• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tarta de Santiago

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
This past spring my wife and I walked the Camino Frances. We met a very nice elderly German fellow that we became good friends with. He has quite a sweet tooth and loved the tarta de Santiago. I would like to send him one for Christmas. Does anyone know of a internet site in Spain that sells them? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Buen Camino a todos!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does anyone have the recipe for Tarta de Santiago. Latienda has a recipe, but they call it Torta de Santiago, and indeed the recipe does seem to be for a cake, rather than a tart. David

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I made my first Tarta de Santiago today, here in Canada. It was delicious! Fun to make and my family loved it too. Reminded me of eating pieces of it along the Camino with friends :). Happy memories!

Then I remembered that I commented on this thread more than a year ago and I thought it would be fun to share a photo!

Rachel

Attachments

• TartadeSantiago (600 x 450).jpg
    TartadeSantiago (600 x 450).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,895
As my wife, Jane, has mentioned elsewhere in this forum, we did our own "Welcome Home" party by inviting friends over for a "Pilgrims Menu." Of course the Tarta de Santiago was a requirement. It turned out to be rather easy to make and was delicious.

The most difficult part was the decorative sword. It took me forever to cut out the template to lay on the tarta. I printed it on a laser printer.

013.JPG

I checked out the tarta recipe on the link (thanks Falcon) and amongst the ingredients it lists "sugar flour". I´ve never heard of it, can anyone enlighten me please? Thanks.
Sandra :arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, yes... the sugar flour!! I looked all over the internet to try and find out what that is! And came across a few other people who'd asked about that exact recipe as well. I found different answers to the question. I read that sugar flour is finely ground flour, I also read that it is flour mixed with sugar, and I also read that it is actually icing sugar! It was confusing and puzzling. And there are several other recipes for Tarta de Santiago online, quite different from each other, so I didn't find an answer there either. I wondered if maybe something got lost in translation of a Spanish recipe into English. (If anyone knows, please say!)

I ended up making the recipe posted on the Canadian Company of Pilgrims website. The only ingredients in it are eggs, sugar (regular sugar ;)) and ground almonds. Someone in a discussion of Tarta de Santiago elsewhere online commented that it is more authentic when made without flour. What I can say is that the recipe I made tasted just like I've had in Spain, and it was a happy surprise how much the texture and feel of it in my mouth was the same!

Here is a link to the recipe: http://www.santiago.ca/tarta.html

One thing I did differently was use fruit sugar (finely ground but still similar to granulated sugar) for shaking on top of the stencil. Next time I will use icing sugar instead. I thought it would be fun to experiment but the fruit sugar was too heavy and dense, and the top of the tart ended up looking like the snowstorm we had here yesterday when I was baking, haha! However, practice makes perfect and in this case, practice will be delicious! (Dennis, yours looks beautiful!)

My husband gave me a cookbook this Christmas with authentic recipes from Spain. One of them was the Tarta de Santiago. Used confectioner's sugar "sifted" through a strainer as the "topping" and my husband downloaded a St. James cross from the internet, cut it out and used it as a stencil. Any way, the cake was absolutely delicious and much fresher than anything we had in Santiago. Especially when served with either Port or Kahlua mixed with a little Bailey's Irish Cream (I know it curdles just a little but it is as close as we could come to the after dinner drink we had in Santiago). A note with the Tarta said that its origins were probably Jewish and associated with Passover.

We also made the garlic soup. YUM!

FYI, if you are using the Canadian Company of Pilgrims recipe, you can get almond "flour" at Trader Joe's in the US, or if you can find Bob's Red Mill products (you might be able to order online), they also sell it, though it is much more expensive than the stuff at TJ's. I usually just buy blanched almonds in the bulk section and food process it down to a flour...but be careful you don't make it a butter! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know it's been a while since this thread was active, but I thought I'd add that I've seen almond flour (AKA almond meal) in bulk at one of the Bulk Barn stores in my city. I recently bought some (MUCH more expensive) at a speciality kitchen shop, only to see it in a huge bulk bin when I went for something else. Go figure.

If the weather here today wasn't going to be almost 40C, I'd be making Tarta de Santiago today--thanks for the links to recipes!

Glad you enjoyed the links! I love making Tarta de Santiago and it's such an easy recipe too!

I arrived in Santiago this morning from my second Camino Frances. On my "to do" list was locate and buy machine washable templates for the St. James Cross used on this iconic cake / tart.

After asking in many baking shops and souvenir shops, one lady told me to go to the Ferreteria on Praza Galicia. That is where the bus stop to go to the train station, bus station, and airport is located.

