you to that table, it made our day.

Anyway, we have made it to Carrión de los Condes and we are having a rest day (we are staying at a great hostel - https://hostalsantiago.es) to allow the feet to recover and the kids to catch up on some screen time...the wifi here is amazing!

We have been asked quite a bit around our journey (why/how/when etc) so thought we would get our YouTube/Insta links shared so that fellow Peregrinos can join in on our fun:-

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_FWJOFBQs53u-846958UNQ
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/everyday.journeys/

Please keep saying 'hi' to us as we love chatting to fellow Peregrinos (that is what the Camino is about, right!) and getting to know more about you 😃.

View attachment 127100
Great to catch up with you, British family! I haven’t seen you for a while and wondered where you were. Dinner that first day at Orisson seems like eons ago. Peace and all good as you continue on the way!

Great to catch up with you, British family! I haven’t seen you for a while and wondered where you were. Dinner that first day at Orisson seems like eons ago. Peace and all good as you continue on the way!
Hey Kathryn! Hope all well? Yes Orrison seems an eternity away now. Where are you and how you getting on?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am so envious. I have been trying to get my son and his kids ( about the same age as yours) to hike the Camino with me, but to no avail. So you are kind of a surrogate. May your journey be a great one! Buen Camino

Hey Kathryn! Hope all well? Yes Orrison seems an eternity away now. Where are you and how you getting on?
I’ve got Covid but mild symptoms and doing well. I bussed ahead to León to be close to a bigger hospital in case I developed any difficulties but all is well and I’ll be back on Camino soon! Take care and keep posting!

I am so envious. I have been trying to get my son and his kids ( about the same age as yours) to hike the Camino with me, but to no avail. So you are kind of a surrogate. May your journey be a great one! Buen Camino
Lol Lurch! Good luck with the persuasion and if it helps, tell them that our two are loving it! 😃

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve got Covid but mild symptoms and doing well. I bussed ahead to León to be close to a bigger hospital in case I developed any difficulties but all is well and I’ll be back on Camino soon! Take care and keep posting!
Noooooo...we are so sorry to hear that. Stay safe and well and get back on that Camino when you are string enough. Buen Camino 🚶‍♀️

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Day 22 - So who forgot to set the alarm last night?

Pointing no fingers, however, it was Mark! We were planning on leaving at around 06:15 this morning, instead we woke up at 06:30am...so with a rush around and gathering of items, cleaning teeth and generally making sure we hadn't left anything behind in our beautiful room (at La Morena) we headed out of the door towards Bercianos del Real Camino.

This stage of the walk is beautiful, we thought that we had seen some wonderful views...but this stage was AWESOME! If you are heading out (currenty on the Camino Frances) try and do this part of the walk, it is stunning. It is a long one, but worth it!

We checked in our auberge tonight at Bercianos (La Perala) and it was well worth the walk. We highly recommend it
. Anyway, we are getting ourselves ready for tomorrows walk which will take us to Reliegos. I am setting the alarm tonight as it is due to be a hot tomorrow 🥵.

If you would like to watch some of our journey, then head on over to YouTube as we have just released our Pamplona to Puenta la Reina video:

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-09 at 5.11.07 PM.jpeg

Day 23 - Wow, our sunrise picture has a yellow arrow in it! 🥱

So we set off this morning at 06:03 (I know this because I could not quite believe the sunrise that I was seeing and I took a pic...below) and started on our walk from Bercianos del Real Camino to Reliegos. We had been warned that the Meseta area was quite dry, not much shade and little water opportunities and boy, all those that had stated this are very honest for this stage! And we seemed to be walking past trees FOREVER today!

Apart from the trees and limited water, the walk was accomplished with the energy and courage that we muster everyday. We are so proud of our kids today that they managed such a hard part of the walk with little (didn't say none!) moaning.
So here is to a good meal, good nights rest (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...liegos_Province_of_Leon_Castile_and_Leon.html) and the setting of the alarm clock for 05:15am again to get ourselves to Leon for a well earned rest day.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-10 at 4.43.41 PM.jpeg

Nicely done. Can you tell us what camera gear and post-production software you're using? Here's a contribution to your rapidly improving Spanish: "auberge" is French, but in Spanish it's "albergue" (al-ber-gay). Thanks and keep up the good work!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey @Mercutio....My wife keeps correcting me on that one as well, I just seem to struggle to get the pronunciation right 😖. I am going to try harder though in the future 👍.

