• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tell me your “everything is going haywire on my Camino” stories

• Thread starter Former member 59618
  • Start date
F

Former member 59618

Just like the title says! I’m sick again in Burgos, more like run down, needing a lot of rest. I know things are unfolding as they should, but my ego is taking a bit of a bruising. I had a whole plan for my Camino and of course god/life laughed at me. I also suspect I’m feeling terrible again because I didn’t finish my round of antibiotics (I know, I know, I’ve restarted them).

So please, as I’m stuck in a hotel, needing some encouragement and reading material, share with me your “it’s all falling apart” Camino stories.

And because I don’t want to be a total pessimist, please share how going wrong ended up being “perfect timing//going right” (if that applies to you).

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I started walking from home in Wales to Santiago in autumn 2014. Ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo then river and canal towpaths to Rennes and beyond. Mostly wild camping. One night near Redon a big storm smashed my tent poles :-( So I decided to take the hint and went home for the winter.

Came back the next spring and started again from Redon. Down the Atlantic coast to Bayonne then towpath and back roads almost to SJPDP. 20km short on my final stage I fell and had a prolapsed spinal disc. I managed to get a taxi to take me to SJPDP. I'd hoped to stay at L'Esprit du Chemin but on arrival I found it had been sold and renamed 'Beilari'. The old and new owners were working together as a handover. Although they were full they both moved people around the building to free up a ground floor bed for me, called a local doctor to visit, fetched the medicines I needed and looked after me very kindly for a few days until I was able to walk very carefully with a stick. I was in no fit state for a Camino though. Instead I took a train to Lourdes - a place I had vaguely thought of visiting. I was far more impressed than I had expected to be. Very glad to have seen it though perhaps circumstances could have been better! Then I flew home to the UK. Later that year I used a few spare days on an Interrail pass to return to France and walk that final 20km and the next year I walked from SJPDP to Santiago. A lot longer than I'd expected when I set off but I did get there in the end! :)

truenorthpilgrim,

So sorry to read of your troubles. Do rest and take care of yourself.

Here is a memory from November 2004 that shows not all accidents end badly; at Hospital de Orbigo after falling flat on my face I met my first unforgetable camino angels

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here is a memory from November 2004 that shows not all accidents end badly; at Hospital de Orbigo after falling flat on my face I met my first unforgetable camino angels
My mother-in-law Barbara walked the Camino Frances in 1985 - well before mobile phones and the internet. While Barbara was walking in Spain my wife picked up the phone at home in London. Her mother calling from Spain with a message for her husband: "Tell Taffy the stitches were taken out today". As Taffy hadn't received the earlier message about Barbara's fall and her visit to a local hospital this wasn't quite the reassuring news it was meant to be! Took quite some time to get the whole story straight. :)

Just like the title says! I’m sick again in Burgos, more like run down, needing a lot of rest. I know things are unfolding as they should, but my ego is taking a bit of a bruising. I had a whole plan for my Camino and of course god/life laughed at me. I also suspect I’m feeling terrible again because I didn’t finish my round of antibiotics (I know, I know, I’ve restarted them).

So please, as I’m stuck in a hotel, needing some encouragement and reading material, share with me your “it’s all falling apart” Camino stories.

And because I don’t want to be a total pessimist, please share how going wrong ended up being “perfect timing”/going right (if that applies to you).
Mine happened yesterday. As I was walking out of Porto I suddenly felt ill and vomited (didn’t even take off my backpack). I was about 4km into my walk. Then as I continued it got worse and worse. Like I was laying on the ground on the sidewalk, locals staring at me. Finally I made it to a town (total 8 km) with one hotel which was fully booked. I then collapsed in the lobby so the front desk guy called and ambulance. Ended up in the hospital with some medication to stop vomiting and got an IV drip. I was there six hours. I’m ok now but could only walk 8km today. Hope you feel better!! Burgos isn’t a bad place to be sick

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mine happened yesterday. As I was walking out of Porto I suddenly felt ill and vomited (didn’t even take off my backpack). I was about 4km into my walk. Then as I continued it got worse and worse. Like I was laying on the ground on the sidewalk, locals staring at me. Finally I made it to a town (total 8 km) with one hotel which was fully booked. I then collapsed in the lobby so the front desk guy called and ambulance. Ended up in the hospital with some medication to stop vomiting and got an IV drip. I was there six hours. I’m ok now but could only walk 8km today. Hope you feel better!! Burgos isn’t a bad place to be sick

Oh my goodness I’m so glad you’re ok! Do you think it was food poisoning? It’s so miserable to be sick and crawling to the next destination. Please take it easy. And yes, Burgos is a nice place to recover.

And because I don’t want to be a total pessimist, please share how going wrong ended up being “perfect timing”/going right (if that applies to you).
Sorry you're not well. I really hope you're better soon.

