• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taping for Prevention

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Hi all, I'm a reasonably experienced Camino Pilgrim and setting off on my 4th Camino in September.
I have always used Leukatape to prevent blisters forming; this has worked well in the past. However on my last Camino (Portuguese Central Route) last May I fell out of love with it.
I was changing my tape one morning before setting out, and ended up with a large skin tear under one of my feet which was caused by removing the tape. (not what you need before a day's walking!)
Never had a similar issue before, but I've become a little paranoid about it happening again.
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a tape that can be relied upon to stay in place long enough to walk 15 miles + without the risk of ripping my foot in half when I take it off. I definitely want to use some type of tape as this has always worked for me in the past, so I'm not really interested in options to this ( soak your feet in monkey urine a week before you travel etc etc🤣)
Just looking for a little guidance on a product slightly less adhesive that will do the job.
Think part of the issue is that I'm no spring chicken anymore (62) so wonder if my skin is slightly more prone to tearing . . .
Thanks in advance to any/all who can make suggestions
Frank

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You could try coban as it does not stick to the skin, but adheres to itself. I might be a little bulky though? Although I don't think they contain monkey urine, there are some products out there to toughen skin to prevent again both blisters and tape burn. As a nurse we sometimes used to use little plegettes of similar products to protect again tape burn for dressing applications.

Omnifix and Hypafix tapes are my preference. They are thin flexible tapes that stretch to conform to your feet. They stay on well all day, but remove easily (especially easy in the shower) but don't leave a sticky residue. Widely available from pharmacies in Spain. I have also purchased on Amazon. The tapes come in different widths - I like the 4" wide size - you can usually cut out a single piece that will fit with no overlaps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always carry and use 3M Nexcare waterproof blister tape. Comes in 2 widths, stays on skin even when feet get sweaty, moulds and conforms to contours and gentle when it comes time to remove it. I preventative tape raised bumps on heels and tops of big, second (that's longer than big toe) and outer of little toes as I know that's where I'll blister or get toenail bed damage if the conditions are there. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure for me and 2 or 3 rolls will look after me. Its available in big pharmacies in Australia and Nexcare is a worldwide brand, plus you can order it online. Skin needs to be clean & dry and the tape needs to be pressed /rubbed on so it adheres properly.

I've always used micropore tape on the pressure points of foot as a preventive measure against blisters with a little sheep wool from the field ( washed of course), very very inexpensive, it's always worked for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all, I'm a reasonably experienced Camino Pilgrim and setting off on my 4th Camino in September.
I have always used Leukatape to prevent blisters forming; this has worked well in the past. However on my last Camino (Portuguese Central Route) last May I fell out of love with it.
I was changing my tape one morning before setting out, and ended up with a large skin tear under one of my feet which was caused by removing the tape. (not what you need before a day's walking!)
Never had a similar issue before, but I've become a little paranoid about it happening again.
I was wondering if anyone could suggest a tape that can be relied upon to stay in place long enough to walk 15 miles + without the risk of ripping my foot in half when I take it off. I definitely want to use some type of tape as this has always worked for me in the past, so I'm not really interested in options to this ( soak your feet in monkey urine a week before you travel etc etc🤣)
Just looking for a little guidance on a product slightly less adhesive that will do the job.
Think part of the issue is that I'm no spring chicken anymore (62) so wonder if my skin is slightly more prone to tearing . . .
Frank
I use KT tape on feet to prevent blisters. I found it comes off in the shower with little effort. A roll lasts for ages.

I have had good results protecting my toes with Micropore (tm) tape, but for larger areas Hypafix (tm) or Omnifix (tm) are my preferences. If I do not have Micropore (tm) or a similar tape, I will use a rigid tape, but remove it at the end of my walk for the day. Thus far, it has never been an issue, but given the OP's experience, I think I will be more careful doing that in future.

I agree that KT tape works well for blister prevention, but it's heavier and more expensive than Omnifix or Hypafix.
I have used it on one occasion when I developed shin splints on the downhill from O'Cebreiro. Works well as a stabilizer for the tendons that are inflamed. Bought it at a pharmacy in one of the towns near the bottom of the hill. Never used it for blister prevention and it is heavier than most other athletic tapes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have never used any type of tape either preventatively nor after the fact for blisters. I have never had a blister. What I did use preventatively was Body Glide, which looks a bit like a dry deodorant stick. I rub it around my heel, top of my foot, tops, bottoms, and between toes. Of all the people I know who have used it, I have not heard of anyone who has had a blister. Of course this is but one small piece of the picture, the main piece being a well tested shoe or boot/sock combo. Body Glide available at MEC in Canada. Likely something similar available at REI in US, or most running stores wherever you are.