We use a Sony ZV-1 for capturing and Louise then edits on Adobe..and thank you 😃
Nicely done. Can you tell us what camera gear and post-production software you're using? Here's a contribution to your rapidly improving Spanish: "auberge" is French, but in Spanish it's "albergue" (al-ber-gay). Thanks and keep up the good work!

Day 23 - Wow, our sunrise picture has a yellow arrow in it! 🥱

So we set off this morning at 06:03 (I know this because I could not quite believe the sunrise that I was seeing and I took a pic...below) and started on our walk from Bercianos del Real Camino to Reliegos. We had been warned that the Meseta area was quite dry, not much shade and little water opportunities and boy, all those that had stated this are very honest for this stage! And we seemed to be walking past trees FOREVER today!

Apart from the trees and limited water, the walk was accomplished with the energy and courage that we muster everyday. We are so proud of our kids today that they managed such a hard part of the walk with little (didn't say none!) moaning.
So here is to a good meal, good nights rest (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...liegos_Province_of_Leon_Castile_and_Leon.html) and the setting of the alarm clock for 05:15am again to get ourselves to Leon for a well earned rest day.

We have just released our latest vlog (Puenta to Estella):

View attachment 127315
Amazing and a perfect arrow. I'm so glad you shared this.

Day 24 - Oh dear, Marks foot is giving him trouble!

We left our albergue in Reliegos this morning at the fine hour of 6:00am (after dropping a small metal lip balm in a large metal locker, making a very loud sound to the ears of our neighbouring sleeping pilgrims....Mark is really sorry, he didn't mean to
😖
) and started or walk towards Leon.

We were very excited about getting to Leon as we are tomorrow having a rest day!

We had an amazing breakfast at the next town (Mansilla de las Mulas) and contiuned on our walk towards Leon. As the walk progressed though, Mark' left foot started to ache and by the time we had walked through the amazing thunder and lightning in Leon, Mark was literally limping (in his own admission he was close to tears). We managed to get to the hotel and his foot is now raised and iced.

The walk today was pretty good to be fair and we all (apart from Mark' foot) enjoyed the journey, the change from walking past muliple trees during the main Mesta area was very pleasant indeed
👍

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry about Mark's foot. If you want to have it looked at, take another rest day and try to get it looked at Monday before heading off as Leon is a bigger town with more resources than the next few on the Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis a month before we were scheduled to leave for the Portuguese Coastal Camino. My physical therapist showed my husband how to give my foot a deep massage to work out the tightness, maybe you can find a YouTube video to illustrate. She also recommended a night splint, which I believe made a huge difference. I brought it with me and wore it to bed every night during our camino. Awkward for the first night or two of using it, but I swear it worked. Maybe you can find something similar in Leon, maybe a pharmacy can tell you where:
Plantar Fasciitis Night Splint: 2 Packs 2022 Upgraded Plantar Fasciitis Brace with Soft Memory Foam Pad | Ankle Brace for Plantar Fasciitis Relief Achilles Tendonitis Relief Foot Drop Heel Arch Pain Support for Women Men https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QQBFBM7/?tag=casaivar02-20

While you are there go see the Evolution Museum. Pilgrim discount if you show your passports. Mark may need to stay back and rest.

