• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taxis, insurance & money questions

DeeLove

Time of past OR future Camino
None yet.
Hello,

I'm very new at posting in this forum, although I have been following it for months. I'm heading to Spain this coming Monday and I'm finalizing some last minute things. I'm doing the last 100km from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. So, here's my questions...

1. Do most stores, restaurants etc take credit cards? Or, are euros preferred?
2. I'm wondering how to get a taxi to get to my hotel or other places, how I find one? How do you pay the drivers? Does Spain also have uber?
3. Does travel insurance cover you if you have any type of medical issue? Or, can I use my own health insurance from home in the US?

Thank you all in advance for your responses.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
1. Yes, but it's handy to use cash in small shops and for small purchases e.g. drinks, so maybe carry 50-100 euros in small notes. You can take it out from am ATM (but there's a charge). It also means you can leave small change as a tip.
2. Taxis are metered, just like everywhere else. I think a lot of towns in Spain do not have uber, but you don't need it. Taxis are fine.
3. Travel insurance should cover for medical expenses (depends on the policy but pretty well all do). Almost certain your US health insurance won't work overseas, but ask them anyway.
Buen camino

1. Yes, but it's handy to use cash in small shops and for small purchases e.g. drinks, so maybe carry 50-100 euros in small notes. You can take it out from am ATM (but there's a charge). It also means you can leave small change as a tip.
2. Taxis are metered, just like everywhere else. I think a lot of towns in Spain do not have uber, but you don't need it. Taxis are fine.
3. Travel insurance should cover for medical expenses (depends on the policy but pretty well all do). Almost certain your US health insurance won't work overseas, but ask them anyway.
Buen camino
Dick,

Thank you for this information. As I get closer, I'm getting excited, but anxious that I may not know all I need to. This really helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Uber is widely available in the big cities and Madrid airport of you are arriving there. But plenty of metered taxis around also.
ATM is best way to get some euros. That way you have it for those spots that do not take credit.

Uber is widely available in the big cities and Madrid airport of you are arriving there. But plenty of metered taxis around also.
ATM is best way to get some euros. That way you have it for those spots that do not take credit.
Perfect. Thank you

Almost certain your US health insurance won't work overseas, but ask them anyway.
Many US health insurance plans will pay for medical expenses abroad, but you need to pay the fee up front and then file for reimbursement. They typically will not cover 100%, so it's a good idea to have a travel insurance plan that will pay the portion that isn't covered. Of course you should call your health insurance plan to see what their policy is.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you buy your ticket with a credit card, that may, I repeat may provide free automatic travel insurance. Worth checking out.

Many US health insurance plans will pay for medical expenses abroad, but you need to pay the fee up front and then file for reimbursement. They typically will not cover 100%, so it's a good idea to have a travel insurance plan that will pay the portion that isn't covered. Of course you should call your health insurance plan to see what their policy is.
Thank you.

I'd get a Mondial Assistance travel policy. It's not expensive and will cover a sanitary evacuation back to the US in case of serious injury or illness; which can easily break the bank. Routine medical care is relatively cheap in Spain, and you'd be surprised how helpful medics can be to pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had blood in my urine and went to a local clinic which told me I had to go to a bank and pay a medical fee before they would even see me. Then the clinic told me that they don't do tests on site, and the results would not come back for many days.
I then went to what appeared to be a small ER. They did not even want to check my urine, but did so after much urgent by myself. However, they also could not do any further testing without it taking days to get the results.
I then finally went to a larger, ER, similar to what we are used to in the United States. They were able to do all the tests and x-rays. They diagnosed me with bladder stones secondary to dehydration.
So now I know, if I am ill enough to where I likely need bloodwork or x-rays done, go straight to a big ER. An important message to keep in mind.

While most taxis are metered, taxis from Madrid airport are fixed price (€30 last September). Bigger towns (and of course airports) will have taxi ranks, but any café or restaurant can also call you a taxi. I would make sure I have cash for the taxi but I'm sure many will also take card.

Hello,

I'm very new at posting in this forum, although I have been following it for months. I'm heading to Spain this coming Monday and I'm finalizing some last minute things. I'm doing the last 100km from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. So, here's my questions...

1. Do most stores, restaurants etc take credit cards? Or, are euros preferred?
2. I'm wondering how to get a taxi to get to my hotel or other places, how I find one? How do you pay the drivers? Does Spain also have uber?
3. Does travel insurance cover you if you have any type of medical issue? Or, can I use my own health insurance from home in the US?

