• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Talon 33 vs Tempest 34.... help me decide, please

HeyRobin

Time of past OR future Camino
2021 CF
2022 Madrid, Portuguese
2023 VDLP
Hey there! Last year I walked the Camino with my Mira 32 backpack by Osprey. I love the mesh back panel and side pockets but the pack seemed a little short and round for my liking. I'm now wanting to try out another backpack and am stuck between the Talon 33 and Tempest 34, in both their smallest sizes for women. Does anyone have experience with either one of these packs? I'd love to hear from you! Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey there! Last year I walked the Camino with my Mira 32 backpack by Osprey. I love the mesh back panel and side pockets but the pack seemed a little short and round for my liking. I'm now wanting to try out another backpack and am stuck between the Talon 33 and Tempest 34, in both their smallest sizes for women. Does anyone have experience with either one of these packs? I'd love to hear from you! Thanks!
Aloha!

I can't help you with either of these, as I tried them on when I was in California and decided they weren't for me, but I'll share where I ended up... Living on an island in the Pacific shopping is non-existant and I've gone through four pack order/reviews, finally settling on this fifth one:

Gregory Mountain Products Women's Maven 45 Backpacking Backpack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X8S62NF/?tag=casaivar02-20 ironically on sale which ended up being also the cheapest. I like the moving hip/shoulder suspension so it moves with you, that the main compartment has three access points, and that it was a bit lighter than Osprey, but a bit more robust than Six Moon or Mountainsmith.

I wish you luck, I found this and the shoe decision definitely the toughest.

Aloha, and Buen Camino!

How much is your base weight (without water) will you be carrying. My last two Caminos were with the talon 33, as were my wife’s. She has, what some might consider, fairly strong swimmers shoulders and she found that the talon fit her better than the tempest.

We have both come to the conclusion that if our base weight is 10 or so pounds we prefer carrying the load on our shoulders rather than hips. I think that having to cinch the waist belt down tightly to carry the weight on the hips biomechanically inhibits how the hips move naturally while walking and causes it’s own set of issues. I think this might even be worse for guys who don’t have any hips or shelf so to speak to rest the weight on.

Otherwise the tempest is a great pack in size, features and carrying comfort on the shoulders. Hip belt pockets and the one on the shoulder harness is a bit small. Some packs are now taking a design cue from the ultra runners world and putting fairly sizable stretchy mesh pockets on the shoulder harnesses. Checkout the Mountainsmith Zerk 40 and Ultimate Direction Fastpack 30 and others. I don’t have any experience with either but they have peaked my curiosity.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a Talon 33 (previous model) and have walked several 2+ week caminos with it. I also have a Tempest 30 (also previous model) so I recently tried the new Tempest 34 to check out the bucket zip opening. Basically it is easier to get into, but it also has finite space while the T33 has more flexible space. If both of these are the new model, I found that the back of the Tempest was higher than it was before and stuck up so high on me that I can feel it if I look up. In the smaller sizes there will be marginal differences in the harness and fit I guess but I agree with @Stroller; pack them both and try them on. If you can't get to a shop, order both (check you can return for free or cheap), try at home with your gear weight in them and return one or both. I found the previous model Talon and Tempest to be more comfortable but that's me.

I used the Talon 33 for various long distance treks and camino from 2015 to 2019. I had purchased the small version - so more like 30l - because it felt better than the Tempest equivalent of the time. In 2021, I purchased - old model?- Tempest 40 because it had a few features I liked and I walked part of the Le Puy route with it. I have found both packs to have met my camino needs and been comfortable. In the end, you determine what feels best and meets your personal requirements. Both are fine for the camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have used the Talon 44, my first pack, for several years and found it most comfortable.
Experience has had me gradually decreasing the weight/volume taken, and arthritis of the feet has increased the need to go Ultralight.
I'm sticking with the Talon, but the Talon 33, effectively 31litres due to choosing the small version. I'm looking for 5kilos excluding water, snacks and poles. I like the frame and using the hipbelt.
If it's still too difficult physically, I'll consider a trolley.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Hey Robin, I don't have experience with either but I was in An Outdoor Store in Ireland called Cotswolds yesterday looking at them so I can tell you what the sales rep told me.
1. The Tallon in the Male version, Tempest is the Female.
2. The Tallon doesn't have much breathability in the back and it can make your back quite sweaty.
3. There is no rain cover included with them.
4. I tried on the Tallon with a 5kg weight in it. I found it very comfy.
However I decided not to go with it as I tried on the Lowe Alpine Airzone Trek 33:43 and it has more of what I want, in particular a separate bottom compartment which the Tallon doesn't have.
As I say I haven't tried either on a hike, I think a lot of people on here use the Tallon so listen to to advice.
Good luck

I don’t have experience with either, but have you gone to a good outdoors store to be “ fitted”? This is what i did, and it worked for me ( small back also).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some folks view the Talon 33 as a ‘man’s pack’ but fit, feel, weight and pockets are my way of determining whether it works For me. I’ve used the older version Talon 33 for a few Caminos and found it great.
It is a basic so no fancy bells & whistles but this keeps the weight down. The pockets on the back, sides, straps, waist & especially the top are excellent for stowing your gear,food , etc for the day so no digging deep in your pack. The top pockets allow a place to store heavier items & keep them high on your pack for better weight distribution. There is not a lot of padding on either the straps or the waist belt but I wasn’t bothered by it. Acess to the waist band pockets is not the best but acceptable.
good luck on your pack fining mission !

