• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taxis from Pamplona

Maria Jo

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2019)
T minus 5 days and counting to my first Camino. Getting really excited!! I’ll be taking a train from Madrid to Pamplona but I see that the bus from Pamplona to SJPdP only runs 2x daily and the schedule doesn’t work very well for my arrival time. Will it be easy for me to find a taxi from the train station? Any particular company or program that you’d recommend? (in the US I’d be using Uber) or do I simply walk outside and find taxis all over the streets (as in many cities)? Also, approx time of travel by car from Pamplona to St Jean and cost? Sorry if these sound like silly questions but I’m completely unfamiliar with the country! Any other info or helpful tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Maria Jo...

When looking at transport options from Pamplona to SJPdP, I found this taxi company in Pamplona. They specialize in transporting pilgrims from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

You make your reservation online, by email, or by phone. You tell them your arrival location for pick up. During the reservation process, you can choose an option stating that you want to share a taxi with others going to SJPdP. The fare is shared by all the passengers. The company will then work to schedule a full taxi for you.

If they already have a taxi scheduled to travel to SJPdP near your time of arrival in Pamplona, and that taxi still has a seat available, they can reserve a seat on that taxi for you.

While riding the train walk the aisles looking for pilgrims. They are easy to find; most will not be speaking Spanish. See what you can arrange. If you get only one pilgrim grab a taxi and go to the bus station. Your new friend stays with the cab. You may find more pilgrims at the bus station. Kidnap them. Get ransom. Use the money so you and your cohort can travel to SJPDP in uncrowded comfort. Tip the cabbie well and add more if he promises not to testify.

Edit:
The PLM bus line website shows that it has Tuesday and Friday service from Pamplona to a village right on the border with Arneguy, France. You could then start walking the camino from there or walk a couple of hours to SJPDP (or taxi) and then walk it back the next day.

https://www.plmautocares.com/horarios/

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Maria Jo...

When looking at transport options from Pamplona to SJPdP, I found this taxi company in Pamplona. They specialize in transporting pilgrims from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

You make your reservation online, by email, or by phone. You tell them your arrival location for pick up. During the reservation process, you can choose an option stating that you want to share a taxi with others going to SJPdP. The fare is shared by all the passengers. The company will then work to schedule a full taxi for you.

If they already have a taxi scheduled to travel to SJPdP near your time of arrival in Pamplona, and that taxi still has a seat available, they can reserve a seat on that taxi for you.
Thanks so much Davebugg!

Last Sept, after an upsetting missed flight with Iberian Air, my hiking buddy and I took a train to Pamplona. We met another pilgrim on the train, picked up a fourth in the train station, walked out front and hailed a taxi. They are waiting for you. 90 minutes and 95 E later we were in SJPP. The ride is much like the Mad Hatter ride in Disneyland; to fast and too many 180 degree turns. But it got us there after a frustrating day.

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back