• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taxi or bus bypass around Leon

OTH86

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x 2, 2017, 2021, 2022
About mid-May I will be nearing Leon, and would prefer to bypass it and all its outskirts this time. Would appreciate any suggestions and / or tips to make this bypass - possibly taxi or local bus that does not go into Leon. I'm thinking of trying to get from Mansillas de las Mulas to Fresno del Camino. Have just read the reviews about the wonderful church in La Virgen del Camino, but think this time I would prefer to restart walking in Fresno towards Villar de Mazarife. Thanks for your help!!
Terry

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
bypass - possibly taxi or local bus that does not go into Leon
ALL buses go to Leon; that is where their customers are. You could hire a taxi before Leon and tell the driver that you want to bypass Leon without going through it. He will be able to take highways that bypass the city center area. I suspect you will get an odd look from him, though.:)

ALL buses go to Leon; that is where their customers are. You could hire a taxi before Leon and tell the driver that you want to bypass Leon without going through it. He will be able to take highways that bypass the city center area. I suspect you will get an odd look from him, though.:)
Thanks, Falcon! Odd looks can start wonderful conversations!! ~ ~ IF my pathetic Spanish is up to it!! ;-)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try plotting your own walking route on Google maps via small roads from Mansillas de las Mulas to Fresno del Camino. Another possibility is to ask how to do it at the Mansillas municipal albergue, Calle de Puente 5, which is also the tourist bureau. Laura Barredo and her father are the helpful hospitaleros.

MM

Please ~ I'm really interested in getting a few tips and hearing some constructive ideas on how I can avoid Leon. I'm thinking someone has gotten themselves from Mansillas de las Mulas to Fresno del Camino without going thru the city. I AM open to all manner of locomotion. I just want to avoid the city. ;-) Thanks all - awaiting your great ideas!
Terry

Dear Mr. Keith John Chammings,

Thank you for your reply. It reminded me of something I left behind on my recent camino: caring and carrying with me thoughtless criticism from others who are clueless about my circumstances. I think I left that burden in Ponferrado, where I boarded a train to Sarria.

Cheers.
Leaningforward, I was following your WONDERFUL fork in the road thread, and am SO happy you had such a wonderful ending to your Camino!
Cheers & blessings back to you!
Terry

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The walk out of Leon is actually quite nice..several cafes for a cafe con leche and pan. I think Leon is quite nice..stayed there for several days waiting for my son to meet me there from the States. The bus outside of the city is across from the Mcdonalds coming from The Parador Hostal San Marco (where the folks from The Way stayed..Hans, etc.). I'm not sure why Leon gets such a bad rep..I found it delightful and starting from SJPP it was a nice break.
Buen Camino my friend

The walk out of Leon is actually quite nice..several cafes for a cafe con leche and pan. I think Leon is quite nice..stayed there for several days waiting for my son to meet me there from the States. The bus outside of the city is across from the Mcdonalds coming from The Parador Hostal San Marco (where the folks from The Way stayed..Hans, etc.). I'm not sure why Leon gets such a bad rep..I found it delightful and starting from SJPP it was a nice break.
Buen Camino my friend
Thank you so much, Compliance51, for adding the kind words about Leon. I enjoyed the brief time I was there last year - the cathedral, at the moment the lights were turned on, was incredible! I simply am not a city person -- particularly following days of walking in the quiet countryside of Spain. I DO rather like MM's suggestion of just finding my own way thru the back roads -- but am a little unsure of myself if I get off the Camino -- silly thought, but there we are - I have faith that the Camino will provide - alas, I'm conflicted. And I have from SJPP to screw up my courage, and will decide when I set out from wherever I stay on the east side of Leon.
Buen Camino to you too, C-51
Terry

Last edited:
Terry,
Let's get to your question. I took the train in from Sahagun and from what I saw on the train I didn't miss much. I did stay in Leon but if you walk up to the main square you can take a municipal bus which will drop you outside the city. Unfortunately (unless you take the long way round) from there about the first 40% of the way to Astorga is pretty drab. Once you get to Hospital de Orbigo things get "caminoish" again. If you took the first train from Sahagun you could make Astorga quite easily. Hope this helps

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
About mid-May I will be nearing Leon, and would prefer to bypass it and all its outskirts this time.
This is for you, and only you, to decide.

