• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking the Bus to Pamplona

Steve Hackman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015, 2017)
Muxia & Fisterra (2015)
Via Francigena (2018)
Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi all,

Has anyone took the bus from Madrid airport T4 to Pamplona? I thought that might be easier then going into town to catch the train. Besides, there seems to be a bus that leaves from T4 at 10:45 AM (We arrive in Madrid at 9:40 AM) which looks pretty convenient.

Was just wondering train vs. bus. Train is faster but looking at the bus schedule I would still get to Pamplona sooner by bus. Any thoughts from the experienced?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I did last June when I walked the Camino. Made my reservations in advance online and printed my boarding pass. Arrived at the Madrid airport, stepped out the terminal and onto the bus. It was pretty easy. You do make one stop and bus change on the way to Madrid, in a town called Soria.

I did last June when I walked the Camino. Made my reservations in advance online and printed my boarding pass. Arrived at the Madrid airport, stepped out the terminal and onto the bus. It was pretty easy. You do make one stop and bus change on the way to Madrid, in a town called Soria.
Thanks Mark, I appreciate that!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No problem. I took my backpack as a carry-on, so I was able to skip baggage claim. Not sure how much that will slow you down after arrival if you check in any bags.
Here is the Alsa website:
http://www.alsa.es/en/
My wife was just asking me if I would be checking my pack or not. (I'm doing the Camino with my 17 year old son) We're coming from Hong Kong via Heathrow so it would be convenient to check but to make that bus it would probably be better to just bring as carry on provided they allowed it

My wife was just asking me if I would be checking my pack or not. (I'm doing the Camino with my 17 year old son) We're coming from Hong Kong via Heathrow so it would be convenient to check but to make that bus it would probably be better to just bring as carry on provided they allowed it
I was able to bring my 48L pack as a carry-on. It was far from full, though and I carried no liquids, pocketknives, etc in it. You can buy any shampoo, soap, toothpaste etc in SJPdP or Pamplona. I also had a very small, cheap lightweight pack with me in the event they wanted me to check-in the big pack I could put my tablet, camera, etc in it, but the need never arose, but the small pack came in handy later on when wandering around towns on the Camino after putting up my big pack in the albergue.
I'd definitely try to carry-on the packs if you can.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Its probably a good idea to have a plan B should you not make the connection to the bus. 1:05 is tight for timings even if you do shave off seconds by not checking your bag.

The bus to Pamplona originates from Madrid Intercambiador de Avenida de America, which is connected to the airport by Metro. Some but not all buses stop at airport T4.

Its probably a good idea to have a plan B should you not make the connection to the bus. 1:05 is tight for timings even if you do shave off seconds by not checking your bag.

The bus to Pamplona originates from Madrid Intercambiador de Avenida de America, which is connected to the airport by Metro. Some but not all buses stop at airport T4.
Do you, or anyone else, know if we missed our bus because of a delay whether we forfeit our tickets entirely, or whether we could get on the next bus?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I suppose you could just wait until you arrive to buy your bus tickets in the event it takes longer than expected to get through passport control, baggage, etc. The Alsa ticket counter is inside the terminal near the exit where you catch your bus. I think there is another bus to Pamplona at around 3:00 pm and you arrive in Pamplona around 8:00 pm. Worse things in life to do than spend a night in Pamplona, ha ha.
When I was there in June there was not a lot of people getting bus tickets to Pamplona. I could have actually waited until I got there to buy my ticket instead of getting the bus ticket in advance. I would not think April would be that much busier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve ,
I have taken the bus many times and I think it is the least fuss. By the time one gets into central Madrid many hours have been wasted and whats more , the train station in Pamplona is a lot further away from the 'Hub' than the bus station - the bus is also considerably cheaper - only problem is it can be full on occasions so I would try to book.
Also , chances are that you will not make the 10h45 bus - take the next one. Google Spain's public holidays in April to see if you are traveling on a public holiday which may make a difference to times and travel.
ENJOY!!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Cercanias train goes from T4 to Chamartin and Puerto Atocha (the Renfe stations) every half hour. 12 minutes from T4 to Chamartin and 26 minutes from T4 to Puerto Atocha.

Its about an hour from T4 to Puerto Atocha by Metro. The express bus takes 45 minutes.

