• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tea on the go

Carla M.

Time of past OR future Camino
2022: Camino Primitivo
2024?: Port. Litoral/V.Esp.
I really love a hot cup of tea so I was planning on taking a thermos bottle and some tea bags so I could have a nice cup during the break stops, surrounded by nature (it's my first Camino, maybe I am being too idealistic).
So I started to do some test runs during my training walks. And now I have a problem. The tea is very hot, just how I like it, but I am not able to drink it out of the bottle (even if the bottle has a lid designed precisely with that function) because it is too hot. I can't do the little sips like with the cup. Do I have to take a cup too? The thermos bottle is already heavier than a "normal" bottle, and I would not want to take additional weight (and space).

Any advice or suggestions? Or should I just forget the idea and resign myself to just having tea in the bars along the way (I am taking the Camino Primitivo, and in some stages there are no bars).

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My advice is to forget the thermos as the added weight will eventually get to you.

Did I miss the Camino you are walking? Some routes like the CF are blessed (mostly) with regular bars and cafes where you can get your cuppa if you need it.

Other routes will be more hit or miss.

I think that you are answering your own question and leaning to not taking it 👍

My advice is to forget the thermos as the added weight will eventually get to you.

Did I miss the Camino you are walking? Some routes like the CF are blessed (mostly) with regular bars and cafes where you can get your cuppa if you need it.

I am taking Primitvo so in some stages there are no bars, just great nature to be appreciated (I added this to the initial note). But I am too aware of the extra 300 grams (plus cup).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On winter caminos I have often taken some sort of flask, which I found great with limited access to bars on cold days. But in warmer months I never missed it. Even walking Via Francigena in France with camping gear including a small stove, I only once stopped to brew up in the day (and it was a short day but couldn't get into accommodation until 3pm so was more putting in time than needing a cupppa).
Sometimes I will brew tea before leaving in the morning and put in water bottle to have a change from water

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too am a tea drinker and understand your desire for a hot tea break. When I was younger, in cold weather, I slugged a thermos, with me that had a plastic cup. However,I have given up on this practice given the weight of the Thermos over so many miles.

Decathlon has a very nice isothermic bottle with 366 g. (the ones with a lid that also serve as a cup are about double that weight)
but even 366g. might turn to be too much weight for me, and either way I will need a cup because I can´t drink hot tea from the bottle

Do check out this long thread detailing how some of us brew and drink when in an albergue.
thankyou, I had a look at the thread and feel less quirk for my tea addiction :)
But now I have an additional rookie question.
I am doing the Primitivo and staying in municipal albergues as much as possible. But I was not considering taking a electric coil, I assumed that it would be no issue to get hot water in the morning. The thread is from 2013 so somethings might have changed (or not).
Do you know if getting hot water in the morning in the albergue will be an issue?

thankyou, I had a look at the thread and feel less quirk for my tea addiction :)
But now I have an additional rookie question.
I am doing the Primitivo and staying in municipal albergues as much as possible. But I was not considering taking a electric coil, I assumed that it would be no issue to get hot water in the morning. The thread is from 2013 so somethings might have changed (or not).
Do you know if getting hot water in the morning in the albergue will be an issue?
I do not know the answer to your question re getting hot water in the morning on the Primitivo.
All albergues are not the same wherever they might be. Nor would all necesarily have a common room or space with a kettle for heating water. The Gronze Primitivo shows that some have common cooking space and others not.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I really love a hot cup of tea so I was planning on taking a thermos bottle and some tea bags so I could have a nice cup during the break stops, surrounded by nature (it's my first Camino, maybe I am being too idealistic).
So I started to do some test runs during my training walks. And now I have a problem. The tea is very hot, just how I like it, but I am not able to drink it out of the bottle (even if the bottle has a lid designed precisely with that function) because it is too hot. I can't do the little sips like with the cup. Do I have to take a cup too? The thermos bottle is already heavier than a "normal" bottle, and I would not want to take additional weight (and space).

Any advice or suggestions? Or should I just forget the idea and resign myself to just having tea in the bars along the way (I am taking the Camino Primitivo, and in some stages there are no bars).

I feel you! I did a similar 130mi British pilgrimage walk at the end of winter/early spring, there were no facilities, just fields, mountains, and livestock. Lucky if I could use the shelter of a medieval stone church for my lunch break but there were times I had to have lunch in the open and once in the rain.

