• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tap Water or Bottled Water?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The tap water is fine. From the fountains and everywhere else.
I consumed litres and litres of it on over 180 days on the Camino. I never buy bottled water on the Camino and try to avoid doing so in general (my little way of reducing plastic waste).
Spain is a first world country. The water is fine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please note if you see a sign on a fuente that says “agua sin garantía sanitaria” that it basically doesn't say anything about the quality of the water. In 90% of cases this water is perfectly good for drinking.

360_F_63898071_joPPNRJpmCYbYcMX6sE0SHX0bLibWIF5.jpg

It means that local authorities declined to pay money to check regularly the water to get a certificate stating that water is potable/ non potable.
The best way is to ask the locals if it is ok to drink. On less travelled Caminos you will find many cases of "agua manantial" (water from natural springs) that is perfectly OK to drink, but water has no legal certificate.

Some typical potable water fountains on the Frances. The one in Hornillos with the rooster/cockrel on top I really like.
El Camino 10 005.jpgIMG_20190825_084657472_HDR.jpgIMG_20190827_074237879.jpg
and a non-potable one I believe, at least non treated...
El Camino day 5 004.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tap water in Spain meets EU standards, which are equivalent to those of the US or Canada.

If you are filling your bottle from an outdoor public fountain, you should check for the signs mentioned in previous posts.
Portugal as well. It seems the default is potable; they only put on a sign if it's non-potable.

For most of my 10 caminos walking in autumn and winter I bought 2 half/liter bottles of water at the beginning of the camino and filled those same 2 bottles periordically from taps in albergues.

After purchasing a snack along the way in bars I would ask for the bottles to be filled or fill them myself from the taps in the loo.

Last edited:
I never buy bottled water on the Camino, but do avoid filling my Smartwater bottles if there are signs saying not potable. I also do not fill them up from any fountain/spiget that has continuous running water without a handle to turn the water on/off. It may be a rumor, but I've heard the water is not treated. I do however, use it to refresh my face, arms, and soak my bandana around my neck if I get hot.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is it safe to fill bottles with tap water or is it better / safer to buy bottled water along the trail?
I drank the tap water the whole way on the Camino last year with no issues. I occasionally bought bottled water at cafes but only because I wanted to purchase something to thank them for using their facilities. Just be sure when refilling from fountains that the water is potable. Most fountains are clearly labeled as potable or not. Good Luck!

For most of my 10 caminos walking in autumn and winter I bought 2 half/liter bottles of water at the beginning of the camino and filled those same 2 bottles periordically from taps in albergues.

After purchasing a snack along the way in bars I would ask for the bottles to be filled or fill them myself from the taps in the loo.
I have done the same thing except I've found the coca cola (or any soda brand) bottles to be a bit thicker and sturdier, better sealing cap and I purchase two or three of them at the beginning of the Camino and reuse all the way to SDC. They also fit nicely in the side pockets of my backpack.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is it safe to fill bottles with tap water or is it better / safer to buy bottled water along the trail?
My general philosophy on tap water is that I don't trust it anywhere in the world. I always filter it. I also abhor bottled water. Not only is it ridiculously expensive, the plastic is an environmental disaster.

So, what to do on the Camino or traveling for that matter? I always bring a Britta Sport (squeezable) water filter bottle. It's very easy to fill my hydration bladder from most any tap. Just fill the bottle, screw on the cap and squeeze. It also makes for a good bed-side water bottle.

Here's an example on AMAZON:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another to keep in mind for the new pilgrims and even experienced pilgrims, is that stories or even experiences of pilgrims getting gastro intestinal illness while on the Camino falsely believe it was caused by bad water when in fact it was caused by the lack of hygiene by fellow pilgrims with whom you share albergue space and facilities with. That lack of hygiene leads to spreading of illness like the norovirus.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My general philosophy on tap water is that I don't trust it anywhere in the world. I always filter it. I also abhor bottled water. Not only is it ridiculously expensive, the plastic is an environmental disaster.

So, what to do on the Camino or traveling for that matter? I always bring a Britta Sport (squeezable) water filter bottle. It's very easy to fill my hydration bladder from most any tap. Just fill the bottle, screw on the cap and squeeze. It also makes for a good bed-side water bottle.

