• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Technical clothing

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2014
Hello. I am doing my caminho training in the high temperatures of the Algarve,southern Portugal. Consequently i sweat a lot. I have read that technical clothing helps to some degree because of wicking moisture away from the body. I am really talking about T shirts and shirts here,my undies and socks are merino wool. This techie gear seems terribly expensive for what in effect is a recycled plastic bag,or is it worth the money ?? You input would be most welcomed. Thankyou.:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm from South Africa, also hot here. Invest in a technical, hiking shirt and t-shirt, it's worth it. When I started hiking I also frowned at the prices and I bought cheaper versions.

I quickly found out the advantages of the tech clothing. It is lighter, it also dries very quickly and doesn't crease much after wash.
In Afrikaans we have a saying: "Goedkoop koop is duur koop" (by buying cheap stuff, you might be ending up paying more)

It also depends how often you are going to use the clothes. No use spending a lot of money if you are not making full use of it.
Regards
Elsabe

Hello. I am doing my caminho training in the high temperatures of the Algarve,southern Portugal. Consequently i sweat a lot. I have read that technical clothing helps to some degree because of wicking moisture away from the body. I am really talking about T shirts and shirts here,my undies and socks are merino wool. This techie gear seems terribly expensive for what in effect is a recycled plastic bag,or is it worth the money ?? You input would be most welcomed. Thankyou.:)

Yes it can be expensive depending upon where you buy it and how much gear you want. If you take the bare minimum of one to wear and one to wash it might be more manageable money-wise. For me, the benefits of quick-drying, lightweight, wicking, body comfort and low volume are worth the cost.

You don't say where you are from but here are a couple links to the suppliers in the UK I tend to use. They might help you to make a decision. Amazon can be a useful source too.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk
http://www.tauntonleisure.com

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes it can be expensive depending upon where you buy it and how much gear you want. If you take the bare minimum of one to wear and one to wash it might be more manageable money-wise. For me, the benefits of quick-drying, lightweight, wicking, body comfort and low volume are worth the cost.

You don't say where you are from but here are a couple links to the suppliers in the UK I tend to use. They might help you to make a decision. Amazon can be a useful source too.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk
http://www.tauntonleisure.com

Buen Camino
to add to the list Cotswold - get a BMC card it gives you 15% off
go outdoors buy a loyalty card gives 10% off

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In addition to the above suggestions have a look at www.rohan.co.uk which this month, August, has some items on sale.
It is always worth checking the 'offers' or the 'souk' on Rohan. That is how we bought most our stuff from them - and if you have a store nearby you can order on-line and check the 'send to store' box - so no postage. Offers only on-line now, the shop sale ended on 3rd August :(.
I have 2 shirts which I have worn for training (almost daily walking) as well as my first venture on a part Camino - they are 6 years old and just beginning to show signs of wear. I only wear them to actually walk in and treat them as I would on the Camino - a good investment. Hope my Camino set last as long :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hmmm, if you downgrade everything like this, your best of wearing your "blue lagoon" outfit everyday. Much much cheaper.

Any idea how much money goes into developing tech t-shirts/fabrics? Research, testing ect... or the *** expensive knittingmachine used to make it? Want me to go on?

I buy tech t-shirts for 15-20 euros a piece. Is that sooo expensive for somethinh far more fuctional (on a camino or while doing sports) then a simple everyday cotton tshirt? I dont think so. But thats my opinion.

So strange that people always think that synthetic fabrics are cheaper then natural fabrics.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on your base layer, plenty of companies offer excellent synthetic base layers at affordable prices. The importance of wool or synthetic base layers is that these materials don't absorb and hold moisture which is a good thing.

Since you are in Portugal, stop by a local Decathlon and buy one of their inexpensive base-layer T-shirts (€6) and try it out. I have several and wear them for everything from painting the house to high-mountain hikes. Here is a link to their website.

Also you might enjoy this article about one man's quest to stay dry while hiking. He discusses the three-layer system and the importance of the base layer.

Enjoy! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmmm, if you downgrade everything like this, your best of wearing your "blue lagoon" outfit everyday. Much much cheaper.