I had a thermal flask with hot tea (no milk as it would make the tea cold, with black tea it was still hot by the time I stopped for lunch) and a collapsible cup. I got them (came in pack of 2) from Amazon, cheap and cheerful. Very light and didn’t take up space.

I won’t be bringing them on my Camino as I am hoping it will be hot in May/June and I’m doing Frances!

a collapsible cup. I got them (came in pack of 2) from Amazon, cheap and cheerful.
This is a good idea. I'll check it out.
The thread mspath mentioned talk a lot about cups/mugs. What I got from it is that the mug should be dishwasher safe (to allow to heat the water with a coil) and look for other features such as weight and size (is it collapsible or not, does it has a handle, is it big enough to have other uses such as to boil an egg)

Several thoughts;
1) When preparing the tea to fill the thermos, add a bit of cold water so it will be drinkable. But find the lightest bottle available to minimize weight.
2) I enjoy making tea on my walks, all year long. When out, I am walking a minimum of 7 to 10 km. But this can be more involved as I use an alcohol burner to heat the water. That means I have a pot and a cup, a burner, and a bottle of alcohol, as well as flint and steel.
3) Drinking of tea is a human ritual. That is why I have adopted my way of doing it. One school of philosophy, which is mentioned here in several ways, is to give it a pass, or enjoy tea at the end of the day. It is an option.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bring a lightweight thermos with tea and milk powder. Can’t live without my tea 😊 I use the “Sea to Summit” foldable silicon mug. It doesn’t weigh much and it’s really handy on uneven surfaces and on train as well, since it doesn’t slip. Don’t put cold water in the thermos, better to use a mug and the tea will stay warm the whole day.
When I walked the Camino francés I didn’t have a thermos since there are cafés everywhere, but I will bring my thermos and mug on the Camino San Salvador and Primitivo in May.
Buen Camino 😊

I too like me sup of tea. There are plenty of bars/cafes on the CF and probably most other Caminos. I carry a coil and tea bags (Barry's) in an insulated mug (Sunhill) to use when I reach my destination when most cafes etc. are still closed. Buen Camino, Noel

Attachments

• tempImageOBtarN.png
    tempImageOBtarN.png
    12.5 MB · Views: 27
  • tempImageB85oFH.png
    tempImageB85oFH.png
    12.5 MB · Views: 28
@Carla M. your thread has completely changed my Camino 😅 hopefully for the better.

There was a very popular coffee thread not long ago. But I had it in my mind that I should survive not having coffee in the morning and start walking without breakfast for 1-2 hours until the next village/cafe is open.

John’s mention of the word “coil” had me search on Amazon and even in the UK, I found one with European plug 🔌 40% off hooray! So I hope my BPA free plastic collapsible cup (it says safe for dishwasher and microwave) can handle the coil, I have a feeling it won’t. If so then my trusted 15yo mug it is then! It can double up as storage for the coffee and tea.

But I would still look forward to having freshly made cafe con leche!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hi Carla, I know it's extra weight, but I took my little thermos with me on my Northern Coastal El Camino (in addition to the water bottle) and I didn't regret it for a moment. Just a few sips from the cup (thermos lid) here and there (especially during cold rain) make it a treat :) Buen Camino.

1) When preparing the tea to fill the thermos, add a bit of cold water so it will be drinkable. But find the lightest bottle available to minimize weight.
I'll try de cold water trick. Concerning the weight, the best I could find at reasonable prices was 366 g. for 0,8 l bottle

2) I enjoy making tea on my walks, all year long. When out, I am walking a minimum of 7 to 10 km. But this can be more involved as I use an alcohol burner to heat the water. That means I have a pot and a cup, a burner, and a bottle of alcohol, as well as flint and steel.
This is too sophisticated (and heavy) for me :D
I am tempted to try the coil alternative

3) Drinking of tea is a human ritual.
yes, it is. And a very enjoyable one, good to think, to relax, to talk, to admire nature, to warm up, to breath, to wake up, .......

If, if I was going to carry 300gr worth of ‘tea-equipment’, I‘d take this:

https://alpkit.com/products/primus-camping-gas-canister

(100gr size which you can purchase in Spain … will boil about 12 litres I think)

I already have these, so it wouldn’t entail any further expenditure … except for the gas.
More versatile than a thermos too.