In 2009, I stayed in a small hotel 6-7 kms before Leon (feet crushed due to miscalculation of distance...:oops:) There was heavy roadwork going on then and pilgrims were warned about traffic dangers, so the next morning I took a bus into the city, passing 6-7 kms of dull suburban area. I am glad I did.

This year I have better time, and no reports of dangers, so I shall walk that dull stretch. But I understand you perfectly. In medieval times there were no traffic jams and heavy-duty road-building machines...;)

Remember, it is your camino: Do what fits you.

This is for you, and only you, to decide.

In 2009, I stayed in a small hotel 6-7 kms before Leon (feet crushed due to miscalculation of distance...:oops:) There was heavy roadwork going on then and pilgrims were warned about traffic dangers, so the next morning I took a bus into the city, passing 6-7 kms of dull suburban area. I am glad I did.

This year I have better time, and no reports of dangers, so I shall walk that dull stretch. But I understand you perfectly. In medieval times there were no traffic jams and heavy-duty road-building machines...;)

Remember, it is your camino: Do what fits you.
Thanks so much, Alex, for sharing your experience - even tho' it mayn't have been the best for you! I like to hear other peoples experiences, and get different perceptions - to file away until the time comes to make a more "informed" decision. I WILL do it my way... Well -- with "advice" from the Camino, that is... I've had a little grief when I haven't paid attention... ;-)
Terry

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My experience which was great but won't get you to Villar Mazarife?but Astorga. Stay in El Burgo , great Albergue-get there early. Very early train next am (but Cafes are open for early breakfast) into Leon train station, walk 5 mins (less-I ran it) catch bus (get a ticket first!) arrive Astorga in plenty time to walk to Foncebadon that day But don't eat in Astorga , wait until you get to that fabulous/famous cafe for French Toast (what is it called in Spain?)...I also have some advice re walking back roads but will look up some advice first.
UnaDara

Terry
If you intent on transport, a Taxi can take you to Fresno on a route that is 29km and will avoid Leon if you can ask them BUT I liked MM proposal so went on Via Michelin, you might create an alternative route if you were to walk. It looks very pleasant, 29km, you can print out a very detailed directions, when you put in your 2 places on Via there is a walking man so what you get is a walking route, it is on roads but looks like small roads beside the river for much of the route. The Camino route goes North into Leon and comes back South again to Hospital, the "via" route does not go so far North and I imagine would cut out 1/2 stages?. Interesting.

If you walk from Leon, across the river and to the train station, there is a public bus stop across the street. Here, every morning, you can catch a bus to Virgen del Camino. Plenty of places for breakfast and coffee there, and that's where I like to begin walking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Terry,
Let's get to your question. I took the train in from Sahagun and from what I saw on the train I didn't miss much. I did stay in Leon but if you walk up to the main square you can take a municipal bus which will drop you outside the city. Unfortunately (unless you take the long way round) from there about the first 40% of the way to Astorga is pretty drab. Once you get to Hospital de Orbigo things get "caminoish" again. If you took the first train from Sahagun you could make Astorga quite easily. Hope this helps
Thanks so much for this, indyinmaine - this is the exact way I took last fall - well, almost - I walked from Sahagun to El Burgo Raneros then took the train to Leon, bus to Mazarife, walked to Hospital del Orbigo, and then the bus to Astorga. So this time, I want to walk as much as I'm **able** - especially along the places where I took transport before. This is a really good way (imho) to bypass some long, open space!
Buen Camno!
terry

