• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tarta de Santiago

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Ingles, Portuguese
Primitivo 2025
Pilgrims arriving in Santiago (or earlier in Galicia) will be familiar with the famous almond tart. But at home my wife and I have a problem: how do you make the 'Cruz de Santiago' the distictive cross of St, James in the centre of the tart? We assume that there is a cut out, but where to get it in North America? Does anyone have any ideas - and also a favourite recipe?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pilgrims arriving in Santiago (or earlier in Galicia) will be familiar with the famous almond tart. But at home my wife and I have a problem: how do you make the 'Cruz de Santiago' the distictive cross of St, James in the centre of the tart? We assume that there is a cut out, but where to get it in North America? Does anyone have any ideas - and also a favourite recipe?
Hi. I googled the cross symbol, downloaded it, enlarged the image and cut it out. Then put it on centre of my tart and dusted the top with thin layer of icing sugar. Removed the template et voila!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
http://www.deliciasdeespana.com/
This is a link to a Spanish restaurant in Miami which also sells Spanish products. It's where I first saw the tarta De Santiago. It was my inspiration to walk the Camino. Very nice owners. I'm certain they will gladly ship one to you. Good luck!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did what a couple of others did: found an image online, enlarged it to the size I wanted, printed it on thick paper, and cut around it. I always push a few straight pins (sewing pins) partway through the paper cross before placing it on the cake. The pins hold it in place while I dust the top of the cake with icing sugar, and they serve as handles for lifting it off of the cake very neatly. Voilà - a nice crisp cross.

I googled 'images of the cross of knights templar' and the cross you want is in the second row on the right, then copied and enlarged, and then laminated the whole page and then cut out the cross. Dead easy. In Santiago you can also buy them in stainless steel, but hard to find, so suggest you ask at the Galician Tourist Office for places to buy it. My recipe is:
Set oven at 180 degrees centigrade
Thoroughly grease with butter 22cm dia pie pan with removable base
280gm of sugar
320gm of ground almonds (or almond meal)
2 heaped teaspoons of cinnamon
1 melted ice block of lemon juice *
5 eggs, mixed but not whipped
Mix dry ingredients thoroughly, add eggs and lemon juice and mix, pour into 22cm dia fluted pie pan, and bake for 40 - 45 minutes at 170 degrees centigrade. Remove from pan when cool.
* When lemons are in season, I but lots, juice and freeze in ice block trays and when frozen put in plastic freezer bags

Here is the recipe formthe one I served two days ago. Many asked for the recipe!

250 grams almond meal
250 grams of sugar
5 eggs
Lemon zest (I used the zest from a whole medium sized lemon and it was a more lemony flavour than on the Camino)
1 tbsp. icing sugar to sprinkle over cross outline
1 chunk unsalted butter to spread on the baking pan (Oil spray is much more handy if you have it)
1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon

You can use a number of essences to give the cake a nice aroma, such as brandy, almond, cinnamon liqueur etc (I stuck to the traditional flavours and did not add any essences)

1 round detachable flan baking pan 22 cm and a paper Santiago cross

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 160deg C (320F)

In a bowl pour the sugar, almond meal, cinnamon lemon zest and other essense used.

Mix ingredients with a fork.

Add the lightly beaten eggs and mix well with a spoon or spatula, but do not whisk, only ensure that all ingredients are mixed. (There are other recepies arund that require you to separate the eggs and beat the whites until firm. This makes for a tasty treat, but also more of a fluffy cake and not a dnse tarta de Santiago).

Grease the baking pan with the butter (oil spray);and pour the mix in.

Bake in the 160 oven for about 50 mins or until lightly golden and centre firm (be careful not to keep the oven too hot, you want a dryish desert, so the crust has to hold out for a long time without burning).

When cold put paper cross on and sprinkle with sieved icing sugar. Remove cross carefully then enjoy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back