I just use a length of duct tape that extends from mid-sole up to about 10 cm above the heel. The outer surface of the tape is slippery which for my purposes is good.

The roll of tape I use is old and no longer as sticky as new tape. It adheres to my foot all day but falls off in the shower.

Note: When applying the tape, I bend my foot up, so that the tape will not be under tension.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Frank
My training compadre is using "Mefix" for taping. She really likes it. It wasn't padded enough for my callus but when I used it, it stayed and was easy to remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank
Actually I used Vicks vapour rub between the toes and skipped the blisters. Feet felt great. It also washed easily out of my wool socks everyday. Just liberally apply and lasted all day. A friend who walked two consecutive caminos (1500km) gave me the hack.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Has anyone used a spray on or liquid bandage. There's a product on Amazon called New-Skin that you can put on your feet to avoid blisters or as a first-aid for blisters. The spray-on has a problem in that it hardens on the spray nozzle after a few uses, especially if you don't use it for a while. The liquid version has an applicator similar to one used for nail polish. It is flammable so I don't know if it would be allowed on a plane. https://www.amazon.com/New-Skin-Liquid-Bandage-Ounce-Cover/dp/B0017JOF86?tag=casaivar02-20
-Rich

Frank
I use this tape. It is flexible and soft works great for toes too! I have two places on heel I tend to blister and put on a layer the on top put mole skin then cover mole skin with another layer. If I get a blister donut cut mole skin and cover. SN Medical-35100 Cover-Roll Stretch Adhesive Bandage, 4"

I use this tape. It is flexible and soft works great for toes too! I have two places on heel I tend to blister and put on a layer the on top put mole skin then cover mole skin with another layer. If I get a blister donut cut mole skin and cover. SN Medical-35100 Cover-Roll Stretch Adhesive Bandage, 4"
Also I just purchased Armaskin liners and don’t need to tape as much. They save lots of time on taping. They wick moisture so I do change my outer socks more but easier than taping.

€83,-
Frank
I had a similar experience some years ago. We walked Granada to Cordoba in February this year and my feet became very sore. I have pink padding with an adhesive backing - actually two different kinds bought in pharmacy in Spain. I cut a piece the width of my foot and large enough to pad the tender area. I placed the padded side next to my skin, and did not remove the adhesive backing. I cut 2-3 longish strips of tape, Hypafix, and used them to hold the padding in place. The tape under my foot was attached to the adhesive backing of the padding, with tape only attached to skin on the side/ top of my foot. These were not problem areas for me and my feet were more comfortable with padding in place. Worth a try?

I have never used any type of tape either preventatively nor after the fact for blisters. I have never had a blister. What I did use preventatively was Body Glide, which looks a bit like a dry deodorant stick. I rub it around my heel, top of my foot, tops, bottoms, and between toes. Of all the people I know who have used it, I have not heard of anyone who has had a blister. Of course this is but one small piece of the picture, the main piece being a well tested shoe or boot/sock combo. Body Glide available at MEC in Canada. Likely something similar available at REI in US, or most running stores wherever you are.
Yes -- we used it for years during long bicycle rides. Works great and isn't messy like some of the udder creams we used to use to prevent saddle sores (from riding the bike and/or our mules). REI has a whole shelf of BG products at our local store.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Has anyone used a spray on or liquid bandage. There's a product on Amazon called New-Skin that you can put on your feet to avoid blisters or as a first-aid for blisters. The spray-on has a problem in that it hardens on the spray nozzle after a few uses, especially if you don't use it for a while. The liquid version has an applicator similar to one used for nail polish. It is flammable so I don't know if it would be allowed on a plane. https://www.amazon.com/New-Skin-Liquid-Bandage-Ounce-Cover/dp/B0017JOF86?tag=casaivar02-20
-Rich
I've carried this on all four of my caminos. Works great for covering wounds (that are NOT bleeding). Never used it on blisters.