Terry
If you intent on transport, a Taxi can take you to Fresno on a route that is 29km and will avoid Leon if you can ask them BUT I liked MM proposal so went on Via Michelin, you might create an alternative route if you were to walk. It looks very pleasant, 29km, you can print out a very detailed directions, when you put in your 2 places on Via there is a walking man so what you get is a walking route, it is on roads but looks like small roads beside the river for much of the route. The Camino route goes North into Leon and comes back South again to Hospital, the "via" route does not go so far North and I imagine would cut out 1/2 stages?. Interesting.
Wow - this deserves 2 LIKES, I think! Thanks so much for looking all this up, UnaDara!! I think walking this route south of Leon will be my preferred way -- but will, of course, "consult" with the Camino when I get to the beginning of that deviation!! ~ but then, it looks like the Camino (and friends) have already decided!
Thank you SO much everyone!
Terry

If you walk from Leon, across the river and to the train station, there is a public bus stop across the street. Here, every morning, you can catch a bus to Virgen del Camino. Plenty of places for breakfast and coffee there, and that's where I like to begin walking.
Thanks so much Annie! This goes into my notes for the next time I go through Leon and will stop at Virgen del Camino!
Terry

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Try plotting your own walking route on Google maps via small roads from Mansillas de las Mulas to Fresno del Camino. Another possibility is to ask how to do it at the Mansillas municipal albergue, Calle de Puente 5, which is also the tourist bureau. Laura Barredo and her father are the helpful hospitaleros.

MM
THANK YOU SO MUCH, MM for this suggestion!!! It's now a part of my notes for the upcoming Camino - and certainly a segment to really look forward to!!
Terry

Have to say I walked past that Church at Virgen without a second thought, did take a photo of it's very modern facade, never knew there was anything special about it, and I love my churches...Have to go that way again (obviously not bypass it by bus!).

THANK YOU SO MUCH, MM for this suggestion!!! It's now a part of my notes for the upcoming Camino - and certainly a segment to really look forward to!!
Terry

Terry,

Glad to be of help!

Here is a map made for you. Following the blue route you go directly west from Mansilla de las Mulas to Villar de Mazarife without stopping at Fresno de Camino. Following the longer red route you go from Mansilla to Fresno de Camino and then to Villar de Mazarife.

The choice is yours!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Terry,

Glad to be of help!

Here is a map made for you. Following the blue route you go directly west from Mansilla de las Mulas to Villar de Mazarife without stopping at Fresno de Camino. Following the longer red route you go from Mansilla to Fresno de Camino and then to Villar de Mazarife.

The choice is yours!

Margaret Meredith
Oh thank you, MM!! This, along with Una Dara's Via Michelin, will help make my way south of the city. I will think wonderful things (as I'm walking this part of my Camino) about everyone who has helped with this a very real possibility!!
Cheers to all!
Terry

MM
A good program (actually I guess technically it's a Google applet) I've used to design or plot tracks and routes is milermeter.com. It used to be called gmap-pedometer.com. I use it on my desktop computer (Windows 7) -- I don't know if there is an iPhone or Android app. You can plot a track, generate a rudimentary elevation profile, and print maps at whatever scale is convenient. Be sure to save the routes you develop for later reference. I use it all the time for local hikes, and it was really great when I was plotting training hikes for our Camino. For example, here's one of our training hikes -- it's marked in miles, but just hit the button in the menu panel for metric: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5760872. If you use the satellite view and zoom in, you can actually trace your route on whatever road or track you use, then switch to map view for printing. Unfortunately, the only topo database is the USGS map series, so Spanish topo is not available unless someone with better knowledge of the program and local iterations may have more accurate information for what's available in Spain.
Buen Camino,
Jim

Thank you Jim! I looked at this link, but will have to play around a bit to get the hang of it. Looks similar to Geodistance / Draftlogic that I have used occasionally for training walks. It'll all work out!
Terry

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A good program (actually I guess technically it's a Google applet) I've used to design or plot tracks and routes is milermeter.com.
Does milermeter allow you to export the track you create to a gpx file?

Thanks,

Karl

Thank you Jim! I looked at this link, but will have to play around a bit to get the hang of it. Looks similar to Geodistance / Draftlogic that I have used occasionally for training walks. It'll all work out!
Terry

I am old and not in any way technically minded and don't really want to be, but what is wrong or have long distance walkers forgotten how to navigate with simple map and compass. Life should still very simple and uncluttered on a Pilgrimage.

