• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Temperatures in the Fall

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
I'm planning on walking the Camino Portugues in the fall, probably from early September, starting in Lisbon. Can anyone give me an idea of what the temperature/weather may be like? Also, is there a big temp difference between starting in Lisbon and ending in SdC? I'm thinking of what to pack/wear. thanks in advance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In early September it is still likely to be quite hot. In 2018, I started from Porto (farther north) on October 1 and during the first week we were still getting temperatures in the 30s, although it cooled down a bit as we approached Santiago in the second week of October.

Remember that Fall doesn't start officially until September 21 and practically a while after that.

When I walked and started in mid September. It was hot on alot of days but never too brutal. I got to Santiago in Mid October and it was never cold. A couple of crisp mornings. Once you start walking and you warm up it is really great walking weather. I was lucky weather wise. One evening a friend and I were siting in a park and there were about 30 drops of rain. That was it the whole camino. Overall we were pretty lucky with the weather but you know it is weather and you never know.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm planning on walking the Camino Portugues in the fall, probably from early September, starting in Lisbon. Can anyone give me an idea of what the temperature/weather may be like? Also, is there a big temp difference between starting in Lisbon and ending in SdC? I'm thinking of what to pack/wear. thanks in advance.

warm to very warm

Last Year (2019) it was 30 deg C in mid September. My consumption of fresh orange juice and beer was non trivial.

My brother and I walked from Tui to Santiago between 23-28 Sept last year. I was able to walk in shorts and a tea-shirt every day. In the morning and evenings it was a bit cool (high 40s - low 50s F). A light jacket/windbreaker that we could take off was all that we needed to be comfortable against the chill when walking. It did get warm, but not very hot, in the afternoons (80s F). Most days we broke a sweat, but that was from walking, not the weather. One morning we had a cold rain. Wore the light jacket under our ponchos till the day warmed up and that worked out great. Hope you have a great Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for asking @FooteK , I've got the same question plus adding one: Does anyone know whether there is a big difference in temperature walking the coastal or central / interior? For instance, if it is hotter on the interior would it make sense to switch to the coastal route?

At temperatures above 25 to 28 °C I don't really feel very comfortable.

The southern part of the central can be very hot in September. We've spent parts of the last 3 years in Barquinha, right where the Tejo (Tagus) turns east to head into Spain. That region, and Santarem district just south of it but north of Lisbon, can feel very much a "heat trap". The first fall, 2017, I was there from mid-August to mid-September, and it was never less than 30 degrees and, for a week or so in the beginning, 40 at mid-day. I'm from the Pacific Northwest and that was pretty brutal for me. I wondered what I'd gotten myself into.

In 2018, if I remember correctly, it was 30-ish in early September before we arrived. Then we turned up. In mid-September, just after we arrived, we had another 40-ish heatwave that lasted 4 or 5 days, I think.

Last year, as others have noted above, it was 30-ish in the autumn. We had gone earlier in the year, and family matters meant that we had to cancel our planned visit in the fall.

At 30, walking on the unshaded dirt roads through fields, or walking along secondary roads, is not very pleasant. The coastal route should be much more pleasant. You'll get the ocean breezes. There is a not-very-high but significant range of hills between the coast and the Tejo "flatlands" where the central route south of Tomar runs, and curves around to block that heat just north of the river (i.e. at Vila Nova da Barquinha). Those hills trap the interior heat in the Tejo valley. It's not till you get over them, and past Tomar, that the heat moderates, if there happens to be a heatwave when you arrive.

Here, in Portuguese but easy to figure out, are the averages for Santarem, which is the regional centre with fairly representative weather for that whole area south of Tomar, which is what you want to consider. Unfortunately, their averages cover only to the year 2000. With climate change, it's probably safe to say that the new "averages" are close to the red line, which was the earlier days' extreme max.

Bom caminho, whichever route you choose!

Last edited:
I walked in September from Porto to Santiago and whilst it was warm, even hot, during the day, it was quite chilly in the evenings/at night. Also, from Porto count with lots of other pilgrims on the way as September is in many European countries holiday time.
BC SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Also, is there a big temp difference between starting in Lisbon and ending in SdC? I'm thinking of what to pack/wear. thanks in advance.

Short answer: yes. You may want to plan some warmer stuff to mail from Lisbon to, perhaps, Tomar or Coimbra if you want to do the central route. In September, you're not likely to need it south of there, but then you start getting into a cooler region--and of course, being autumn, you're getting later in the year as well.

Similarly, you're not likely to need rain gear south of there, but quite possibly north of.

Bom caminho!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back