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis a month before we were scheduled to leave for the Portuguese Coastal Camino. My physical therapist showed my husband how to give my foot a deep massage to work out the tightness, maybe you can find a YouTube video to illustrate. She also recommended a night splint, which I believe made a huge difference. I brought it with me and wore it to bed every night during our camino. Awkward for the first night or two of using it, but I swear it worked. Maybe you can find something similar in Leon, maybe a pharmacy can tell you where:
Plantar Fasciitis Night Splint: 2 Packs 2022 Upgraded Plantar Fasciitis Brace with Soft Memory Foam Pad | Ankle Brace for Plantar Fasciitis Relief Achilles Tendonitis Relief Foot Drop Heel Arch Pain Support for Women Men https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QQBFBM7/?tag=casaivar02-20
My wife Kristin and I have both had plantar fasciitis on our first Camino, at ages 65 and 67. Kristin has had somewhat flat feet, mine seem in the normal range. After consultation with podiatrists, we have found that one common cause of PF is the use of arch supports that came with the shoe that are not high enough to offer much support. The pain is in the heel but the problem starts in the arch. On our six caminos since we have put arch supports into our shoes, made by Powersteps. (There are other brands.) They have fairly high rigid arch supports. After the day's walk, we wear sandals or shoes (usually shoes because we don't walk the Camino in the hot summer) by Oofos. The look like Crocs but they have a tall, soft rubber arch. We walk all around the town or city in these, very comfortable. Those are our"recovery shoes". Never had PF problems since then. (Caveat: Of course there is much variety in foot types and foot problems.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

We left our albergue in Reliegos this morning at the fine hour of 6:00am (after dropping a small metal lip balm in a large metal locker, making a very loud sound to the ears of our neighbouring sleeping pilgrims....Mark is really sorry, he didn't mean to
😖

We were very excited about getting to Leon as we are tomorrow having a rest day!

We had an amazing breakfast at the next town (Mansilla de las Mulas) and contiuned on our walk towards Leon. As the walk progressed though, Mark' left foot started to ache and by the time we had walked through the amazing thunder and lightning in Leon, Mark was literally limping (in his own admission he was close to tears). We managed to get to the hotel and his foot is now raised and iced.

The walk today was pretty good to be fair and we all (apart from Mark' foot) enjoyed the journey, the change from walking past muliple trees during the main Mesta area was very pleasant indeed
👍

If you missed it, we released our Puenta to Estella video and we have the next stage being released tomorrow:

View attachment 127401
I had bad plantar fascities

😖

👍

If you missed it, we released our Puenta to Estella video and we have the next stage being released tomorrow:

View attachment 127401
I had bad plantar fasciitis for quite a while and got instant, permanent relief through a foot massage technique. I haven't been able to find the video I originally watched years ago, but here is one that covers it along with some other stretches.
The technique that really made the difference for me, is rubbing the point the plantar ligament attaches to the heel. It's painful, but for me, it broke up the irritation and within a day I saw the last of plantar fasciitis. Every now and then I feel a hint of trouble, do the massage, and trouble goes away. This may not work for everyone, but it did wonders for me. Good luck!

Day 26...and we have walked 0 (yes zero) km today!

Unless you count the walk to the Panaderia this morning to grab coffee ☕️ and a pastry 🥐, we have walked 0 km today due to Mark's continuing foot pain. There is a lesson here to all reading this and currently on/due to be on the Camino, listen to your body.

We think that Mark is going to be good on Wednesday to walk again and we have rescheduled our stages to align with his ability to get back on the trail, as a family we will make sure that no one puts themselves at any sort of long term risk and this is what the Camino is all about! We have had so many comments/messages with advise and supportive words that it reinforces the amazing community that the Camino de Santiago attracts. Thank you all 😃.

In the meantime, we have been catching up on editing of our videos and hopefully you may have the chance to enjoy watching one or two of them as much as we have capturing our journey...

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-13 at 4.21.10 PM (1).jpeg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Day 26...and we have walked 0 (yes zero) km today!

Unless you count the walk to the Panaderia this morning to grab coffee ☕️ and a pastry 🥐, we have walked 0 km today due to Mark's continuing foot pain. There is a lesson here to all reading this and currently on/due to be on the Camino, listen to your body.

We think that Mark is going to be good on Wednesday to walk again and we have rescheduled our stages to align with his ability to get back on the trail, as a family we will make sure that no one puts themselves at any sort of long term risk and this is what the Camino is all about! We have had so many comments/messages with advise and supportive words that it reinforces the amazing community that the Camino de Santiago attracts. Thank you all 😃.

In the meantime, we have been catching up on editing of our videos and hopefully you may have the chance to enjoy watching one or two of them as much as we have capturing our journey...