Hi Steve ,
I have taken the bus many times and I think it is the least fuss. By the time one gets into central Madrid many hours have been wasted and whats more , the train station in Pamplona is a lot futher away from the 'Hub' than the bus station - the bus is also considerably cheaper - only problem is it can be full on occasions so I would try to book.
Also , chances are that you will not make the 10h45 bus - take the next one. Google Spain's public holidays in April to see if you are traveling on a public holiday which may make a difference to times and travel.
ENJOY!!
Thanks Renshaw...I think with the advice I've got here we'll probably take the later bus to Pamplona, spend the night there, and then head to SJPDP the next day. We'll end up starting on the 3rd of April rather than the 2nd but as we're coming from Hong Kong, a little breather may be worth it.

This gives you a few more minutes than does the bus ... ( a whole 13 minutes!)

1058 Cercanias T4 to Atocha arrive 1124
1135 Alvia Madrid Atocha to Pamplona arrive 1440

My understanding is the requirement of 15 minutes for security checks is for Ave trains ... not Alvia trains.

My understanding is you can purchase the ticket to Pamplona at T4 and the Cercanias is included.

If you are travelling in June the last bus goes from Pamplona to SJPdP at 1800. Else you wait till 143o the next day ... (based on the Conda bus schedule during the past two years)

Madrid Atocha guide
http://www.madrid-guide-spain.com/atocha.html

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your plane is late or there are labor sanctions at the airport, or the customs/police check takes longer then usual endless possibilities to miss that bus. Ask your travel agent to check the price flying Iberia, Home-Madrid-Pamplona then flying Santiago-Madrid-Home you may have find a price close enough to consider since it is a continuing flight and not two separate tickets and therefore cheaper.

Your plane is late or there are labor sanctions at the airport, or the customs/police check takes longer then usual endless possibilities to miss that bus. Ask your travel agent to check the price flying Iberia, Home-Madrid-Pamplona then flying Santiago-Madrid-Home you may have find a price close enough to consider since it is a continuing flight and not two separate tickets and therefore cheaper.
Thanks Scruffy1, My tickets to Madrid were bought back in August at a very reasonable price. Now like a lot of people, just trying to figure out a route to SJPDP that mixes economical (I'm traveling with my son so everything is x2) with efficiency.
I just wished there was a bus to Pamplona that was between the 10:45 AM and the 15:15 PM. May have to look at going into town and catching the Renfe train

.................we'll probably take the later bus to Pamplona, spend the night there, and then head to SJPDP the next day. We'll end up starting on the 3rd of April rather than the 2nd .....................
The 2nd , 3rd and 6th are public holidays so I think you are going to just have to 'Busk it' to get all the way to SJPDP. You need to do a little more research. If things start to look too complicated , perhaps you can consider a Pamplona start. I can tell you that the Easter weekend in Pamplona , Puenta La Reina and Estella will be spectacular!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

1058 Cercanias T4 to Atocha arrive 1124
1135 Alvia Madrid Atocha to Pamplona arrive 1440

My understanding is the requirement of 15 minutes for security checks is for Ave trains ... not Alvia trains.

My understanding is you can purchase the ticket to Pamplona at T4 and the Cercanias is included.

If you are travelling in June the last bus goes from Pamplona to SJPdP at 1800. Else you wait till 143o the next day ... (based on the Conda bus schedule during the past two years)

Madrid Atocha guide
So the Cercanias is different than the underground Metro? Seems the underground would take about 45 minutes whereas this line will take about 26?

The 2nd , 3rd and 6th are public holidays so I think you are going to just have to 'Busk it' to get all the way to SJPDP. You need to do a little more research. If things start to look too complicated , perhaps you can consider a Pamplona start. I can tell you that the Easter weekend in Pamplona , Puenta La Reina and Estella will be spectacular!
I'm looking at the possibility of staying at Corazon Puro after we arrive in Pamplona and then taking up their option to go to SJPDP in the morning

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Madrid Atocha guide
I travelled on the Alvia train from Atocha to Granada and as it was using the same platform as the AVE trains we still had to go through the same security gates. But from memory this took about 15 minutes - depends upon how many security staff on duty. I will be flying into Madrid next year and then on to Pamplona so am following this thread. Has some good info. Thanks.
Cheers

Thanks Scruffy1, My tickets to Madrid were bought back in August at a very reasonable price. Now like a lot of people, just trying to figure out a route to SJPDP that mixes economical (I'm traveling with my son so everything is x2) with efficiency.
I just wished there was a bus to Pamplona that was between the 10:45 AM and the 15:15 PM. May have to look at going into town and catching the Renfe train

There are buses every hour from the bus station at Avenida de America to Pamplona. They don't all stop at the airport. See ALSA for Schedules.

