• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tao

Mountainman

El Croco loco
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Frances
(StJ-Santiago) 2007, 2009
(StJ-Fisterra) 2011, 2012
Future:
Camino del Salvador 8/2014
Camino Primitivo 8/2014?
Camino del Norte 9/2014,
and hopefully many more yet unplanned
I may have missed other topics about this, but I would like to know more about the Tao-symbol I found everywhere on my 2009 Camino (whereas in 2007, I never noticed or they weren't there that much).

I have found some info on Wiki, but I'd love to hear about the symbolism of the Tao, especially in relation to the Camino...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think the spelling is Tau?
Nell

From Jack Hitt's "Off the Road: A Modern-Day Walk Down the Pilgrim's Route":

"... That code turns on the letter T, or Tau, which signifies the Templars and the cross and is somehow related to the number twelve, which in turn harkens to all kinds of associations--master Templars, apostles, months, zodiac signs. Only one Templar establishment has twelve towers--Ponferrada."

Legend has it that something of great value (treasure? the Holy Grail?) is hidden somewhere in the Templar Castle in Ponferrada.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Tau Cross is the symbol of St Francis of Assisi and the Franciscans. Legend has it that St Francis walked the Camino de Santiago, and no doubt in medieval times there were Franciscan monasteries based along the Camino. While St Francis used the Tau to represent his vision of monasticism, the Tau Cross itself is believed to date back to the Coptic Desert Fathers. I guess that's why it's used as a symbol at the ruins of San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz - St Anthony was one of the desert fathers. I don't know of any connection to the Templars, but it's a possibility.

Trudy

One of the theories about San Anton monks is that the blue Tau on their tunics represented a crutch used by pilgrims recovering from Ergotism, a crippling disease resulting from the ingestion of mould on rye.
Wiki - The Hospital Brothers of St. Anthony (monks) specialized in treating ergotism victims with balms containing tranquilizing and circulation-stimulating plant extracts; they were also skilled in amputations. The common name for ergotism is "St. Anthony's Fire", in reference to monks who cared for victims as well as symptoms, such as severe burning sensations in the limbs

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back