View attachment 127532
I am so tempted, but I will wait till I have ticked off some more things on my day's page in my diary. Sorry about the foot problem - you are so right to stop and take a break. What's the rush. I have only seen a couple of the videos, but I have bookmarked them. Enjoy the rest - onwards and upwards from Wednesday. Have a look at a guy called The_pilgrim, you will find him on YouTube. Walking determinedly from home in Laois in Ireland to Santiago, in honour of his sister. It will surely spur you on. Well done especially to the younger members of the family! Thanks for your posts.

I am so tempted, but I will wait till I have ticked off some more things on my day's page in my diary. Sorry about the foot problem - you are so right to stop and take a break. What's the rush. I have only seen a couple of the videos, but I have bookmarked them. Enjoy the rest - onwards and upwards from Wednesday. Have a look at a guy called The_pilgrim, you will find him on YouTube. Walking determinedly from home in Laois in Ireland to Santiago, in honour of his sister. It will surely spur you on. Well done especially to the younger members of the family! Thanks for your posts.
Wow Ireland....seeking him out now. Buen Camino 😃

I just want to say, I have watched your day 3 and then maybe day 5, so will track day 4 later today. I love the natural delivery, and the easy way of 'walking along' with you. I hope you took a dip in the river at Irotz... buen camino to you all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just want to say, I have watched your day 3 and then maybe day 5, so will track day 4 later today. I love the natural delivery, and the easy way of 'walking along' with you. I hope you took a dip in the river at Irotz... buen camino to you all.
Hey...thank you, that is very kind of you to say. We have more videos lined up to be released so hopefully these will live up to the previous 😃. And yes, we dipped our feet into the river 👣

Hey...thank you, that is very kind of you to say. We have more videos lined up to be released so hopefully these will live up to the previous 😃. And yes, we dipped our feet into the river 👣
I am glad you learned that valuable lesson about listening to your body. When I walk I always choose if need be to walk a few kilometers less than my comfortable distance rather than a few more. Whenever I feel pain I will walk for just a few minutes. If the pain does not subside I stop, take off my pack, rest a while, massage myself, stretch and then start again. I have had illnesses but I have never had to stop because of physical injuries following my own personal guidance. I am lucky that i have only had about 5 or six blisters over about 6,000k of walking. When I do get a blister I attend to them early and often. I believe in the popping the water method. Clean the blister, put some neosporin and gauze, and check it every hour or so. A little more water to be popped I do it. If I get a blister I stop early shower, dry, attend to my blister and let it air out the rest of the day and night.

Day 27....and it looks like we are hitting the road tomorrow!

We are all very excited to be heading back on the trail tomorrow morning. Marks foot is so much better after the rest and with the gel insoles he feels like he is ready for anything.

So at around 06:00am tomorrow morning (to beat the heat we heard it is going to be a hot one!) we are going to be heading out of Leon and towards Villadangos del Paramo. If you are around, make sure to say hi.

So here is to tomorrow...buen camino all

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-14 at 6.35.54 PM.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 27 - Mark is back on the trail...

To say that we were nervous about Mark being able to complete todays stage was an understatement! As a family we were all concerned that this might be it, Camino OVER! However, great news, we got to Villadongos with minimal drama.

We left our amazing AirBNB this morning in Leon at around 06:00am (beautiful tine of the day!) and headed out towards Villadongos. The heat was already rising as we left Leon, we grabbed a Coffee and seton our way. Mark's foot held out well, we had chats with various pilgrims along the way and reached Villadongos in time for lunch.

This is when the debate kicked in....there were no bookable rooms for the four of us in Villadongos so we booked into Hospital de Orbigo...do we walk in 30c+ heat with the kids and Mark's foot or do we catch a bus. After much debate (we really did not want to do any of then Camino on wheels...personal choices not criticising anyone else) we jumped on a bus to our Aulbergue. We are settled, pilgrims dinner ready to be eaten and getting ready for tomorrows stage.

So that is Day 27 completed, all safe and well! Hope that all other pilgrims are keeping safe in this heat?

Watching your videos from Paris until.

Really like them.

Nice mix of sights, transport, and lodging.

Good on you to jumpstart your bucket list.

Buen camino to your family.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm watching them, too. My favourite moment was after the interaction with the grumpy donativo fellow who had been ignored by a passing pilgrim who had just stopped for a stamp. The thought about how easy it is when you are hot and sore to just put your head down and think only about getting to your destination as quickly as possible. And how that is just the sort of mindset that fills our daily work life and we come to the Camino to escape. I thought there was a real insight there.

