• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tell me about the Monasteries along the Camino Francés

ShelleyW

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk mid Sept to end of Oct, 2018
I’m interested in which Monestaries welcome Pilgrams for meals , sleep and mass. I would love to hear of personal experiences with these intriguing historic places. Which monestaries are must see, which are maintained to accommodate, hours, restrictions etc... I would appreciate any current information about your favorite historic sites along the the Camino Francés as I plan my pilgrimage next month.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Below is my list which I hope you find useful.
MM

Active Monasteries/Convents/Chapter houses Along the CF Which Host Pilgrims

listed by Etapa/Stage in geographic sequence from east to west along the camino
long/lat coordinates are given and sites are located on an interactive Google map

accommodation may be pilgrim albergue, hospederia, or on-site hotel
available Eroski and Gronze albergue citations as well as site specific webs are linked
mspath links my relevant 2004-2014 Camino Gazetteer posts/photos

Etapa/Stage 1--Roncevalles, long./lat. 43.009829, -1.319609
Real Colegiata de Roncesvalles,
three albergues; new, old and winter, in monastery structures
three hotels
Eroski >
Gronze >
monastery web>
albergue web >
lodging web >
////
mspath >

Etapa/Stage 3--Trinidad de Arre, long./lat. 42.836184, -1.604158
Santisma Trinidad de Arre
albergue in monastery garden
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
albergue web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 9--Santo Domingo de la Calzada, long./lat. 42.439793, -2.951042
Nuestra Senora de la Anunciacion
albergue in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
albergue web>

lodging web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Section 12-- (off CF se of Burgos), Santo Domingo de Silos, long./lat. 41.961894, -3.419348
Monasterio Santo Domingo de Silos
monastery web>
hosperderia for men only hosperderia web >

Etapa/Stage 15--Carrion de los Condes, long./lat. 42.336832, -4.598489
Monasterio de Santa Clara,
albergue-hospederia in monastery
Eroski>
Gronze>

Espiritu Santo, long./lat. 42.336262, -4.602998
albergue in monastery
Eroski>
Gronze>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 17--Sahagun, long./lat/ 42.369572, -5.035756
Monasterio de las Madres Benedictinas de Santa Cruz
albergue-hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
////

Etapa/Stage 18--Leon, long./lat. 42.595183, -5.567970
Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Carbajalas), albergue in monastery
hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 21--Rabanal del Camino, long./lat. 42.482154, -6.284901
San Salvador de Monte Irago Monasterio
(spiritual retreats of 2 or more nights)
monastery web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 26--Samos, long./lat. 42.732478, -7.325386
Monasterio de Samos,
albergue in monastery
hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 26--Sarria, long./lat, 42.778979, -7.420942
Monasterio de la Magdalena,
albergue in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>

Etapa/Stage 29--Sobrado dos Monxes, ( off CF north of Melide,) long./lat. 43.038674, -8.022554
Santa Maria do Sobrado Monasterio
albergue in ex stable
hospederia in monastery
monastery web>
////
mspath>

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Definitely use the links mspath provided! Not all monastery stays are equal. The albergue at Samos is built into the exterior walls, but faces the street and doesn't actually connect to the monastery proper. I ended up taking a bed above the bar across the street.

All are welcome to tour the monastery in the afternoon, which I highly recommend. It's stunningly beautiful, inside and out.

I would vote for Cistercian Abbey of Santa Maria in Canas (detour) on the stretch between Azofra and Ciruena. It's on asphalt all the way, but those alabaster windows are just amazing. Not touristy at all, pilgrim discount and you also don't have to walk through that almost abandoned urbanizacion with golf course just before Ciruena.
They don't cater for pilgrims or offer place to sleep though.

I would vote for Cistercian Abbey of Santa Maria in Canas (detour) on the stretch between Azofra and Ciruena. It's on asphalt all the way, but those alabaster windows are just amazing. Not touristy at all, pilgrim discount and you also don't have to walk through that almost abandoned urbanizacion with golf course just before Ciruena.
They don't cater for pilgrims or offer place to sleep though.
I did the same detour in 2013. The monastery is one of the most impressive and they had evening vespers. There was a small hotel opposite with rooms and meals. The owner offered to pit my clothes through the washing machine. Bliss!
Happymark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Definitely use the links mspath provided! Not all monastery stays are equal. The albergue at Samos is built into the exterior walls, but faces the street and doesn't actually connect to the monastery proper. I ended up taking a bed above the bar across the street.