About 300gr, including the gas, which weighs 198gr!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too like me sup of tea. There are plenty of bars/cafes on the CF and probably most other Caminos. I carry a coil and tea bags (Barry's) in an insulated mug (Sunhill) to use when I reach my destination when most cafes etc. are still closed. Buen Camino, Noel
Your mug looks great. Is it inox inside ? I think I would feel safer to put a coil in a inox mug but there is a weight issue (as in life, it is all a matter of compromises and balances...)
How much does it weight (mug + coil) ?
The best inox based mug I could find was 256 gm :( and haven't started in the coil search.

@Carla M. your thread has completely changed my Camino 😅 hopefully for the better.

There was a very popular coffee thread not long ago. But I had it in my mind that I should survive not having coffee in the morning and start walking without breakfast for 1-2 hours until the next village/cafe is open.

John’s mention of the word “coil” had me search on Amazon and even in the UK, I found one with European plug 🔌 40% off hooray! So I hope my BPA free plastic collapsible cup (it says safe for dishwasher and microwave) can handle the coil, I have a feeling it won’t. If so then my trusted 15yo mug it is then! It can double up as storage for the coffee and tea.

But I would still look forward to having freshly made cafe con leche!

I am happy! but also envious to how fast you got it. I am in Portugal and the only portable coils I could find have either UK plugs or car plugs :/

For mugs, the plastic ones are far better in terms of weight. But a collapsible one I don´t know if they are safe to use with a coil or if it is a flooding accident waiting to happen.
If you choose to go for a non-collapsible one, the best weight/capacity ratio is the one from Sea-to-summit mentioned in another thread (it comes with a higher price).
I actually stumbled into another, also plastic, slightly heavier and smaller (in size and price), that doubles as confetiér
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00DB4JY72/

Could I use the coil in the thermic bottle, make the tea in it and take it to the walk. And use a small collapsible cup to drink the tea wherever I felt like ? Could this work?

This is a bit off-topic but my husband and I were recently in Palencia, on our way to the Frances. At our hotel bar I ordered a cup of hot tea with milk. They brought me a cup of hot steamed milk with a tea bag in it, no water. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I liked it so much I specifically asked for that when I wanted tea on the camino: té negro con leche caliente ... sin agua!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
If, if I was going to carry 300gr worth of ‘tea-equipment’, I‘d take this:

https://alpkit.com/products/primus-camping-gas-canister

(100gr size which you can purchase in Spain … will boil about 12 litres I think)

I already have these, so it wouldn’t entail any further expenditure … except for the gas.
More versatile than a thermos too.

About 300gr, including the gas, which weighs 198gr!
thankyou @chinacat, I was looking for a more accessible solution. Anyway I think it would not work for me because the lid in the titanium mug does not seem to be suitable to travel/avoid spills. To have the tea on the go I would still have to take the thermos bringing the tea kit to a little over 800 gr (plus the tea itself :) )

This is a bit off-topic but my husband and I were recently in Palencia, on our way to the Frances. At our hotel bar I ordered a cup of hot tea with milk. They brought me a cup of hot steamed milk with a tea bag in it, no water. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I liked it so much I specifically asked for that when I wanted tea on the camino: cafe con leche caliente ... sin agua!
I never heard of this, but there are so many tea rituals. That's part of its beauty. In South Africa for example, one way to drink tea is by heating milk with water first (half / half) and only after putting the tea herbs :)

Just a few sips from the cup (thermos lid) here and there (especially during cold rain) make it a treat
This is the dream goal @DanaMadison ! But my thermos is 366g for 0,8 l, and those with a cup-lid weight double that. It is too much for me.
I am inclined to take a collapsible cup with my thermos. I just have to figure out how to heat the water (or just take nothing to heat the water and hope there are kettles in the albergue).

But your post drew my attention to an additional issue: besides the thermos you took a water bottle. I thought I would drink the tea instead of the water and, when the tea is out I would fill the thermos with water. Will this work?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One thing to consider is that you are not in your usual environment and also not with your usual habits. I am quite grumpy without a couple of cups of coffee in the mornings, however, after trying several different methods to bring and drink early coffee on the Camino, I finally decided it would just have to do without until it was available somewhere. I did survive (as did my husband who had to endure my morning grouchiness) I did take a plastic cup on my first Camino and never got it out of my pack so have stopped taking one since. Consider taking your favorite tea (much lighter) instead and asking for hot water when it and a cup are available?

