• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Temperatures in July and August

Dawdle

I've read about the heat in the summer months. I'm wondering what the actual average temperatures are during the hot months. Are we talking 90's (Fahrenheit ) or triple digits? Thanks so much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've read about the heat in the summer months. I'm wondering what the actual average temperatures are during the hot months. Are we talking 90's (Fahrenheit ) or triple digits? Thanks so much.

That would depend on which Camino....I assume you mean the Camino Francis as it is posted in that forum. Brilliant deduction on my part.o_O

As always, the weather can produce anything and usually does each year. Normally you can expect the highs to be in the 90s and even some cold mornings. Remember that you are walking almost 500 miles across varied terrain.
You will be in mountains (little ones..more like hills) valleys, and agricultural areas. Galacia seems to be one of the wettest places on earth sometimes.

I walked the Via de la Plata in August of this year despite being warned that I was very foolish.
There were 8 straight days of 44-45 (110-115f) and the temperature on the asphalt as indicated on the cyclist computers was 54c (almost 130f). The rest of the time it ranged about 95 to 100 every day. Nights and mornings did not get below 90. It changed about Salamanca where it became much more tolerable.
Lots of asphalt walking during this time. Not a pleasant stroll along the Camino. More like cooking from the top and bottom at the same time. My water was usually too hot to drink.
It was quiet however as there were no other foolish pilgrims around. Albergues all to myself every night.

There are a number of climate sites. You might find the information you are looking for at www.climatemps.com, although of the Spanish cities it lists, only Burgos is on the CF. There are places close enough to give you a better idea. Don't forget that the averages can hide a great deal of variability.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As others have said, the actual temperatures can be vary and the average temperatures are just that - averages. Said all this here is what you can find weather-wise on the Camino Francés in July / August:
Some coolish evenings in the mountains / hills where you be glad you brought a light jumper / jacket.
Very hot days (yes, high 90s up to 100+ during the middle of the day) which are made worse by the lack of shade (meseta!).
Rain is almost a certainty in Galicia but rain, including violent thunderstorms can, occasionally, also happen elsewhere on the way.
Hope that helps and Buen Camino! SY

I walked the Frances in July and August this year and as far as temperatures go, it was mostly perfect. Gloriously long warm sunny days and beautiful evenings lounging outside till 10. A perfect time of the year as far as the weather goes. Do take wet weather wear and something warm though as during 2days it was cold and wet on Cebreiro through Samos till past Sarria when the weather recovered.
On the other hand nights were too warm sometimes, and sleep was a bit hard till it cooled. I dont understand why they dont have a fan as that makes all the difference. Just watch out for albergues without air and windows such as one in Ventosa and another in Pamplona. But on the whole, a summer camino is wonderful.

Thanks so much. That helps a lot. It's really hot where I live 110-115F is not unusual. I do try to get away from the heat when I go away. I'm not sure when I will be able to walk, just beginning to gather info. The forum is great, you are all so helpful. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you want to take an umbrella with UV protection, you might find that it makes quite a difference when walking in the heat. It did for me. :)

Of course, if you need to use walking poles, you will run into a problem with the umbrella:cool:

Last edited:
An umbrella...that's a new idea. You didn't find it cumbersome? Sounds like a possibility. I don't use walking poles now. I'm guessing it must have been an ultralight one. Also, no one ever talks about high humidity with the heat so it must be mostly a "dry" heat?

An umbrella...that's a new idea. You didn't find it cumbersome? Sounds like a possibility. I don't use walking poles now. I'm guessing it must have been an ultralight one. Also, no one ever talks about high humidity with the heat so it must be mostly a "dry" heat?

Cumbersome? Yes, a bit, but I ditched my sleeping bag early on, so that gave me a bit more room in my pack. And no, my umbrella was not light-weight … at all. I had determined that I was going to take a UV umbrella with me, so I just dealt with the weight. (I’ve just weighed it now for the first time and it is 14 oz.:eek: I guess that’s why I did not weigh it before I went on my Camino – I probably did not want to know the weight.)

As to the humidity in July / August, I don’t know. It was a dry heat, and unseasonably hot, in the first half of April this year when I needed my umbrella. After that the weather cooled to great hiking conditions so I didn’t need it as a sun screen. But it certainly came in handy towards the end of May when I was kicking around Santiago in the rain.

You will be able to get more info on umbrellas on the Camino from this site: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/re-umbrellas.2286/. As I recall, some people are proponents of umbrellas, others are not.

Buen Camino.:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, it is mostly a dry heat. Umbrellas tend to have a problem when it is windy ;-) so, you will still need a good hat with a chin strap. Buen Camino! SY
PS Don't forget the sun protection (cream / block)!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I do like the idea of an umbrella. Sometimes it's handy on a day walk if not too windy, can be a stabiliser on slippery slopes and of course shade. I favour a lightweight black city gent type rather than a huge golf umbrella, which with a favourable wind and sturdy construction is more like a spinnaker than a shelter. Having had the opportunity to buy many umbrellas over the years due to an uncanny propensity to leave them on trains, I can say that there's no need to spend more than £10. At present Timpsons shoe repair shops sell a good one. As my pack has enough straps on it to allow one to carry more stuff on the outside than inside, it'll be be secured there. Inspiration came from Nicholas Crane 'Clear Waters Rising' (mountain hiking accross Europe). He's the guy with the umbrella on his pack in BBC TV 'Coast' programme.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back