• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taxi will be here in 1 hour -Follow my journey on Instagram

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
If I get hold of a SIM card in Lisbon or if I find wifi enough you will be able to follow my journey towards Santiago de Compostela via Instagram.
10268917_386349894897660_229691078_n.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino - I am now following you in Instagram and look forward to seeing all your photos!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Buen Camino Beatrice!

Following with keen interest as may do Portugal next year? Hope you have a truly wonderful journey. :)
Bom Caminho and Buen Camino Beatrice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bon Camino Beatrice!! I start my Camino on September 15th from Lisbon...hopefully, my plantar fasciitis will have calmed down considerably by then. May God bless you and protect you as you walk!

Buen Camino Beatrice. .....Don't go too fast or too slow!!!
My first day was Lisboa-Vilafranca de Xira 44.28 km 8h 52 min. Have no idea why my GPS said 44.28 but the guide 38. Really strange. I walked my normal pace and had short stops. Need to check the log when I'm back home.

My first day was Lisboa-Vilafranca de Xira 44.28 km 8h 52 min. Have no idea why my GPS said 44.28 but the guide 38. Really strange. I walked my normal pace and had short stops. Need to check the log when I'm back home.
Thats an impressive start, whether 38 0r 44km, thats still 9 hours of walking. Buen Camino, Keith.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Beatrice, The difference may have to do with the starting point. Some start at the cathedral, others out at the Parque Nacoes. And based on my own experience with GPS on the Camino Catalan and the Invierno, the differences between and among different GPS devices can be quite significant. Anyway, enjoy your caminho. Where are you staying in Vilafranca?

Hi, Beatrice, The difference may have to do with the starting point. Some start at the cathedral, others out at the Parque Nacoes. And based on my own experience with GPS on the Camino Catalan and the Invierno, the differences between and among different GPS devices can be quite significant. Anyway, enjoy your caminho. Where are you staying in Vilafranca?
I calculated the distance from Cathedral to Vilafranca in Brierley the same I walked. A Portuguese pilgrim I know said that the distance should be 43 (and that seams right as I did a detour/missed a turn and had to go back. There was no marking :-/

I'm staying at hostel DP. Think I'm the only pilgrim here. The rest looks like ordinary tourists. I have a 4 bed room for my self :) Nice place.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bom Caminho - and remember not to walk too far in one day (heeheehee). No more than 99km between sunrise and sunset. And smell the flowers until you sneeze. And don't rattle your bags. And don't carry too much. And don't forget your water. And don't walk when it's too hot. And remember to define "too hot".
You're going to have a blast! Will follow you on instagram.

Bom Caminho - and remember not to walk too far in one day (heeheehee). No more than 99km between sunrise and sunset. And smell the flowers until you sneeze. And don't rattle your bags. And don't carry too much. And don't forget your water. And don't walk when it's too hot. And remember to define "too hot".
You're going to have a blast! Will follow you on instagram.
Whops today i walked over 50 km I'm really hot weather. Have had single room all nights so far. Today in Goléga I'm I'm a 4 star hotel after finding out that a lot of places were closed (even in Azinhaga that was my goal today). Have had an amazing experience today will post about it later and write on Instagram. The trade off between enough water and not to heavy is hard but finding food even harder.

Tomorrow Tomar.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Wow!! Are you wearing jet-propelled shoes?? Just wondering??!

Hello Beatrice,

I'm new to this forum, just planning my trip in the future to come.
Since you start I'm reading your posts, so my thoughts are with you as you are doing the Portuguese road..my trip ( but not to start so down ).
Today I learn something from you about my country..we are so small and I never, never hear that place "Alvaiázere" really though "oh she just type the wrong word"...
nop there is really a place called Alvaiázere.

Have a safe trip :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your stamina amazes me Beatrice!! I'm hoping to walk this Camino starting in September in much shorter segments of 15-20 km daily...hope that will be feasible:) In any event, enjoy and buen Camino!!

