• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Te Araroa

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Just wondering if anyone here has done this trail?? I’ve got a few questions if you don’t mind sharing your experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not really, I have walked a few very short parts that are around the Auckland region and which are shared with other trails. In general, the parts that I walked were not very well signposted.

Hi Rachael
A few years ago I was motivated enough to investigate online.
I thought walking south from Cape Reinga for a few weeks would be a good way to explore the off-road North, or other stretches, on a summer visit.
It was a couple of years ago now, and while I did not find any GPS tracks (I presume they are available now) I did find 'Stage' maps with a dotted trail showing the way.
Whatever, I just now plugged Te Araroa into Utube and there appears to be a plethora of info there.
Maybe time to investigate again.
I'm a great fan of canoeing the Wanganui which I have done several times taking parties of young family members. Always proved a good initial adventure for youngsters.
Regards
Gerard
PS.
This guy made an impression.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The sections I've walked in the Auckland region were poorly signposted. Partly it's a problem with the signs themselves: too small and black lettering on a fawn background. You need to be vigilant to see them.

Hi. A friend recently did 1 month from National Park to Wellington, and I joined him in March this year for a week from Levin. Briefly:
It was great!
The App is fabulous - the GPS function places you on the trail on a topo map in real time;
The Tararuas were, as usual, harder than expected (when will I ever learn?!);
Quite a lot of the walking between towns was similar to the CF (mix of tarmac, roadside, forestry track etc);
We heard from a couple of other people we met that 90 mile beach in Northland is hard - 5 days pounding sand left almost everyone with blisters;
In the parks DOC huts are basic but good as usual, but the small DOC huts tended to get overfull;
Simple shelters have recently been built on some other sections (but not visible on the trail app?), so with research you may not need a tent on those sections;
The trail marking is variable;
Very happy to answer any other questions I can. :)

Hi Rachael
A few years ago I was motivated enough to investigate online.
I thought walking south from Cape Reinga for a few weeks would be a good way to explore the off-road North, or other stretches, on a summer visit.
It was a couple of years ago now, and while I did not find any GPS tracks (I presume they are available now) I did find 'Stage' maps with a dotted trail showing the way.
Whatever, I just now plugged Te Araroa into Utube and there appears to be a plethora of info there.
Maybe time to investigate again.
I'm a great fan of canoeing the Wanganui which I have done several times taking parties of young family members. Always proved a good initial adventure for youngsters.
Regards
Gerard
PS.
This guy made an impression.
Enjoyed your info film. Cant wait to see the full trip. I hope to walk next summer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just wondering if anyone here has done this trail?? I’ve got a few questions if you don’t mind sharing your experience.
One of the members of my FB group Australian Pilgrims on the Camino has done it recently....I could put you in touch with her if you would like.

Could be a good option for Australians who are looking for somewhere we are permitted to go o/s - if we promise not to bowl underarm again! (Sorry, in joke - the Kiwis have never forgiven one of our cricketers for stealing a match in this most unsportsmanlike way).

I know two Aussie who did the whole trail. If you send me an email I'll pass on your query to them.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@susanawee I’ve PMed you my email address - thanks.
For the others who have replied here and who might be willing to chime in.....

I looked into Te Araroa after doing our first Camino almost a decade ago. When I got to the part on day one that said accommodation was 25km off route I decided it was not for me! I wanted to walk, not drive! At that point my only camping had been in a big canvas tent by the beach, but I am now familiar with lightweight tents and am wondering if I could tent it. Of course one CAN, and whether *I* can, you do not know! But....
I have walked a lot of the trails in the Waitakeres (before they were closed!) and have done most of the trails around Ruapehu/Tongariro - but all of these are well-made tracks. I am NOT an experienced bushwhacker, the only time I have used a compass was on an orienteering trail where you couldn’t have got lost if you tried.
My question: would it be foolish to attempt this solo with my limited experience?
That’s the main one.
Of secondary interest....did you send yourself food parcels or were the dairies/supermarkets along the way sufficient to keep you fueled?
how was the wifi? (Just kidding)
Did you carry a locator beacon?
Should I just walk SH1?!!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kiwi-family, I've followed/read many blogs over the last few years on the Te Araroa which is definitely on my bucket list either as a thru hike when I retire or section hiking in the meantime. If you look at teararora.org.nz you will see many trail stories - I've recently read Fiona Imlach's and Rick Chen's blogs which you can access on that site plus many others which give a good idea on conditions, planning, resources etc. Linda - a kiwi in Adelaide, Australia😊

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back