2011 Madrid Airport to bus station Avenida de America

Intercambiador de Avenida de America (Madrid) is co-located with the Metro. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Colombia; and, line 9 to Avenida de America.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm looking at the possibility of staying at Corazon Puro after we arrive in Pamplona and then taking up their option to go to SJPDP in the morning
That's what I did last June. Extremely easy way to get to SJPdP, and really not much difference in cost than getting to Pamplona, getting a hotel for the night and then a bus in the morning. After feeding me supper and breakfast, they dropped me off within sight of the pilgrim's office in the morning. Very gracious hosts as well.

Exactly what we did in August 2013, except we didn't bother with reservations. I forget the time of our flight arrival, but I'm pretty sure we took the 10:45 or so bus from T4. We had time to get through passport control, pick up our small checked box (mainly our trekking poles, liquids, and Swiss army knife), and catch the on-airport shuttle to T4. We purchased the bus tickets from a kiosk at the curbside. I don't remember if we used a credit card or cash, so be sure to have some Euros in your pocket in case you need cash. Take some snacks to eat on the bus because the stop in Soria is only 5 or 10 minutes -- not enough time to get food there. Upon arrival at the bus station in Pamplona, we purchased tickets for the 2:00pm next day bus to SJPP, and spent the night in a small hotel on the Rue Comedia near the big square in Pamplona to mitigate jet lag. The bus from Pamplona to SJPP took less than 2 hours. Corazon Pura would have been a better plan from Pamplona to SJPP had we known about it at the time.

I highly recommend that you use Istvan at http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html . You will need to book with them in advance. It removes a lot of stress and planning, and will probably be the cheapest, all things considered (pickup in Pamplona, dinner, beds in double room, breakfast, transport to SJpdP next morning, all for 43 Euros/person). I highly recommend their services, having used them myself. Wife Barbara is a good cook and an adorable person/hostess, as is Istvan. It is like being invited into a Spanish house, not a hotel/albergue. A great prelude to your Camino start.

You will arrive in SJpdP early in the morning, so you can get your credentials there and simply start walking. No need to spend overnight there if you do not explicitly want to. All in all, you will save money, much hassle, and time on that deal, IMHO.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I highly recommend that you use Istvan at http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html . You will need to book with them in advance. It removes a lot of stress and planning, and will probably be the cheapest, all things considered (pickup in Pamplona, dinner, beds in double room, breakfast, transport to SJpdP next morning, all for 43 Euros/person). I highly recommend their services, having used them myself. Wife Barbara is a good cook and an adorable person/hostess, as is Istvan. It is like being invited into a Spanish house, not a hotel/albergue. A great prelude to your Camino start.

You will arrive in SJpdP early in the morning, so you can get your credentials there and simply start walking. No need to spend overnight there if you do not explicitly want to. All in all, you will save money, much hassle, and time on that deal, IMHO.

Thanks Alex, I was wondering if we stayed at corazonpuro whether after breakfast, the ride to SJPdP, and checking in at the Pilgrims office, meant it would be better to stay a night more in SJPdP to get a healthy start to reaching Roncesvalles the first day. What time does the Pilgrims office open?

Steve, I am not sure if Istvan and Barbara are present in winter: Istvan told me they would be visiting relatives at home in Hungary. I believe they open around mid-March. But by all means: Shoot them an email from their contact/booking page.

Edit:

Thanks Alex, I was wondering if we stayed at corazonpuro whether after breakfast, the ride to SJPdP, and checking in at the Pilgrims office, meant it would be better to stay a night more in SJPdP to get a healthy start to reaching Roncesvalles the first day. What time does the Pilgrims office open?
It opens early. But as I am an old man (almost 61) I would book a stay at Orrison, 8 kms very steep climb away, and use the next day to reach Roncesvalles. It is a very tough walk/climb, and one can easily ruin one's feet on that very first day by trying to get to Roncesvalles in one jump...

