• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Techniques and Tips For Cold Weather Walking

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Time of past OR future Camino
When deciding on gear and clothing choices related to walking in colder weather, it is important to make these considerations in conjunction with how one might use them to best effect. Adequate clothing can fail to prevent hypothermia, for example, if good technique is ignored.

Layering clothing for temperature regulation and comfort is a biggie. You never dress with the amount of clothing needed to keep you warm at the start of walking or hiking... you wear the amount of clothing needed to keep you warm 10 minutes after you start walking.

In cold weather, or even cool weather, one needs to do what is necessary to prevent overheating and sweat. That includes how fast a pace one is moving at in exerting energy, as well as how much clothing one is wearing, and how much air circulation one is able to maintain.

It does not take long, with any layering amount, to saturate clothing with sweat. THAT is when the danger of hypothermia, and at the very least a chilly discomfort will begin to take its toll. If saturation or wetness happens, the only recourse is to change into dry clothing. Since there is usually a limited amount of clothing carried in a backpack, it is essential to adopt strategies to control sweating. Keep in mind that the material of your layers will also determine the effect to you from the above scenario. Focus on clothing made from merino wool or specialized synthetics. These will allow the garment to remain somewhat insulative even though saturated with sweat. Cottons and cotton blends are a menace and can accelerate a hypothermic condition.

Strategies include those mentioned above:
  • Limit layers of clothing to only those needed when full exertion is going to be achieved. For those who can't suck it up ;) for a few minutes, then wear only layers which can be quickly and easily removed. For instance, adding a poncho will add about a 15 degree F advantage to existing layers. It allows for good air circulation. As you warm up during the first 10 minutes of your walk, the poncho is easily removed and stashed into a side pocket of your pack.
  • Move as slow as you need to, within reason, to keep perspiration to a minimum. This may also mean stopping to allow your body to cool down. Even with a single, lightweight layer, some folks walking under load will tend to over-heat. Keep monitoring yourself.
  • Keep an insulative layer near at hand so that if you are wetting-out while walking, you can put it on quickly when you stop for a break. Keep it in an outside pocket or on top of the other contents in your pack. A light puffy jacket or mid-weight fleece or a down vest works well here. The key is to keep this layer dry and to use it as a last resort when at rest. If this strategy is needed, do not continue walking until you have been able to stop sweating and you can achieve some level of dryness to your clothes.
In the above scenario, you may actually become warmer by removing your saturated layers so that you only have on your dry insulative layer. Dig out a towel and dry off excess sweat as best you can. Wring out your other layers and let them start to dry. If you have a second shirt, put it on. Hang your wet things from your pack so that they can dry. After you have cooled down, and with your dry layer and your insulative layer on, walk slowly to avoid re-heating. You will make progress down the path, stay warm, while letting your wet layers become dry. The real goal at this point is to dry your layers, not achieve distance.
  • Do not discount the amount of added warmth a light scarf or bandanna or a buff will bring as it insulates your neck. Wearing one can make wearing less layers very comfortable. It will also be a good first line of defense against over-heating and excess sweating by the ability to remove it, thus allowing the neck to act as a radiator in helping to shed body heat.
  • Yes, the type of head gear worn makes a big difference in one's body's heat loss or retention. A hat that works well for sun is not going to be the best choice for cold weather. Wool is king, as it is far less impacted by sweat affecting its inuslative properties than most other materials. And even though wool weighs more than other types of insulation, you do not need a heavy cap of wool to keep you warm. Wool is also far more breathable than many materials which aids in heat control.
As with neck wear, a wool cap can be easily removed to assist with cooling the body to prevent overheating.

Much of the above is what I have used when mountain climbing at high altitudes. Patience and light, multiple layers is the key to preventing hypothermia when being active outdoors.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When deciding on gear and clothing choices related to walking in colder weather, it is important to make these considerations in conjunction with how one might use them to best effect. Adequate clothing can fail to prevent hypothermia, for example, if good technique is ignored.

