• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tell me about credential stamps/sellos

S

sjf

I’m in transit and will arrive in Lugo tonight to start walking tomorrow. I have my credencial, and am curious about how/where I get the stamps to fill it. Are they obvious? Do I have to go looking or ask? Let’s say I walk into the cathedral in Lugo this evening looking for my first sello: where do I go and what do I do?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks. That’s not quite what I’m asking. I know where the sellos are located but I’m not sure what the process is to get one in my credencial. Are they obviously marked and free for the stamping? Carefully guarded by cathedral/post office/other staff? Or hidden somewhere obscure?

How do I go about actually getting a stamp in my credencial when I’m in a location that has one?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In albergues a sello is part of the check in process because you must show your pilgrim passport to get a bed. In other accommodations you will generally need to ask for a sello. In some churches and cathedrals there may be a volunteer waiting at a table with a donativo box handing out sellos. If the cathedral is one where you have to pay to visit then your pilgrim passport may get you a discount and its usually the person collecting the money who will stamp your pilgrim passport. Some churches have a table with a self service set up of stamp pad and stamp and a donativo box. It is normal to leave a small donation. Many cafes, bars, shops, government departments, museums, etc have their own sello and if no self service sello is set up they will usually stamp your pilgrim passport on request. Some enterprising locals even set up a table outside their houses and offer sellos for donativo though this usually only happens closer to Santiago. Happy sello hunting and buen camino.

In Lugo cathedral the stamp is in the sacristy, you have to find someone and ask. It is not a paying cathedral, the Blessed Sacrament is exposed all day and people go in to pray. I found a sacristan without any problem but I may have just been lucky.

At the Lugo cathedral there often is a volunteer happy to give mini guided tours. Well worth it by the way. That person may also stamp your credencial.

When you arrive in Melide and from then in you will see people going mad for stamps and misbehaving, running in and out of coffee shops to get a stamp and yet not buying a thing, or barging in chapel and churches for the same reason, without any respect for those praying. Please don’t be one of these people. It’s not a treasure hunt. You only need one stamp a day on top of the one from where you will be spending the night.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Almost any Bar, your Albergue, the local church or cathedral and enterprising merchants with pop-up stands along the Camino. Buen Camino!

I should add that this is not a phenomenon limited to Spain. One can obtain stamps all along the Way(s) of St James as it (they) cross Europe from as far east as Warsaw and Bratislava. My furthest-east stamp is from the cathedral in Prague, for example. In the Czech Republic and Germany, many times the stamp (Stempel in German) is the local inn's return-address stamp, rather than a fancier or more pilgrim-oriented design. The efficient Swiss have sometimes resorted to self-stick labels (a la return address stickers) with the appropriate legend and sometimes a design. In churches, look near the entry door for a small desk or tabletop. Sometimes there is a pad of paper so you can make sure you you know which side is "up". In France, the stamps with designs are much more common, and one usually gets the stamp (tampon in French) when you pay for the lodging (sometimes that's at night, sometimes in the morning). Stamps never expire - they continue to be valid for years and across several credencials - until you reach Santiago.

Last edited:
I got a sticker stamp in Porto. Certainly adds some pretty colours to your credencial. I also have two others that are hand drawings, one from the Primitivo, one from from VDLP. And another one Portugal is actually made with two different stamps, two colours and a template to make sure both stamps align well to get the final product.

Ah, and also one from Hungarian pilgrim who had her own made. I decided to copy her but addd my email address to it. Easier than dicatating it to people while they try to put it in their smart phone.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I got a sticker stamp in Porto. Certainly adds some pretty colours to your credencial. I also have two others that are hand drawings, one from the Primitivo, one from from VDLP. And another one Portugal is actually made with two different stamps, two colours and a template to make sure both stamps align well to get the final product.

Ah, and also one from Hungarian pilgrim who had her own made. I decided to copy her but addd my email address to it. Easier than dicatating it to people while they try to put it in their smart phone.
I once met an enterprising young couple with a donkey camping within the last 100 kms to Santiago. Their donativo stamp was cut out of a potato.
And PS I hope I didn’t imply that getting sellos is like treasure hunting. It certainly does need to be done with respect and consideration for those who are providing the sellos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.