I am old and not in any way technically minded and don't really want to be, but what is wrong or have long distance walkers forgotten how to navigate with simple map and compass. Life should still very simple and uncluttered on a Pilgrimage.
Simple and cluttered are different for different people. I can read maps and use a compass, but I don't find it simple, and the different maps and the compass sure add to clutter (and to the weight of my pack). To me, just looking at my location on on my iPhone MotionGPS app and seeing if I'm on the track I've saved, is about a simple and uncluttered as it gets. I'm not exactly a high tech person, but figuring out how to use the iPhone app certainly enhanced my Camino last fall.

Karl

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am a sextant and star chart guy, just in case I want to walk at night.

It's great to get people out of their closet with discussion even if like you they remain in the dark. You little sextant.

Simple and cluttered are different for different people. I can read maps and use a compass, but I don't find it simple, and the different maps and the compass sure add to clutter (and to the weight of my pack). To me, just looking at my location on on my iPhone MotionGPS app and seeing if I'm on the track I've saved, is about a simple and uncluttered as it gets. I'm not exactly a high tech person, but figuring out how to use the iPhone app certainly enhanced my Camino last fall.

You're so right, Karl. My iPhone not only replaced these inconvenient and clumsy maps, (think of weather, wind or rain) but also dictionary, flashlight, camera and video-corder, compass, altimeter, printed tickets, tourist guides, notebook, pencil and wristwatch, it was my weather station, indicated my position, walking distance, provided me with music, news, lists of albergues, hostals and restaurants; and last, not least: it let me write and send a daily blog to an interested audience back home. And it freed me to give my undivided full attention to my Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ha ha ha ha... T
he irony of your post PANO is not lost on me.... I know you didn't intend it so please don't be offended: ...My iPhone not only replaced... but also dictionary, flashlight, camera and video-corder, compass, altimeter, printed tickets, tourist guides, notebook, pencil and wristwatch, it was my weather station, indicated my position, walking distance, provided me with music, news, lists of albergues, hostals and restaurants; and last, not least: it let me write and send a daily blog to an interested audience back home. And it freed me to give my undivided full attention to my Camino.

@ obinjatoo, I happily laugh along with you at the apparent oxymoron in my post; the true irony here is that all listed items are mentioned as «indispensable Camino carry-alongs» within threads and pack-lists in this very forum. Point being that modern tools not only help to reduce the backpack-weight but simplify the journey ….so that one can pay undivided full attention to the Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Darn! I will not be nearing Leon this May -- more like sometime in the fall. Re-called to work for three months -- maybe that will finance another walk NEXT Spring! Woo-hoo!!
Buen Camino, all!
Terry

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A few weeks ago someone posted directions for an alternative riverside walk into Leon. I cannot now find that post. Can anyone help me with directions for that route? I am trying to avoid the industrial walk in. Thanks!

A few weeks ago someone posted directions for an alternative riverside walk into Leon. I cannot now find that post. Can anyone help me with directions for that route? I am trying to avoid the industrial walk in. Thanks!
Ahaj,

By chance were you reading this thread begun by AnnaKappa describing the alternative riverside walk into Burgos?

MM

Oh thank you, MM!! This, along with Una Dara's Via Michelin, will help make my way south of the city. I will think wonderful things (as I'm walking this part of my Camino) about everyone who has helped with this a very real possibility!!
Cheers to all!
Terry
Did you walk the route south of León? Considering it this time around.

Did you walk the route south of León? Considering it this time around.
Alas, I didn't walk south of Leon in the Fall 2014. But, hopefully, I'll be back on the Camino Spring of 2017, and thanks to you, maybe I'll resurrect this idea! Will you be walking Baztanés and Francés this fall or sooner? Buen Camino! Terry

Alas, I didn't walk south of Leon in the Fall 2014. But, hopefully, I'll be back on the Camino Spring of 2017, and thanks to you, maybe I'll resurrect this idea! Will you be walking Baztanés and Francés this fall or sooner? Buen Camino! Terry
We leave home Aug 15th! Arrive Bayonne 16th and start Baztanés 17th. If all is well at Pamplona, we will continue on Francés again.

