• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tastes of the Camino

JeepsNRoses

Camino Dreamer
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2017) May 15th SJPdP - Pamplona
CF (2019) Dec 18th Sarria - Santiago
CF (2020) May 17th SJPdP
What are your most memorable tastes, food or drink, on your Caminos?

(I had originally asked about a cookbook I saw in another forum & included a link to it, but the above question seems more appropriate for the veterans and moderators)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was looking for a bit of food nostalgia. Leaving this pub now & heading for the friendly cafe around the corner.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I was looking for a bit of food nostalgia. Leaving this pub now & heading for the friendly cafe around the corner.
What a shame to delete the post because I said something.
I apologize and it would be great if you get prepared for such crazy people like me on your next Camino.

Buen Camino in life.
Michael

Would a moderator please explain what happened here? This thread, as it appears here, is perplexing and incomplete. If some editing has been done, or the OP has been changed after a request to do so, can someone please explain?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It wasn't that at all. I fully plan to enjoy all the Camino has to offer when it's my turn. If we run into one another I'll gladly buy ya one. Didn't seem fair to the cookbook author to link to the fruit of her two passions in a thread that started with criticism and veered off the foodie path. May be a thread for another day.

Ohsuzy,

I did not read your original post, but reading what is left above I am guessing you have seen a cookbook you like, mentiond something along the lines of hoping you would be eating food just as appetising on the Camino and you go the answers you got.

If so, please understand that 90% of Camino food, espcially on the Frances and if you stick to pilgrim menu, is really not a highlight of a Camino, hence the responses you got.

There are a number of threads on eating better on the Forum though. Best tip is to have a large lunch around 3pm, the menu del dia", and a light snack in the evening. Menu del dia is actually eaten by the locals ;0) !
The other is to ask if there is anything then the pilgrim menu in the evening, or to walk the Norte!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Camino villages, the menu del peregrino may be the only thing available, and it will be available (typically) at noon and 7 p.m. The larger cities will have the menu del dia, and it will be available at about 1400 and 2100 (if it is offered in the evening). There is a choice and quality difference between the two! Pilgrims who eat at 2100 are likely to be locked out of their albergue ...

Among the many things that are out of one's control are the Camino and the direction of Forum threads. If you are into control, avoid both. ;)

if anyone is interested, from reading about the book that is no longer mentioned, it is NOT about the menu del peregrino, nor menu del dia, nor generic one size fits all Camino Frances food, with or without fries. It is instead about the regional specialties you would find as you walk through the parts of Spain associated with the Camino Frances. You know, what we say people should look for when wanting good food. It actually sounds quite good, written by a cordon bleu trained chef, so I might spring for the hardback version. OK, back to whatever....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, we had recently a thread about great food on the Camino and I created a PDF resource for the forum which can be found here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/food-finds-on-the-camino-frances.519/ out of the answers.

Personally I have found some great food on the Camino, both in "proper" restaurants and in little village bars. Ok, it helps if you speak Spanish, but simply looking out/asking for something "casero" (homemade/home cooked) is also a good start.

One of my favourite tapas is Morcilla and as every person has their own, secret, recipe (that also varies by the region) it never gets boring for me ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

(I had originally asked about a cookbook I saw in another forum & included a link to it, but the above question seems more appropriate for the veterans and moderators)
Food glorious food!
We have always had the menu del perigrino each evening on the Camino and in towns and villages we've always been given a choice for a starter,main course and desert.
Never been disappointed and often wonder how the proprietor can even make a profit on what they give us...and always with a smile!
10 to 12 euros for a three course meal with a bottle of wine..unbelievably great value and we always look foreward to it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
1) Didn't know there were multiple ways to drink red wine a) straight b) mix with water c) mix with sparkling water. I forget which regions had which preferred approach but remember at one restaurant being told not to put sparkling water with the wine and the day before (different region) was told the only way to drink it was with sparkling water.

2) trout soup - haven't had it anywhere like Spain

3) multiple mama's cooking at some of the small inns or homes that I was fortunate to stay at. The soups were unbelievable

4) anchovy and tomato sandwiches.

5) homemade paella

Solids...White Asparagus from Navarra. Cabrales cheese (strong blue) from Asturias, Queso d'Ocebriero(sic?) slathered with local honey, Jamon from acorn fed wild black boars, tostadas con tomatas.

Category of its own... pulpo in Mélida.

Liquids...Alberiño, Alvherino, Vino Verde, Ferreira Port any age, Pacharan along side mint tea, wines from Bierzo made with Mencia grapes (near Villafranca Del Bierzo and Cacabelos ) and Ribero Del Douro reds from both sides of the Portuguese border with Spain

Best Camino meal was in a restaurant just north of Matosinhos on the CP. Not sure of the proper name spelling but mariscos con arroz. It included a tomato based sauce with rice and an encyclopedia full of fresh seafood.

To name a few.
PS I don't read cookbooks. Prefer to talk to the cooks where I stop...and ask questions.

Burn Camino
Jim

Hi, we had recently a thread about great food on the Camino and I created a PDF resource for the forum which can be found here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/food-finds-on-the-camino-frances.519/ out of the answers.

Personally I have found some great food on the Camino, both in "proper" restaurants and in little village bars. Ok, it helps if you speak Spanish, but simply looking out/asking for something "casero" (homemade/home cooked) is also a good start.