Any idea how much money goes into developing tech t-shirts/fabrics? Research, testing ect... or the *** expensive knittingmachine used to make it? Want me to go on?

I buy tech t-shirts for 15-20 euros a piece. Is that sooo expensive for somethinh far more fuctional (on a camino or while doing sports) then a simple everyday cotton tshirt? I dont think so. But thats my opinion.

So strange that people always think that synthetic fabrics are cheaper then natural fabrics.
Thankyou for you post. However ,it would appear you got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.I do hope you are feeling somewhat better by now. Best wishes. Ps thanks for not "going on" btw.

With just our Bridgedale socks and Tilley hats on it will be interesting to compare our tans!
I live in a very sunny location and work in the sunshine for most of the day,as a consequence i avoid tanning like the plague,sso your tan sounds like it would win.
I capitulate. :):)

Total Rohan this year but for my socks boots and hat, my missus also wore the same, Rohan that is, not the same clothes.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola

The synthetic I have used smells bad after drenched in sweat,

I think most of them when newish aren't supposed to. But over time they breakdown.

I have both warm and cold weather tshirts. They certainly dry faster then anything else I've seen.

The cold weather stuff is lightweight and warm. Great for layering also.

There is a reason your body sweats. Its hot and needs to cool off. The body sweats, the moisture evaporates, and you are somewhat cooled off.

There are situations where you want to have sweat wicked (Sp?) away. Your feet for example need to stay dry in order to prevent cooking in your boots. However everything else should stay wet in hot weather.

WWII soldiers in the desert wore overcoats to prevent sweat from evaporating thus conserving body fluids.

In cold weather you want clothes to wick away moisture because you want to avoid losing heat. Its better to reduce work load or take off layers in order to avoid sweating in cold weather.

I found very good quality pure merino T-shirts at Aldi. Very fine, tightly woven, wicks beautifully, washes and dries like a dream. Aldi gear is variable, but these are great. Perfect for the Camino (as long as you like pink or black).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola

Merino fan here.
Expensive but mine has lasted years and worth it in my opinion.
The synthetic I have used smells bad after drenched in sweat, where as the merino somehow never do.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo
Think i shall go with merino as provided by God and not the rubbish tip.

I agree with the right clothing been the right investment. I took 3 pairs of long pants, quick-dry, very light and that was the BEST thing on my pack. I saw many people with jeans and pants that obviously do not dry overnight (Jeans are the absolute worst thing you can wear on the Camino).

I agree with the right clothing been the right investment. I took 3 pairs of long pants, quick-dry, very light and that was the BEST thing on my pack. I saw many people with jeans and pants that obviously do not dry overnight (Jeans are the absolute worst thing you can wear on the Camino).

Yes, I love Martin Sheen, especially having met him making the movie at Torres del Rio, but the jeans were definitely a mistake .....

I use ultra-fine merino clothes, my husband uses hi-tech synthetic. We both like our choices - but I wouldn't use cotton, it would be very uncomfortable as soon as you start to sweat, as well as being very inconveniently slow to dry after washing.
Maggie Ramsay
(The Italian Camino - Amazon)

WWII soldiers in the desert wore overcoats to prevent sweat from evaporating thus conserving body fluids.

Ooh whariwharangi!! - raising single eyebrow

- the only time one would be tempted to prevent evaporation by wearing a coat would be in the evenings when the desert temperature plummets - during the day you would increase your perspiration that would be absorbed by the coat and you would not benefit from evaporation.

It would be a race to see what killed you first dehydration, or my bet, heat stroke

Mmm this could be a new thread - do we have a doctor in the forum ;-)

(To keep on theme - I am in love with my merino base layer and love my Rohan long leave shirt ) - I had years of cotton and in this case I am in awe at how well the new stuff performs

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a reason your body sweats. Its hot and needs to cool off. The body sweats, the moisture evaporates, and you are somewhat cooled off.

There are situations where you want to have sweat wicked (Sp?) away. Your feet for example need to stay dry in order to prevent cooking in your boots. However everything else should stay wet in hot weather.