Last edited:
Exactly what we did in August 2013, except we didn't bother with reservations. I forget the time of our flight arrival, but I'm pretty sure we took the 10:45 or so bus from T4. We had time to get through passport control, pick up our small checked box (mainly our trekking poles, liquids, and Swiss army knife), and catch the on-airport shuttle to T4. We purchased the bus tickets from a kiosk at the curbside. I don't remember if we used a credit card or cash, so be sure to have some Euros in your pocket in case you need cash. Take some snacks to eat on the bus because the stop in Soria is only 5 or 10 minutes -- not enough time to get food there. Upon arrival at the bus station in Pamplona, we purchased tickets for the 2:00pm next day bus to SJPP, and spent the night in a small hotel on the Rue Comedia near the big square in Pamplona to mitigate jet lag. The bus from Pamplona to SJPP took less than 2 hours. Corazon Pura would have been a better plan from Pamplona to SJPP had we known about it at the time.
Its tempting to just buy my ticket for the bus that day so if we make the 10:45 we can just go. However I'm nervous about it being Easter weekend and holiday the next day. My 17 year old son would prefer he says to buy tickets in advance for the 15:15 and not stress if there is a delay. We could maybe take the underground into the city for lunch to eat up a few hours

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Steve, I am not sure if Istvan and Barbara are present in winter: Istvan told me they would be visiting relatives at home in Hungary. I believe they open around mid-March. But by all means: Shoot them an email from their contact/booking page.
Thats good to know Alex...I sent them an e-mail a few hours ago and haven't heard from them. It is the holidays and people are travelling. I think we are pretty sold on this plan provided they have a place for two on April 1 :)

Thats good to know Alex...I sent them an e-mail a few hours ago and haven't heard from them. It is the holidays and people are travelling. I think we are pretty sold on this plan provided they have a place for two on April 1 :)
It is a good plan, Steve. If you do not get an answer (which would be strange) just keep on it.

I must tell you a story: Istvan and Barbara are not so much into it for the money: They truly want to help pilgrims, being experienced pilgrims themselves. Good people. And as such, they sometimes keep booking low, just to preserve peace in the house :). They do not stress a full house just for profit. You will have a good experience there. Remember to keep relaxed on your Camino and appreciate and enjoy the new people encountered into your life.

It is a good plan, Steve. If you do not get an answer (which would be strange) just keep on it.

I must tell you a story: Istvan and Barbara are not so much into it for the money: They truly want to help pilgrims, being experienced pilgrims themselves. Good people. And as such, they sometimes keep booking low, just to preserve peace in the house :). They do not stress a full house just for profit. You will have a good experience there. Remember to keep relaxed on your Camino and appreciate and enjoy the new people encountered into your life.
Wonderful to hear Alex...In 2012 my son and I did the 300 Km Coast to Coast in north England and we said if that was a success we would plan the Camino. It was, and we are. What we enjoyed most on that trip (besides the breathtaking beauty) was the wonderful people we met and shared experience with along the way. Already this forum has that same spirit and I look forward to meeting people like the ones I have seen on this thread already. I feel it will be a very "Buen Camino"

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

BTW, if we are able to stay with Istvan and Barbara, what time do you think we'd probably be able to set off from SJPdP figuring we must also get sorted at the Pilgrim's office?

BTW, if we are able to stay with Istvan and Barbara, what time do you think we'd probably be able to set off from SJPdP figuring we must also get sorted at the Pilgrim's office?
9-9.30 AM, if my memory serves me well. As an old man, I doubt it.;) But Istvan will know :) They serve early breakfast, and then straight off to SJpdP, approximately a 50 mins. drive by car.

There will be no problems walking to Orrison, and if you really are fit to go to Roncesvalles in one go, you will be there in the afternoon, let's say 4-5-6 PM. And the albergue in Roncesvalles is huge so no problems with beds. For Orrison, you must reserve in (good) advance.

Last edited:
When I stayed the night at Corazon Puro it was just me, and two other American ladies from Texas staying there. After an early breakfast Istvan drove us to SJPdP and we arrived there by around 9:00 am I think. We went straight to the pilgrim's office, which was open. The ladies started their Camino that morning and walked straight out of town. I opted to hang-out there, and spent the night at the municipal albergue and started my Camino the next morning. Really just a matter of preference. Leaving at 9:00 am is a later than usual start, but will still get you to Roncesvalles before say around 4:00-5:00 pm, but that is a long day. The ladies were only going to Orrison, which is only about a 10 kilometer walk (2-4 hour walk). If you are only going to Orrison I imagine you could still hang around SJPdP a couple of hours, sight-see and then start your walk. It really is a cool little French/Basque town.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mark,
You have very good points. It is well worth it to relax a day in SJpdP: Lovely village. But then again: It is hard to stop a pilgrim who wants to walk :) And there is a cost element into it as well. Personally, I enjoyed my overnight stasy in SJpdP, as you suggest to do. But next time, I will shoot out of there in the morning after getting my credential, and start serious walking business :)

Edit:

The problem with the strech from SJpdP to Roncesvalles is that the first half is only steep uphill: It is tough, and a stay at Orrison is a good idea, not least to protect your feet at the very start of your Camino. This is probably the toughest leg of the whole Camino. But then again, if your self-confidence is good and you feel for it, take the challenge.

