• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Temperatures on the North route in May

JelteV

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi, I'm planning to do my first Camino and it will be the northern route and changing to the Primitivo around Oviedo. I'm now starting to organize my stuff, and I'm wondering which temperatures I need to prepare for. I'm definitely taking a light water-/windproof jacket, will it be sufficient to bring a fleece and some insulating layers, or do I need to prepare for seriously cold temperatures? Any help is greatly appreciated!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I'm planning to do my first Camino and it will be the northern route and changing to the Primitivo around Oviedo. I'm now starting to organize my stuff, and I'm wondering which temperatures I need to prepare for. I'm definitely taking a light water-/windproof jacket, will it be sufficient to bring a fleece and some insulating layers, or do I need to prepare for seriously cold temperatures? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Seriously cold temperatures? For a Canadian, this conjures images of -27C with a strong wind. The Norte portion features palm trees of different types in abundance. You'll be fine with a long sleeve, a fleece, and a rain jacket in May. The Norte is at low altitude for the most part and along the sea cost, so its warmer than say, the Frances. I would expect the part you want to research is the Primitivo. Although you will be there later in the spring, and it will be that much warmer seasonally, the Primitivo also is at higher altitude and away from the ocean. If its going to get cold on you, it will likely later in the walk. Seriously cold? No chance.......

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for your replies! That's reassuring, Rick. It's what I more or less expected, but it's good to have a confirmation. Yeah, it sounded a bit dramatic, here in the Netherlands it doesn't get that cold anymore ;)

You'll be in the mountains, and it gets chilly. I've done Camino del Norte twice in May and it was never hot, so I would say convertible pants would be a good option.
Lightweight synthetic/down jacket is a must and it won't take much room in your pack (I love my Mont-bell Superior Down Parka at 7.7 oz (217 g). Definitely bring a long sleeved top - preferably a lightweight wool, and have a short sleeve one too, in a lightweight wool. I'm partial to wool because of all its marvelous qualities - especially not retaining odor, and I can attest to that from years of experience:) Also, of course a rain jacket and if you can, take a lightweight windbreaker, it comes in very handy!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will also be hiking the Norte in May and was concerned about the same thing. As they say, we pack our fears and I am afraid of being cold. I will take a down puffer, long sleeve wool and probably a thinner fleece.

I think that they say don't pack your fears!
Do pack your fears. I am afraid of getting cold. There have been a few hikes that I have shivered at the end of the day. Haven't shivered very much when I was actually hiking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I pretty sure they say we pack our fears, that is why so many people tend to over pack!
So what does it mean to pack your own fears? Simply put this phrase relates to carrying things in your pack based on your worries or fears; your worst case scenario. If you think you'll be cold, you pack to avoid that. If you think you'll be hungry, you'll carry lots of food.

The Norte can be unpredictable. In my experience in 2018 I had 14 days of intermittent rain between July and August, but only 1-2 days of which I would describe it as cold weather.
Either way it is a beautiful route. Enjoy your walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.