Glad you are settled in Hospital. Neat town. When we were there one year there was a jousting tournament going on. I think being in a suit of armor there today might be more like an oven though!

Don't know what your next few stages look like but after Astorga in El Gonzo there is a nice albergue El Gabino and there are also three studio apartments there with kitchens that are next to a small store. A little pricey, but worth checking out if you don't want to walk all the way to Rabanal or Foncebadon. We have stayed in the apartments once and my husband stayed in the albergue last fall and was the only one in his dorm.

Because they are between stages, they are not always so crowded. The apartments are really nice and you might need to book those (a little pricey as I recall). I don't see the apartments on Gronze or booking, but you may be able to call or WhatsApp. 34 660 912 823 The owner used to be a German pilgrim (not sure if that is the current owner) and his parents owned the little store and apartments.

Also as you are coming up to Rabanal and Foncebadon, you may encounter more tourists since Cruz de Fero is at the top of that climb. I encourage you to try to book ahead in Foncebadon at https://www.eltrasgudefoncebadon.com/index.php/en/home/
They do have family sized rooms with private baths. We stayed there in 2016. Phil had a hard time getting a bed in Foncebadon last fall (many tour buses, etc.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You have a couple of tough stages ahead of you if you need to depend on public transport again. I wish you well.

I'm watching them, too. My favourite moment was after the interaction with the grumpy donativo fellow who had been ignored by a passing pilgrim who had just stopped for a stamp. The thought about how easy it is when you are hot and sore to just put your head down and think only about getting to your destination as quickly as possible. And how that is just the sort of mindset that fills our daily work life and we come to the Camino to escape. I thought there was a real insight there.
Everyday is a learning day on the Camino 😃

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't know what your next few stages look like but after Astorga in El Gonzo there is a nice albergue El Gabino and there are also three studio apartments there with kitchens that are next to a small store. A little pricey, but worth checking out if you don't want to walk all the way to Rabanal or Foncebadon. We have stayed in the apartments once and my husband stayed in the albergue last fall and was the only one in his dorm.

Because they are between stages, they are not always so crowded. The apartments are really nice and you might need to book those (a little pricey as I recall). I don't see the apartments on Gronze or booking, but you may be able to call or WhatsApp. 34 660 912 823 The owner used to be a German pilgrim (not sure if that is the current owner) and his parents owned the little store and apartments.

Also as you are coming up to Rabanal and Foncebadon, you may encounter more tourists since Cruz de Fero is at the top of that climb. I encourage you to try to book ahead in Foncebadon at https://www.eltrasgudefoncebadon.com/index.php/en/home/
They do have family sized rooms with private baths. We stayed there in 2016. Phil had a hard time getting a bed in Foncebadon last fall (many tour buses, etc.)
Thank you both...very useful 👍

Day 28 - As Glenn Frey famously sang 'the heat is on' (younger than 45, google him 🤣)!

A slightly later start to the day today, alarm went off at 05:30am, we got out of the door at about 06:45am....it was following a hot night that we felt a little sluggish this morning. Anyway, we got to our first town of the morning Villares de Orbigo and had an amazing coffee and toasted croissant with jam (little pleasures 😋). We met a Dad and Son from Ireland, had a little natter then went on our way.

We then hit town no 2 just a couple of km down the road, Santibanez de Valdeiglesia, and had coffee and crossiant no 2 of the day 😋 and have a great chat with a couple from Kuala Lumpa. Sometimes it just needs to be done!

The day ended well in Astorga (if you have not reached here yet, you are in for a lovely surprise...this place is lush!) and we are getting ourselves ready for tomorrows walk to Rabanal del Camino.

Mark's foot is doing OK, a little limping but managing well 👣.

As a random side note, we have been featured in this weeks Jack's Flight Club Travel Community newsletter 😃..thank you Jack and team:-

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-16 at 4.22.00 PM.jpeg

Day 30 - We loved Astorga!...

So we arrived in Astorga yesterday afternoon and after having a look around we fell in love with the place! Such a beautiful town and if you are on route towards Astorga you will not be disappointed - it is worth the uphill last bit of the walk.