Your mug looks great. Is it inox inside ? I think I would feel safer to put a coil in a inox mug but there is a weight issue (as in life, it is all a matter of compromises and balances...)
How much does it weight (mug + coil) ?
The best inox based mug I could find was 256 gm :( and haven't started in the coil search.
Carla, sorry I haven’t heard of inox. My mug and coil weigh 1lb. which is a little under 500 grams, I think. Buen Camino, Irish/Noel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One thing to consider is that you are not in your usual environment and also not with your usual habits. I am quite grumpy without a couple of cups of coffee in the mornings, however, after trying several different methods to bring and drink early coffee on the Camino, I finally decided it would just have to do without until it was available somewhere. I did survive (as did my husband who had to endure my morning grouchiness) I did take a plastic cup on my first Camino and never got it out of my pack so have stopped taking one since. Consider taking your favorite tea (much lighter) instead and asking for hot water when it and a cup are available?
I am 52 years old doing my first Camino, alone. I read that in the Camino Primitivo there are several stages with no support infrastructures, so no option to get the hot water. Also, I am way out of my comfort zone as I have never did walks, hikes, camping or slept in communal rooms.
I guess I just wanted to take a little comfort drink with me, and also for me, having tea can be a sort of meditation. I would love to sit in the middle of nature and just have a nice hot tea.
But I am aware of the weight issue. My last resort will be to leave all the tea kit and take it as part of the Camino experience. But I am hopeful to find a solution with the help of this forum members.

I am 52 years old doing my first Camino, alone. I read that in the Camino Primitivo there are several stages with no support infrastructures, so no option to get the hot water. Also, I am way out of my comfort zone as I have never did walks, hikes, camping or slept in communal rooms.
I guess I just wanted to take a little comfort drink with me, and also for me, having tea can be a sort of meditation. I would love to sit in the middle of nature and just have a nice hot tea.
But I am aware of the weight issue. My last resort will be to leave all the tea kit and take it as part of the Camino experience. But I am hopeful to find a solution with the help of this forum members.
Of course by all means carry it if it is important to you. You will know after a few days if it is worth the weight to you or not.

Would a Vapur collapsible bottle work for you? It is very light and, though I have only used it for water, the web site says it can also handle hot beverages. This way if you also have to bring a silicon cup it won't be too much weight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is a bit off-topic but my husband and I were recently in Palencia, on our way to the Frances. At our hotel bar I ordered a cup of hot tea with milk. They brought me a cup of hot steamed milk with a tea bag in it, no water. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I liked it so much I specifically asked for that when I wanted tea on the camino: cafe con leche caliente ... sin agua!
That’s an approximation of chai.

I drink so much tea I should qualify for an Irish passport; and it’s something I miss until I’ve been in Spain for 48 hours. I don’t carry a brew-kit whilst walking; but whenever I’m packing a big holiday bag a travel kettle goes in every time.

What I do -always-carry are half a dozen ‘proper’ tea bags so that on the rare occasions that I have the patience to educate a young camarero/a in the noble are of brewing up, I don’t have to choke on Lipton’s Yellow Label or Horniman’s floor sweepings.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hola, I also prefer tea (black) early in my day. Now for your problem - may I suggest that you take a "fold down" mug/cup. I have one I bought in Pamplona back in 2017, but I am sure you should be able to get one from your local outdoors / trekking store. Buen Camino

Would a Vapur collapsible bottle work for you? It is very light and, though I have only used it for water, the web site says it can also handle hot beverages. This way if you also have to bring a silicon cup it won't be too much weight.
I can definitely use it for the water and save some grams, but for the tea I would need something thermal to keep it hot.

I actually stumbled into another, also plastic, slightly heavier and smaller (in size and price), that doubles as confetiér
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00DB4JY72/

Could I use the coil in the thermic bottle, make the tea in it and take it to the walk. And use a small collapsible cup to drink the tea wherever I felt like ? Could this work?
yes, this is the same product I linked in my post previously! Mine (Smartcafe brand) has lasted me about 15y, the rubber ring around the plunger is not very good anymore, so I have upgraded to this exact one, as it comes also with a lid. Although I wouldn’t be walking with this full of water/tea/coffee inside my bag. It’s good as a cafetière and to brew loose leaf tea (getting very posh now with this Camino!).

