• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tell me about your experiences on the Camino del Norte and help me with my dissertation!

sophie_d

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2017)
Dear the generous and charitable people of the Camino del Norte forum…

Having had a terrific response from the lovely people over in the Le Puy forum, I wonder if I might now prevail upon you to give me a little help!

I have just got back from an incredible experience on the Camino del Norte, which was background research for my dissertation in World Heritage Studies (MA) at the University of Birmingham; a dissertation, which, in itself, was an excuse to go and walk the Camino del Norte! ;)

From this firsthand journey, I have developed a questionnaire to zoom in on some particular points of the Camino experience, looking at a range of routes. If you have walked the Camino del Norte, I would be particularly interested to hear from you, so I can compare with experiences on the Le Puy route! Would any of you fine people possibly be able to take a moment to complete it for me?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2XJKR2H

The questionnaire is made up predominantly of straightforward multiple choice questions with 12 background/demographic questions and 25 questions on your Camino experience. All responses are anonymous (further details at the top of the survey).

There is space for you to expand on your answers should you wish, and while I would be very grateful for any extra insight, this is by no means compulsory. It can therefore be completed either very quickly (10 minutes) or you can take more time over it.

The questionnaire is constructed in such a way as to look at the Camino routes one at a time - so, if you have walked different routes and you are really bored, you can fill it out multiple times, I won’t stop you! ;)

I would appreciate it very greatly if any of you could take the time to help me. Many thanks, everyone!

Sophie

P.S. Once I have done the analysis I will post an update for you all giving a breakdown of my findings. I will also give you access to my dissertation if you would like - though it may be a pretty dry read of 15,000 words of heritage academia! o_O

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
... I will also give you access to my dissertation if you would like - though it may be a pretty dry read of 15,000 words of heritage academia! o_O

Yes, please do so, some of us, me included, find such papers fascinating ;-) BC SY

What a dream assignment! I walked the via de la plata and plan camino del norte as my next one. I'd be very interested to read your thesis. All the best for writing it

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Sophie - ask Johnie Walker on FB if he can - you can post your request there too, it may get more replies. Good luck with your MA!

I hope you had a great experience!

I'm walking the Camino del Norte starting tomorrow so I'll be happy to fill this in in a month's time if that isn't too late.

Best of luck with you dissertation

Hi everyone :)

Thanks for the kind words and advice! I've been really touched by the willingness of people here to help me with this - it's like a little Camino spirit continuation :D

Roops - that would be getting a little close to hand-in date, I'm afraid, but good luck and buen camino! I'm sure you will have an incredible time!

So thanks again, everyone!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you everyone for your responses! I am very grateful to you all! The survey is now closed and I am in the process of going through the results. I will post a summary of them once I am done - probably around the end of September :)

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back