Layering clothing for temperature regulation and comfort is a biggie. You never dress with the amount of clothing needed to keep you warm at the start of walking or hiking... you wear the amount of clothing needed to keep you warm 10 minutes after you start walking.

In cold weather, or even cool weather, one needs to do what is necessary to prevent overheating and sweat. That includes how fast a pace one is moving at in exerting energy, as well as how much clothing one is wearing, and how much air circulation one is able to maintain.

It does not take long, with any layering amount, to saturate clothing with sweat. THAT is when the danger of hypothermia, and at the very least a chilly discomfort will begin to take its toll. If saturation or wetness happens, the only recourse is to change into dry clothing. Since there is usually a limited amount of clothing carried in a backpack, it is essential to adopt strategies to control sweating. Keep in mind that the material of your layers will also determine the effect to you from the above scenario. Focus on clothing made from merino wool or specialized synthetics. These will allow the garment to remain somewhat insulative even though saturated with sweat. Cottons and cotton blends are a menace and can accelerate a hypothermic condition.

• Limit layers of clothing to only those needed when full exertion is going to be achieved. For those who can't suck it up ;) for a few minutes, then wear only layers which can be quickly and easily removed. For instance, adding a poncho will add about a 15 degree F advantage to existing layers. It allows for good air circulation. As you warm up during the first 10 minutes of your walk, the poncho is easily removed and stashed into a side pocket of your pack.
  • Move as slow as you need to, within reason, to keep perspiration to a minimum. This may also mean stopping to allow your body to cool down. Even with a single, lightweight layer, some folks walking under load will tend to over-heat. Keep monitoring yourself.
  • Keep an insulative layer near at hand so that if you are wetting-out while walking, you can put it on quickly when you stop for a break. Keep it in an outside pocket or on top of the other contents in your pack. A light puffy jacket or mid-weight fleece or a down vest works well here. The key is to keep this layer dry and to use it as a last resort when at rest. If this strategy is needed, do not continue walking until you have been able to stop sweating and you can achieve some level of dryness to your clothes.
In the above scenario, you may actually become warmer by removing your saturated layers so that you only have on your dry insulative layer. Dig out a towel and dry off excess sweat as best you can. Wring out your other layers and let them start to dry. If you have a second shirt, put it on. Hang your wet things from your pack so that they can dry. After you have cooled down, and with your dry layer and your insulative layer on, walk slowly to avoid re-heating. You will make progress down the path, stay warm, while letting your wet layers become dry. The real goal at this point is to dry your layers, not achieve distance.
  • Do not discount the amount of added warmth a light scarf or bandanna or a buff will bring as it insulates your neck. Wearing one can make wearing less layers very comfortable. It will also be a good first line of defense against over-heating and excess sweating by the ability to remove it, thus allowing the neck to act as a radiator in helping to shed body heat.
  • Yes, the type of head gear worn makes a big difference in one's body's heat loss or retention. A hat that works well for sun is not going to be the best choice for cold weather. Wool is king, as it is far less impacted by sweat affecting its inuslative properties than most other materials. And even though wool weighs more than other types of insulation, you do not need a heavy cap of wool to keep you warm. Wool is also far more breathable than many materials which aids in heat control.
As with neck wear, a wool cap can be easily removed to assist with cooling the body to prevent overheating.

Much of the above is what I have used when mountain climbing at high altitudes. Patience and light, multiple layers is the key to preventing hypothermia when being active outdoors.
Yes! Any tips for type of gloves?

am pinning this to my START page on my desk top so that she who will accompany me for first time this coming APRIL will see that it is written by ONE WHO KNOWS and not just me trying to be clever :) :)

SAMARKAND.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

The gloves that I use are a polartec power stretch glove. There are a number of manufacturers, and can be found from REI to Amazon. I prefer those designed for winter running. Nowadays, they have fingertips that can work with touchscreens, too.

the type of head gear worn makes a big difference in one's body's heat loss or retention
When I was about 4 years old I asked my granddad why he wore his hat in the house, and he said “to keep my feet warm”. I have never forgotten that, and it is so true.

