Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Temperatures in May

JelteV

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi, I'm planning to do my first Camino and it will be the northern route and changing to the Primitivo around Oviedo. I think I arrive at the Primitivo mid-late May. I'm now starting to organize my stuff, and I'm wondering which temperatures I need to prepare for. For the Norte temperatures don't seem to be so serious, but I'm wondering how cold it can get at the Primitivo. I'm definitely taking a light water-/windproof jacket, will it be sufficient to bring a fleece and a longsleeve, or do I need to prepare for colder temperatures? Also, is a 10 degrees C sleeping bag sufficient, or can the nights get chilly? Any help is greatly appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Jelte, we walked the Primitivo in May 2019. We enjoyed various combinations of rain, sun and wind. Hospitales day was very windy up to the summit, but not cold -- and then calm and very warm on the other side. You already know the generic advice -- dress in layers, be prepared for a wide range (especially in spring season). We were more surprised by the wind than anything else. Wiser heads can advise on the sleeping bag -- if you're staying in albergues, they seem to be very good on this route. The Primitivo is a great route, the rewards repay the effort many times over. Buen Camino!

Hi, I'm planning to do my first Camino and it will be the northern route and changing to the Primitivo around Oviedo. I think I arrive at the Primitivo mid-late May. I'm now starting to organize my stuff, and I'm wondering which temperatures I need to prepare for. For the Norte temperatures don't seem to be so serious, but I'm wondering how cold it can get at the Primitivo. I'm definitely taking a light water-/windproof jacket, will it be sufficient to bring a fleece and a longsleeve, or do I need to prepare for colder temperatures? Also, is a 10 degrees C sleeping bag sufficient, or can the nights get chilly? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hello Jelte I walked in mid May 2017 had beutiful sunny days nearly every day, went back the next year and had rain every day for the first two weeks. Hard to predict the weather, normally it’s great weather for hiking. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jelty, I walked the Primitivo in May 2019. A real combination of sun, rain, hail, and high winds... Having said that, we were walking through Storm Miguel!
I took a fleece jacket and waterproof along with a couple of hoodies.I was grateful for them all. If I were doing it again, I'd take a couple of merino baselayers but probably wouldn't bother with much more. I took only a silk sleeping bag liner and was perfectly fine at night.

PS Deportes Villar (sports shop) in Salas is a good place to buy extra walking stuff if you need to stock up.

Hi all, thanks for all your advice! This helps me a lot. It actually sounds beautiful to have such a wide range of weather conditions. But it's good to know that some warm layers are worth it to take with me. And good to know that it's possible to get something warm in Salas if needed!
Mazzarina, the sleeping bag liner is interesting: I was actually thinking about taking one instead of a sleeping bag, but was worried it might be too cold. I have a 'Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme' which claims to increase sleeping bag temperature with 15 degrees C, is that comparable to the one you used? If that one was warm enough, I'll definitely consider taking only the liner to save weight.
Thanks again! Jelte

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, you're right JelteV, it is beautiful!
I ordered a length of (water-damaged) silk from eBay and sewed it into a bag -- nothing fancy! I also took a linen sarong which I used as towel, skirt, bunkbed curtain, and once or twice as a cover over my sleeping bag liner.
A few albergues provide a blanket, though that may have changed with Covid rules.
All the best with your planning, and buen camino!

Thanks again for the info! Some good ideas for my preparation ;). I'll try out some different options and see how the weight difference feels.
Best wishes

I walked in June 2018 and May 2019. I have never been so cold as I was on the Hospitales route in 2019. My friend picked up a pair of gloves someone dropped so she was OK but my fingers were completely numb from the cold. I checked on my photos and I am wearing a fleece in every one. The plus was there was little mud whereas in 2018 the mud was dreadful.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.