• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taxi from Porto Airport to City Center

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
Since my flight will be arriving at dinner hour, I prefer not to take buses and navigate streets alone with my backpack. Are taxi fares generally regulated and can I expect easy , fair service from the airport. Heading to The Poet's Inn on 9/9 , it looks like approx 7 miles ...I realize there is a bus, but after 12+ hours of traveling airports, I think I just want to hit my bed...lol

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We took the metro—right at the airport, quick to get downtown and cheap. Faster than a taxi. We were only two blocks from the metro station. You may have a different situation.

Well, I'm not a 'we'. I'll be traveling alone and arriving about 7:45pm. Could get myself downtown, then have to navigate unknown streets at the end of a long day alone...not really a fan of that plan. I'm resolved to taking a taxi, just to get to exactly where I'm meant to be without stress after traveling a long day. My question is, are the fares regulated and fair? Have also seen sites to reserve airport taxis and wondered if that was necessary. The distance is approx 7 miles, so shouldn't be huge, willing to pay but not willing to get taken or haggle. Just looking for info.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My question is, are the fares regulated and fair?

Hi, yes, the taxis are regulated. See this helpful info:
https://localporto.com/travelling-by-taxi-in-porto/

There is a taxi rank at the airport; just join the queue to wait for the next available registered taxi. It will have a metre. Expect to pay at least 25 euros.

But just for the record, the airport bus, Line 601, terminates about 100m from The Poets Inn, on Rua do Dr Ferreira da Silva, in Cordoaria. The bus fare is 1.95 euros, and the journey takes about 40 minutes.
http://www.stcp.pt/en/travel/lines/?linha=601&sentido=1&t=horarios

That area, Torre dos Clérigos, is perfectly safe in the evenings. There will be lots of locals and tourists out promenading and dining.

Hope that helps.
Jill

As said above, you should not have any issues finding the taxi rank and getting a registered one to take you to the Poet's Inn.

Be tranquil, Porto stays awake and busy until very late, and the region you will be is perfectly safe.

If you are into books (which sounds like), do not miss the chance to visit Lello Bookstore, just 100m fro m your hotel. It's a lovely old shop, which became famous for being one of the favourite places of J. K. Rowling (author of Harry Potter) and for its double spiral staircase. The place gets quite busy, so visit early!

Uber works great in Porto. Have used it on 2 trips. Just use the app from the airport.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are into books (which sounds like), do not miss the chance to visit Lello Bookstore, just 100m fro m your hotel. It's a lovely old shop, which became famous for being one of the favourite places of J. K. Rowling (author of Harry Potter) and for its double spiral staircase. The place gets quite busy, so visit early!

FYI, you have to pay €5 to enter this bookstore (refunded if you buy a book).

As said above, you should not have any issues finding the taxi rank and getting a registered one to take you to the Poet's Inn.

Be tranquil, Porto stays awake and busy until very late, and the region you will be is perfectly safe.

I've got that bookstore on the list of things to see in Porto !

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back