• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Telephone communication & Albuergue Reservations

Humbertico

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan 2018
I have been reading about the benefits of switching to t-mobile from other carriers. My question is how difficult is it to communicate remotely in calling ahead to reserve for a place to stay and how early in each stage should you be doing this instead of just showing up by 2 pm when most open? Will these be land line calls which could be costly 30 plus stages. I have an Apple iPhone and currently have Verizon as my carrier. Gracias Perrigrinos. Humbertico

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Two years ago I used my I Phone and Verizon. I purchased the $40 plan which gave me 100 minutes of international calling. We either booked on line or phoned ahead, sometimes two nights ahead every day. As we were slow walkers, it paid off; as often the Albergues were full. Our main difficulty was language. But with the help of our google translator and patience, we were able to make reservations with never a problem.

This year we are walking the Camino from Porto to Santiage. I plan to do the same thing. I do however, book the first few nights in advance of the trip so I know where I am staying.

Buen Camino
Bob

I have been reading about the benefits of switching to t-mobile from other carriers. My question is how difficult is it to communicate remotely in calling ahead to reserve for a place to stay and how early in each stage should you be doing this instead of just showing up by 2 pm when most open? Will these be land line calls which could be costly 30 plus stages. I have an Apple iPhone and currently have Verizon as my carrier. Gracias Perrigrinos. Humbertico
Gracias! A read on one of the blogs that sometimes in the Albuegue you are staying they can call ahead for you. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Humbertico[/QUOTE]
Gracias! I read on one of the blogs that sometimes in the Albuegue you are staying they can call ahead for you. Buen Camino

Use an app like Viber or Skype to make calls to landlines while you are on wifi. I haven't used Skype, but I know that you can buy credit with them to call any phone. With Viber if you buy $5 worth of credit it should last you the entire Camino. That said, it's usually not necessary to reserve in advance, so you wouldn't need to do it every day, though it can be more convenient. sometimes.

Use an app like Viber or Skype to make calls to landlines while you are on wifi. I haven't used Skype, but I know that you can buy credit with them to call any phone. With Viber if you buy $5 worth of credit it should last you the entire Camino. That said, it's usually not necessary to reserve in advance, so you wouldn't need to do it every day, though it can be more convenient. sometimes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My Spanish is basic, so it was a 50/50 chance for me as to whether I could actually make a booking, once the phone was answered. Sometimes I could ask at the albergue for them to call ahead, sometimes that conversation wasn't possible either. Too little English/too little Spanish combination. If the phone call wasn't a possibility I used Booking.com. At least that way I had a more accurate idea of what I was getting. The other way (phone) was a bit exciting, I never knew exactly what I was getting.
I made bookings a day ahead mostly.
Although in busy months we were advised to book from OCebreiro onward.

You can reserve at private albergues but not at the municipal or public ones which work on a first come first served basis. We have booked private albergues but if you book more than a few days ahead you will be asked to reconfirm the day before or on the day. This is to reduce the number of no shows whose ambition proved greater than the reality in terms of distance covered. However, if you do run out of steam catch a taxi forward and return next day to your stopping point rather than lose a reservation.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
MikeyC - I plan to walk a Short Stage Camino in May, using the plan Mark McCarthy posted in Resources. Success depends on being able to telephone for taxis. How much Spanish do I need? How much does a taxi cost per km?

Local drivers along the Camino are well used to Pilgrims but where you are and where you want to go will be useful. The general rule for some years has been €1 / Km.

This number may come in handy ;)

Attachments

• IMGP2002.jpg
    IMGP2002.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
MikeyC - I plan to walk a Short Stage Camino in May, using the plan Mark McCarthy posted in Resources. Success depends on being able to telephone for taxis. How much Spanish do I need? How much does a taxi cost per km?

Hi Nate
I think Tinca's post pretty much covers it. Google translate or similar if you feel up to trying Spanish. Asking a fellow pilgrim for help is fine as well.
As per above picture local taxi firms advertise along the Camino so take pictures as you go.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back