Here's an example on AMAZON:
You might want to rethink the Brita filter, as it doesn't remove pathogens.

Is he perhaps endorsing the product?
Without a doubt he is. Most of the youtuber's who do it for a living endorse products for sponsorship and pay. Whether they actually use the product besides a demonstration on their video? Who knows?
Nonetheless it's a product not needed to walk the Frances, or any of the other well established Camino routes with modern infrastructure.

Whether they actually use the product besides a demonstration on their video? Who knows?
Efren has been using it all the time since he mentioned it and barely demonstrated it. I keep up on his newest videos of the Le Puy route because I follow along to relive my own wonderful memories of that route.
It doesn't bother me in the least if he endorses a product that helps him continue to do what he loves and can make a living at it. I see little difference when joining the forum without a donation as advertisements will pop up which help to run the business.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It doesn't bother me in the least if he endorses a product that helps him continue to do what he loves and can make a living at it.
I completely agree with you.

I just questioned the endorsement in the first place, to put it in perspective for the OP who wanted to know if tap water was safe. If a public health official recommends a type of product, I pay attention. If a YouTuber endorses a brand, I put that into context and then consider it differently. I expect that Efren would do the same.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am normally firm in the "bottled" water camp on most trips - but the water on the Camino is fine! That said - I start with a 1L "bottled" water that I buy at the airport for my flight - then refill that (much lighter than purchased water bottles). I re-use it for weeks at a time - and simply buy another "bottled" water when I feel it needs to be replaced.

My donkey was always pretty good at refusing water that she thought was doubtful. So if she thought it was acceptable, I drank it as well. Never had a problem.
Only snag was when she wasn't thirsty. Sometimes I had to drink beer.

We just got back from walking (part of) the Camino Frances. We used tap water to fill our water bottles. No problems. It tasted wonderful every where. To me, much better than bottled water. I wish getting tap water in restaurants were the default. So much wasted plastic with all those bottles.
Good news! According to the linked article, restaurants and bars are now legally obligated to offer free tap water. Ask for agua del grifo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My donkey was always pretty good at refusing water that she thought was doubtful. So if she thought it was acceptable, I drank it as well. Never had a problem.
Only snag was when she wasn't thirsty. Sometimes I had to drink beer.
Yes, beer is safer, filtered and cheaper than bottled water but the wine is even less expensive.

I will be walking my first Camino starting mid May. I ma used to drinking filtered water. Had a reverse osmosis system in my house for past 20 years. As a precaution I purchased a Crazy Cap bottle. It has a built=in ultraviolet light to kill bacteria. Hope it works.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also do not fill them up from any fountain/spiget that has continuous running water without a handle to turn the water on/off. It may be a rumor, but I've heard the water is not treated. I do however, use it to refresh my face, arms, and soak my bandana around my neck if I get hot.
I haven't heard that, but it makes a lot of sense. Water is expensive in Iberia; we pay (compared to North America) quite a bit for water for house and garden when we're there.

It would make total sense that if they had a source of less-treated water, they'd use it for fountains etc. that didn't get turned off.

In my (limited-area) experience, the little water sources in squares, etc. usually have a faucet. It's quite common for the local households in villages to use that water as well as what they get in their houses, so it would make sense for the local authorities to make sure they're treated water.

Yes, beer is safer, filtered and cheaper than bottled water but the wine is even less expensive.
Beer is better when you are thirsty. I fall over too much if I quench my thirst with wine. I do try to start with water. Out of a tap is fine, just don't present me with sweet sticky drinks. Who invented Casera anyway?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Please note if you see a sign on a fuente that says “agua sin garantía sanitaria” that it basically doesn't say anything about the quality of the water. In 90% of cases this water is perfectly good for drinking.
And how do you know whether you are faced with a 90% case or a 10% case?

And how do you know that it means that local authorities declined to pay money to check regularly the water to get a certificate stating that water is potable/non potable???

I would not drink from a fountain that says No potable. It probably won't kill you and may not even make you sick during the next few days but the reasons for that sticker are manifold. I'd guess first and foremost that it has to do with the nitrate content or similar content that is classified as too high for regular human consumption. It is an issue in parts of Castilla y Leon / Burgos province for example, same as it is an issue nowadays in other agricultural regions with local water capture. Tap water has safe levels as it gets mixed with low content water if necessary, which will not be the case for water from a fountain that is fed directly from a natural source.

