A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Telephoning cheaply from Spain?

Camino(s) past & future
Francés, Plata, Levante, Norte (part) and Primitivo, 2016 Catalan 2017 Lana (part) Madrid
Hello all!

Any hints as to the cheapest way to telephone from Spain to another European country - in my case, Belgium? I'll be telephoning from public telephones.

At present I'm thinking of either buying telephone calling cards or using my Visa card.

Advertisment

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi eamann,

I know of two types of phone cards.

1) The ones from Telefonica that you put into the payphone (it has a small chip on the card that stores your balance). I don't think the calls are especially cheap, don't remember the prices since it has been a while since I have used one.

- I think you can get these cards from "Estancos" (tabacco stores). But I have not bought one of these cards in a few years, so I am not 100% sure.

2) Then you have the card where you call a free number and punch in a long code that is on the card to make calls. There are a lot of these cards, some have great prices some not. You may even be able to buy these types of cards at home (in Belgium). Many of them have toll-free numbers for several countries on the back. I know of these cards since I bought a few in Oslo (Norway) last summer.

One option is the Eurodirect card (I have not tried this):
http://www.onspanishtime.com/europhonec ... t/home.htm

Also read an earlier thread on the "Phone" topic here:
viewtopic.php?t=85

Buen camino,
Ivar

Camino(s) past & future
Francés, Plata, Levante, Norte (part) and Primitivo, 2016 Catalan 2017 Lana (part) Madrid
Phone cards

Thanks Ivar for your suggestions. I think I'll opt for Eurodirect.

Best wishes,

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%