• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

temperature - fleece

yossiron

I am taking the french camino between august 24 and sept 24. would a very light fleece jacket be sufficient (500 gr) or should I take a double fleece, which is 1050 gr ?
thanks for your advise
yossi

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
there is no definitive answer to this question.
It depends on the biggest variable of them all, namely the weather.
I would say that last year I took a standard type fleece, and at times I got quite cold in particular when it was being washed in the evening. The cold had a lot to do with the walking and tierdness though as opposed to the actual temperature.

I suppose it all depends on whether you are willing to carry the extra weight when it is not being worn.

I am going again on sept 4th and I will be taking a standard type fleece again. If I get cold I intend to wear my jacket over the fleece, jacket being a gortex shell lightweight.
Hoep this helps.

Peter

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I didn't take a fleece on our May/June walk in wet, cold France. I took a brush cotton shirt (worn over a thin coolmax t-shirt - 100 grams). This kept me warm on chilly or windy days and kept me dry on days of light rain or drizzle weighed 200 grams and took up hardly any space in my pack.

For really wet days I also had a very lightweight (100 grams) water repellent, windproof jacket wihich I wore over the shirt + t-shirt AND a poncho too.

For really cold weather and for evenings I had a very thin low-necked jumper (200 grams - bought very cheaply in Primark) - I had planned to wear it by itself on hot evenings but we never had any so I wore it over another thin coolmax t-shirt. I found the main thing that kept me warm in the really cold, bad wet weather were my waterproof trousers.

I use a fleece with a coolmax t-shirt for the pyrenees. It stops the drops of moisture penetrating the surface and isn't as sweaty as a waterproof.

Further on, I think it's probably necessary (in my opinion) in very few places, but handy to have if the nights get a bit cooler as they tend to in places like Foncebadon (being quite high up n' all!)

Some would argue against taking one, although I think for the weight penalty (not much) and bulk (I've got enough space in my 33 litre pack for it with ease) it's worth taking anyway.

Mine is a base/mid-layer model: http://www.ellis-brigham.com/thenorthfa ... |user||47|

At the last minute I put in a light fleece for my June camino and was very glad that I did. I only wore it a few times while walking but it was great in the early mornings and evenings. For September I would take one for sure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.