• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tape, clothespins and shoelaces - my new discoveries

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
My kit for my second Camino was almost identical to my first, but I did make some new discoveries.

First, I discovered Omnifix Elastic tape while in Spain. This stuff is the best! It's soft and flexible, stays put all day, and removes easily without leaving a sticky residue. You can buy it at most farmacias in Spain. I put it on the balls of my feet and wrapped around my second toes everyday, because those were the only places that I got any hotspots. The fact that it stretches, and is so thin makes it ideal for molding to the foot, and being comfortable.

Second, New Balance Sure Laces (bubble laces) - these only came untied twice, and I never had to double knot my laces.

And finally, mini clothespins. Last year I just brought large safety/diaper pins, which were great for pinning things to my pack, but not ideal for securing my clothes to a non horizontal clothes line - gravity would take over and everything would slide downwards. I found these tiny clothespins at a craft store, and they worked great to hold my lightweight clothing and towel onto the clotheslines. I took about a dozen of them, and also some diaper pins too.
clothespins.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I discovered Medipore tape. Stays on for 4 or 5 days, handles water great, doesn't irritate my skin. A donut of mole skin with the bottom of my foot taped = no impact blisters. Takes a little bit of scrubbing to get the glue off.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My kit for my second Camino was almost identical to my first, but I did make some new discoveries.

First, I discovered Omnifix Elastic tape while in Spain. This stuff is the best! It's soft and flexible, stays put all day, and removes easily without leaving a sticky residue. You can buy it at most farmacias in Spain. I put it on the balls of my feet and wrapped around my second toes everyday, because those were the only places that I got any hotspots. The fact that it stretches, and is so thin makes it ideal for molding to the foot, and being comfortable.

Second, New Balance Sure Laces (bubble laces) - these only came untied twice, and I never had to double knot my laces.

And finally, mini clothespins. Last year I just brought large safety/diaper pins, which were great for pinning things to my pack, but not ideal for securing my clothes to a non horizontal clothes line - gravity would take over and everything would slide downwards. I found these tiny clothespins at a craft store, and they worked great to hold my lightweight clothing and towel onto the clotheslines. I took about a dozen of them, and also some diaper pins too.
View attachment 35976

I live in Slovakia and discovered Omnifix before I left for my Camino in March. I taped my heels almost daily. It was much cheaper to buy in Slovakia vs Spain but I did find that prices varied significantly in Spain. I bought the 5cm x 10 m roll for €2.50 in one pharmacy yet another was asking double that price. It's lightweight, and yes thin, easy to remove when showering but because it's so thin and highly sticky you need to,practice taping so you don't waste tape that gets all stuck together when applying. I pre-cut pieces so in the morning I could tape feet within 10 minutes.

View attachment 35976

Say, and don't forget "Compeed," if for no other reason than to share with folks who purchased too-small hiking boots!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

View attachment 35976
One of our Camino advisors recommended diaper pins for laundry and attaching things to the pack. Also, I've heard take some caribiners for attaching things to the pack to dry while you walk, etc.

One of our Camino advisors recommended diaper pins for laundry and attaching things to the pack. Also, I've heard take some caribiners for attaching things to the pack to dry while you walk, etc.
I carry diaper pins to repair clothing and to attach socks and things to my pack, but don't like them yo hang clothes on a clothesline that is slanted or saggy. Gravity pulls it all down to one lump.

I carry diaper pins to repair clothing and to attach socks and things to my pack, but don't like them yo hang clothes on a clothesline that is slanted or saggy. Gravity pulls it all down to one lump.
There's a way around that - you put a twist of washing line around the pin shank:
pin.jpg

Then it won't slide along by accident. An old mountaineering trick or, at least taught to me by an old mountaineer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yep, I hear ya. I've encountered the same problem, but partially solved it by also carrying some much smaller safety pins and grabbing a larger portion of fabric when hanging which securs it better.

View attachment 35976

Thanks for the tips! I am ordering the shoelaces...mine always need double knotting..and still come loose at least once a day!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.