I located Ferreteria El Horreo on the side of Praza Galicia that faces the old town. The address is Horreos 22, which is on the corner.

Go downstairs to find all the kitchen gadgets. These are hanging on a wall peg directly across from the stairs with other, small baking-related gadgets. The templates come in a set of two. Both are stainless steel. One is about 8 inches long. The other is about 5 inches long. The set costs €5.95.

Of course, you need to be in Santiago to do this. Or, you could ask someone who is or will be here to pick a set up for you.

Bon appetit!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@t2andreao its great that you found these. I bought mine at a shop a couple of streets from the cathedral, and have now used them a couple of times since I have been back home. It is so much better than working with a template made from paper or cardboard.

I arrived in Santiago this morning from my second Camino Frances. On my "to do" list was locate and buy machine washable templates for the St. James Cross used on this iconic cake / tart.

After asking in many baking shops and souvenir shops, one lady told me to go to the Ferreteria on Praza Galicia. That is where the bus stop to go to the carol station, bus station, and airport is located.

I located Ferreteria El Horreo on the side of Praza Galicia that faces the old town. The address is Horreos 22, which is on the corner.

Go downstairs to find all the kitchen gadgets. These are hanging on a wall peg directly across from the stairs with other, small baking-related gadgets. The templates come in a set of two. Both are stainless steel. One is about 8 inches long. The other is about 5 inches long. The set costs €5.95.

Of course, you need to be in Santiago to do this. Or, you could ask someone who is or will be here to pick a set up for you.

Bon appetit!

Thanks, Tom, they are now on my shopping list for when I get to Santiago in July!
And congratulations on finishing your camino, Laurie

Update to last post on this issue. While walking around Santiago today, I located a second source for the identical, 2-piece St. James Cross template for baking.

There is a shop named "Casa Sole" located at #48 Rua da Caldeireria that carries the identical template set for €5.50. The shop sign is yellow, about 24 inches in diameter, and has black letters. The shop is on the right side of the"street" as you head in the direction of Praza Galicia.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tom, I am glad to hear you made it to Santiago. Stay in touch. I depart from SJPdP on Friday 6/6.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's taken me three and a half years to attempt it...but here it is! :cool:

I used this recipe.
http://invitadoinvierno.com/desserts-pastry/tarta-de-santiago-or-st-james-cake/

View attachment 15142

Looks beautiful tyrrek. I've been making them a lot recently, too, it always impresses people when you bring it out with its stencilled and sugared top.

BTW, did you beat the egg whites separately? I've done it both ways, and I have a slight preference for unbeaten egg whites, but they both are yummy. Buen camino, Laurie

@tyrrek Thank you for sharing the recipe and the photo of your beautiful tart! I used your recipe to make one this afternoon and it was heavenly. I used unbeaten egg whites and am glad of it - I prefer the heavier texture than the light and fluffy version :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looks beautiful tyrrek. I've been making them a lot recently, too, it always impresses people when you bring it out with its stencilled and sugared top.

BTW, did you beat the egg whites separately? I've done it both ways, and I have a slight preference for unbeaten egg whites, but they both are yummy. Buen camino, Laurie
Yes, I beat the egg whites until quite stiff, but not so far that they were peaking. Frankly it's still pretty dense, so I'm not sure how much difference it made. I also used the zest of an orange and a lemon, which might have been too much to be 'authentic', but all in all it wasn't bad. How do you best store these and for how long?

Store them? That will need strong will power. :):)
We usually keep ours in a cake box with a good seal, or else cling wrap it if I have made it in a glass dish. They keep well, but we make it to eat rather than store so about 7 to 10 days is the most we have kept one.

Store them? That will need strong will power. :):)
We usually keep ours in a cake box with a good seal, or else cling wrap it if I have made it in a glass dish. They keep well, but we make it to eat rather than store so about 7 to 10 days is the most we have kept one.
Thanks Tia. I also made it to eat, but as I'm on my own most of the time it will take me a day or two!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, I beat the egg whites until quite stiff, but not so far that they were peaking. Frankly it's still pretty dense, so I'm not sure how much difference it made. I also used the zest of an orange and a lemon, which might have been too much to be 'authentic', but all in all it wasn't bad. How do you best store these and for how long?

Well, you did a perfect job, then, because when I beat my egg whites, the cake remained higher on the sides and sunk in the middle so that it was impossible to use the larger stencil. Maybe I beat them too stiffly. Maybe I'm just a bad cook. :) I will try again soon. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back