I have ordered the coil, should arrive on Saturday so I’ll let you know how it performs, on both the collapsible as well as the cafetière mug. My coil has a clip, but the “wand” looks quite long (more designed towards a thermal flask I think) so I may have to hold it by hand while it’s boiling the water.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, this is what I had in mind with the coil. Because the wand of the coil has a clip, so if you put it in your thermal flask it should sit nicely. Would work nicely with tea bags. I have about 5 thermal flasks at home (don’t ask me why! Including one with a cup as a lid) so I can try the coil with them too.

My cafetière mug will be for drinking coffee and *cough* loose leaf tea 😅 and when not being used, the mug can store the coffee and tea.

thankyou @chinacat, I was looking for a more accessible solution. Anyway I think it would not work for me because the lid in the titanium mug does not seem to be suitable to travel/avoid spills. To have the tea on the go I would still have to take the thermos bringing the tea kit to a little over 800 gr (plus the tea itself :) )

I wouldn’t be carrying tea in the mug … I’d be brewing up on the trail!!! 😉

The mug, without the lid, weighs 62gr. and is made of titanium.
It can be used as a cooking pot, so it would easily withstand the heat of an electric coil heater.

The stove weighs 45gr.

The weight (to 300gr) is all in the small gas canister.

Incidentally, shortly after posting about this set-up, I read about the pilgrim with hypothermia on the Napoleon route.

I have ‘restored’ a climbing companion, who developed hypothermia because he wasn’t prepared for the blizzard conditions at the top of a route, with a hot drink. It didn’t develop until we were down. (The person in question really should have known better.)

This light and simple kit (little more than 100gr without the gas, which can be safely removed from the stove) might have made the difference on the mountain, especially within the shelter of the hut/bothy.
It might have saved the bomberos a trip too.

Last edited:
Yes, this is what I had in mind with the coil. Because the wand of the coil has a clip, so if you put it in your thermal flask it should sit nicely. Would work nicely with tea bags. I have about 5 thermal flasks at home (don’t ask me why! Including one with a cup as a lid) so I can try the coil with them too.

My cafetière mug will be for drinking coffee and *cough* loose leaf tea 😅 and when not being used, the mug can store the coffee and tea.
Great! So I will wait for your review on the coil on flask option. Could you also weight the coil?

An alternative that Michelle put forward is to use a portable alcohol stove. As a plus, you could brew your tea anywhere, but as a minus, the tea set is a little more complex (it would need to add a pot and the alcohol).

In terms of the confetier mug, yes, the plunger also makes for a good tea infuser (and leaf teas are more ecological than the tea bags ;) )

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Great! So I will wait for your review on the coil on flask option. Could you also weight the coil?
In terms of the confetier mug, yes, the plunger also makes for a good tea infuser (and leaf teas are more ecological than the tea bags ;) )
I will do 👍🏻

This is looking rather posh, freshly brewed loose leaf tea on the trail with chorizo and idiazabal cheese, yumm

I drink so much tea I should qualify for an Irish passport; and it’s something I miss until I’ve been in Spain for 48 hours. I don’t carry a brew-kit whilst walking; but whenever I’m packing a big holiday bag a travel kettle goes in every time.

What I do -always-carry are half a dozen ‘proper’ tea bags so that on the rare occasions that I have the patience to educate a young camarero/a in the noble are of brewing up, I don’t have to choke on Lipton’s Yellow Label or Horniman’s floor sweepings.
Lipton’s Yellow Label should be banned 😝 I drink a liter of tea a day I think.. No Irish blood though... I thought the English were the heavy tea drinkers 🤔 My tea bags are not negotiable, I rather ditch something else 😄

Lipton’s Yellow Label should be banned 😝 I drink a liter of tea a day I think.. No Irish blood though... I thought the English were the heavy tea drinkers 🤔 My tea bags are not negotiable, I rather ditch something else 😄
The Yellow Label has saved me sometimes, when there was no drinkable coffee, so I must treat it with respect. But definitely not my first (or second) choice.
I am half Portuguese half Angolan and I am a black tea addict.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wouldn’t be carrying tea in the mug … I’d be brewing up on the trail!!!
This is another level of sophistication :)
I guess this is a similar option than @MichelleElynHogan, although I would feel much comfortable with the alcohol stove rather than the gas one.
It is a matter of choices. For me, as I never went camping, taking gas or alcohol on the pack sounds dangerous and as I do not have practice I would spend much time preparing the hole thing. I will keep it as a fallback option should the coil option doesn’t work out.