We are travelling in a motorhome. I walk and my husband brings the van forward each day. He then walks a couple of miles to meet me at the end of my day. We'll, that worked for a few days until the dog started acting weird. Then her head swelled. We were in Zubiri. No vets. We rushed her to an emergency vet in Pamplona to discover she had been bitten by a viper. Cue 48 hours at the vets followed by a slow recovery.

Husband took me back to Zubiri where is walked, tearfully to Pamplona. I cried all the way. Totally hated it and didn't have the energy to watch the semana Santa processions.

Just for info, the dog is recovering well and I've got my walking mojo back. Just done 16 miles to Navarette.

@truenorthpilgrim , sorry you're sick, hopefully it's brief!

I have a "everything falling apart" hospitalero story: we were cooking dinner for 16 pilgrims, and just as we started boiling water for pasta, the propane ran out (fortunately everyone had finished their hot showers). It was a Saturday night; we called the propane company but were only able to leave a message until Monday. Next, Plan B, I tried the municipal albergue across town to see if we could use their kitchen to boil the water. The desk clerk said OK, but the supervisor said no, they were too full and needed to save kitchen space for their guests. Plan C: a local Irish fellow was out of town and had left his keys with a friend "in case a pilgrim needs someplace to stay". We used his kitchen to boil the water. But even that was comical: the wiring was so old that we could only turn on one burner at a time or we would blow the circuits. By the time we boiled the pasta, the other pilgrims had finished up the salad and welcomed the pasta after we carried it across the town square.

Hope this gives you some chuckles!

Oh my goodness I’m so glad you’re ok! Do you think it was food poisoning? It’s so miserable to be sick and crawling to the next destination. Please take it easy. And yes, Burgos is a nice place to recover.
Yea it was definitely food poisoning. It was either eggs I ate that morning at my hostel (I emailed them but they haven’t replied) or a dodgy avocado toast (that was premade) I had the day before.

We are travelling in a motorhome. I walk and my husband brings the van forward each day. He then walks a couple of miles to meet me at the end of my day. We'll, that worked for a few days until the dog started acting weird. Then her head swelled. We were in Zubiri. No vets. We rushed her to an emergency vet in Pamplona to discover she had been bitten by a viper. Cue 48 hours at the vets followed by a slow recovery.

Husband took me back to Zubiri where is walked, tearfully to Pamplona. I cried all the way. Totally hated it and didn't have the energy to watch the seminar Santa processions.

Just for info, the dog is recovering well and I've got my walking mojo back. Just done 16 miles to Navarette.
So glad to hear doggie is on the mend

I’m sidelined with knee damage suffered on the downhill from Alto del Perdón. I made it to Uterga where Noelia took care of me for two nights (!) at Albergue Camino del Perdón. My pride pushed me to walk to Puente la Reina where I am again bed-ridden with a swollen knee and leg.
The upside? Natalie at Albergue Estrella Guía has provided me “emergency” shelter in a healing environment for as long as it takes. Looks like I will be mobile (sans backpack) by Friday.

Glad I didn't take the train but the road wasn't much better. Sometimes you're just out of alternatives.

Heading south from VF from Italy through Greece.

Attachments

• P1000279.JPG
    P1000279.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 28
  • P1000280.JPG
    P1000280.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 29
My pride pushed me to walk to Puente la Reina where I am again bed-ridden with a swollen knee and leg

Ugh darn that pride; it may have gotten the better of me, too.

I stayed at Albergue Estrella Eguía and it’s quite nice. And how wonderful it is that you’re being taken such good care of.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear @truenorthpilgrim, I hope this story inspires you! We spent some time healing in Burgos last summer too.

We started out walking the Vasco del Interior from Irun to Santo Domingo de la Calzada. It was a difficult route with lots of ups and downs. My husband's knee was bothering him and he actually stopped and bought a brace in Haro. We turned onto the Frances at Santo Domingo and breathed a sign of relief -- we knew this section of the route and anticipated it would be less rigorous. We were also ready to meet other pilgrims after our quiet walk on the Vasco. As we walked up the long gentle hill to Granon, Tom turned to talk to a couple of other pilgrims and ... BAM!... he twisted his knee badly. Aaargh. We hoped it would feel better after we stopped in Granon, but after supper his knee was still aching badly. So we decided to take the bus into Burgos, go to the emergency room and take a rest.

Despite the fact that the doc at the emergency room said, very firmly, "No Santiago!" we decided to see how it went walking short days and sending Tom's pack using a mochilla service. Three day's rest, and the good anti-inflammatory medication we got helped a lot and we started out walking 10-15 km days. Things went well and we relaxed -- we were on our way again.