All are welcome to tour the monastery in the afternoon, which I highly recommend. It's stunningly beautiful, inside and out.
The second floor includes the Reliquary room, very impressive; most of the rest on that floor was destroyed by fire and restored by the monks themselves, very much Naive Art and while the effort very moving the frescoes a bit less. He in the uniform is NOT Franco.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The pilgrim albergue at the monastery of the Benedictinas in Sahagun is now overseen by Marist Fathers, and they´ve made it a much more spiritual experience with communal meal, an informal chat, and pilgrim Mass with blessings in the spectacular convent chapel. http://www.alberguesensahagun.es/lo-que-ofrecemos

A wonderful experience, worth making a point of staying there. It's like being welcomed into their community, to share good conversation, prayer, and a meal of simple, but abundant, food. A very special place.

No accommodation or mass but the nuns close to Castrojerez and their daily offices
http://www.castrojeriz.com/es/lugares-para-visitar/convento-de-santa-clara

You can likewise attend the daily offices and Masses in monasteries and convents in towns all down the caminos if you so desire. Not all of them are into public outreach, but they all have chapels where you can attend the services, sometimes out of sight of the sisters. (the Poor Clares in Villafranca de Bierzo are especially memorable, and the Carmelites in Carrion de los Condes... and the Trappists at Sobraado de los Monjes!)

I’m interested in which Monestaries welcome Pilgrams for meals , sleep and mass. I would love to hear of personal experiences with these intriguing historic places. Which monestaries are must see, which are maintained to accommodate, hours, restrictions etc... I would appreciate any current information about your favorite historic sites along the the Camino Francis as I plan my pilgrimage next month.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good Morning Shelly,
What date are you starting and from where. I'm flying into Paris to start from Lourdes on Sept. 29th. I,too, want to include as many monasteries and convents as possible.

Strongly recommend to stay with the singing nuns in Carrion. One of the most memorable experiences I've had on Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Carbajalas),
My husband and I stayed here, it was fabulous. Met by a lovely nun handing out plums and water while we waited to book in. Those on the registration desk asked us if we were married and when we answered yes, they exclaimed "ah, matrimonials". They then said we could stay in the matrimonial room, which we thought would be lovely and private after a number of communal albergues, until they showed us to an area with 6 sets of bunks set aside for married couples!! Slightly disappointed. The evening meal was lovely, we could actually choose from a simple menu, and then we went to Evensong. This was one of the highlights of our Camino. It was like listening to a choir of angels, and we were encouraged to sing along if we wished. Wonderful experience.

Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Carbajalas),
My husband and I stayed here, it was fabulous. Met by a lovely nun handing out plums and water while we waited to book in. Those on the registration desk asked us if we were married and when we answered yes, they exclaimed "ah, matrimonials". They then said we could stay in the matrimonial room, which we thought would be lovely and private after a number of communal albergues, until they showed us to an area with 6 sets of bunks set aside for married couples!! Slightly disappointed. The evening meal was lovely, we could actually choose from a simple menu, and then we went to Evensong. This was one of the highlights of our Camino. It was like listening to a choir of angels, and we were encouraged to sing along if we wished. Wonderful experience.

Under the new regime, you likely would not have met a nun, but you would have your own double room!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you @mspath for sharing your list of monasteries with us. I sincerely value all the time you spent to research and make this list.

Oh that is very sad re the nuns. Such welcoming hospitable people. Are they not allowed to be involved.....?

The people you deal with there are priests, and the volunteers who work with them. The sisters are still there, but they choose not to run the pilgrim part of things any more. You can see them and greet them at the worship services, or at the museum, or the cookie sales window. They are as involved as they choose to be, nobody decides if they are "allowed" or not!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I enjoyed reading this thread and I'm trying to collect a list of Monasteries or Albergues that will
I’m interested in which Monestaries welcome Pilgrams for meals , sleep and mass. I would love to hear of personal experiences with these intriguing historic places. Which monestaries are must see, which are maintained to accommodate, hours, restrictions etc... I would appreciate any current information about your favorite historic sites along the the Camino Francés as I plan my pilgrimage next month.
Hi Shelley! I hope you had a great spiritual experience. I'm getting ready for June of this year and would like to stay in as many monasteries and albergues that enhance the spiritual part of the pilgrimage. If you don't mind sharing the places you went to and how it went, I'll appreciate it. Thank you kindly and buen camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back