• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tech Question/s

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Time of past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
1. It is my understanding I can get a digital sim card for my Samsung Note 20 Ultra, rather than a physical sim card, is this correct? Having not done this before, where would I access it? Online, or do I have to signup in a store?

2. With this second sim card in mind; am I able to access all apps on my phone when utilizing this sim card (112, etc.) or will I need to download again?

3. Best, internet provider that gives the best coverage in the more remote areas (if there is one).

4. I currently have a Verizon 5G Mii that provides internet where I generally would not able to otherwise; is a Spanish version of this worth considering?

Mahalo Nui for your guidance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Awesome, thank you! When will you travel?
I was looking at eSim's for a trip to the US, that won't happen for at least a year. I don't know when my next trip will be but it will probably be to Spain. So far my UK phone provider still has free roaming to the EU but that might change.
I think the company that I mentioned with eSims only does data, you don't get a phone number?

It has been suggested on the forum that rather than using an esim from a European carrier, that it's better for your esim to be from your home carrier.
It will then be easier to install a physical sim card, and get help with it from the store where you buy it.

1. It is my understanding I can get a digital sim card for my Samsung Note 20 Ultra, rather than a physical sim card, is this correct? Having not done this before, where would I access it? Online, or do I have to signup in a store?

2. With this second sim card in mind; am I able to access all apps on my phone when utilizing this sim card (112, etc.) or will I need to download again?

3. Best, internet provider that gives the best coverage in the more remote areas (if there is one).

4. I currently have a Verizon 5G Mii that provides internet where I generally would not able to otherwise; is a Spanish version of this worth considering?

I’m not familiar with your ’phone as I use an iPhone, but the principles are the same.

if you have time you might exchange your current physical SIM for an eSim. your network providers and phone suppliers websites should explain that. With Vodafone/iPhone it takes a couple of days and takes a bit of understanding.

If I could have been bothered going to a physical shop it would have been simple.

If you do that, you free-up your physical SIM slot; making the process of getting a SIM abroad much more simple. The SIM is only the ID which your phone uses to connect to a network. Changing SIMs affects nothing which you have downloaded, stored or configured on your ‘phone.

if you just want an eSim you’ll find them online, but if you can visit a real shop it’ll be easier.

Vodafone has always exceeded my expectations in Spain, but that’s compared to UK mobile coverage which can be like using two cans and a length of string.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think you would get the best results if you go into your current service providers store and ask them to swap your current SIM to an eSIM, as others have suggested.
In almost all cases everything will continue working when you put in the second SIM. You should also get your second SIM locally in Spain or whichever European country you arrive in first. This way they can help you set it up.

Ask them to set your local SIM as the default for data. You can only have one active data SIM at any moment.

Both SIMs can, however be used for phone calls and SMS TXTs. With incoming calls and TXTs you probably won't even notice which SIM they come in on but with outgoing calls and TXTs you will need to choose which SIM to use.

According to recent tests Vodafone has the best phone coverage by a small margin over Movistar but Movistar has better data coverage in Spain (you didn't say where you were doing your Camino). See the report here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...0QFnoECEUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw19A7fELmnX1MCPYKM6U1o4

Short answer, no. Unless you plan on taking a laptop or something similar and even then you can create a mobile hotspot using your phone.

Buen Camino

I’m not familiar with your ’phone as I use an iPhone, but the principles are the same.

if you have time you might exchange your current physical SIM for an eSim. your network providers and phone suppliers websites should explain that. With Vodafone/iPhone it takes a couple of days and takes a bit of understanding.

If I could have been bothered going to a physical shop it would have been simple.

If you do that, you free-up your physical SIM slot; making the process of getting a SIM abroad much more simple. The SIM is only the ID which your phone uses to connect to a network. Changing SIMs affects nothing which you have downloaded, stored or configured on your ‘phone.

if you just want an eSim you’ll find them online, but if you can visit a real shop it’ll be easier.

Vodafone has always exceeded my expectations in Spain, but that’s compared to UK mobile coverage which can be like using two cans and a length of string.
Thank you; I'll stop at our local Verizon store.

I think you would get the best results if you go into your current service providers store and ask them to swap your current SIM to an eSIM, as others have suggested.

In almost all cases everything will continue working when you put in the second SIM. You should also get your second SIM locally in Spain or whichever European country you arrive in first. This way they can help you set it up.