Your stamina amazes me Beatrice!! I'm hoping to walk this Camino starting in September in much shorter segments of 15-20 km daily...hope that will be feasible:) In any event, enjoy and buen Camino!!
I met a woman from Holland in Tomar and she is doing that. So it is possible. Yesterday she had to skip a bit of road walking as there is nothing between Tomar and Alvaiázere. You must stop at the albergue in Alvaiázere you get a lovely stamp and the owner is so nice. He can pick you up at Total if you call him. That will remove 8.9 km from the 30.9 stage. You can eat good and for just €10 at O'brás but the owner is very push and tried to make us stay and sleep there.

Hello Beatrice,

I'm new to this forum, just planning my trip in the future to come.
Since you start I'm reading your posts, so my thoughts are with you as you are doing the Portuguese road..my trip ( but not to start so down ).
Today I learn something from you about my country..we are so small and I never, never hear that place "Alvaiázere" really though "oh she just type the wrong word"...
nop there is really a place called Alvaiázere.

Have a safe trip :)
:) And the albergaria have a real beautiful stamp look at my Instagram account http://Instagram.com/Beastankar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wonderful pictures Beatrice and thanks for the info!! I'm going to have to start "following " you on Instagram!! And you're right!! That stamp is particularly beautiful!! Just like the country, the people and the food so I'm told!!

Wonderful pictures Beatrice and thanks for the info!! I'm going to have to start "following " you on Instagram!! And you're right!! That stamp is particularly beautiful!! Just like the country, the people and the food so I'm told!!
I can not say anything about the food. They can't serv me anything as they think to it is gluten in everything. I have a real struggle with the food :-(

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures, Beatrice. It seems you are enjoying the soup in Portugal -- no self-respecting Portuguese would have a meal without soup as a starter!

Lots of pics of dirt paths -- what's your impression on the amount of asphalt? I know that's always one of the concerns for people starting from Lisboa.

Bom caminho, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can eat good and for just €10 at O'brás but the owner is very push and tried to make us stay and sleep there.
That is probably because they are having a very difficult time since the albergue opened last year. Before that, they had all the pilgrim traffic stopping there. Since then, they have had to watch almost everyone going past the front door to the new albergue. They are just trying to make a living.

Wonderful Just like the country, the people and the food so I'm told!!
If you have no special dietary requirements, yes, the food is awesome. My food at the O'Bras was very good but it was also one of the best pilgrim meals we had - certainly before Porto. We shared with several other pilgrims as well as a few tourist who were just learning of the Caminos.

Beautiful pictures, Beatrice. It seems you are enjoying the soup in Portugal -- no self-respecting Portuguese would have a meal without soup as a starter!

Lots of pics of dirt paths -- what's your impression on the amount of asphalt? I know that's always one of the concerns for people starting from Lisboa.

Bom caminho, Laurie
I love soup but got spagetti in it twice even i

Bom caminho, Laurie
I love soup but have had spaghetti in it twice. Even if they have ensured me that it is a vegetable soup with just vegetables. Today I really asked several times and they promised no wheat in the soup. What do they think that pasta is made of! Pasta is mentioned on my card as something I can't eat.

It is a lot of road walking as today. Even the green in Brierley was asphalt with an overgrown small small path on the side. So my 42 km today was a little bit hard on the feet but at least most of it was through villages or nice landscape. A couple of kms on heavy traffic roads. Yesterday and the day before has been the best so far.

That is probably because they are having a very difficult time since the albergue opened last year. Before that, they had all the pilgrim traffic stopping there. Since then, they have had to watch almost everyone going past the front door to the new albergue. They are just trying to make a living.
The albergue opened 2013 according to the owner. And it is OK to ask us when we come but when we answer that we already have a bed I don't think it's so nice to continue telling us to switch and do so twice during our meal as well. The food was super!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bon Camino Beatrice!! I start my Camino on September 15th from Lisbon...hopefully, my plantar fasciitis will have calmed down considerably by then. May God bless you and protect you as you walk!
We are leaving Lisbon on the 9th Sept and for the first two days only doing 13 or so km per day. After that an average of 20 per day so we may meet up. My feet have the same problem. I think it is to do with training with my pack - I have to reduce the weight! Rest seems to be the only thing that helps. Bom Caminho....

I'm praying that you will be getting ONLY vegetables in your soup from now on Beatrice!! Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back