In cold weather you want clothes to wick away moisture because you want to avoid losing heat. Its better to reduce work load or take off layers in order to avoid sweating in cold weather.

I'm not sure I agree with your understanding of physiology here. The cooling effect caused by sweating is done through the evaporation of sweat, not just having moisture on your skin. Speeding up the evaporation process speeds up the cooling.

Yep, Rohan and EDZ layering, my two favourite online stores.

Now, Wayfarer and others - a request for an opinion from all you past-camino walkers.

In your opinions, and bear in mind, I will be walking at the very end of April, through May and into June.........depending if I last that long!!!!!!!!

I have nearly all my kit gathered and paid for but there are just a few things that need to be bought - amongst them - undergarments!

Given, Gentlemen, a choice between Rohan Ultra Silver Base Layers and EDZ Merino shorts and t-shirts which would you choose? And in your view what are the merits and de-merits of each?

The difference in cost is negligible so not an issue.

I await your opinions.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with your understanding of physiology here. The cooling effect caused by sweating is done through the evaporation of sweat, not just having moisture on your skin. Speeding up the evaporation process speeds up the cooling.

If you wick the sweat away its not causing any cooling due to evaporation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry, I should have added "Speeding up the evaporation process speeds up the cooling." :)

Actually all you get if you speed the evaporation process is no moisture on your skin (it is the moisture that conducts the heat from the body) and there is no cooling at all.

If you wick the sweat away its not causing any cooling due to evaporation.

The sweat evaporates from the base layer and so cools it and hence you.

Think back to when you have poured water over yourself and the water evaporates from your shirt - it feels cold (horribly so in winter, delightful in summer ). Or have I this horribly wrong?

So the thinking is that a non wiking cotton shirt will absorb the sweat and slow down the rate of evaporation - which is not good nor comfortable to skin ( rubbing and moisture) a wiking shirt is more comfortable as the sweat is not retained by the shirt but evaporates very quickly , and so grabs the "latent heat of evaporation" which cools the shirt and so your skin ( which is less moist & more comfortable)

I'll edit in a link

Last edited by a moderator:
What has always puzzled me is all the layers (and black to boot!) and headgear the Berbers wear out in the Sahara.

How does that work?!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The sweat evaporates from the base layer and so cools it and hence you.

Think back to when you have poured water over yourself and the water evaporates from your shirt - it feels cold (horribly so in winter, delightful in summer ). Or have I this horribly wrong?

So the thinking is that a non wiking cotton shirt will absorb the sweat and slow down the rate of evaporation - which is not good nor comfortable to skin ( rubbing and moisture) a wiking shirt is more comfortable as the sweat is not retained by the shirt but evaporates very quickly , and so grabs the "latent heat of evaporation" which cools the shirt and so your skin ( which is less moist & more comfortable)

I'll edit in a link

The part that is doing the cooling is your wet skin. Any shirt is not a conductor of heat and so it will not provide cooling.

The part that is doing the cooling is your wet skin. Any shirt is not a conductor of heat and so it will not provide cooling.

Nothing beats having moisture evaporate directly from your skin agreed.

But I found walking with a back pack more comfortable with a shirt on and having used cotton in jungle, arctic and hot conditions I find the modern fabrics beat cotton handsomely for comfort, warmth and also cooling - I guess as a wise post said earlier try them and see how you get on -

Ok found some info on t'web that might be useful

At backpackinglight.com

"To understand the properties of Merino wool fabrics you must first understand the structure and properties of wool fibers. Unlike synthetics, which have a uniform composition inside and out (i.e. it’s a hunk of plastic that may be shaped), individual wool fibers have an exterior scaly sheath, enclosing bundles of interior fibers (see photo 3). The surface of each fiber is hydrophobic (repels moisture), helping to repel water off the surface of the fabric.

Because of the complex internal structure of wool fibers, and the fact that the interior portion of the fiber is hydrophilic (attracts moisture), water can be absorbed INTO the fibers of a wool fabric, whereas in synthetic fabrics water is only held in the spaces between individual fibers since the fibers themselves do not absorb water. Merino wool fibers can absorb approximately 30 percent of their weight in water. Synthetic fibers themselves will not absorb any water. This means that wool fabrics will hold more moisture than synthetics and will take longer to dry. But in a wool fabric the water is stored away from the surface, and consequently a wool garment may not feel so clammy next to your skin when wet.