Last edited:
I didn’t stress over water, but found myself drinking a lot of bottled water. When stopping with my wife to use restrooms in bars and cafes I would always buy something ’agua grande por favor’.

I also use a hydration tube that fits in bottles, I use two bottles and like knowing when the first is empty. I like that better than the bladder. If I buy a new cold bottle at a bar I just screw it on the tube and go.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The tap water is fine. From the fountains and everywhere else.
I consumed litres and litres of it on over 180 days on the Camino. I never buy bottled water on the Camino and try to avoid doing so in general (my little way of reducing plastic waste).
Spain is a first world country. The water is fine.

Absolutely agree to reduce plastic waste. I usually buy two plastic bottles of water on my first day (or already at the airport) and these bottles hang with me until the tap comes off or there are holes in them or whatever. Then I replace them. I can go 2-3 weeks with the same bottle of water. I fill them up with tap water from the hostal or albergue, or from fountains along the way.

Now on most plastic bottles it says "Should not be refilled after use" or something. I suppose it is because the plastic can contaminate the water in old bottles = ??? But I never care...

Absolutely agree to reduce plastic waste. I usually buy two plastic bottles of water on my first day (or already at the airport) and these bottles hang with me until the tap comes off or there are holes in them or whatever. Then I replace them. I can go 2-3 weeks with the same bottle of water. I fill them up with tap water from the hostal or albergue, or from fountains along the way.

Now on most plastic bottles it says "Should not be refilled after use" or something. I suppose it is because the plastic can contaminate the water in old bottles = ??? But I never care...
I buy two Smartwater bottles before I leave home with the flip-top caps so I don't have to hold it while drinking. These bottles are smooth and robust for ease of taking out of the backpack sleeve and replacing. They serve me well for the whole four to six weeks I walk.

And how do you know that it means that local authorities declined to pay money to check regularly the water to get a certificate stating that water is potable/non potable???
That's what locals told me in Spain on several ocassions. They usually are angry at the authorities who put those "water without sanitary guarantee" signs on water springs, which they have been drinking for ages from. Not to spread conspiration theories here, but ask any Spaniards about those springs "without guarantee" and they will tell you who is behind this new invention: "water mafias" who want to maximize profit from selling bottled water. It's a big business and big money involved.

"water mafias" who want to maximize profit from selling bottled water. It's a big business and big money involved.
I have seen a couple of documentaries on this subject and I suppose it could be true here. OTOH, possibly the locals are used to drinking/using those springs with totally natural, untreated water. Our digestive systems may be more sensitive...I personally would not take a chance to drink it.

Last edited:
That's what locals told me in Spain on several ocassions. They usually are angry at the authorities who put those "water without sanitary guarantee" signs on water springs, which they have been drinking for ages from. Not to spread conspiration theories here, but ask any Spaniards about those springs "without guarantee" and they will tell you who is behind this new invention: "water mafias" who want to maximize profit from selling bottled water. It's a big business and big money involved.
I now know more than I knew when I first reacted to your comment ☺️. The way I understand it now, "sin garantías sanitarias" means that the water comes directly from a natural source and that it is without any disinfection treatment. However, it does not mean that the town or village wants to save money on regular checks on water quality. In some cases, at least that's what I've now read, the water company in question carries out inspections on a monthly basis and in the summer even on a weekly basis due to the drop in the water table. In late summer or autumn, the same fountain may even get a sign saying "no potable" and the spouts may even get sealed for a while.

I guess you could always find a local - provided they are around when you arrive at the fountain ☺️ - who has drunk the water all his life and nothing had happened ...

I grew up in a rural area with small scale agriculture where tap water came from a local source nearby, and this is no longer possible because of the high nitrate content, so I am quite aware of this issue, and I know that it is an issue in parts of Spain, due to large scale agriculture and livestock farming and the contamination that goes with it.

Anyway, tap water and bottled water are equally safe in Spain, and it is a question of one's tastebuds and/or concerns about the use of plastic that ought to determine what is best.