We were doing well by Leon and back on our plan when Tom developed a runny nose. It seemed like it was probably allergies. We stayed at Oncina -- just past Leon. The next morning Tom's nose was really running and he had developed a cough. He felt fine otherwise so we felt certain the culprit was allergies -- it was spring and we had been walking through farm county. We happened to bring a couple of COVID tests with us from the US and Tom decided to test that morning -- better safe than sorry. And... BAM!... positive COVID test.

We decided to keep walking since he felt fine other than the runny nose and cough. We thought we would just mask around others, stay far away from other pilgrims, eat on our own and stay in private rooms. That plan quickly proved unworkable. It is truly hard to stay away from other pilgrims! We stayed in a private room at Hospital, walked to Astorga and decided we had to take some more time isolating at a hotel in Astorga until Tom got five days past his initial infection without symptoms.

You know what happened next -- on Tom's fourth day, I tested positive. We were planning to turn off the Frances onto the Invierno at Ponferrada. So we decided to take the train to Las Medulas and rest there until a few days had passed. We thought the invierno would be much more quiet and that we would be able to stay away from others (we were right). By now, Tom was testing negative and I was basically symptomless. So we masked around others, ate on our own and stayed in private rooms. Two days after Las Medulas I tested negative and we just kept going. The fatigue (probably left over from COVID) did catch up with us near Monforte de Lemos and we decided to train past a stage and take another rest day.

After that we were fine. We walked into Santiago with no further issues. I should add that I walked the entire route with a total ankle replacement and my husband has two cervical disc replacements in his neck.

You can do this! Hang in there and keep walking once you feel better!

Rooting for you! Ultreia! LizB

We stayed at Oncina -- just past Leon.
Thanks LizB! I’m wondering if you stayed at Albergue El Pajar de Oncina? I stayed there a few years back and completely fell in love with the place.

Also wow, what a journey you two had! At some point you just have to surrender-hopefully I’m getting to that point.

[...] And because I don’t want to be a total pessimist, please share how going wrong ended up being “perfect timing//going right” (if that applies to you).
Well, my story is not that dramatic. But I caught a bad feverish coughing bug probably from someone very sick in the bed next to min in the large albergue in Pamplona. Some days later I developed a bad cough ... and then ... fever!
A friendly landlady in a private accommodation then gave my some local honey to help recover.
This whole thing slowed me down considerably, but I recovered and in the end was able to make up for the loss in mileage in those sick days :cool:

The other story was me ending up in the emergency room one day before my planned Camino Primitivo last September. So I had to cancel that journey, meanwhile underwent surgery and I will give it a new try next month ...

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

And because I don’t want to be a total pessimist, please share how going wrong ended up being “perfect timing//going right” (if that applies to you).
Two minor things
In 2016, for some unexplained reason in the morning, on a rest day in Burgos, I suddenly felt really sick, hot and sweaty and had to run to a rubbish bin and throw up. In public. I was rather mortified, and trying not to catch the eye of people watching - So undignified.
Went back to my room for a while, and then felt fine.

In 2019 we had a few days in Fisterra after our Camino, in a place right in town. My husband is coeliac so I was cooking gluten free pasta, when the power went out to the whole building. Sudden darkness - followed by some animated cursing from the floor below in Italian I think. 30 minutes passed and the lights came back on, and then 1 minute later just as the water heated up again, the power went off again. More yelling from other rooms, another wait, and then the lights went out again.
After the third time our pasta was essentially just mush, gluten free pasta doesnt hold together as well as normal pasta. So we walked out in the dark and bought pizza.
When we got back the power was just coming back on again.

Last edited:

My story is on my blog.

The 2020 date likely gives it away!!!

I hope you recover quickly x

My story is on my blog.

The 2020 date likely gives it away!!!

I hope you recover quickly x
Wow, what an experience! And what a journey. Really moved by this piece of writing, remembering those times.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks LizB! I’m wondering if you stayed at Albergue El Pajar de Oncina? I stayed there a few years back and completely fell in love with the place.

Also wow, what a journey you two had! At some point you just have to surrender-hopefully I’m getting to that point.
Surrender is a good characterization! Good luck.

We did stay there. It was great and we worried a lot when Tom tested positive the next morning. The dorm is small and we were close together and ate the common meal. One good thing is that we walked by a bar where a number of the people we stayed with there were eating breakfast and were able to warn them. I also WhatsApped the owners at El Pajar to let them know. They did not get COVID during the next couple weeks so that was reassuring.....

Wow, what an experience! And what a journey. Really moved by this piece of writing, remembering those times.
I second your post @mary_mh - I too have been moved by Curly Cath’s account of the difficulties in having to leave Spain.

Curly Cath - I hope you’ve been able to return and complete your camino and that it was a joyous time.