As I grew up, when I slept outside on hiking trails, in cold weather, I put my woolly hat on before getting into my sleeping bag, and thought fondly of granddad, who died when I was 5.

I used and still use the cheapest glove Decathlon is selling. They are like 2€ (iirc used to be 1€) and come in around 25g. They are not waterproof, but the fabric itself is just simple plastic, so it drys very fast. I might not use them in winter (well, i do now, but it's hardly winter in germany), but they should be good for 3 seasons.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Having been a (winter) soldier in Arctic climate, I can fully attest to the advice given by @davebugg .

Adding to his good advice: You are a walking heating engine, generating ca. 100 W. For drying moist/wet socks, put one in each armpit overnight: You may smell, but your socks will be warm and dry in the morning.

For moist shoes: Put them in an open plastic bag and store them in the bottom of your sleeping bag overnight: They will be dry and soft next morning.

Your sleeping bag may need a wash after a few days, but you will be warm and dry.:cool::D

When I was about 4 years old I asked my granddad why he wore his hat in the house, and he said “to keep my feet warm”. I have never forgotten that, and it is so true.

As I grew up, when I slept outside on hiking trails, in cold weather, I put my woolly hat on before getting into my sleeping bag, and thought fondly of granddad, who died when I was 5.
jsalt,
I agree with you and your granddad about winter walking pleasures/difficulties, ie what to eat, wear, and expect.
I never expected but always hoped. Some albergues were heated, some not. Often the heat would be turned off during the coldest hours of the night!!

However wearing winter tights, a long sleeve shirt and loose socks as well as a warm hat to sleep was always helpful when in a cold place.

The coldest I ever slept on the camino was late February 2006 in the Hornillos del Camino then
unheated public albergue space when my breath hung white in the frigid interior and ice formed in the toilet bowl!! Nevertheless I was toasty dressed as above.

Last edited:
Having been a (winter) soldier in Arctic climate, I can fully attest to the advice given by @davebugg .

Adding to his good advice: You are a walking heating engine, generating ca. 100 W. For drying moist/wet socks, put one in each armpit overnight: You may smell, but your socks will be warm and dry in the morning.

For moist shoes: Put them in an open plastic bag and store them in the bottom of your sleeping bag overnight: They will be dry and soft next morning.

Your sleeping bag may need a wash after a few days, but you will be warm and dry.:cool::D
So long ago that I really should forget it, I spent a couple of weeks being chased all over the Hardangervidda by your compatriots whilst we attempted to pretend to destroy some fictitious power plant. In the alcohol-sodden debrief after the course it was clear that whilst our kit was based around the (30 years ago) synthetic materials most of the Norwegians kit was wool.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Interesting point about shoes. Never tried that, but will do sometime needed!😳🙂

So long ago that I really should forget it, I spent a couple of weeks being chased all over the Hardangervidda by your compatriots whilst we attempted to pretend to destroy some fictitious power plant. In the alcohol-sodden debrief after the course it was clear that whilst our kit was based around the (30 years ago) synthetic materials most of the Norwegians kit was wool.
Many NATO countries are having exercises each year in our Arctic environment. It is an important NATO training ground for them. I have been an instructor for them. It was always fun to kick their a.ses. :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Super helpful @davebugg. So walking slower is not only good for seeing the scenery, it reduces your chances of hypothermia, too. I really should pin this to my forehead but pinning it to my phone will have to do. lol Thank you.

Hi Alexwalker I always have a newspaper or two stuffed in my pack. When my shoes are wet newspaper when I arrive at the albergue. Then again before bed. Dry shoes in the morning.

For cold weather, I wear my Under Armour Level 3 Base shirt.

-Paul

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.