I am a big fan of carbonated water (I think also known as seltzer water) so I must admit that I quite often buy it in supermarkets when I walk in Spain. I find it ten times more refreshing than still water. I think it is a matter of taste and the culture where you grew up, because majority of people I met on the Camino hate seltzer water :) But I also make sure the bottle goes always to a yellow recycling container, not just any trash can, even I have to carry empty bottle for many km. It weighs next to nothing anyways.

You might want to rethink the Brita filter, as it doesn't remove pathogens.
No the Brita Filter does not remove bacteria or viruses. It's heavy metals and organics that are my concern. Our world is getting more and more polluted and even with regulation, municipal water supplies are highly variable in contaminants.

Regarding bacterial contaminants, I don't know what the regulations are in Spain, but I have to assume that municipal water supplies are chlorinated. I'd actually like to understand this better. If it is a concern, there are several easy to use lightweight hollow-fiber membrane backpack filters that remove over 99% of most common bacterial contaminants. I do not plan to bring mine along, as I would think by now we'd have heard of bacterial contaminants being a problem in Spain if this were the case.

I am a big fan of carbonated water (I think also known as seltzer water) so I must admit that I quite often buy it in supermarkets when I walk in Spain. I find it ten times more refreshing than still water. I think it is a matter of taste and the culture where you grew up, because majority of people I met on the Camino hate seltzer water
Ha! It was on the chemins de Compostelle through France that I discovered Badoit thanks to a fellow pèlerine (hm, is that correctly gendered 😅). Badoit is only lightly carbonated and has become my absolute favourite. I have sometimes experienced severe culture shock when I was in countries where they sell something as bottled water that tastes like tap water or even worse but I will not name names.

And, like you, I discovered these big blue and yellow recycling containers in Spain and used them although right now I can't remember what goes into what.

You got me interested in the topic, so I did some internet searching and found several articles discussing the taste and quality of tap water in Spain. It's a complicated issue in that you need to separate taste from quality, and then you need to define what 'quality' actually means.

On the surface, according to the Spanish Ministry of Health, 99.5% of the countries water supply is safe to drink. However, many Spaniards drink bottled water due to taste of the tap water. Taste is mostly driven by chlorination of the water supply, which is variable from region to region and even season to season. Chlorination levels are adjusted to meet the needs of the water and some areas use chloramine, which imparts a stronger taste.

There are other issues to consider beyond taste and bacterial contaminants, which are mostly organic contaminants and possibly heavy metals too depending on the local soil composition. A 2020 study indicated that 11% of Spain's bladder cases could be attributed to high levels of Trihalomethanes (THM) in the water. THM is an organic byproduct of chlorination. It's the potential for organic contaminants, not only in Spain, but in all water supplies worldwide that are my greatest concern, which is why I filter all of my drinking water. See my prior post regarding my use of the Brita filter bottle when I travel.

Here's a link to one article regarding that provides a nice summary of the Spanish water supply:

You might consider carrying a small water filter, some types weigh less than a pound. They improve the taste of treated water, and they could also be used to purify stream water (verify this for the filter chosen) which means you'd have more options for refilling along the way

You might consider carrying a small water filter, some types weigh less than a pound. They improve the taste of treated water, and they could also be used to purify stream water (verify this for the filter chosen) which means you'd have more options for refilling along the way
As pointed out, the following thread has detailed information...
You might want to read this rather complete post on water filtration devices from @davebugg

And this thread addresses the question of whether a water filter is needed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I never buy bottled water on the Camino, but do avoid filling my Smartwater bottles if there are signs saying not potable. I also do not fill them up from any fountain/spiget that has continuous running water without a handle to turn the water on/off. It may be a rumor, but I've heard the water is not treated. I do however, use it to refresh my face, arms, and soak my bandana around my neck if I get hot.
I drank from fountains i plazas, and even fro a few out in the "middle of nowhere" without problem. But on some places, I used a "Grayl" to drink from ditches and ponds without ill effect. Not claiming Grayl is the best—it has competitors but I haven't tried any of them.

In France I filled my water bottles at cemeteries
Actually quite sage. You can generally rely on a tap being available at a cemetery, although I have no idea why. It can be a 'life-saver'. And certainly, the locals don't seem to mind.