This ability to store moisture within the structure of the fabric gives wool some of its most useful properties. As your body warms up, the moisture stored within the fabric will begin to evaporate, cooling the air between your skin and the fabric. This same cooling effect will also hold for synthetic fabrics, but the additional moisture held within the wool fibers will prolong the cooling effect. So long as the wool is not completely saturated, its surface will stay dryer than a slightly wet synthetic layer, and it will not feel cold and clammy against your skin"

€149,-
Consider what you'll really need clothes to do on Camino: be comfortable in variable climates, avoid chaffing when they get wet, keep you as dry as possible, dry quickly after washing, hold up to day after day washing and wearing, be a slight as possible, not stink to high heaven if you can't wash them right away.

Cotton is comfortable when dry, but bad at most of these other needed features. Polyester is good at some of them. Marino blends are good at most of them but are expensive. If you're consider the total cost of your Camino, spending a bit more on the two sets of clothes that will be on your body mist of the time seems less significant. Happy shopping.

In my experience, there are two camps of people who invest in purpose-made clothing for the Camino.

The first group, including me, takes in those who prefer the synthetic "technical" fibers, for their light weight, wicking properties, insulation both against cold and heat, resistance to stains, fast drying, and designed-in sun protection.

I personally wear Underarmour short sleeve polo shirts. The flip-up collar helps protect my neck from the sun on hot days and the cold on, well cold and or rainy or snowy days. The collar is also more "dressy" when in a town or city in the evening. However, after grilling my arms on the Meseta this year, several pilgrims from OZ convinced me to use light colored, long sleeve polos next year.

The second "camp" is comprised of folks who swear by natural merino wool. They correctly point out that most of the natural properties of merino wool are the same as the synthetic fibers. I have tried both, and I respect both positions. From my experiences I developed a few principles and observations that you might find useful:

1. Natural wool, when wet, smells like - well wet wool. During May this year, I had occasion to deal with a flock of perhaps 200 or more sheep being led down a country road on the Meseta by their shepherd, sheep dog, and sheep donkey (yes, you heard it right - a sheep donkey). After that experience with these filthy, wet, very aromatic, but still awfully cute creatures, I cannot countenance my wool sweaters. I will likely get over this trepidation with time. But, believe me when I tell you that when wet, synthetic does not smell, while natural wool does. Merino wool smells less like wet wool, but if it contains lanolin, which it should, it will smell. it can make some folks nauseous...plan accordingly.

2. Merino wool does dry fairly fast and does insulate to a degree when when wet. But in my experience, synthetics dry faster. This becomes an issue when it rains for five days straight, your albergue is not heated, and the clotheslines are all outside - in the rain. You can roll and stomp on synthetics in a micro-fiber towel and put them back on if need be, even if they are still damp. Wool does not dry quite this fast. Neither fabric should EVER go in a clothes dryer.

3. Merino wool is superior for cushioning where cushioning is paramount - PERIOD. While I wear two pair of socks, the inner is Cool Max synthetic, and the outer is Smart Wool from New Zealand. I have yet to find a synthetic that provides the same "feel" and cushioning as merino wool-blend socks.

4. Undergarments are HIGHLY personal. My experience is that on a hot sweaty day, synthetics dry faster and keep you drier than does merino wool of similar construction. As a guy with nil space between his thighs, I prefer loose-fitting, synthetic boxers.

For my money, the best brand on the market is made by Ex-Officio. But this is my opinion. They advertise, "six countries, three weeks, two pair..." or something similar. They hand wash wonderfully in any sink, wring out nearly damp, and are good to go after maybe 4 hours even in a cold, damp albergue. I have worn just washed Ex Officio boxers after the " rolled in a towel stomp." They were fully dry in 30 minutes of wear.