Very impressed with your rescue story. It just reinforced my will to take hot tea on the trail (or I will be like the frozen peregrino, but in the Hospitales Rout variant)

Decathlon has a very nice isothermic bottle with 366 g. (the ones with a lid that also serve as a cup are about double that weight)
but even 366g. might turn to be too much weight for me, and either way I will need a cup because I can´t drink hot tea from the bottle
I am a little confused by the weight you quote for an "isothermic" bottle, especially your view that one with a cup is about double the stated 366g.

GARRAFA ISOTÉRMICA DE CAMINHADA INOX 0,4 LITROS AZUL​

This product is from the Decathlon Portuguese website : weight 290g which I am sure includes the cup - these, in my experience, weigh very little. Cost - a mere 9 euros.

I am a little confused by the weight you quote for an "isothermic" bottle, especially your view that one with a cup is about double the stated 366g.

GARRAFA ISOTÉRMICA DE CAMINHADA INOX 0,4 LITROS AZUL​

This product is from the Decathlon Portuguese website : weight 290g which I am sure includes the cup - these, in my experience, weigh very little. Cost - a mere 9 euros.

Here is where my tea addiction kicks in :) 0,4 l is too little for me, so I am looking for something closer to 1 l. The same bottle you mention, the 0,7l option will weight 450g and the 1l option weights 630g.

My current thermos has 0,8l for 366g, it was the best capacity / weight ratio I could find in this "close to 1l" group

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I never travel without a 1/2 litre Thermos flask and a supply of English Breakfast teabags. I procure boiling water and a little milk from a friendly kitchen and walk on in the knowledge that I will have a refreshing drink at lunchtime - and a lighter rucksack. This worked fine all the way from Le Puy until, unknown to me, I met a French barman who didn't know what a teabag was, threw it out, and filled the flask as I had asked. The resulting very watery milk puzzled the French pelerin sharing my churchyard bench at lunchtime as he watched me pour it out.

@Carla M. nooo I made a mistake. The coil I bought was shipped from China, and will arrive sometime in May (hopefully before I left for my Camino). Its already despatched and they provide tracking number so may be faster than that 🤞🏻

It’s strange because I remember choosing an option that said “delivery Saturday” (yesterday). There is also an option for exactly the same product/brand to be sent by Prime, to arrive same day by 10PM (tonight!) but it’s double the price (£8 -> £16).

I also need my tea! I'd take a titanium mug that you can clip to your pack (also handy for sharing a bottle of wine with other pilgrims) or a thermos with a lid mug. I did the Francés and it was fairly easy to procure hot water but take your own decent tea bags (Although Eroski and Carrefour sometimes stock Tetley/PG tips). I didn't take enough and a lovely English lady who owned an Albergue gave me some of her Yorkshire tea. I'm interested in the stove/coil option but I am a bit scared of accidental fires since I can't smell smoke anymore (Covid). Let us know how it goes:) Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I did some backpacking in 2020. I own one of those tiny stoves that use a sterno can, and one of those aluminum pots. It all fits inside the pot, and doesn’t weigh much and it’s really easy to use.

My mother is British. I’m an unapologetic tea snob. 😆 I’ll either drink good tea or none at all (which on the Frances is most definitely “none at all.”) Honestly if it’s your comfort item, find the best set up and just do it. Eliminate something else if you need to, because those little comforts can really make the difference in your enjoyment of the trail (like my kindle 😜).

@Carla M. nooo I made a mistake. The coil I bought was shipped from China, and will arrive sometime in May (hopefully before I left for my Camino). Its already despatched and they provide tracking number so may be faster than that 🤞🏻

It’s strange because I remember choosing an option that said “delivery Saturday” (yesterday). There is also an option for exactly the same product/brand to be sent by Prime, to arrive same day by 10PM (tonight!) but it’s double the price (£8 -> £16).
Fingers crossed it will arrive soon enough, before you leave, and it will work out.
Now I am indecisive if I should wait for your testing, or order a coil, or order a alcohol stove.

About the coil. Some safety cares I am picking up:
- put inside water before plugging in
- do not touch the water while the coil is on
- plug out while it is in the water
- let it rest for 10 seconds, after plugging out, before you take it out of the water

Expert coil users, any other safety tips?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fingers crossed it will arrive soon enough, before you leave, and it will work out.
Now I am indecisive if I should wait for your testing, or order a coil, or order a alcohol stove.
Coil!