I always carry and use 3M Nexcare waterproof blister tape. Comes in 2 widths, stays on skin even when feet get sweaty, moulds and conforms to contours and gentle when it comes time to remove it. I preventative tape raised bumps on heels and tops of big, second (that's longer than big toe) and outer of little toes as I know that's where I'll blister or get toenail bed damage if the conditions are there. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure for me and 2 or 3 rolls will look after me. Its available in big pharmacies in Australia and Nexcare is a worldwide brand, plus you can order it online. Skin needs to be clean & dry and the tape needs to be pressed /rubbed on so it adheres properly.
I have used the same - although I think I used the first aid type. On the CF, I used it to cover any potentail hotspot/blister areas. As mentioned put on clean, dry and nonlubricated area. Mine stayed on for 3 days even with showering each day. I wore Chaco sandals.
Over the past year, I have opted to use only Body Glide on my feet w/Chaco’s. I average 8 miles per day walking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I experienced this on a backpacking trip when using cloth medical adhesive tape on my soles. I now use either thin mole foam or athletic tape, which is like cloth adhesive tape but much less sticky - peel them off carefully and have had no further problems.

Athletic tape also is good stabilizing ankle sprains and to treating Policemans' heel (fat pad damage).

I have 2 uses for taping:
When having tendinitis ( now cared for )
and for blisters

after having used leucoplast and mefix, have now settled for KTape, as it will loosen itself easily within some days and will not tear off skin easily.
When taping for tendinitis, I use KT first, and then if there is further need for extra stiffening, like a twisted ankle, and only then, the stiff sports tape on top of the KT.
In this way it will not be agony and disaster when it all has to come off...

First apologies for not having read all the thread and this may already have been said ….
As an older person, if past strategies seem to no longer work I would go to a podiatrist and have a complete foot assessment / recommendations.
As we age the fat on the soles of our feet diminishes 😢😢😢 and our feet really do become more sensitive 🦶😫 🦶. This is on top of the skin losing strength and elasticity etc.
I had my first podiatrist appointment at age 70 and my feet cheer in gratitude every day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had a similar experience some years ago. We walked Granada to Cordoba in February this year and my feet became very sore. I have pink padding with an adhesive backing - actually two different kinds bought in pharmacy in Spain. I cut a piece the width of my foot and large enough to pad the tender area. I placed the padded side next to my skin, and did not remove the adhesive backing. I cut 2-3 longish strips of tape, Hypafix, and used them to hold the padding in place. The tape under my foot was attached to the adhesive backing of the padding, with tape only attached to skin on the side/ top of my foot. These were not problem areas for me and my feet were more comfortable with padding in place. Worth a try?
Definitely worth a try 👍

First apologies for not having read all the thread and this may already have been said ….
As an older person, if past strategies seem to no longer work I would go to a podiatrist and have a complete foot assessment / recommendations.
As we age the fat on the soles of our feet diminishes 😢😢😢 and our feet really do become more sensitive 🦶😫 🦶. This is on top of the skin losing strength and elasticity etc.
I had my first podiatrist appointment at age 70 and my feet cheer in gratitude every day.
Just been to a podiatrist and had some bespoke insoles made. Got everything crossed now (even my toes!🤣)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Frank
We found Leukosilk fabulous. Won’t rip your skin to pieces when you remove it. However… sometimes needed Fixomull to hold in place for a long day’s walking

I've used "KT Blister Prevention" tape on two trips now, and I think it's the right balance between heavy-duty duct tape or moleskin and too-lite micropore. It's a pretty personal thing, of course, so I'd give it a try on a long hike before leaving. It's cut into sizes that are just right for your heel and can be cut to size for other areas. We've never had issues with it pulling off the skin as we have for other products. Just be careful when removing.

G'day, Have you tried the Nexcare silicone tape for comparison? Curious if this was a better product than the Nexcare waterproof tape. Cheers

Combination of hiker's wool and either BodyGlide foot stick or Compeed Foot Stick. Not sure where you are but I can only buy Hiker's wool on Amazon. You might find that a knitting shop will sell you the same thing as "roving", but it could be either far less or far more money than the hiker's wool. I think you cannot buy Bodyglide foot stick in Europe, but the Compeed equivalent is available in every farmacia should you run out in the course of your walk. I find that a stick on any brand lasts me about 3 weeks of 25km average days. The wool you cut into sections to wrap around toes, to pad heels etc. and you discard at the end of the day when it will have felted to your sock a bit. VERY comfortable, highly customisable.

G'day, Have you tried the Nexcare silicone tape for comparison? Curious if this was a better product than the Nexcare waterproof tape. Cheers
Sorry but no, I haven't tried it.

Have you tried double socks? That works best for me. I don't do well with taping my feet. Also hate vaseline on my feet. Anyhow - my go to socks are injinji toe socks paired with meriono wool cushioned sock and I size up my shoes to fit the socks and still have a little extra room in the toe area.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.