I did also try a pair of merino wool boxer shorts. They were hotter, thicker, and less roomy than the synthetic type. For me, the choice was simple. I could not stand the "binding" feeling I got from the merino wool boxers. A guy has gotta be "free." Anything that even MIGHT chafe is off the consideration list.

My bottom line on "bottoms" is that you need to wear what is most comfortable for you, allowing for a six-to-seven hour walking day, in all conditions, wet or dry, with sketchy ability to wash and dry overnight.

In parallel with the OP (above) who commented that: "In Afrikaans we have a saying: "Goedkoop koop is duur koop" (by buying cheap stuff, you might be ending up paying more)" I have a corollary saying that I've learned over the years: "You will remember the value of the well bought items LONG after you have forgotten the cost.

At 61 years old, I found that is true for most things one buys. Clothing, footwear, and your rucksack / pack for the Camino is NOT the place to scrimp.

Regardless of which way you go, test it first. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I get concerned when I read posts about would be pilgrims spending large sums of money for high tech outdoor gear that is intended for serious outdoor expeditions.

I would not recommend wearing blue jeans but other than that there is nothing unusual about conditions on the camino that require expenditure for clothing for which you will likely have no use once the camino is finished.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
[QUOTE="whariwharangi, post: 234403, member: 20827"there is nothing unusual about conditions on the camino that require expenditure for clothing for which you will likely have no use once the camino is finished.[/QUOTE]
I hope my Camino is never finished and I get a lot more use out of my Camino gear. Last year's CF was a wonderful beginning but it certainly is not finished. Doing the Cammino di Assisi this year and, God willing, Le Puy to Santiago after that.

Karl

Has @MendiWalker said, visit a Decathlon, a SportZone, or a SportsDirect. You will find great gear, for cheap prices. I don't know if LIDL (the supermarket chain) it's selling anything for walking/hiking/running, but you can also check it out. I do buy a lot of things from their CRIVITS Outdoor brand which it's well worth the money for the quality that they offer!

Heat conducts more quickly through liquids than through gases. Heat also conducts more quickly through convection than through conduction, that is, when masses of fluids move rather then when they are still. Evaporation occurs when your heat is used to break the connections of the molecules and force them free into a different phase - gas.
That is why a breeze will help to relieve heat sensation, much more if your skin is wet.

Although a continuum of liquid between your skin and the outermost part of your t-shirt might be good loose heat while you are exerting yourself and temperatures are high. But moving around with a clamy shirt is not pleasant and as soon as conditions change you can quickly loose too much heat.

As others have mentioned, if you are in Portugal, they Sportzone, Sportsdirect and Decathlon are good stores to visit.
Lidl has promotions this week with sports gear, their products are usually good for the price.
Decatlhon is having sales now, so you can find both basic special tech shirts as well as merino for really great prices.

Most sports t-shirts, shorts and bras are actually not very expensive, except for big name brands. Only those anti-odor ones (with silver particles I believe) are really a bit pricier. Merino will also be more expensive, their anti-odor properties are natural. Their are confortable if your don't find them a bit scratchy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Most sports t-shirts, shorts and bras are actually not very expensive, except for big name brands. Only those anti-odor ones (with silver particles I believe) are really a bit pricier. .

Agreed. Even without any sale at Decathlon you likely can pick up all the summer tshirt/a-shirts you need for about €20. The winter ones are a bit more money (Long sleeved).

Of course nothing stops you wearing them afterwards. The winter ones make good base layers when it's really cold out.

The only potential risk I see with Decathlon is they use French sizing. If you aren't used to this try the things on. Personally I wouldn't trust the conversions to US/UK sizing they print on the labels.

My advice is go with merino T shirts as well, cool in summer, warm in winter and don't get smelly if you don't get to wash them for a few days. Great wicking as well.
Wow! Lots of good advice. Here's what worked for me on the Camino (and when I'm hiking at home): 2 merino wool T shirts (SmartWool); 1 pair REI Northway convertible pants (4-way stretch nylon/spandex dries fast); 3 pair ExOfficio Give-N-Go underwear (quick-dry); 1 pair shorts; 2 pair WrightSock Merino Coolmesh II anti-blister socks; 1 Nike windbreaker; 1 REI polyester knit long-sleeve shirt with UPF 50; 1 pair SmartWool long johns (wore these at night while the hiking pants were being washed/dryed).