We leave home Aug 15th! Arrive Bayonne 16th and start Baztanés 17th. If all is well at Pamplona, we will continue on Francés again.
Oh my goodness!! Well, ¡ BUEN CAMINO ! This gives me even more to think about for next Spring!! Thanks, basquelady! I'll be "monitoring" your walk! Prayers for both of you!
Terry

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hi Basquelady, I arrive Bayonne on the 18th and start walking the Baztanes on the 19th!

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Bon Chemin/Buen Camino
Davey

Hi Basquelady, I arrive Bayonne on the 18th and start walking the Baztanes on the 19th!

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Bon Chemin/Buen Camino
Davey
I'm sure we'll meet then, as we are doing very short stages. Bus to Ustaritz Aug 17th (avoiding concrete path as bad for my back, after spinal fusion last year) then walk to Espelette, Urdax, Ariskun, Berroeta, Venta San Blas, Lantz; then plan on walking to Olague, then bus to Sorauren. Will then walk across to Zabaldika on Francés as we really like the albergue there.

€149,-
I'm sure we'll meet then, as we are doing very short stages. Bus to Ustaritz Aug 17th (avoiding concrete path as bad for my back, after spinal fusion last year) then walk to Espelette, Urdax, Ariskun, Berroeta, Venta San Blas, Lantz; then plan on walking to Olague, then bus to Sorauren. Will then walk across to Zabaldika on Francés as we really like the albergue there.

At present the stages I am thinking of are

Espelette
Urdax
Elizondo
Lantz
Villava
Zariquiegui on Frances or getting the bus to SJPdP from Pamplona to walk over the Pyrenees again

I will look out for you on the Way, anycase
Buen Camino
Davey

Thank you @basquelady and @Davey Boyd for sharing your intended stages! This looks like a great way to begin! Will either of you be blogging or otherwise sharing your walks? I'd love to walk with both of you vicariously!
All the best! Terry

Thank you @basquelady and @Davey Boyd for sharing your intended stages! This looks like a great way to begin! Will either of you be blogging or otherwise sharing your walks? I'd love to walk with both of you vicariously!
All the best! Terry

Hi Terry,
Yes I hope to write up the Baztanes section of my Camino on here when I get back. However, that might be a long time as after I reach Finisterra I am planning to head South and walk the VDLP.
Until then you may be interested in my blog on this forum here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/from-geneva-to-the-end-of-the-world.40650/
Its a day by day blog of my journey from Geneva to Finisterra with pictures (though so far it only covers Geneva to Le Puy and then to St. Jean Pied de Port. You will see that I walk slightly different to most pilgrims (starting late, walking into the evenings often, not booking accommodation, not planning at all and sleeping outside on the trail etc).

Davey

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow! Thanks so much Davey! Looking for different ways to walk the Frances (never omitting the routes in France) next Spring!!
Buen Camino! Terry

Wow! Thanks so much Davey! Looking for different ways to walk the Frances (never omitting the routes in France) next Spring!!
Buen Camino! Terry

If you are looking for different ways to walk the Frances I recommend SJPdP to Leon then the glorious San Salvador to Oviedo, where you pick up the Primitivo to Santiago. Its about 6-7 days longer but stunning! Or, to cut out the very busy Sarria to Santiago section by taking the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada? the Invierno is definitely on my list!

A lot of people who have walked the Frances later walk from Le Puy, either to SJPdP or all the way. Then of course I fully recommend the Geneva route, (Geneva to Le Puy) 350km, which can be done on its own or along with the Le Puy route. Walking in France is very different from Spain, not better or worse just different. And truly beautiful! And the French look after pilgrims too!

I suppose it comes down to just how long have you got to walk?

My dream Camino in Istanbul to Santiago, I feel that what i am doing now is training for that one. One day......!

Davey

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back