Thank you all in advance for your responses.
I used Apple on my phone since most restaurants and stores have handheld devices for touchless credit transactions. I rarely used an actual card. The price of a meal includes tip so the amount on the bill is the amount you pay. Bars and other shops usually have a limit (usually 10E) for credit transactions so you will need some cash. You can use ATMs to get cash. Best way to do that is to use a debit card that refunds the ATM fee. As a precaution, make sure the debit card is linked to a cash account that contains a limited amount of cash (not your entire savings!) just in case your card is compromised.

Most of the hotels/albergues on the Camino are on or within a short walk from the Camino. If you do need a taxi then stop in any bar. There usually is a board containing flyers from multiple cab companies. You can also ask if they could make the call for you if you speak limited Spanish.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The one time I needed a taxi after I fractured two ribs on the Fisherman's Trail in Portugal, I had a bar (they are nearly everywhere in Spain) call a taxi for me...easy peasy.

I always buy additional medical insurance when traveling overseas. It seems my credit cards offering insurance and my normal insurance at home seem a little "lacking" when I've checked. I don't totally trust their coverage unfortunately.

I usually bring home €50-100 after my European trips, and bring it with me when I return next time as it saves me having to deal with an ATM immediately when arriving at the airport.

Last edited:
Perspective from someone in the USA.
IMHO and experience:
Obtain Euros, smaller bills, and have them with you when you arrive in Europe.
Only use an ATM at a bank, and only when the bank is open. That way, if there is a problem and the ATM retains your card, you can go inside the bank and obtain assistance.
Travel insurance generally covers your trip expenses, but you must read and understand the fine print. Travel insurance does NOT usually cover medical care expenses.
Check with your health insurance company to see if they do cover you out of the USA(most do not), and if they don't, ask if you can buy a supplement for your trip.
Health insurance for medical expenses outside of the USA can be obtained via internet search and review, and is generally less expensive than coverage in the USA. We have used GeoBlue, an Anthem company, which was reasonable.
Read the fine print on preexisting conditions.
We have no relationship to any company.
Remember, all are great companies until you file a claim, then you become a liability.
That said, we buy health insurance and travel insurance as separate policies. For perspective, we were on the Camino in February -March, 2020 and had to skedaddle back to Paris to get back to the USA. We are still dealing with funds that are being held by travel suppliers, but luckily , most are usable credits, if we are still able to travel.
Have a wonderful Camino.

We just got back from 5 weeks in Galicia. We took a few taxis. Always easy to find one. Ask hotel or in a bar (where you'll get your coffee and rest) or search on Google. Generally quite inexpensive. And taxi drivers almost always are so nice.

It was rare to find a place that didn't accept credit cards. This included restaurants, grocery stores, taxis. When you do use a credit card and have a choice between Euros and US dollars, you'll save money by choosing Euros. ("Credit cards" includes Google Pay and Apple Pay, etc. That was so easy to use. We saw more people using phones to pay than credit cards. And it's much more secure.)

Regarding getting cash: We found that ABANCA bank does not charge any ATM fee. And there are ABANCA banks all over Galicia. Their sign looks like this: //ABANCA

Again, choose "Euros".

Don't worry about using up all your Euros before you return home. You WILL want to return. :) And it's great to have some cash to begin your next trip. (Always good to get rid of all the coins though.)

Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For insurance I can recommend TravelGuard, since you are going for a shorter trip. I made a claim through them on a cruise in which my father became ill. It took a couple of months but everything was re-embersed, and they would have even covered my meals, although I didn’t save any receipts. I am doing the CF from St. Jean, so for a more lengthy trip, I chose GeoBlue, which is an annual medical policy. Both are reasonable. Buen Camino!

If you buy your ticket with a credit card, that may, I repeat may provide free automatic travel insurance. Worth checking out.
I agree. I purchased the insurance offered with my ticket last year and when I fell, they covered my ER and physician expenses 100%

FYI, if you open a checking account with Charles Schwab and get their credit card, they cover all ATM fees. I just transferred enough each week from my regular bank account in to my Schwab account to cover that week’s expenses. That way, if someone somehow got access to my debit card number, I wouldn’t be completely cleaned out. I never had more than 200-300 dollars in the Schwab account.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd get a Mondial Assistance travel policy. It's not expensive and will cover a sanitary evacuation back to the US in case of serious injury or illness; which can easily break the bank. Routine medical care is relatively cheap in Spain, and you'd be surprised how helpful medics can be to pilgrims.

Thank you for your help.

We just got back from 5 weeks in Galicia. We took a few taxis. Always easy to find one. Ask hotel or in a bar (where you'll get your coffee and rest) or search on Google. Generally quite inexpensive. And taxi drivers almost always are so nice.