Have a great adventure!

Agreed. Even without any sale at Decathlon you likely can pick up all the summer tshirt/a-shirts you need for about €20. The winter ones are a bit more money (Long sleeved).

Of course nothing stops you wearing them afterwards. The winter ones make good base layers when it's really cold out.

The only potential risk I see with Decathlon is they use French sizing. If you aren't used to this try the things on. Personally I wouldn't trust the conversions to US/UK sizing they print on the labels.

Having lived in Belgium for several years, travelled extensively across Europe for decades, and done two Caminos, I can attest to the European sizing issue. I love shopping in Decathlon and make a "pilgrimage" to the local super-store each time I return to Europe. They have so many "cool" things I cannot find in the U.S.

Here are my sizing "rules of thumb"

1. If the item is made in Spain or Italy, add at LEAST two sizes to what you think you wear. Example, in the U.S. I wear an XL t-shirt. To get the same fit in Spain or Italy, I have to get a XXXL - yes a triple extra large. Evidently Spanish and Italian men are more vain than elsewhere, d'ya think? But some men should never wear stretchy knit material - anywhere...

2. If the items are made elsewhere in Europe or the world for that matter, add ONE extra size. Again, and using me as the example, my U.S. XL size, requires a XXL anywhere in Europe for an equivalent fit. If the items is 100 % cotton and is NOT pre-shrunk, consider adding an additional size for shrinkage. But upsizing one size generally works for me,

3. Check the cut or "fit" of the garment. Many shirts, sweaters, and jackets in Europe are tapered for tall, thin people. Be aware that a tapered, larger size may not work. You may have to upsize one additional size to overcome the tapering effect.

If in doubt try it on first. If a shirt, sweater, jacket, etc. looks okay when tried on over the shirt I am wearing, and I do not look like a wurst, then the size it correct. If everylove handle and moob is showing, we have a problem and need to increase the size.

Also, I apply these rules for souvenirs I buy for friends and family as well. So far, I have been right every time.

I hope this helps.

Here are my sizing "rules of thumb"

2. If the items are made elsewhere in Europe or the world for that matter, add ONE extra size. Again, and using me as the example, my U.S. XL size, requires a XXL anywhere in Europe for an equivalent fit. If the items is 100 % cotton and is NOT pre-shrunk, consider adding an additional size for shrinkage. But upsizing one size generally works for me,
Actually, if you are buying something in Asia, you may need to do a little different. If you wear an XL in the US, forget about finding something out here that fits. Ditto for if you are a Large. If you normally wear Medium, look for XXXL here. :p

1. If the item is made in Spain or Italy, add at LEAST two sizes to what you think you wear. Example, in the U.S. I wear an XL t-shirt. To get the same fit in Spain or Italy, I have to get a XXXL - yes a triple extra large. Evidently Spanish and Italian men are more vain than elsewhere, d'ya think? But some men should never wear stretchy knit material - anywhere...

I didn't mean vanity sizing which is mainly an US/UK thing. An Italian L is more or less aimed at a 100 cm chest. It's been that way forever. The size creep that is common in North America isn't normal in Europe (Outside of the UK)

What I meant was Decathlon prints various sizes on it's labels. Eur (Aka French for outwear). US,Brasilian and I think Chinese. The US sizing isn't always what you expect. Even for things like pants sized in inches.

I love buying clothing with US sizing. It constantly surprises me how small I am. Whereas in France.....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
French, Italian and to some degree Spanish sizes are the normal sizes for healthy sized people. Give or take the normal cultural differences there have always been and always will be. These measurements were also what "we" used 20 years ago, but then the world became fatter and fatter and thus sizes had to change.

The Spanish are catching up though, leaving the French and the Italian to be the only normal (old fashioned) sized countries in Europa. My guess, the French are next.

I do not care what the label says, as long as the clothing fits nicely. My comments are based on direct experience. There might be an element of "vanity sizing" at play here. But, again, if it fits all is good...

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back