Last edited:
When I stayed the night at Corazon Puro it was just me, and two other American ladies from Texas staying there. After an early breakfast Istvan drove us to SJPdP and we arrived there by around 9:00 am I think. We went straight to the pilgrim's office, which was open. The ladies started their Camino that morning and walked straight out of town. I opted to hang-out there, and spent the night at the municipal albergue and started my Camino the next morning. Really just a matter of preference. Leaving at 9:00 am is a later than usual start, but will still get you to Roncesvalles before say around 4:00-5:00 pm, but that is a long day. The ladies were only going to Orrison, which is only about a 10 kilometer walk (2-4 hour walk). If you are only going to Orrison I imagine you could still hang around SJPdP a couple of hours, sight-see and then start your walk. It really is a cool little French/Basque town.
Thanks Mark, I think we are undecided at this point. We are flying from Hong Kong so the idea of arriving in St. Jean and "chillin" for the day sounds tempting. But I'm also hoping to finish my Camino in Muxia and setting out when we arrive can make that a bit easier. Decisions, decisions...I may let my son make the call on this one :)

Well, to combine both worlds, I would do as follows:

Book on beforehand at Orrison, come into SJpdP in the morning, get my credential, and have a look around the village. Then walk up to Orrison in peace and calm, install myself and enjoy dinner, and set off the next day with only 17-18 kms, but in demanding terrain. Enough for this 61-years old ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Off-topic: I am closing down now: Was just requested to be host on my friend's boat tomorrow for a whale safari up here in the Arctic: Will be having lots of fun with tourists tomorrow :) So better hit the bed.

https://www.facebook.com/havcruise

If you like it, press "Like" :)

We are seeing whales every day. Mostly Orcas and Humpbacks, big as our boat. Crazy sight. And Northern Lights most evenings. Enjoy!

Mark, If I get the 15:15 bus it arrives in Pamplona at 20:15 (8:15 PM). You don't imagine this would be to late in the evening for a pick up in Pamplona by Corazon do you?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well good news I think! I looked at a couple more rail websites and just purchased two tickets on the 15:05 TRAIN for 10 euros CHEAPER than the bus :) And now we arrive in Pamplona at 18:26 rather than 20:15.

Having read all of the above, and being a friend of Alex's, I offer the following suggestions:
  • Travel to Pamplona.
  • Stay at Corazon Puro and allow them to drive you to St. Jean Pied de Port the next morning.
  • Check in at the Pilgrim Office (#39 Rue de Citadelle) and leave a donation, choose your scallop shell. This is the only place I found authentic local shells without the silkscreened Cross of St. James that all the souvenir shops sell. It does make a difference later on.
  • Spend the remainder of that day touring St. Jean Pied de Port. It is a fabulous little town. There is a lot to see. You can do all your last minute shopping there too. I would go there just as a tourist.
  • Attend the pilgrim Mass at the church in town the night before. It is an awesome experience. St. Jean Pied de Port has been outfitting and sending pilgrims off on the Camino Frances for about 1,000 years. The place just oozes history!
  • There is also another section to the town, outside the old Roman walls that surround the historic center. It is worth a walk to see. There are also other shops and services "on the flats..."
  • Finally, if you want to send a piece of luggage ahead to Santiago, contact Express Bourricot (http://www.expressbourricot.com/). Caroline will take care of you. I usually send all my newly purchased souvenirs and extra clothing down the road to Santiago to be waiting for me when I get there. Her services are very helpful.
I hope this helps.

Mark, If I get the 15:15 bus it arrives in Pamplona at 20:15 (8:15 PM). You don't imagine this would be to late in the evening for a pick up in Pamplona by Corazon do you?
Yeah, probably too late, but contact and ask. If you really think that will be the case, make reservations somewhere in Pamplona and catch the first bus to SJPdP the next day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yeah, probably too late, but contact and ask. If you really think that will be the case, make reservations somewhere in Pamplona and catch the first bus to SJPdP the next day.
I just got train tickets instead. Arriving in Pamplona at 18:26... This should be early enough I hope?

