• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting a Taxi & Finding Open Bars/Restaurants Along the Camino from Sarria to Santiago in February

bisdaknars

Time of past OR future Camino
Feb. 2, 2023
Hi Everyone,

How easy (or difficult) is it to get a taxi along the route of the Camino along the route from Sarria to Santiago especially in February where a lot of places are closed? Also, on bars/restaurants, are they open along the route as well?

Thank you all for your responses..:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Trecile,

I’m not sure what you mean by this question..

I guess that what @trecile is referring to is the rule, that you have to walk at least the last 100 kms to Santiago and document it by getting 2 sellos/stamps per day in your pilgrim's credential in order to qualify for a Compostela (issued by the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago).

Got it. So, we are doing the entire walk but might end up taking a taxi on some days due to the distance between hotels. We asked a tour company to help us get accommodations and due to a lot of places being closed, the llaces they booked are far in between. The tour company suggested that if we get tired, we can get a taxi at the town we stop to our hotel that night and then take a taxi back the next day to where we stopped the day before and continue.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok - you specifically asked about the route from Sarria to Santiago which could have confused things a wee bit. As long as you walk the last 100 k and document it, you should be fine.
About the availability of taxis during winter, I'm afraid I can't say much. Hopefully others can.

Ok - you specifically asked about the route from Sarria to Santiago which could have confused things a wee bit. As long as you walk the last 100 k and document it, you should be fine.
About the availability of taxis during winter, I'm afraid I can't say much. Hopefully others can.
Thank you Turga. We don’t plan on skipping any portion of this beautiful walk. We going to walk every feet/meter of it

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Got it. So, we are doing the entire walk but might end up taking a taxi on some days due to the distance between hotels. We asked a tour company to help us get accommodations and due to a lot of places being closed, the llaces they booked are far in between. The tour company suggested that if we get tired, we can get a taxi at the town we stop to our hotel that night and then take a taxi back the next day to where we stopped the day before and continue.
Although a tour company has identified lodging for you, have you double checked it yourself (availability at other places that is)? In my experience, tour companies have favorites based on certain customer parameters which means that some types of places might not be considered. The section of Camino between Sarria and Santiago is full of stopping points for overnights. Although I can’t speak for what might or might not be open in February, but just based on the map, you should be able to find accommodations that aren’t too far from where you want to stop for the day. Therefore, let me suggest that you look at these camino stages on Gronze.com. Although many places link directly to Booking.com, others can usually be easily contacted by email. By doing some further checking, you might be able to find a set of accommodations that more fit your intended travel itinerary. The taxi alternative would be my last choice.

The tour company suggested that if we get tired, we can get a taxi at the town we stop to our hotel that night and then take a taxi back the next day to where we stopped the day before and continue.
That makes sense.
I would also ask the your company if they have numbers for taxi companies.
Thank you Turga. We don’t plan on skipping any portion of this beautiful walk. We going to walk every feet/meter of it
👍

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The advice given is perfectly sound. Providing you return to your previous end point you are most certainly complying with the simple rule.

Pretty much every alternate metal post on the last 100km has a taxi-sticker on it, the providers will be well-used to non-Spanish-speakers and - as above- most bars and accommodation providers will help out.

I hope you have a marvellous time and, perhaps, come to appreciate that you could do it all again without facilitation.

Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Although a tour company has identified lodging for you, have you double checked it yourself (availability at other places that is)? In my experience, tour companies have favorites based on certain customer parameters which means that some types of places might not be considered. The section of Camino between Sarria and Santiago is full of stopping points for overnights. Although I can’t speak for what might or might not be open in February, but just based on the map, you should be able to find accommodations that aren’t too far from where you want to stop for the day. Therefore, let me suggest that you look at these camino stages on Gronze.com. Although many places link directly to Booking.com, others can usually be easily contacted by email. By doing some further checking, you might be able to find a set of accommodations that more fit your intended travel itinerary.
thank you for the response. I will sure to double check. I checked on Booking at potential places where we end for a certain day and there’s usually no availability so that’s why we opted for the tour company. I guess a lot of places are either closed or booked right away due low availability of accommodations. Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes sense.
I would also ask the your company if they have numbers for taxi companies.

👍
Yes they are going to give us phone numbers and also also refund us the cost of the taxi rides. :) by the way, i also posted the question if there’s places (bars/restaurants) to eat along the route at this time of the year? Would you happen to know?

The advice given is perfectly sound. Providing you return to your previous end point you are most certainly complying with the simple rule.

Pretty much every alternate metal post on the last 100km has a taxi-sticker on it, the providers will be well-used to non-Spanish-speakers and - as above- most bars and accommodation providers will help out.

I hope you have a marvellous time and, perhaps, come to appreciate that you could do it all again without facilitation.

Buen camino.
Thank you. Good to know that there’s stickers everywhere for taxi phone numbers. Because of time limits, were just doing this portion for now but for sure will do the entire route in the future.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"I checked on Booking at potential places where we end for a certain day and there’s usually no availability so that’s why we opted for the tour company."

That usually just means that Berking have no allocation which is why direct contact is recommended. But if your tour company is refunding your extras then I guess you may as well go with the ride.

"I checked on Booking at potential places where we end for a certain day and there’s usually no availability so that’s why we opted for the tour company."

That usually just means that Berking have no allocation which is why direct contact is recommended. But if your tour company is refunding your extras then I guess you may as well go with the ride.
Yes thank you. I just can’t wait to start my Camino.

Gronze.com will show you the distance between each town and there is a little icon showing if there is a bar, restaurant, or shop in each on the line with the community name as you scroll down the page. This will be in Spanish, but if you use a Google brower, it will translate to English for you. You can see each stage by toggling forward toward to the next stage at the top of each page. As you can see there are lots of little villages along the way and while some may be closed, the last 100 km is a popular portion of the Camino, so I am certain there will still be several which are open. Buen Camino! It is an exciting time for planning.
https://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ this link is also a site which is updated regularly to show albergues, hotels, hostals which are open in the winter. Although you already have places booked, it helps you see what is available. Not all places take reservations or allocate rooms to Booking.com so you will not find everything available there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gronze.com will show you the distance between each town and there is a little icon showing if there is a bar, restaurant, or shop in each on the line with the community name as you scroll down the page. This will be in Spanish, but if you use a Google brower, it will translate to English for you. You can see each stage by toggling forward toward to the next stage at the top of each page. As you can see there are lots of little villages along the way and while some may be closed, the last 100 km is a popular portion of the Camino, so I am certain there will still be several which are open. Buen Camino! It is an exciting time for planning.
https://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/ this link is also a site which is updated regularly to show albergues, hotels, hostals which are open in the winter. Although you already have places booked, it helps you see what is available. Not all places take reservations or allocate rooms to Booking.com so you will not find everything ava

Thank you.

We have walked 300+ km five different times in the winter on different routes. On three of these trips, due to health or injury one or two members of our group have had to use taxis in the overlapping fashion you describe.

No one in our group has ever had a problem getting a taxi. Ask the place you are staying, a bar or restaurant, or the local TI to call a taxi. We’ve never bothered to try to find taxi phone numbers. The local people know the taxi situation much better than we would.

We have walked 300+ km five different times in the winter on different routes. On three of these trips, due to health or injury one or two members of our group have had to use taxis in the overlapping fashion you describe.

No one in our group has ever had a problem getting a taxi. Ask the place you are staying, a bar or restaurant, or the local TI to call a taxi. We’ve never bothered to try to find taxi phone numbers. The local people know the taxi situation much better than we would.
Hi Traveler, thank you for your response, good to know that there’s taxis everywhere.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back