Ask them to set your local SIM as the default for data. You can only have one active data SIM at any moment.

Both SIMs can, however be used for phone calls and SMS TXTs. With incoming calls and TXTs you probably won't even notice which SIM they come in on but with outgoing calls and TXTs you will need to choose which SIM to use.

According to recent tests Vodafone has the best phone coverage by a small margin over Movistar but Movistar has better data coverage in Spain (you didn't say where you were doing your Camino). See the report here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...0QFnoECEUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw19A7fELmnX1MCPYKM6U1o4

Short answer, no. Unless you plan on taking a laptop or something similar and even then you can create a mobile hotspot using your phone.

Buen Camino
You should go into business with this knowledge!! Way too complex a subject for me. Just a quick mention I have never used Movistar only Vodafone and Orange. My last two caminos I switched from Orange to Vodafone because they had better prepaid plans that suited my needs and their recharge on the web was easier to navigate and pay. I always just go get a prepaid sim as soon as I arrive. I have to say that with both Orange and Vodafone I have always been able to connect without an issue to the internet if needed. I walked the VDLP last fall and only had a problem once and that was really in the middle of nowhere. I walked about 100 meters and had no problem. Had to call my daughter on Whatsapp. She had an urgent question about her favorite baseball player Derek Jeter. I doubt you know him being from NZ but trust me virtually every woman in New York wants Derek to be the father of their children. My girls included!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You should go into business with this knowledge!! Way too complex a subject for me. Just a quick mention I have never used Movistar only Vodafone and Orange. My last two caminos I switched from Orange to Vodafone because they had better prepaid plans that suited my needs and their recharge on the web was easier to navigate and pay. I always just go get a prepaid sim as soon as I arrive. I have to say that with both Orange and Vodafone I have always been able to connect without an issue to the internet if needed. I walked the VDLP last fall and only had a problem once and that was really in the middle of nowhere. I walked about 100 meters and had no problem. Had to call my daughter on Whatsapp. She had an urgent question about her favorite baseball player Derek Jeter. I doubt you know him being from NZ but trust me virtually every woman in New York wants Derek to be the father of their children. My girls included!
Looks like he's already taken...break it to your daughters gently 😉
1646587760163.png

Looks like he's already taken...break it to your daughters gently 😉
View attachment 119885
They already know this. I think Derek and his wife have 2 kids. It doesn’t stop my girls and countless others from dreaming haha! All of us Nee Yorkers especially Yankee fans have no words for our love and affection for Derek. In my mind he is the new face of the Modern Yankees supplanting The Babe. I think if anyone doesn’t know how absolutely loved he just watch the greatest commercial of all time. I get tears every time I see it. (Is this off target????? Haha)

They already know this. I think Derek and his wife have 2 kids. It doesn’t stop my girls and countless others from dreaming haha! All of us Nee Yorkers especially Yankee fans have no words for our love and affection for Derek. In my mind he is the new face of the Modern Yankees supplanting The Babe. I think if anyone doesn’t know how absolutely loved he just watch the greatest commercial of all time. I get tears every time I see it. (Is this off target????? Haha)
Terribly off topic and delightful. We all need someone to look up to, especially kids, especially now. Thanks for sharing 💙

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I guess that he is popular over there 🥝💗

What do you need to be able to do when away from wifi? The main Camino navigation apps work well enough offline, and I haven't minded waiting until my evening internet connection to do everything else. If you don't need to be reachable 24/7, you may not need a Spanish sim.

Probably the closest we have to Derek is Sonny Bill Williams (SBW) although he is a little bit more controversial here because he has a Samoan heritage and is a Muslim. Like Derek he is a strong family man, humble and with strong morals.

Possibly the most famous incident from his incredible career was just after the All Blacks (our national rugby team - vaguely related to America Football but without the helmets and body armour) had won the 2015 World Cup.

During the on-field celebrations a 14 boy managed to get through security and ran onto the field to congratulate SBW. A security guard tackled the boy to the ground. SBW lifted the security guard off the boy with one hand and protected him from the other security.

After introducing the boy to the team coach he took the boy back to his family, posed for photos with him and then handed him his Gold, World Cup winners medal!

Attached is a video recorded by the boy four years later that shows the incident and the repercussions for the boy in his life.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.