Having read all of the above, and being a friend of Alex's, I offer the following suggestions:
  • Travel to Pamplona.
  • Stay at Corazon Puro and allow them to drive you to St. Jean Pied de Port the next morning.
  • Check in at the Pilgrim Office (#39 Rue de Citadelle) and leave a donation, choose your scallop shell. This is the only place I found authentic local shells without the silkscreened Cross of St. James that all the souvenir shops sell. It does make a difference later on.
  • Spend the remainder of that day touring St. Jean Pied de Port. It is a fabulous little town. There is a lot to see. You can do all your last minute shopping there too. I would go there just as a tourist.
  • Attend the pilgrim Mass at the church in town the night before. It is an awesome experience. St. Jean Pied de Port has been outfitting and sending pilgrims off on the Camino Frances for about 1,000 years. The place just oozes history!
  • There is also another section to the town, outside the old Roman walls that surround the historic center. It is worth a walk to see. There are also other shops and services "on the flats..."
  • Finally, if you want to send a piece of luggage ahead to Santiago, contact Express Bourricot (http://www.expressbourricot.com/). Caroline will take care of you. I usually send all my newly purchased souvenirs and extra clothing down the road to Santiago to be waiting for me when I get there. Her services are very helpful.
I hope this helps.
Thanks Tom, That sounds like some really good things to consider. Appreciate the information!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Mark, my problem is I don't get in till 19.05 and the last bus from Madrid airport goes at 19.45. I don't know whether there is a chance of getting that as I am not sure where Ryan Air flights arrive -hopefully T4 - and how long it will take to get through. I will only have cabin luggage but sometimes you have to stow it. All in all maybe I am better opting for the later bus at 1 am and travelling through the night. In which case I could book in advance. Would appreciate your thoughts.
Ffion

Hi Mark, my problem is I don't get in till 19.05 and the last bus from Madrid airport goes at 19.45. I don't know whether there is a chance of getting that as I am not sure where Ryan Air flights arrive -hopefully T4 - and how long it will take to get through. I will only have cabin luggage but sometimes you have to stow it. All in all maybe I am better opting for the later bus at 1 am and travelling through the night. In which case I could book in advance. Would appreciate your thoughts.
Ffion
Yeah, 30-40 minutes to get from your plane to where the buses leave the terminal is a pretty tight schedule. Possible I suppose, but personally I wouldn't do it.
The 1:00 am bus gets you to Pamplona pretty early in the morning, 6:30, but that sets you up for catching an early bus to SJPdP if that's where you are going. Both times I rode the bus to Pamplona I caught up on my sleep during the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Ffion! Welcome to the forum!

I don't get in till 19.05

...if your flight isn't delayed.

I am not sure where Ryan Air flights arrive -hopefully T4 -

They arrive at T1 if nothing has changed. Therefore, you would need to take a free airport bus to get to T4 (10 minutes ride more or less).

All in all maybe I am better opting for the later bus at 1 am and travelling through the night.

Be aware Alsa buses from Madrid airport to Pamplona mean a change in Soria what makes a difference if you plan to sleep during the night.

You don't say where are you coming from but if you have to pass customs and immigration, don't forget it takes its time too...

Personally, I would go to downtown Madrid, stay overnight in Madrid and travel to Pamplona next day in the morning (in which case you could go directly -without changing along the route- with http://plmautocares.com).

Ffion

Your options are:

Take a flight from MAD to PNA (air Iberia 2215 - 2310)

Take the bus at 0100

Get a hotel room for the night.

Yeah, 30-40 minutes to get from your plane to where the buses leave the terminal is a pretty tight schedule. Possible I suppose, but personally I wouldn't do it.
The 1:00 am bus gets you to Pamplona pretty early in the morning, 6:30, but that sets you up for catching an early bus to SJPdP if that's where you are going. Both times I rode the bus to Pamplona I caught up on my sleep during the ride.

Thanks so much, Mark. With that in mind I have got a room near Atocha Station and a reservation for the early train to Pamplona, where I am meeting my friends. I have been looking at transport into town. Do you have an idea of the prices? Regards, Ffi

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been looking at transport into town. Do you have an idea of the prices?

I'm not Mark but prices are as follow:
  • Cercanías train (out of T4): 2.60 Euros
  • Express bus (stops at T1, T2 and T4): 5 Euros
  • Taxi: 30 Euros.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back