One of my favourite tapas is Morcilla and as every person has their own, secret, recipe (that also varies by the region) it never gets boring for me ;-)

Buen Camino, SY
Hello Sy,

Have you tried the Morcilla in San Juan Dortega? I grew up on the British version (simply blood/black pudding) but found the Spanish version more lively. Great with a chilled crianza (Bierzo)

Jim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
if anyone is interested, from reading about the book that is no longer mentioned, it is NOT about the menu del peregrino, nor menu del dia, nor generic one size fits all Camino Frances food, with or without fries. It is instead about the regional specialties you would find as you walk through the parts of Spain associated with the Camino Frances. You know, what we say people should look for when wanting good food. It actually sounds quite good, written by a cordon bleu trained chef, so I might spring for the hardback version. OK, back to whatever....

I don't beleive anyone thought the book was about what is actually served on the Camino, and that is exactly the pointed of the responses: whilw certain dishes are delicious regionals specialties don't expect to catch a glimpse of any of them while on the Camino, unless you search hard and/ or ask.

If the book was about regional sepecialties in areas the Norte goes through then things would be very different.

On the Frances, other than a morcilla bocadillo in San Juan de Ortega or the pulpo in Melide, I never saw a regional dish, and neither of these were on a pilgrim menu.

@Jacobus
I did try every version, over many years, on the Camino - plain Morcialla, Morcilla with Aorroz (Rice), Morcially with pine nuts - loved them all ;-) SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
... On the Frances, other than a morcilla bocadillo in San Juan de Ortega or the pulpo in Melide, I never saw a regional dish, and neither of these were on a pilgrim menu.

You didn't take a close look then, did you? Tasty regional dishes are available on the CF if you ask for them! Buen Camino, SY

@Jacobus
I did try every version, over many years, on the Camino - plain Morcialla, Morcilla with Aorroz (Rice), Morcially with pine nuts - loved them all ;-) SY
if we ever share a camino, I promise you may have all of my morcilla...I'll trade for any of your pulpo:)

The question was not confined to the "pilgrim menus" (which I never eat) or the Camino Frances.

Here are just a few that spring to mind from my particular "taste" memories on various caminos:

In the Basque country, piperrada (absolutely delicious), pimientos rellenos, idiazabel sheeps milk cheese, bacalao croquettes, from Asturias white bean stew with various meats, in Navarra the fat white asparagus, in Burgos morcillas and sheep's kidneys in red wine, cherries and figs in Bierzno.....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, I don't mind eating bugs...so far I've done crickets, worms, grubs, spiders, and my favorite (really, quite tasty) were these inch long ants from South America...it's them eating me alive that makes me shudder...(perhaps guilt?:confused: over finding them so tasty)

as she shudders and goes back to putting up Halloween/Day of the Dead decorations:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Suziq -

My top three favourites are (1) Peppers Padron, and, having a sweet tooth - (2) Flan and of course (3) Tarta de Santiago. I had enjoyed Flan ever since I was a child - it's known as Crème Caramel here in Australia and it's very popular with home cooks, but Peppers Padron and Tarta de Santiago were new to me on my camino in 2012 and I couldn't get enough of them!

Here's a pic of the Peppers Padron - so delicious! :

Have a wonderful Camino next year - may each day bring you fabulous food discoveries which will become special memories.

Take joy in every step and in every moment on those ancient and magical paths.

Cheers - Jenny

Last edited:
The EGGS in Spain are amazing! Nothing here compares! Those are some happy chickens! Also the olives. I can't find anything like them here in Canada. Oh and the lentil soup with chorizo. Some many good food memories...I have tried to replicate many of the recipes since I have been home...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
if we ever share a camino, I promise you may have all of my morcilla...I'll trade for any of your pulpo:)

Nops, not going to happen - I keep the pulpo also ;-) But you can have all my desserts - I am not a sweetie ;-) Buen Camino, SY

The first meal I had over the border in Portugal was probably my best memory of the food!

Seriously though, for the first week or so the food is pretty good. Had very nice tapas in Pamplona.

Hi Suziq -

My top three favourites are (1) Peppers Padron, and, having a sweet tooth - (2) Flan and of course (3) Tarta de Santiago. I had enjoyed Flan ever since I was a child - it's known as Crème Caramel here in Australia and it's very popular with home cooks, but Peppers Padron and Tarta de Santiago were new to me on my camino in 2012 and I couldn't get enough of them!

Here's a pic of the Peppers Padron - so delicious! :

Have a wonderful Camino next year - may each day bring you fabulous food discoveries which will become special memories.

Take joy in every step and in every moment on those ancient and magical paths.

Cheers - Jenny
I like to garden, but not grow food...however I make three exceptions. I grow figs and pomegranates for me and the birds, and since returning from SPain...Pimentos de Padron. I think if I were able to grill pulpo to go with, life would be perfect. My flan was already pretty good before Spain, but I was happy to sample the works of others:rolleyes:...I am afraid to try torte de Santiago, although in theory it is very similar to a Iraqi cookie (in ingredients and instructions) I learned to make. but cakes intimidate me:eek:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@anemone del Carmino have you found the food on el Norte to be better?
I will say, it is probably nearly impossible to have bad food on the Norte...at least for seafood lovers. Even so, I think I read somewhere that there are more highly rated restaurants there (maybe San Sebastian?) than anywhere else. Might not be true. This may in part be aided by the fact that it is a very economically robust area, with lots of tourism (high paying tourists, not pilgrims). That said, I found plenty of great food on the Frances, I think the mind=set of some who walk that route particularly is 'cheap food-cheaper bed-even cheaper wine' all in the name of a party experience. So it takes a little less effort (but not much) to eat well on the Norte.

I loved: the padron peppers, the potatoes bravas, the alberino wines, the caldo verde in Portugal, the jamon. It was also noteworthy how delicious something as simple as a bocadillo can be after a very long, warm walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.