• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taxi/ bus to Gernika to get there in time before the peace museum closes

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances- 2017
Santiago- Finisterre (2018)
I am walking the Camino Norte from San Sebastián in April and really would like to visit the peace museum in Gernika which seems to close at 3pm at the weekends. From the walk profile from markina xemein- Gernika I am not sure I would make it in time! Might anyone be able to offer advice on a good place to stop and pick up a taxi or bus to finish the journey on that day to make up the time?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How about splitting that stage and not walking all the way to Gernika from Markina? There are a number of towns in between that you could stop in. Then the next day you could have a short walk into Gernika with plenty of time to visit the museum.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you both for taking the time to reply! I should re look at my plans as I do really want to visit the museum- any best options for town/ accommodation to break up the route?

In 2019, I stopped at Albergue Andiketze in Olabe. It didn’t open till 3.00 but there was a nice bar where I had lunch on a balcony just down the hill. It was one of my favourite albergues. The evening meal and breakfast were very good. There is a large balcony with great views - good photo on Gronze. Walk into Gernika short and pleasant. Would give you plenty of time for sight seeing. The tourist information near the plaza were very helpful.

I am walking the Camino Norte from San Sebastián in April and really would like to visit the peace museum in Gernika which seems to close at 3pm at the weekends. From the walk profile from markina xemein- Gernika I am not sure I would make it in time! Might anyone be able to offer advice on a good place to stop and pick up a taxi or bus to finish the journey on that day to make up the time?
Hi, Last September I walked from the Albergue Usandi in Bolibar which is about 5k after Markina, to Gernika in 4 hours. I spent a wonderful couple of hours in the peace museum that day. Hope this helps. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back