• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Techy" question...

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
A gal on the forum recently referred to herself as not being very techy. I got a laugh out of that and was glad to have "some company" as it totally reminds me of myself as I bumble my way along trying to navigate this forum.

I only use my smartphone for everything I do on the internet and my laptop sits collecting dust. I seem to be having problems as rather frequently when I am logged in to the forum and I go to comment on a post, it says "You must be logged in to do this". Well, I AM logged in, but I then go back to the top to double check and it shows my user name as still being logged in. Kind of frustrating because I then have to back out and log in again to place my comment. Could this problem be from using my phone provider when away instead of always being connected to my wifi?

Also, I my "alerts" are coming in to my profile page, which I like, but also as email notifications, which I prefer not to receive. At the bottom of the email it says you can "Disable all emails". But I am unable to click on anything that works to remove them. What am I doing wrong here? Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yep, technology, who needs it. Try changing your 'phones default browser, updating your default browser, or placing your 'phone in a 5 litre bucket of salt water for 25 hours and then using your laptop. ;)

The settings for your alerts are in your Profile pages - untick what you don't want :)

Yep, technology, who needs it. Try changing your 'phones default browser, updating your default browser, or placing your 'phone in a 5 litre bucket of salt water for 25 hours and then using your laptop. ;)

The settings for your alerts are in your Profile pages - untick what you don't want :)
Thank you, Tincatinker. I will have to show your reply to hubby to help me as the only part of what you said that I can decifer is to "drown my phone in a bucket of salt water!" THAT much I can do on my own!:D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A couple of suggestions for your laptop are:
  1. Make sure you FULLY shutdown the machine, not just "sleep" mode, and then restart. I recommend holding the power button down for about 10 seconds after the screen goes dark. Then wait a minute and restart using the power button and try browsing to the forum again.
  2. Make sure that you have all the latest software updates installed. The procedure for checking this varies across operating systems so you may need help to check and force any outstanding updates.

A lot of strange behaviors can be cleared up with these two steps.

Hope this helps,

-jgp

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A couple of suggestions for your laptop are:
  1. Make sure you FULLY shutdown the machine, not just "sleep" mode, and then restart. I recommend holding the power button down for about 10 seconds after the screen goes dark. Then wait a minute and restart using the power button and try browsing to the forum again.
  2. Make sure that you have all the latest software updates installed. The procedure for checking this varies across operating systems so you may need help to check and force any outstanding updates.

A lot of strange behaviors can be cleared up with these two steps.

Hope this helps,

-jgp
Thank you for your helpful input. I am saving all these suggestions and will have my husband see if he can help work out some of the kinks! :confused:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.