• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ride Share Offer from Pamplona to SJPP on May 1, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Is anyone here interested in sharing a taxi from Pamplona to SJPP on May 1?

Does anyone know if buses run on that day? It's a holiday and a Sunday.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It’s very likely that there will be busses but on the ‘Domingos y festivos’ timetable.

According to this it runs ‘todos los días’. The service to Roncesvalles is said not to run on Sundays and Holidays, so if that were the case to St Jean one might have thought it would say so …

But it is Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This taxi company will attempt to pool pilgrims together.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is anyone here interested in sharing a taxi from Pamplona to SJPP on May 1?

Does anyone know if buses run on that day? It's a holiday and a Sunday.
We (my wife and I) will be traveling on Saturday, May 7. I have checked the car rides. I am finding ridiculous prices - 230 Euros (1 way). Do you have a service that you can share that is less expensive --- if the buses are not running that day? Thank you in advance! Betty and Blaine

We (my wife and I) will be traveling on Saturday, May 7. I have checked the car rides. I am finding ridiculous prices - 230 Euros (1 way). Do you have a service that you can share that is less expensive --- if the buses are not running that day? Thank you in advance! Betty and Blaine
I arrived in Pamplona, rechecked my options for getting to SJPP, looked at my Brierly and thought "why not start in Pamplona" and I did. Dropping than tiny distance in no way diminished my Camino. And spending some time in Pamplona was great

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I arrived in Pamplona, rechecked my options for getting to SJPP, looked at my Brierly and thought "why not start in Pamplona" and I did. Dropping than tiny distance in no way diminished my Camino. And spending some time in Pamplona was great
Thank you! We thought about that strategy as well. Having said that...we really liked that first leg in the Pyrenes. However, we got caught in bad weather (rain, sleet and snow), so we did not get the perspective of the view that others did that were more weather fortunate. Hence, I want to give it another shot, and hopefully, we get better weather. Again, thank you for your response. That is always an option to begin in Pamplona - a perfect alternative. Best to you!

Yes, that's an option but my friend wants to begin in SJPP and already has lodging.
But thanks. lol!

I have checked the car rides. I am finding ridiculous prices - 230 Euros (1 way).
By "car rides" do you mean taxis? I'm not sure I would call those prices "ridiculous", although they may be higher than I would want to pay. The drivers will likely not be able to get passengers for the return trip, so the price must cover both ways.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
By "car rides" do you mean taxis? I'm not sure I would call those prices "ridiculous", although they may be higher than I would want to pay. The drivers will likely not be able to get passengers for the return trip, so the price must cover both ways.
Actually, 230 Euros is super high. It is a 45 mile trip one way. That is roughly 275 dollars USD for a 45 mile road trip - one way. The taxi driver can definitely call it a day after one trip. There will be options less than that, I am sure. I just checked UBER and it is 118 Euros...one option. Best to you.

Actually, 230 Euros is super high. It is a 45 mile trip one way. That is roughly 275 dollars USD for a 45 mile road trip - one way. The taxi driver can definitely call it a day after one trip. There will be options less than that, I am sure. I just checked UBER and it is 118 Euros...one option. Best to you.
Did you read @trecile's post #6 in this thread and click on the link? The prices listed there are what I'd expect (and remember) for a distance like Pamplona to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, ie in the €110-140 range.

I wonder where you saw the €230 quote. Was it some kind of superregional/international airport transfer website?

In 2017 my friend and I paid about 100 Euros for a taxi from Pamplona to SJPdP.

Reactions: MTG
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Did you read @trecile's post #6 in this thread and click on the link? The prices listed there are what I'd expect (and remember) for a distance like Pamplona to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, ie in the €110-140 range.

I wonder where you saw the €230 quote. Was it some kind of superregional/international airport transfer website?
Yes. I have seen more information since my original post. But, that is still a high price at 120ish Euros, in my opinion. Now, if that fare is divided between 4 people, then it is more fair. Petrol is usually 4 times higher in Europe than the United States, but that is still a lot of money for a relatively short ride. Personally, I think half that amount is about right. I can guarantee you that at 120 Euros, I would drive that route from Pamplona to SJP de P all damn day - three or four trips a day - if I had that option as a taxi driver. LOL. The problem (of course) is the lack of buses that have been running between the two destinations since the pandemic, most likely. The taxis are taking advantage of that situation, I believe. However, we will make due when we get there - one way or the other. Thanks for the response.

In 2017 my friend and I paid about 100 Euros for a taxi from Pamplona to SJPdP.
50 a piece...okay. More reasonable, but still high. My thoughts...load up that taxi with pilgrims and defray the cost. Thanks for the information.