However, Day 30 is here and we left this town at around 06:15am this morning a) on the search for our morning coffee and b) heading towards Rabanal del Camino. It has been humid today on the Camino (if you are walking it today you will not need reminding of the humidity experienced on certain parts 🥵). We arrived in our Alburge just after lunchtime and it is amazing, so if you are stopping at Rabanal del Camino and need somewhere to stay, give Albergue La Senda a try 👍.

So Mark is off for a 90 min massage to try and get on top of his foot pain whilst I go off and edit the next YT video. If you have not subscribed yet, head on over and have a look...

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-17 at 4.19.40 PM.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Day 30 - We loved Astorga!...

So we arrived in Astorga yesterday afternoon and after having a look around we fell in love with the place! Such a beautiful town and if you are on route towards Astorga you will not be disappointed - it is worth the uphill last bit of the walk.

However, Day 30 is here and we left this town at around 06:15am this morning a) on the search for our morning coffee and b) heading towards Rabanal del Camino. It has been humid today on the Camino (if you are walking it today you will not need reminding of the humidity experienced on certain parts 🥵). We arrived in our Alburge just after lunchtime and it is amazing, so if you are stopping at Rabanal del Camino and need somewhere to stay, give Albergue La Senda a try 👍.

So Mark is off for a 90 min massage to try and get on top of his foot pain whilst I go off and edit the next YT video. If you have not subscribed yet, head on over and have a look...

View attachment 127781
Hi Mark and family, glad to see you are back walking. All the best and hope Mark's feet keep getting better - Pat and Steve, the Aussies

Day 31 - Not another b****y slope down...

OK, so we know the old saying 'what goes up must come down', however, there are only so many lose stone downwards slopes that one sane person can take in a day (in 30c+ heat) 🤣. We left Rabanal del Camino this morning at around 06:15 and started making our way to Molinaseca.

Everything started out so well, heading up into the mountains with beautiful views and a cool breeze chasing our tail. By 10:00am we were starting to come down our first lose stone downhill...our old ankles (kids were good) did not hold up well and there was a lot of swearing (we did not film a lot of this today as there would have been a lot of 'bleeps' used in the clips 🤬).
Anyway, we made it to Molinaseca and boy was it worth the journey. A most beautiful town with a really lively vibe and a river that has been developed into swimming area! What a treat for our feet! We are all now getting our bags packed ready for tomorrows 06:00am start, praying for the temperature to drop so we get a decent night sleep and raising our feet to reduce ankle sizes!

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 7.43.22 PM.jpeg

I love that descent! First time I did it the sun was burning off the morning dew and it was like walking through a herb garden. The only thing I've experienced like it was in Provence.

Back in 2013 I did it with a friend, Jo-Jo, who had a bad back and needed to take things slowly.

While taking photos at the Casa Josephina we'd seen a mini-bus load of French ladies de-bus after having lunch but thought no more of it. Having reached Molinaseca we paused to enjoy the view and one of the French ladies came puffing down.

Now she was immaculately dressed in spotless black trousers, white blouse and carried a little Chanel "gym-bag" (I kid you not) and the following ensued:

Oh, she exclaimed, that had been so hard!
Where had she come from? Astorga.
You've walked all the way from Astorga? In this heat?
Bah! No, they had had lunch and had walked all the way from Riego.
I pointed to my friend and explained that she, in spite of her bad back (she'd almost called off the trip) she had carried her own pack all the way from Rabanal.
Impossible was the response - you could not possible do such a thing.

We shrugged and walked down to the bridge where a young German couple were waiting for us.
We told them the story and as the French ladies approached the German woman asked if she might take a photo? She wanted to to show folks back home what a Touragrino looked like.

It was not a high point in Franco-German relations but I do love that descent!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I love that descent! First time I did it the sun was burning off the morning dew and it was like walking through a herb garden. The only thing I've experienced like it was in Provence.

Back in 2013 I did it with a friend, Jo-Jo, who had a bad back and needed to take things slowly.

While taking photos at the Casa Josephina we'd seen a mini-bus load of French ladies de-bus after having lunch but thought no more of it. Having reached Molinaseca we paused to enjoy the view and one of the French ladies came puffing down.