It was rare to find a place that didn't accept credit cards. This included restaurants, grocery stores, taxis. When you do use a credit card and have a choice between Euros and US dollars, you'll save money by choosing Euros. ("Credit cards" includes Google Pay and Apple Pay, etc. That was so easy to use. We saw more people using phones to pay than credit cards. And it's much more secure.)

Regarding getting cash: We found that ABANCA bank does not charge any ATM fee. And there are ABANCA banks all over Galicia. Their sign looks like this: //ABANCA

Again, choose "Euros".

Don't worry about using up all your Euros before you return home. You WILL want to return. :) And it's great to have some cash to begin your next trip. (Always good to get rid of all the coins though.)

Buen camino!
I so appreciate this great info. Thank you.

I had blood in my urine and went to a local clinic which told me I had to go to a bank and pay a medical fee before they would even see me. Then the clinic told me that they don't do tests on site, and the results would not come back for many days.
I then went to what appeared to be a small ER. They did not even want to check my urine, but did so after much urgent by myself. However, they also could not do any further testing without it taking days to get the results.
I then finally went to a larger, ER, similar to what we are used to in the United States. They were able to do all the tests and x-rays. They diagnosed me with bladder stones secondary to dehydration.
So now I know, if I am ill enough to where I likely need bloodwork or x-rays done, go straight to a big ER. An important message to keep in mind.
That is an important message and good advice. Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
FYI, if you open a checking account with Charles Schwab and get their credit card, they cover all ATM fees. I just transferred enough each week from my regular bank account in to my Schwab account to cover that week’s expenses. That way, if someone somehow got access to my debit card number, I wouldn’t be completely cleaned out. I never had more than 200-300 dollars in the Schwab account.
Thank you

Thank yoi

Perspective from someone in the USA.
IMHO and experience:
Obtain Euros, smaller bills, and have them with you when you arrive in Europe.
Only use an ATM at a bank, and only when the bank is open. That way, if there is a problem and the ATM retains your card, you can go inside the bank and obtain assistance.
Travel insurance generally covers your trip expenses, but you must read and understand the fine print. Travel insurance does NOT usually cover medical care expenses.
Check with your health insurance company to see if they do cover you out of the USA(most do not), and if they don't, ask if you can buy a supplement for your trip.
Health insurance for medical expenses outside of the USA can be obtained via internet search and review, and is generally less expensive than coverage in the USA. We have used GeoBlue, an Anthem company, which was reasonable.
Read the fine print on preexisting conditions.
We have no relationship to any company.
Remember, all are great companies until you file a claim, then you become a liability.
That said, we buy health insurance and travel insurance as separate policies. For perspective, we were on the Camino in February -March, 2020 and had to skedaddle back to Paris to get back to the USA. We are still dealing with funds that are being held by travel suppliers, but luckily , most are usable credits, if we are still able to travel.
Have a wonderful Camino.
I appreciate this information.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one time I needed a taxi after I fractured two ribs on the Fisherman's Trail in Portugal, I had a bar (they are nearly everywhere in Spain) call a taxi for me...easy peasy.

I always buy additional medical insurance when traveling overseas. It seems my credit cards offering insurance and my normal insurance at home seem a little "lacking" when I've checked. I don't totally trust their coverage unfortunately.

I usually bring home €50-100 after my European trips, and bring it with me when I return next time as it saves me having to deal with an ATM immediately when arriving at the airport.
Thank you. Sorry about your mishap with your ribs.

For insurance I can recommend TravelGuard, since you are going for a shorter trip. I made a claim through them on a cruise in which my father became ill. It took a couple of months but everything was re-embersed, and they would have even covered my meals, although I didn’t save any receipts. I am doing the CF from St. Jean, so for a more lengthy trip, I chose GeoBlue, which is an annual medical policy. Both are reasonable. Buen Camino!
Great. Thank you.

I used Apple on my phone since most restaurants and stores have handheld devices for touchless credit transactions. I rarely used an actual card. The price of a meal includes tip so the amount on the bill is the amount you pay. Bars and other shops usually have a limit (usually 10E) for credit transactions so you will need some cash. You can use ATMs to get cash. Best way to do that is to use a debit card that refunds the ATM fee. As a precaution, make sure the debit card is linked to a cash account that contains a limited amount of cash (not your entire savings!) just in case your card is compromised.

Most of the hotels/albergues on the Camino are on or within a short walk from the Camino. If you do need a taxi then stop in any bar. There usually is a board containing flyers from multiple cab companies. You can also ask if they could make the call for you if you speak limited Spanish.
Thanks much

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.