Actually quite sage. You can generally rely on a tap being available at a cemetery, although I have no idea why.
Far more family visiting cemetaries regularly in the smaller towns and villages than we are used to seeing in northern-European/North American, less Catholic countries, I suspect. Bringing flowers regularly is not uncommon. So the municipalities provide water for the flowers, and for cleaning graves and memorials.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Far more family visiting cemetaries regularly in the smaller towns and villages than we are used to seeing in northern-European/North American, less Catholic countries, I suspect. Bringing flowers regularly is not uncommon. So the municipalities provide water for the flowers, and for cleaning graves and memorials.
True - but I think the point of the other poster was that it was "reliable" water. Meaning - potable. Safe. When really - a cemetery could just as easily use non-potable water. They are watering flowers and perhaps lawns (if they have them) and cleaning graves - none of that requires potable water that is safe for drinking.

True.
I buy water once. I refill all the way home, in bar bathrooms, fuentes, hostal rooms. Easy, quick, cheap and a whole lot nicer than strewing empties everywhere I go.
By the way, you may be getting warned about not reusing bottles because of “health” concerns. That just may be disinformation to sell more plastic. Anyway it’s too late for me and microplastics, no matter how good I am.
All the best,
Paul
Buen Camino

True - but I think the point of the other poster was that it was "reliable" water. Meaning - potable. Safe. When really - a cemetery could just as easily use non-potable water. They are watering flowers and perhaps lawns (if they have them) and cleaning graves - none of that requires potable water that is safe for drinking.
That's a good point, but I guess if it were not potable it would be labelled accordingly. (I hope!) I've availed myself of cemetery water in Germany and France and have been grateful. If it looks like the tap is connected to the mains I use it; if it were from a spring I would be hesitant. But you can't be sure unless it's labelled either way.

That's a good point, but I guess if it were not potable it would be labelled accordingly. (I hope!) I've availed myself of cemetery water in Germany and France and have been grateful. If it looks like the tap is connected to the mains I use it; if it were from a spring I would be hesitant. But you can't be sure unless it's labelled either way.
It would not occur to me to think that the tap in a cemetery in France or Germany is not connected to the drinking water supply network of the village or town. Of course it would be labelled as non drinkable if this were the case but why should it be? Doesn’t everybody know that you are most likely to get drinking water in a cemetery? The only problem is in winter month when it might be turned off to avoid damage due to frost.

It would not occur to me to think that the tap in a cemetery in France or Germany is not connected to the drinking water supply network of the village or town. Of course it would be labelled as non drinkable if this were the case but why should it be? Doesn’t everybody know that you are most likely to get drinking water in a cemetery? The only problem is in winter month when it might be turned off to avoid damage due to frost.
Certainly in France it is a legal obligation in the commune to provide potable water in cemeteries.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes - if it were non-potable it should be labelled as such. I was just backing up the fact that water from the cemeteries has been reliable as being safe to drink.

Yes - if it were non-potable it should be labelled as such. I was just backing up the fact that water from the cemeteries has been reliable as being safe to drink.
I have read this often on the forum, but on the Le Puy route in the month of June I never needed to take advantage of it. I will remember it is an option should I return to walk a route in France

I have read this often on the forum, but on the Le Puy route in the month of June I never needed to take advantage of it. I will remember it is an option should I return to walk a route in France
I also never needed to use water at the cemeteries. I filled my 1L water bottle at the start of the day at the albergue (or more water on the few longer stretches). Never had to refill during the day except when I failed to refill before leaving the albergue (twice I was too lazy to do it haha). I did this because I never knew when the bars would open (since I was traveling during COVID - so early after Spain reopened).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On a water related note -- I have a habit if drinking a liter of water within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning. I don't drink a lot at night -- 'old guy issues' :)

I find if you start the day hydrated, you can carry a lot less water in your pack.

I have done the same thing except I've found the coca cola (or any soda brand) bottles to be a bit thicker and sturdier, better sealing cap and I purchase two or three of them at the beginning of the Camino and reuse all the way to SDC. They also fit nicely in the side pockets of my backpack.
Yes, I believe softdrink/soda bottles are better (than natural water bottles) formulated and made to withstand the pressure of the carbonate and to prevent it from contaminating the drink (the chemical brew) inside. I also prefer to reuse it for drinking water than common water bottles themselves.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back