Yes. I have seen more information since my original post. But, that is still a high price at 120ish Euros, in my opinion. Now, if that fare is divided between 4 people, then it is more fair. Petrol is usually 4 times higher in Europe than the United States, but that is still a lot of money for a relatively short ride. Personally, I think half that amount is about right. I can guarantee you that at 120 Euros, I would drive that route from Pamplona to SJP de P all damn day - three or four trips a day - if I had that option as a taxi driver. LOL. The problem (of course) is the lack of buses that have been running between the two destinations since the pandemic, most likely. The taxis are taking advantage of that situation, I believe. However, we will make due when we get there - one way or the other. Thanks for the response.
Since there are more people wanting taxis to St Jean Pied de Port from Pamplona than there are people wanting to go to Pamplona from St Jean Pied de Port I would think that a lot of taxis have to return empty. Therefore, they need to charge for their time both ways.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Personally, I think half that amount is about right. I can guarantee you that at 120 Euros, I would drive that route from Pamplona to SJP de P all damn day - three or four trips a day - if I had that option as a taxi driver
You may think that half that amount is about right but you will not find such low prices.

Before you give up your day job and start as a taxi driver in Spain, inform yourself carefully about all the conditions you will have to fulfil before you get a licence such as qualifications required and what you have to pay in taxes and social security as an employee or independent worker.

Also note: As far as I know, and I am fairly certain of it, you will cross a national border on your daily three or four trips a day. You may not be allowed to take passengers on your return from abroad. Because SJPP is not in Spain but in France. Google the concept of cabotage or equivalent.

Last edited:
50 a piece...okay. More reasonable, but still high. My thoughts...load up that taxi with pilgrims and defray the cost. Thanks for the information.
I was going to try to arrange a full taxi through the company that I linked to, but I left it too late. It needs to be arranged no less than 5 days before arrival. And we didn't meet any other pilgrims on the train to share with us. We might have been able to if we hung around the station a little longer.

You may think that half that amount is about right that but you will not find it.

Before you give up your day job and start as a taxi driver in Spain, inform yourself carefully about all the conditions you will have to fulfil before you get a licence such as qualifications and what you have to pay in taxes and social security as an employee or independent worker.
I do not have a day job anymore, and I have the money. LOL. I have been traveling abroad to Europe each year since the mid 1980's -- save the last couple years due to COVID. I know how things work there and here. All I am saying is that is a lot of money for a taxi ride. But, it is what it is. We will deal with it accordingly. We speak both French and Spanish, so we can figure things out with the locals once we get there. Or, if there is a bus running one time a day, and we miss it...we will stay the night in Pamplona for old times sakes...and take the bus the next day. There is a lot to see and do in Pamplona, as you probably know as well. My point? 100 Euros plus is a lot for a taxi ride in Pamplona or Switzerland, for that matter, in my opinion unless the cost is divided between 3 or 4 people at that price. Best to you in your travels, and I sincerely appreciate your comments and information. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Google the concept of cabotage or equivalent.
This thread on Tripadvisor is already seven year old but it explains the principle. And it has the advantage that it is in English and not in French or Spanish ... 😶

Taxi from Hendaye station

BTW, I make a distinction between "That's a lot of money for me (or not) who lives and travels in the EU" and "That's a lot of money for the taxi driver who lives and works in Spain".

This thread on Tripadvisor is already seven year old but it explains the principle. And it has the advantage that it is in English and not in French or Spanish ... 😶

Taxi from Hendaye station

BTW, I make a distinction between "That's a lot of money for me (or not) who lives and travels in the EU" and "That's a lot of money for the taxi driver who lives and works in Spain".
You are definitely entitled to your opinion on what is fair or not fair - as I am. Best to you!

Because SJPP is not in Spain but in France. Google the concept of cabotage or equivalent.
Yes, I hadn't thought of that as another reason why the Spanish taxis have to drive back to Pamplona empty. So @B&BTexas assertion that the fare should be half of what it is, is probably correct, but the taxi drive needs to be paid for his/her time on the return trip also, thus making the fare twice what it would be for the same distance in Spain without crossing borders.

€46,-
This page gives estimates on taxi fares for Spain. Pamplona is on the lower end at about 1 euro per kilometer. Pamplona-->SJPdP is about 75 km and an hour and a half (any faster and you will be scared to death). When in a city you generally won't have to wait an hour and a half before getting back to an area where you can start collecting fares again. I estimate fuel cost at 10 euros but maybe that is part of the km cost.

BTW when the ALSA/CONDA bus to SJPdP is in season it runs every day. Depending on the time of day it makes one to four trips daily. At least it did pre-covid.

This page gives estimates on taxi fares for Spain. Pamplona is on the lower end at about 1 euro per kilometer. Pamplona-->SJPdP is about 75 km and an hour and a half (any faster and you will be scared to death). When in a city you generally won't have to wait an hour and a half before getting back to an area where you can start collecting fares again. I estimate fuel cost at 10 euros but maybe that is part of the km cost.