I have a tiny camping stove (with small gas canister) just like the one someone posted here before and I’m never tempted to bring them on the Camino. Too fiddly…

300g either way will not make or break a camino so if a lovely hot brew is important to you then take it! A lot of people take a ' luxury ' item be it a thermos, ipad/kindle, camera gear, drone, book etc 🫖☕

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Carla
I have used a coil heater/immersion heater whilst on the CF. Loved it and won't leave home without it whilst travelling in Europe. This time I am hiking in the UK doing a Coast to coast walk - West to East. I have found a light weight thermos by Klean Kanteen wide vacuum insulated 473ml/314g empty plus a bog standard s/s campling mug at 100g. So far seems to meet all the requirements. Have a look at this for comparison.
Cheers Carmel

Hi Carla
I have used a coil heater/immersion heater whilst on the CF. Loved it and won't leave home without it whilst travelling in Europe. This time I am hiking in the UK doing a Coast to coast walk - West to East. I have found a light weight thermos by Klean Kanteen wide vacuum insulated 473ml/314g empty plus a bog standard s/s campling mug at 100g. So far seems to meet all the requirements. Have a look at this for comparison.
Cheers Carmel
thanks @Carmel L , have you tried to heat the water with the coil directly in the thermos?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Carla.
My thermos has a wide mouth on it and the immersion coil heater does fit in. Although it is meant for a cup, theoretically it could work. Just don't let the water level get close to power cord ... obviously 🤪. Hopefully pics will give you a better idea. (Apologies if I stuff this bit up, not overly technical am I!) Carmel

Attachments

• 20220426_091826.jpg
    20220426_091826.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220426_091749.jpg
    20220426_091749.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
This is a bit off-topic but my husband and I were recently in Palencia, on our way to the Frances. At our hotel bar I ordered a cup of hot tea with milk. They brought me a cup of hot steamed milk with a tea bag in it, no water. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I liked it so much I specifically asked for that when I wanted tea on the camino: té negro con leche caliente ... sin agua!
Yes, in the Sierra Nevada. A friend who prided herself on her Spanish asked for "té hecho con leche" instead of "té con leche" and got exactly what she ordered!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, in the Sierra Nevada. A friend who prided herself on her Spanish asked for "té hecho con leche" instead of "té con leche" and got exactly what she ordered!
I live in Spain and this is a constant battle. I have tried many different ways of phrasing it. Now I order té negro and then once it arrives I ask for un pocito de leche fria (cold milk), but half of the time I still get a cup of hot frothed milk

Hi, love reading everyone's comments. I love my morning coffee and love tea as well. Has anyone tried taking a areopress travel coffee maker? I have one and I guess you have to carry some ground coffee and then just need boiling or hot water ☕

I brought my home made alcohol pop can stove hoping to save the day with my wife or some hapless hypothermic pilgrim. In a raging rain and wind storm she opted for our destinatio, not hot tea. Denied. Later we met an Englishman who got lost, fallen into a ravine and credited his thermos of hot tea with saving his life. I always carry a thermos of hot tea mountaineering in the winter on day trips. I never again carried a stove.. Just tea bags and the delights of less stuff and sourcing hot water. Which coil heaters are durable? Ours have been short lived.

Here it is, decision time :)
View attachment 123664
@Carla M. Wow!!! So proper!

Anyway, good news! It only took 10 days to deliver my coil from China.

My contigo flask only has capacity of 400ml and weighs 308g already, so I think yours is very lightweight with capacity of 800ml! Just make sure it doesn't leak when put inside your backpack.
The smartcafe cafe press/mug has capacity of 300ml and weighs 204g.
The coil weighs 91g. It has a US connector (not European!) but they gave me a UK adaptor. No worries as I will bring a universal adaptor anyway for the trip.

The coil fits both the flask and smartcafe. It is very basic - metal coil, rubber covered lead, and plug. So it doesn't have on/off button. So, set everything up first before you plug it in. Likewise, when the water is boiling, it doesn't switch off, you have to manually unplug it. Then wait for it to cool down before packing away, or maybe rinse under cold tap water to shorten the time.

Time it took to boil 400ml water: 4min30sec (I think this is a bit long, I was too impatient to watch water boil so I started washing dishes and then realised the water was boiling/had been boiling for some time as the coil didn't have an autostop). Time it took to boil 300ml water 2min30sec (but I was more aware and switch it off once it started boiling).

coil_1.jpg
coil_2.jpg

@Carla M. Wow!!! So proper!