Cheers from Oz -

Jenny

Thanks! I got covid on return and long covid, and still have longer term health impacts from that time like asthma. I returned last year and walked again. I really wanted the experience of walking out of the desert, so I restarted in Burgos and walked to Sarria

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks! I got covid on return and long covid, and still have longer term health impacts from that time like asthma. I returned last year and walked again. I really wanted the experience of walking out of the desert, so I restarted in Burgos and walked to Sarria
I was riveted reading that blog post and your subsequent posts. What a ride. Glad you returned to walk again.

I am lying in a pool of blood, my blood, on the side of the road in France en route from Rome to Santiago. Lucky for me, it is the day of presidential elections, so there are people and cars on the road. Ordinarily there would be few.

A woman, on her way home from voting, sees me fall and approaches. She waves down a passing car, one of her neighbours who, again fortunately, is a hypochondriac. The boot of his car is full of medical supplies. He staunches the blood flow from my nose and forehead and calls an ambulance. Within 20 minutes the ambulance arrives from Nice and whisks me away to a hospital where an angel sews me up with 11 stitches.

I am lying in hospital all sewn up and not knowing what will happen next, when an English speaking nurse tells me that they have received a phone call from a woman who is looking for me and wants to take me to her home. It was the woman who had first came to my aid. Was it OK to tell her I was here? My bloody oath it was!!

She arrived with her son, took me home, introduced me to her husband and dog. Her husband quickly poured me pastis and later vin rose with ice. I was fed, watered, my clothes washed and given a bed for the night. Next day they drove me back to the camino.

My injuries, although bloody were not serious. Fortunately my nose was not broken. I had the stitches removed in a hospital in Arles (where I stayed with the author of the Lightfoot guides). I was told that the nurse who had stitched me up was an Artiste. I quite agree.

This was one of the best experiences of my life. Most certainly a Mushkil Gusha incident.

What appears to be bad can sometimes be extraordinarily good.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am lying in a pool of blood, my blood, on the side of the road in France en route from Rome to Santiago. Lucky for me, it is the day of presidential elections, so there are people and cars on the road. Ordinarily there would be few.

A woman, on her way home from voting, sees me fall and approaches. She waves down a passing car, one of her neighbours who, again fortunately, is a hypochondriac. The boot of his car is full of medical supplies. He staunches the blood flow from my nose and forehead and calls an ambulance. Within 20 minutes the ambulance arrives from Nice and whisks me away to a hospital where an angel sews me up with 11 stitches.

I am lying in hospital all sewn up and not knowing what will happen next, when an English speaking nurse tells me that they have received a phone call from a woman who is looking for me and wants to take me to her home. It was the woman who had first came to my aid. Was it OK to tell her I was here? My bloody oath it was!!

She arrived with her son, took me home, introduced me to her husband and dog. Her husband quickly poured me pastis and later vin rose with ice. I was fed, watered, my clothes washed and given a bed for the night. Next day they drove me back to the camino.

My injuries, although bloody were not serious. Fortunately my nose was not broken. I had the stitches removed in a hospital in Arles (where I stayed with the author of the Lightfoot guides). I was told that the nurse who had stitched me up was an Artiste. I quite agree.

This was one of the best experiences of my life. Most certainly a Mushkil Gusha incident.

What appears to be bad can sometimes be extraordinarily good.
Absolutely love this!

Does wandering hospitalero count as a "camino story"?
Before opening the albergue, we made an outing to a place north of the camino francés (driving). I had the day off and decided to trek back in a more or less straight line instead of following the roads. (Had GPS on phone, maps on an iPad, a compass, & a small mochila to carry them in.) Came to a very steep hill, and carefully began threading my way down. Halfway down, "steep hill" turned into "impossible cliff." Called my colleagues as they were starting dinner and told them why I would be missing it. Had to go back up and take a longer route. Going back up was less fun than coming down—going down, my feet pushed vegetation out of the way, but going up, had to use face and arms, and the stuff had thorns. Sarah drove out after dinner to pick me up. Have a photo captioned "Damsel Charming rescues prince in distress."

On another off-camino jaunt on a bike, a bee sting caused enough distraction that I nearly ran into a parked car, but fell over trying to swerve. Didn't need stitches, but there was plenty of blood. Folks in a nearby house bandaged up my abrasions. Had a nice chat with them, before continuing on..

Last edited:
Last June ~ off-road as of Sarria with tibial tendonitis and still testing very light pink for Covid ~ bussed and taxied and met up with family and friends each evening ~ had a wonderful PT treatment in Arzua ~ it's all part of the Camino ~ I return this June to do Triacastela~Samos~Santiago ~

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Husband took me back to Zubiri where is walked, tearfully to Pamplona. I cried all the way. Totally hated it and didn't have the energy to watch the semana Santa processions.

While I do get upset when people have difficulties, I admit to getting more upset when it's an animal, particularly dogs. So sorry to hear of this scary situation and am happy things are improved.
Sometimes the time (to walk) just isn't right.

And all

"...And all manner of things shall be well."
The Lady Julian of Norwich

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back