Now she was immaculately dressed in spotless black trousers, white blouse and carried a little Chanel "gym-bag" (I kid you not) and the following ensued:

Oh, she exclaimed, that had been so hard!
Where had she come from? Astorga.
You've walked all the way from Astorga? In this heat?
Bah! No, they had had lunch and had walked all the way from Riego.
I pointed to my friend and explained that she, in spite of her bad back (she'd almost called off the trip) she had carried her own pack all the way from Rabanal.
Impossible was the response - you could not possible do such a thing.

We shrugged and walked down to the bridge where a young German couple were waiting for us.
We told them the story and as the French ladies approached the German woman asked if she might take a photo? She wanted to to show folks back home what a Touragrino looked like.

It was not a high point in Franco-German relations but I do love that descent!
Lol...love that story! The story our kids have is one of laughing at us trying not to swear (failing miserably...before anyone comments, I know...bad parenting 😞) whilst we bumble our way down...one that we will all remember and cherish! 😃

Lol...love that story! The story our kids have is one of laughing at us trying not to swear (failing miserably...before anyone comments, I know...bad parenting 😞) whilst we bumble our way down...one that we will all remember and cherish! 😃
An Irish friend, a retired doctor and as innocent as a new born lamb, recommends swearing in a foreign language (Google translate might help here) and I learnt a few words in Swahili when she fell off the Mourne Wall (no bones broken).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked Napoleon route.

Both paths to O’ Cebreiro.

However, descent from Rabanal has always been my toughest day. Beautiful yes. But difficult especially in the heat.

I found this part of the camino particularly challenging last week, especially in in the heat. However, as I was approaching Molinaseca, a noise behind me made me turn around, to see two bicigrinos, carrying their bikes!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’ve known more people who ended their Camino with injuries in that section than any other on the Camino. For some reason I don’t remember the rocks being as bad years ago. I think possibly they dumped those square cut rocks on the path. The path down into Molinaseca is tough in a different way. That is where I saw a bicycle try to come down and slide into two pilgrims.
I agree Molinaseca is a charming town… I love to dip in the water on a hot day.

I really do love uphills! For example, Saint-Jean to Roncesvalles in about 5h30 at an age that would see a little change from the combined age of the @everyday.journeys team.

But I will pass on downhills, especially those like that down to Molineseca. If I were to do that section I would walk the road just to avoid the probable injury from sliding and falling on the loose rubble of the path.

I managed to avoid the hill altogether by almost fainting on arrival at Astorga. I had walked from Hospital de Orbigo on an empty stomach, having had a severe two day bout of Delhi Belly (apologies to India) on arrival at Leon. Discretion being the better part of valour, I took the 1 pm bus the next day to Ponferrada.

Describing the journey through the valley, my notes for that day: "I find this trip quite exhiliarating".

For me, better the shame of a bus trip than explain a possible rubble damaged body.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

€83,-
I really do love uphills! For example, Saint-Jean to Roncesvalles in about 5h30 at an age that would see a little change from the combined age of the @everyday.journeys team.

But I will pass on downhills, especially those like that down to Molineseca. If I were to do that section I would walk the road just to avoid the probable injury from sliding and falling on the loose rubble of the path.

I managed to avoid the hill altogether by almost fainting on arrival at Astorga. I had walked from Hospital de Orbigo on an empty stomach, having had a severe two day bout of Delhi Belly (apologies to India) on arrival at Leon. Discretion being the better part of valour, I took the 1 pm bus the next day to Ponferrada.

Describing the journey through the valley, my notes for that day: "I find this trip quite exhiliarating".

For me, better the shame of a bus trip than explain a possible rubble damaged body.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)
We have also done a short bus ride...no judgements here 👍.

I’ve known more people who ended their Camino with injuries in that section than any other on the Camino. For some reason I don’t remember the rocks being as bad years ago. I think possibly they dumped those square cut rocks on the path. The path down into Molinaseca is tough in a different way. That is where I saw a bicycle try to come down and slide into two pilgrims.
I agree Molinaseca is a charming town… I love to dip in the water on a hot day.
We have spoken to quite a few people today that have just finished that trek down into Molinaseca (younger than us) and they have all said how rough it was and that a few expletives where shared outwardly 🤣

I found this part of the camino particularly challenging last week, especially in in the heat. However, as I was approaching Molinaseca, a noise behind me made me turn around, to see two bicigronos, carrying their bikes!
Phew....carrying bikes down those slopes! 😝

Day 32 - Happy Fathers Day on the Camino...

