• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

taxi from Santiago to Ponferrada

Rita56

Time of past OR future Camino
HELP!!!! Starting our Camino on Tuesday. Was going to get a train from SAntiago to Ponfederra at 18.35. Just discovered its full. Panicing as we have accommodation booked in Ponfederra and are starting to walk the next morning.
dOes anyone know how much a taxi would be? THere are 5 of us. Our flight gets in at 15.30 on Tuesday. Please help!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
HELP!!!! Starting our Camino on Tuesday. Was going to get a train from SAntiago to Ponfederra at 18.35. Just discovered its full. Panicing as we have accommodation booked in Ponfederra and are starting to walk the next morning.
dOes anyone know how much a taxi would be? THere are 5 of us. Our flight gets in at 15.30 on Tuesday. Please help!!

As a general guide, plan on about 1 euro a km. Ponferrada is about 200 km from Santiago. You might be able to bargain down a bit because it's a good fare. But you're going to have to find a cab that will take five, which may be hard. Good luck with this, Rita. Let us know how it works out. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Have you checked buses?

EDIT -- I checked the buses (bus co. is ALSA and it has a website). On Tuesday your option would be a bus that leaves Santiago at 9:30 pm and arrives at 1:15 am. There are several morning buses, but after the 3 pm bus there seems to be nothing till 9:30.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a general guide, plan on about 1 euro a km. Ponferrada is about 200 km from Santiago. You might be able to bargain down a bit because it's a good fare. But you're going to have to find a cab that will take five, which may be hard. Good luck with this, Rita. Let us know how it works out. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Have you checked buses?

EDIT -- I checked the buses (bus co. is ALSA and it has a website). On Tuesday your option would be a bus that leaves Santiago at 9:30 pm and arrives at 1:15 am. There are several morning buses, but after the 3 pm bus there seems to be nothing till 9:30.

Thank you so much for all your help. Will let you know the outcome.

Empresa Freire operates buses from Santiago Airport to Lugo.
http://www.empresafreire.com/html/castelan/seccion3a.php

Gonzalez de la Riva provides bus service from Lugo to Ponferrada. Unfortunately they do not publish their schedule so you would have to contact them to determine if there is a bus after Empresa Freire gets you there.
http://gonzalezdelariva.es/Index.html#

edit - just found this schedule under Concello de Becerrea. Unfortunately the only bus that will work only goes as far as Piedrafita do Cebreiro. Perhaps a taxi would work from here ...
http://www.concellodebecerrea.com/m...IVA_HORARIO_LUGO-NAVIA_DE_SUARNA_E_ANEXOS.pdf

Renfe has a trenhotel from Lugo to Ponferrada. The 1924 is full but there is another at 2252.
http://www.renfe.com/

If all else fails the ALSA bus from Santiago arrives at Lugo at 0010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all so much for your help. I have booked ar taxi with sun transfers.com for 263€ which the 5 of us are happy to pay.
Thanks again for taking the time to help someone I need.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just back from our Camino. (Ponfederra - Santiago). We had a fantastic time despite the blisters, the sore knees, the prickly heat rash and the cold sores. A time for reflection, peace, petition and freedom. So fortunate to be in a position to walk part of the Camino. I salute those to do the complete Camino in one go. I have nothing but admiration for you. Thanks to all the people who made our Camino special; all the lovely pilgrims we had the privilege of meeting on route, the people who worked in the Albergues, the waiters/waitresses in the eating establishments and also the lovely girl who booked our bags on with Aer Lingus. A massive thank you. Lastely but not least of all thank you to all the lovely people on this forum who came to my help with all your advise and guidance. It was invaluable.

Just back from our Camino. (Ponfederra - Santiago). We had a fantastic time despite the blisters, the sore knees, the prickly heat rash and the cold sores. A time for reflection, peace, petition and freedom. So fortunate to be in a position to walk part of the Camino. I salute those to do the complete Camino in one go. I have nothing but admiration for you. Thanks to all the people who made our Camino special; all the lovely pilgrims we had the privilege of meeting on route, the people who worked in the Albergues, the waiters/waitresses in the eating establishments and also the lovely girl who booked our bags on with Aer Lingus. A massive thank you. Lastely but not least of all thank you to all the lovely people on this forum who came to my help with all your advise and guidance. It was invaluable.
Did the Sun Transfers taxi turn up? Am thinking of booking with them for a few weeks from now to do this same journey to Ponferrada.

Did the Sun Transfers taxi turn up? Am thinking of booking with them for a few weeks from now to do this same journey to Ponferrada.
Sarah Jane,
This thread is 6 years old and probabley will not be answered by the OP or anyone who may have taken that taxi.
However the link still works. You might use it to determine a current price.

Happy planning and Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back