I'm a Talon 33 fan. I've added a pair of extra shoulder pads to make it a tad more comfortable (from Zpack),

Hey, my 2cents about Talon 33 (and 22).

I used Talon 33 during my first CF in 2015 and extensively before and after. Padding is enough both on shoulder straps and on the hip belt (but to each his own). Hip belt pockets can accommodate quite a large smartphone, tissues or compact camera. The shoulder strap pocket is rather for a power bar.
The front pocket - the mesh one - can easily keep rain cover (sold separately), hat, buff, bag + some more things without making it bulky. Top lid outside and inside pockets can help to have some stuff at hand.

For the second CF in 2017, I switched to Talon 22 and will be using it on VdlP starting next week.
The top lid opening in 33 is more convenient than a zipper for me but 33 was more than 1/3 empty in autumn Caminos :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
what suits wear it, if you find its not right stop in the nearest (large) town give yours to another pilgrim and get another one. The Camino will tell you if it suits all other pilgrims have different reasons why they choose their packs.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Both of those back packs are very suitable for the Camino. The best advice is to load them both and test them. As part of the testing, you should thinking about how you access certain essentials, including water.

I am very happy with my Talon 33, mainly because it is so comfortable on my back. I am female, and don't pay any attention to it supposedly being the male version. I happen to like the top-loading of a single compartment. Others consider this to be a negative. That's why it is hard to recommend one model over the other - they're both good packs.

The Talon 33 also has easy access to the pocket for the hydration bladder between the mesh back and the main compartment. I found the left hand side shoulder strap pocket ideal for stowing reading or sunglasses, the right hand side strap pocket is expandable (zipper) which makes it versatile. I’ve found that the waist strap pocket material wears easily, some small holes are appearing in mine, but after 4 long caminos it is to be expected. The very stretchy/expandable back pocket is the most versatile feature and easiky holds a poncho and other rain gear. In the version I have (bought 2015) there is no whistle integrated into the chest strap closure (but the newer models probably have that as standard now). Integrated cinches for telescopic poles. Very light. I’m a 5kg total pack and gear weight type of person so the minimal shoulder and hip strap padding has never been an issue. I also sweat like a horse so the minimal padding is easy to rinse off and wring from day to day. The fully adjustable height system (velcro) mean’t that my daughter was able to borrow mine a few years ago (she was 150 cm at the time, I’m 173). A no nonsense, simple well built small pack, no fiddly bits or aggravating design flaws to live with. But as others have said try them on in the shop and ask for a fitting.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can't make a comparison, but I do like my Talon 33 M/L. It has been with me on 2 long Caminos and one medium local through-walk - and we're ready to head off on VdlP in April/May. I washed it the other day and it's looking great.
My main likes about this pack are:
. light base weight (around 900g)
. waist band pockets - phone fits in one and one in the other
. ease of installing and using Camelback hydration system
. outer and inner top pockets for ease of getting to stuff during the day
. side and back pockets for easy access to rain cover, poncho, spray jacket
. overall comfort (I carry about 7kg all up).

I’m an Osprey guy and the Talon is my favorite backpack line of theirs. I have the 22, 33 & 44. I use the 22 on short walks & bike rides. The 33 on long Summer walks & the 44 on long Winter walks. Osprey also just came out with a few more sizes…the 20, 26, 30 & 36! Talk about choices! You can’t go wrong with any of them for the Camino. Everyone has their own size needs. I’m 6’4” & 230lbs, so all my clothes are bigger. Plus I‘m a photographer. Even tho my photo equipment is minimal & my equipment is ultralight… i do prefer the larger size Talons for long walks. For the Camino i might just have to get the 36. It’s right there in the middle sweet spot btwn the 33 & 44. 😉 The 36 unlike those 2 has a zippered top lid Which I like for quick access. 👍🏼

Attachments

• 39A17AC5-8B70-41A0-B753-0066BFD833EE.jpeg
    39A17AC5-8B70-41A0-B753-0066BFD833EE.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 7
HI!
Used the Talon 33 for my first Camino last year i had 27 days !
Fits carry on even got on Ryanair no probs!
Lightweight and big enough!
Only issue for me was the shoulder strap padding ; so i leukotaped two thick panty pads to each strap for the duration really comfy!
Woody

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.