Well that was a better day than recently experienced (say no more about the descent into Molinaseca
🤬
)!
We move on and celebrate Fathers Day today with Mark. This is the day that children generally lavish gifts and love on their Fathers as a sign of gratitude for all they do for them throughout the year...today was slightly different.

Today was about getting Dad around the 30km trail with a dodgy ankle and a bruised toe (Mark is adamant he is going to the lose the nail and is slightly freaked out by the prospect!
😱
)...however, we survived the journey along with many other pilgrims and arrived safely at Villafranca around 4:30pm this afternoon. It was a cooler day, slower paced and some great food and beverages along the way.

Here is our little picture from today...hope you enjoy, and cheers to all the Dads out there!

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-19 at 9.01.56 PM.jpeg

€60,-
Day 33 - Where has the sun ☀️ gone?....

So we got ourselves out of bed at 05:30 this morning, got dressed, teeth cleaned and then I popped my head out of the window 'just to check the weather and things' and then shouted at everyone to 'PUT WARM CLOTHES ON'! The heatwave (thankfully for those affected by the fires in North Spain at the moment) has certainly moved on to another part of the world. It was freezing.

We left Villafranca del Bierzo heading towards Laguna de Castilla with some trepidation following the stories we have heard of 'this is a really hard walk, up that hill 🏔at the end...phew!'. So we started our walk and stopped at nearly every cafe that we could find just to put off walking 'the hill'!

Shortly after lunch, we found ourselves at the base of 'the hill' eating fried potatoes and saying 'we are just going to have to get on and do this'. And so we did....

And yes it was a beast of a hill, however, the views were amazing...the uphill stretched Marks calf and he was practically skipping his way up and at the end of it and when we arrived we checked into the most amazing Albergue (https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/laguna-castilla/albergue-escuela). This day turned out to be AMAZING! We loved every second. Anyway, off to bed now as we have a 2km climb in the morning and then it is a downhill trend (booo!) to our next stop. Buen Camino all 👣

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-20 at 7.39.02 PM.jpeg

Day 34 - What an albergue and what a view...

What a fantastic welcome we received at La Escula (https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/leon/laguna-castilla/albergue-escuela) last night...if you are looking to stop at La Laguna we would highly recommend! We had a fantastic room, so clean, real under-sheets and pillow covers and they had laundry service on site. To top it all, just before heading to bed the owner grabbed me and Mark and insisted on us trying his home made cherry liquor..how could we say no 😋.

So we left here at 06:40 this morning, yes a lie in, and we headed our way to Triacastela. The views up there were just phenomenal at that time of the morning and we are so privileged to have witnessed them. We did pay a visit to O'Cebreiro....just beautiful, if you not stayed/past there yet, you have something special coming up!
We passed into Galicia and stopped off a couple of times to get breakfast and coffee!

We were all a little nervous of the decent into Triacastela, however, we actually found it to be not too bad...we all survived it. We arrived at around 14:30 this afternoon following a wine light lunch in Fillobal 🍷 .

We did find a slight change to the feel of the Camino today and it was the addition of some new Pilgrims joining the trail..we didnt expect to see anyone until Sarria, however, it was great to see some fresh faced Pilgrims bouncing down the trail today! It certainly gave us a lift🚶‍♂️.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-21 at 4.35.49 PM.jpeg

We also loved that albergue and it was the first place where we saw the cows brought home through the street by a little grandmother and her grandson.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm continuing to enjoy your videos! I totally understand the elation, in the final week, of the impending finale and the pride in your accomplishment, contrasted with the sadness that this Camino will soon be over. You deserve a special award for being able to regularly get two teenagers out of bed at 6:30 and on the road at 7:00-ish. No small feat, that! I look forward to your final installments as the prelude to my departure from SJPP in three weeks on my second CF. Cheers.

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back