• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taxis on the first Stage from SJPP

deirdreo

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 and 2023
Hi there,
I am wondering if taxi’s are available on the first section of the Camino Frances… My husband and I completed the end section from Sarria to SDC in 2019 but would like to start at SJPP and complete the entire route in stages. Due to my husbands back surgery, this first stage would need to be broken into maybe three shorter walks but only if we could be transported to and from the route each day. Any advice would be appreciated. I feel the walking from then on would be manageable for him.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there,
I am wondering if taxi’s are available on the first section of the Camino Frances… My husband and I completed the end section from Sarria to SDC in 2019 but would like to start at SJPP and complete the entire route in stages. Due to my husbands back surgery, this first stage would need to be broken into maybe three shorter walks but only if we could be transported to and from the route each day. Any advice would be appreciated. I feel the walking from then on would be manageable for him.
Hope you get sorted. Still recovering from bad fall prior to xmas means first stage this time round will be taxi or bus :) Am in ST JPDP 3/4 MAY.

Best wishes and Buen Camino

Samarkand.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You are not going to see much of the mountains from the N-120.
Hi Estorildon,
Our intention would be to walk the route (Napoleon) over the pass but just not in one day… my enquiry was really to see if it’s possible to get picked up along the route and returned to the same spot the next day.. I believe from other response that it is possible, thank you.
Dee

I don't think you need to walk "over the top" to get the beautiful views.

Maybe you can use taxis/shuttle/walking to go as far as La Virgen statue, to see the views (assuming clear weather; otherwise don't bother) and then return to SJPP or Roncesvalles to start your ongoing journey on foot.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Estorildon,
Our intention would be to walk the route (Napoleon) over the pass but just not in one day… my enquiry was really to see if it’s possible to get picked up along the route and returned to the same spot the next day.. I believe from other response that it is possible, thank you.
Dee
How is your husband walking down steep hills with his back problems? The last 5k or so into Roncesvalles is very steep. There is an a variant at the beginning of the downhill that goes to the right. I have never taken it but I have heard it is a more gradual descent. If you choose to stay on the original route make sure he zigzags and has poles. I walked once in the rain and it was pretty slippery. But it was fall and the leaves were dropping off the trees. There are some other steep sections like going up Alto de Perdon, leaving Foncebadon up to Cruz de Ferro. Both those are pretty steep but much shorter. Then there is the walk up to O Cebreiro.

https://www.gronze.com/etapa/villafranca-bierzo/cebreiro

It is a beautiful walk but I think the walk out of Las Herrerias to O Cebreiro is as tough as the walk from St. Jean to Orisson. The first 2 times I walked was in a driving rain all day and the second it snowed. In some ways the snow was worse because it is pretty rocky in some places and you couldn't always see where you were stepping. Luckily that section has two places that you can stay if you wish to break it up.

How is your husband walking down steep hills with his back problems? The last 5k or so into Roncesvalles is very steep. There is an a variant at the beginning of the downhill that goes to the right. I have never taken it but I have heard it is a more gradual descent. If you choose to stay on the original route make sure he zigzags and has poles. I walked once in the rain and it was pretty slippery. But it was fall and the leaves were dropping off the trees. There are some other steep sections like going up Alto de Perdon, leaving Foncebadon up to Cruz de Ferro. Both those are pretty steep but much shorter. Then there is the walk up to O Cebreiro.

https://www.gronze.com/etapa/villafranca-bierzo/cebreiro

It is a beautiful walk but I think the walk out of Las Herrerias to O Cebreiro is as tough as the walk from St. Jean to Orisson. The first 2 times I walked was in a driving rain all day and the second it snowed. In some ways the snow was worse because it is pretty rocky in some places and you couldn't always see where you were stepping. Luckily that section has two places that you can stay if you wish to break it up.
Thank you for this information. In September we hope to do the walk from SJPP as discussed as far as Los Arcos. We will then continue onwards in Summer 2024 and hopefully my husband will be improving with time. He will be using poles as will I. We would probably look at taking the route downhill to Roncesvalles over the less steep trail as you suggest.
Dee

The last 5k or so into Roncesvalles is very steep. There is an a variant at the beginning of the downhill that goes to the right. I have never taken it but I have heard it is a more gradual descent.
The Pilgrims Office in SJPdP recommends the route to the right (often with a story about a pilgrim who went the "normal" way and broke an arm or sprained an ankle the day before) and I have always gone that way. It is not steep.

It's the dotted line at Collado de Lepoeder

Screenshot_20230328_080426_Firefox.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Pilgrims Office in SJPdP recommends the route to the right (often with a story about a pilgrim who went the "normal" way and broke an arm or sprained an ankle the day before) and I have always gone that way. It is not steep.

View attachment 143737
Thank you very much!!

View attachment 143737
The first time I walked there was 5 or 6 of us walking together. When we got to the split one woman and I walked straight and suffered. Everyone else walked to the right and said exactly what you said. It was not too steep at all and a very pleasant walk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes Express Bourricot will allow you to walk from St. Jean to Roncesvalles in three days. In 2019 they stopped at Orisson, The Snow Virgin, and at the highest altitude reachable by road.

First day could be walk St. Jean to Orisson then mini bus back to St. Jean.

Day 2, mini bus to Orisson, walk to highest road access, mini bus back to St. Jean.

Day 3, mini bus to highest access, walk to Roncesvalles.

I used this company in 2019 and they were excellent, did what they said and arrived on time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back