• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tarta de Santiago template

crochuntress

I recently finished my first camino and after a disastrous start with my luggage failing to arrive, my camino finished with my cross templates being confiscated at the airport. I was too worried to put my bag in the hold as I still didn't have my original bags back.

Still not quite sure what I could have done to hurt someone with them?? But there we are....!

If anyone would be kind enough to buy and post me another set to the UK, or if you live near winchester or salisbury I can collect? I thought I would be able to buy online but no luck so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I cook a "tarta de Santiago" every year, for Christmas. Don´t have a template (although I'd love one). I improvise one with paperboard, and it works just fine.
Good cooking!

The link Falcon provided is for the Spanish Amazon web site. When I clicked on the link from the States, the price came up in pounds sterling...go figure...

You should be able to easily order it for delivery to the UK.

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I was in Santiago in July I went to Rua de Caldeireria 48 to buy a template for the Tarta de Santiago. When I purchased it I realised that a securityperson at the airport would look at it and see the resemblence to a knife! I always travel with handluggage so off to the postoffice where the very helpfull postpeople helped me finding a suitable envelope. Mailing the templates cost more than the cost of the templates, but I did not care. I could imagine my future grandchildren finding the templates in my kitchen after my passing away. They will look at eachother and say "oh, this is the templates Grandma used for her special Santiagocake, do you remember how she would go on about walking the Camino. Maybe we should it" It was a lovely thought and when the envelope arrived at my house in Copenhagen, it made me so happy, I smiled all day long. I have the templates and I will bake the Tarta de Santiago and when my guest asks about the cake, I will tell them about the Camino.

I hope crochuntress will have her templates and bake the Tarta and enjoy it with good friends and family.

My wife likes to make a Tarta de Santiago occasionally, so I just found an image of the cross and blew it up to the proper size on my copier, then used that as a pattern to cut a final template from a piece of heavy paper. I used Scotch tape to make a little "handle" to lift the template from the tarta after sprinkling on the powdered sugar. It looked something like this: _||_

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always use the template which is on the net. It's accurate and looks great, and once you've used your stencil you can simply throw it out. Once you make your tarta de Santiago, post a pic and let's see how it all worked out. Happy cooking crochuntress!

When I was in Santiago in July I went to Rua de Caldeireria 48 to buy a template for the Tarta de Santiago. When I purchased it I realised that a securityperson at the airport would look at it and see the resemblence to a knife!

Just to say that I carried my template in hand luggage in the US a few days ago, without even thinking that its point might cause an issue. As my bag went through, the TSA guy came up to me and asked -- do you have a knife in your bag? I said, no, it's a stencil of a cross to put on the top of a cake and then sprinkle powdered sugar on top to leave the impression. He looked at me a bit quizically and said -- well that was going to be my second guess. :) He let it through and said it's because its point is nowhere near as sharp as the knitting needles allowed on flights. So in the US at least it should not be a problem, not sure about the rest of the world.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I recently finished my first camino and after a disastrous start with my luggage failing to arrive, my camino finished with my cross templates being confiscated at the airport. I was too worried to put my bag in the hold as I still didn't have my original bags back.

Still not quite sure what I could have done to hurt someone with them?? But there we are....!

If anyone would be kind enough to buy and post me another set to the UK, or if you live near winchester or salisbury I can collect? I thought I would be able to buy online but no luck so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

If you go online and look for the recipe for Tarta de Santiago, (it is delicious and very fattening!) then they will give you the template. I have two sizes in metal and can photo for you and you can make a template therefrom?!

Just to say that I carried my template in hand luggage in the US a few days ago, without even thinking that its point might cause an issue. As my bag went through, the TSA guy came up to me and asked -- do you have a knife in your bag? I said, no, it's a stencil of a cross to put on the top of a cake and then sprinkle powdered sugar on top to leave the impression. He looked at me a bit quizically and said -- well that was going to be my second guess. :) He let it through and said it's because its point is nowhere near as sharp as the knitting needles allowed on flights. So in the US at least it should not be a problem, not sure about the rest of the world.

I'm amazed that you came across a TSA guy who had both a sense of humour AND a sense of proportion. Startled that these evident disqualifications didn't disbar him from getting the job in the first place, and SHOCKED that you didn't report him to the Department of Homeland Security so that he could be quickly sacked.

PS. A sheet of grease-proof paper, cut into the shape of a Santiago Cross and lightly buttered, will work equally well and reduce the risk of being whisked off to Guantánamo Bay.

I'm amazed that you came across a TSA guy who had both a sense of humour AND a sense of proportion. Startled that these evident disqualifications didn't disbar him from getting the job in the first place, and SHOCKED that you didn't report him to the Department of Homeland Security so that he could be quickly sacked.

PS. A sheet of grease-proof paper, cut into the shape of a Santiago Cross and lightly buttered, will work equally well and reduce the risk of being whisked off to Guantánamo Bay.

Hi, Alan,

The TSA guy works at my little local airport and things are pretty low key there. I actually don't have any bad TSA stories to tell, but it sounds like you may! And on the way home, in the Washington DC airport, I took it out of my suitcase and put it in the little plastic tub with my watch, and the TSA scanner looked over at it as it came through but didn't even pick it up. I really don't think they pose any TSA problem at all.

Made up your mind for your winter camino yet? Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I was in Santiago in July I went to Rua de Caldeireria 48 to buy a template for the Tarta de Santiago. When I purchased it I realised that a securityperson at the airport would look at it and see the resemblence to a knife! I always travel with handluggage so off to the postoffice where the very helpfull postpeople helped me finding a suitable envelope. Mailing the templates cost more than the cost of the templates, but I did not care. I could imagine my future grandchildren finding the templates in my kitchen after my passing away. They will look at eachother and say "oh, this is the templates Grandma used for her special Santiagocake, do you remember how she would go on about walking the Camino. Maybe we should it" It was a lovely thought and when the envelope arrived at my house in Copenhagen, it made me so happy, I smiled all day long. I have the templates and I will bake the Tarta de Santiago and when my guest asks about the cake, I will tell them about the Camino.

I hope crochuntress will have her templates and bake the Tarta and enjoy it with good friends and family.
Thank you! I found the store and am taking home two sets!!

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back