BTW when the ALSA/CONDA bus to SJPdP is in season it runs every day. Depending on the time of day it makes one to four trips daily. At least it did pre-covid.

When does "season" start?

When does "season" start?
Based on my internet searching and seeing schedules on blogs and posts written over a number of years I say roughly the ALSA/CONDA schedule has been:

Jan No service
Feb No service
Mar 14:30
Apr 14:30 17:30
May 14:30 17:30
Jun 10:00 14:30 17:30
Jul 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Aug 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
Sep 10:00 14:30 17:30
Oct 14:30 17:30
Nov No service
Dec No service

Edit: These times have been pretty close for the whole month (i.e., first week to last week of the month). It is approximate though.

Also, I tried for a neat formatting but the forum software had the last say.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This taxi company will attempt to pool pilgrims together.
Perhaps interesting to know for future reference that this is actually not an individual taxi company but a company that coordinates taxi reservations. Quote:

The Teletaxi San Fermin company was founded in 1984 in order to offer a centralized taxi reservation service in Pamplona and the surrounding area. Today, this taxi service covers 99% of all taxis in the area, providing joint service to Pamplona and the surrounding area, with a fleet of 309 vehicles.
So it is THE go-to address when you want to book a taxi from Pamplona.

Perhaps interesting to know for future reference that this is actually not an individual taxi company but a company that coordinates taxi reservations. Quote:

The Teletaxi San Fermin company was founded in 1984 in order to offer a centralized taxi reservation service in Pamplona and the surrounding area. Today, this taxi service covers 99% of all taxis in the area, providing joint service to Pamplona and the surrounding area, with a fleet of 309 vehicles.
So it is THE go-to address when you want to book a taxi from Pamplona.
Yes! For our first camino, we wanted to get to SJPDP from the U.S. without an overnight. We flew to Madrid, took the train to Pamplona, which arrived at 3pm, then used this service to get to SJPDP, arriving in plenty of time to tour the town, pick up our credential and enjoy our communal meal at our albergue. I had communicated with them from the U.S. noting our desire to ride share. There were five of us, so our cost was only 20 euros each. Packed in tight, the five of us became instant peregrino soulmates. While we didn't walk together, we bumped into each other repeatedly, including at the end in Santiago, to hugs, tears and smiles.

I had communicated with them from the U.S. noting our desire to ride share. There were five of us, so our cost was only 20 euros each. Packed in tight, the five of us became instant peregrino soulmates.
Thank you for this feedback. It is so good to hear first-hand reports !!!

When I read on their website that they offer the possibility of ride-share for trips from Pamplona to SJPP, I wondered whether that actually happens or whether it is just words on the website ... so it does really happen. Good to know! ☺️

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for this feedback. It is so good to hear first-hand reports !!!

When I read on their website that they offer the possibility of ride-share for trips from Pamplona to SJPP, I wondered whether that actually happens or whether it is just words on the website ... so it does really happen. Good to know! ☺️
Our rideshare companions were a delightful Spaniard from Valencia, a young Japanese girl and a lady from California, nervous like us about what our first camino.

Yes! For our first camino, we wanted to get to SJPDP from the U.S. without an overnight. We flew to Madrid, took the train to Pamplona, which arrived at 3pm, then used this service to get to SJPDP, arriving in plenty of time to tour the town, pick up our credential and enjoy our communal meal at our albergue. I had communicated with them from the U.S. noting our desire to ride share. There were five of us, so our cost was only 20 euros each. Packed in tight, the five of us became instant peregrino soulmates. While we didn't walk together, we bumped into each other repeatedly, including at the end in Santiago, to hugs, tears and smiles.
I did my CF Sep 2017 with wife and son; we did exactly the same arriving in SJPDP from Pamplona via shared taxi (a 12 seater mini van) early enough (late afternoon) to "tour" the town, get our Credenciales at pilgrims' office and in time for our first perergrino dinner that night at our albergue. No issues at all. Worked out to less than 20 Euros if I remember correctly. We were six I seem to remember.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bumping up my Ride Share post again.
We are looking for someone or two or three to share a taxi from Pamplona to SJPP on May 1, 2022.

Any chance you could do May 2? that's when my daughter and I are planning to go.
Hi there my friend and I are traveling from Barcelona to Pamplona on 2 nd of May . Bus will already be gone by the time we arrive . Is it possible to still share a cab with you and your daughter ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Betty and Blaine,
We have sent you a private message re travelling on Saturday 7th May.
Buen Camino,
Anne & Pat

Are you still interested in sharing a ride? I have just this week posted a request to share a ride from the Pamplona Airport to SJPdP on Saturday, 7 May, after my scheduled 1:00 arrival at PNA from MAD. It looks like reservation may be made with Taxi Pamplona 30 days in advance: it's on my calendar! They can accommodate 8 riders. (my post)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back