Anyway, good news! It only took 10 days to deliver my coil from China.

My contigo flask only has capacity of 400ml and weighs 308g already, so I think yours is very lightweight with capacity of 800ml! Just make sure it doesn't leak when put inside your backpack.
The smartcafe cafe press/mug has capacity of 300ml and weighs 204g.
The coil weighs 91g. It has a US connector (not European!) but they gave me a UK adaptor. No worries as I will bring a universal adaptor anyway for the trip.

The coil fits both the flask and smartcafe. It is very basic - metal coil, rubber covered lead, and plug. So it doesn't have on/off button. So, set everything up first before you plug it in. Likewise, when the water is boiling, it doesn't switch off, you have to manually unplug it. Then wait for it to cool down before packing away, or maybe rinse under cold tap water to shorten the time.

Time it took to boil 400ml water: 4min30sec (I think this is a bit long, I was too impatient to watch water boil so I started washing dishes and then realised the water was boiling/had been boiling for some time as the coil didn't have an autostop). Time it took to boil 300ml water 2min30sec (but I was more aware and switch it off once it started boiling).

View attachment 124281
View attachment 124282

@LavanyaLea I think we are in business :)
As you pointed out, it is not perfect, and we have to pay attention to the process (no switch button, unplug before taking it out of the water, ......) and have some patience, but in terms of weight it pays off (91g coil + 35g collapsible cup!). It will probably take more than 5 minutes for my 0,8L bottle (plus cooling time), but it will be great to have a cup of hot tea in the trail.
Thank you for your help.

Hello Carla,

Have you done your Camino? If so, please report on how you addressed your tea issue, and how well your chosen gear worked out for you. Thanks!

I brought my home made alcohol pop can stove hoping to save the day with my wife or some hapless hypothermic pilgrim. In a raging rain and wind storm she opted for our destinatio, not hot tea. Denied. Later we met an Englishman who got lost, fallen into a ravine and credited his thermos of hot tea with saving his life. I always carry a thermos of hot tea mountaineering in the winter on day trips. I never again carried a stove.. Just tea bags and the delights of less stuff and sourcing hot water..

Yes. It really depends.

I love using camping stoves (especially alcohol stoves), and enjoy the self-sufficiency they provide. If not in a hurry, and it is not too windy, it’s great to take a break and brew up.

On the other hand, if conditions are miserable or I am trying to make miles, it’s far more convenient to simply pull out a vacuum flask.

Hello Carla,

Have you done your Camino? If so, please report on how you addressed your tea issue, and how well your chosen gear worked out for you. Thanks!

Hi Evan,
Yes, I did my first Camino (the Primitivo) in June 2022. It was an overwhelming experience. I am not an experienced hiker and for me it was really tough. One thing that helped was to do rest stops along the way, and a nice hot cup of tea was great. For me, the weight was a crucial point, so I went for the light pack: my favorite tea bags, a very small foil heater, a foldable cup and a thermos. It worked great as long as you remember the security steps in using the foil.
I would heat the water in the cup and have a tea in the morning at the albergue and put a second tea in the thermos (the foldable cup was also useful to drink water in the fountains along the way).
In some albergues they would give me the hot water in the morning and I would do the tea directly in the thermos.
Somedays I would do a refill in the middle of the day, I would just ask for hot water at a bar/coffee shop. I only had one not so good experience (close to Santiago, after we joined with other Caminos) in a bar that asked me to pay for the hot water the price of a tea, but they gave a small cookie as a bonus :)
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other doubts
Bueno Camino!

Thanks to all who talked about the coil and tea options in this and other threads.
I just did 2 weeks on the Portuguese camino and carried a rather heavy thermos for tea I had brought from home (Taylors of Harrogate Assam and other black tea). I did find a few spots that had red tea (puerh) that were ok, and the black tea in cafes and bars was drinkable. I found that using the coil or kettle in an albergue was good for the first cup, but I did find it easy to ask for hot water in a cafe/bar and point to my insulated half liter thermos. I brought a collapsible cup that I only used once or twice, and probably could have made do without. Bringing tea with me was non-negotiable, I am a tea junkie/snob :)
The coil works well and is very fast, happy I brought it with me!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.